Wayne Rooney - Derby County player

DoomSlayer

Oh sorry are we only supposed to be blowing smoke up his arse in this thread? With the ability he had he should still be here shepherding this squad like Giggs and Scholes did for him but instead he let himself go and semi-retired at 31.
Still the all-time top goalscorer of the club and top 3 or top 5 in assists made. Not bad for someone who let himself go.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Did nothing much when I watched him in the first 20min. Only did one touch passing to keep possession. So I switched off to Liverpool game, and it seems he got involved in Derby’s goal.

stevoc

He would be a better option than lingard, mata or Pereira in the 10...even though I can just see the raking crosses to the wings from deep.
You know what that might actually be true and it's utterly depressing.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Still the all-time top goalscorer of the club and top 3 or top 5 in assists made. Not bad for someone who let himself go.
What does that have to do with anything? He was one of the greatest during his prime, and then he deteriorated almost overnight. Way too early age-wise.

These two things are not mutually exclusive. Both are true.

stevoc

Oh sorry are we only supposed to be blowing smoke up his arse in this thread? With the ability he had he should still be here shepherding this squad like Giggs and Scholes did for him but instead he let himself go and semi-retired at 31.
I have no doubt Rooney could have been more professional and probably played at United for longer had he been. But theres not many players, even top ones that had the same longevity as Giggs.

Of all the top players United have had over the last 30 years how many were still at United and playing to a high level at 34?

el3mel

Feels so weird seeing him in their shirt. Good luck for him though.

el3mel

Seriously why did we get rid of him. Solskjaer would never sell him.
I love him but really ? Is this question for real ? He was totally washed out for his last 3 years.

That was a game of his last year with us :

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I have no doubt Rooney could have been more professional and probably played at United for longer had he been. But theres not many players, even top ones that had the same longevity as Giggs.

Of all the top players United have had over the last 30 years how many were still at United and playing to a high level at 34?

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Nicely scripted. Camera shows Colleen opening a bottle of plonk in the exec box, Rooney takes the free kick and Marriott finally scores after missing some good chances in the 1st half.
Poor Wayne having to go bail her out after a tough game of footy - after all drinking alcohol in sight of the pitch is an arrestable offence :)

Walters_19_MuFc

So the answer is nothing? Thanks for clarifying.

Marcelinho87

not to mention was regularly playing from 16!

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Did anyone see the post-match interview with him?

They asked if he'd be getting straight in the ice bath afterwards and his response was a sheepish "I've never gone in for ice baths or any of that post-match recovery stuff. I just let my body sort itself out naturally," or words to that effect. With Darren Fletcher stood next to him nodding to confirm.

You couldn't make it up. Surely with assets as valuable as professional footballers are these days you'd expect post-game conditioning and recuperation techniques to be mandatory.

stevoc

So over the last 30 years 16 players 34 and over were still racking up 40+ games a season at United?

Fair enough you might be right mate didn't think there'd be so many, do you have the names as i'm genuinely interested?

Last edited:

RUCK4444

Why do people come in here to shit on one of our most successful players in history? Baffles the feck out of me!
Mate it would surprise me if I came in here and people weren’t shitting all over him.

He was a feckin unbelievable player for us. I would sell our entire front line and Pogba for an 18 year old Rooney.

Foxbatt

He was terrible for us in the end but maybe the pressure of carrying a shite United team took its toll on him? He was good with DC and his first touch and control had come back. I could never forget his dribble against Palace in the Cup Final.
Yes he is still better than Lingard and he can take a free kick better than Fred. He is not going to last long but yeah he is still better than some of our current players who play regularly.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
They asked if he'd be getting straight in the ice bath afterwards and his response was a sheepish "I've never gone in for ice baths or any of that post-match recovery stuff. I just let my body sort itself out naturally," or words to that effect. With Darren Fletcher stood next to him nodding to confirm.
Pretty much explains why he is in the retirement mode in his early 30s. Shame because he was a great player.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Mate it would surprise me if I came in here and people weren’t shitting all over him.

He was a feckin unbelievable player for us. I would sell our entire front line and Pogba for an 18 year old Rooney.
Same. Easily.

Paul_Scholes18

Looked very slow today which you can understand. Although his passing was still top class and the effort was there. Great win for them and great start for Rooney.

Bojan11

Looked very slow today which you can understand. Although his passing was still top class and the effort was there. Great win for them and great start for Rooney.
It's his second game in like three days after being out for months and he is 34. Do you expect him to be lightening fast or something?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It's his second game in like three days after being out for months and he is 34. Do you expect him to be lightening fast or something?
I’d take him in his present condition over some of our faux stars

Paul_Scholes18

When did I say that I expected him to look like he did in 2010? I just commented based on this game.

Utdstar01

I think he was in awful physical condition in those last couple of seasons for us which hampered his overall game massively. He looked better for Everton albeit nothing special. The move to LA was the best move he could've made at that point in his career and he's made a good start at Derby. Wish him the best.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
A lot of revisionism going on in this thread.

In his last 3 seasons with us, he was terrible, and he was awful for Everton too.

He's a class player, and that never left him, his record goal confirmed that, but let's not pretend he could ever be the answer to any of our problems.

Paul_Scholes18

A lot of revisionism going on in this thread.

In his last 3 seasons with us, he was terrible, and he was awful for Everton too.

He's a class player, and that never left him, his record goal confirmed that, but let's not pretend he could ever be the answer to any of our problems.
Not an answer, but could probably do a job. Lingard, Pereira, Mata are not really doing much at the moment anyway. With Rooney you at least get some good crosses and corners. Poor defending though, but we do not press well anyway. Although if Ole would start making him captain and always play him it would be a problem.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Not an answer, but could probably do a job. Lingard, Pereira, Mata are not really doing much at the moment anyway. With Rooney you at least get some good crosses and corners. Poor defending though, but we do not press well anyway. Although if Ole would start making him captain and always play him it would be a problem.
No

TheReligion

Abusive
Because some on here still think he'd do a good job for us
A better post would have been explaining what a legend Rooney was with United and how class he was for us. Then explaining his performances at the top level has dipped and he simply wasn't up to it anymore.

That just looks like you're being nasty about our Wayne who was brilliant for us over the years.

mu4c_20le

Because some on here still think he'd do a good job for us
Some said he'd do a better job than Lingard and Mata, which is true, because even at his poorest he was still delivering on goals and assists. Not to mention leadership, and a winning mentality, something we sorely lack these days.