Wayne Rooney inducted into the Premier League hall of fame

GueRed

A proper United Legend.

Disrespected and disgracefully made scapegoat post-Fergie/LVG era by a lot of fans.
The M.E.N and those full-time Devils clowns McKola and Howson amongst those leading the charge.

Cole9

In his prime he was a truly great player and he worked tirelessly for the team.

Someone whose commitment on the pitch can never be questioned.
... but this is nonsense. Many of his performances in his last 2-3 years for United were disgraceful. It could even be argued that he'd mentally checked out a couple of years before that. He was clearly just there for the pay check at that point and it showed in his performances. We really shouldn't have given him that new contract in the Moyes era. He was dreadful in Fergie's last season and he knew it himself. He didn't even argue or seem bothered when he kept getting subbed off.

It's a shame because it sours my memories of him as a United player. We'd have been better off cashing in on him in 2013.

A well-deserved place in the hall of fame though. I'd love to have a young Rooney in the team now.

pascell

My favourite player growing up, Rooney had it all, dribbling, passing range, tenacity, aggression, precision with his shooting, work rate and always was passionate and worked for the team.

He'd be up there as best in the world if he was breaking through now, what a player.

b82REZ

Towards the end of his career I really soured on him. The transfer request was the real kick in the teeth that did it, but the "my captain shall always play" period, along with his rather rapid decline all contributed.

As the years have passed my views have softened and I am now able to recognise him as a true legend of the club. Absolutely unplayable on his day and probably sacrificed himself too much for the team. Had he had the single mindedness of Ronaldo I genuinely think we could have been talking about him, Ronaldo and Messi in the same conversation. He had all the tools.

frostbite

Congratulations to Rooney! A real legend. He was a fantastic player with a fire in his soul. We were lucky to have him during his best years.

Dread Devil

Cantona
Rooney, Nistelrooy
the rest
I would have Cantona, Rooney and then Scholes but I absolutely loved Van Nistelrooy as well….tough call for sure….

They all had that desire, they never gave up and fought anyone…..what a brilliant era…

RVN1991

He was my favorite player in my teens until he wanted to join City. Fair play to him though, well deserved.

AaronRedDevil

I miss here the announcers screaming his name when he scores. Best feeling ever. Rooooney!

predator

Youth NITK
I dont know of any players who scored more goals int their career that made you wow.

An absolute monster of a player over a long period. At his peak he was unstoppable and his goal records speak for themselves despite him being much more than a goalscorer.

I certainly miss him. In my opinion he is the greatest English footballer of all time and arguably Uniteds aswell.

Wilt

I would have Cantona, Rooney and then Scholes but I absolutely loved Van Nistelrooy as well….tough call for sure….

They all had that desire, they never gave up and fought anyone…..what a brilliant era…
Yes, without doubt a lot of folk will have Scholes as top three.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think the best thing we can say about him is, even in a team with a Balon D'or winning Ronaldo, he was the one that fans loved the most. And I think when he didn't play we never seemed as good. He was the talisman of that team, from 06-09, inspite of the presence of Ronaldo.

AdNani

I always preferred Rooney as a player to Ronaldo, Ronaldo was quite obviously better, but there was something about Rooney.

Feel like if he wasn't so eager to get involved in the Build up and just focussed on being a #9 he'd of shattered Shearers record. in 09/10 he was unplayable. But has been on Record saying he didn't like not being involved as much so asked Sir Alex if he could drop to #10.

Very creative and a terrific finisher. Miss him.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I think the best thing we can say about him is, even in a team with a Balon D'or winning Ronaldo, he was the one that fans loved the most. And I think when he didn't play we never seemed as good. He was the talisman of that team, from 06-09, inspite of the presence of Ronaldo.
Literally none of this is true. I worked in the megastore in 08, Ronaldo outsold everything 10 to 1. He was literally a superstar. Viva Ronaldo was THE song both home and away. He scored 42 goals that season and so many of them were important goals that won games. If you added up the points his goals won us that season and compared that to other players, not only that his overall performances were unbelievable and consistently so, something Rooney never really managed. His effect on that team was Cantona-esque from 06-09. We won the league three times in a row, the CL, the world club cup and league cup in those three years. You need only look at the four years after until SAF retired and how much less we won, we fell short most often without Ronaldo.

little.triangles

Literally none of this is true. I worked in the megastore in 08, Ronaldo outsold everything 10 to 1. He was literally a superstar. Viva Ronaldo was THE song both home and away. He scored 42 goals that season and so many of them were important goals that won games. If you added up the points his goals won us that season and compared that to other players, not only that his overall performances were unbelievable and consistently so, something Rooney never really managed. His effect on that team was Cantona-esque from 06-09. We won the league three times in a row, the CL, the world club cup and league cup in those three years. You need only look at the four years after until SAF retired and how much less we won, we fell short most often without Ronaldo.
Agree that Ronaldo had a great impact, but United lost out on the league in 2010 only because of Drgoba's offside goal, won the league in 2011, lost the league only on GD in 2012, and won the league again in 2013. Add to that the Champons League final in 2011 - losing only to the greatest club side ever assembled (EDIT: and which had beaten us in 09 with Ronaldo in our team).

We didn't win as much since Ronaldo left not so much because he left but because we replaced him with Valencia and not somebody like Ribery. Even a player half as capable as Ronaldo would have sufficed because our team was that good overall, and Rooney was an integral part of it.

Varun

Staff
What a player he was, my favorite from his generation. Absolute legend

Baneofthegame

I think people associate Rooney with the years after Ferguson more so than the years prior for whatever reason. After Ronaldo left we very nearly won 4 in a row with Rooney as the focal point of our team.

Its a shame he couldn’t prolong his career further but imagine we had prime Rooney in our side now, it would be phenomenal.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I dislike the fact that fans don’t rate Rooney purely due to his flirting with Man City.

The relationship in the end didn’t happen.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Agree that Ronaldo had a great impact, but United lost out on the league in 2010 only because of Drgoba's offside goal, won the league in 2011, lost the league only on GD in 2012, and won the league again in 2013. Add to that the Champons League final in 2011 - losing only to the greatest club side ever assembled (EDIT: and which had beaten us in 09 with Ronaldo in our team).

We didn't win as much since Ronaldo left not so much because he left but because we replaced him with Valencia and not somebody like Ribery. Even a player half as capable as Ronaldo would have sufficed because our team was that good overall, and Rooney was an integral part of it.
So yes like I said….we fell short. With Ronaldo we won the league three times on the run and without him we fell short.

What a weird thing to say we didn’t win as much, not due to Ronaldo leaving but because we didn’t sign someone half as good?
So not having a player twice as good as the player we didn’t sign would have made no difference.

You do realise Ronaldo is one of the greatest players that has ever lived?

Herman Toothrot

Rooney's short-term legacy was tarnished by a pile-up of circumstances from telling the club he 'wanted away' to a decline in his own ability, the decline in the club post-Fergie and it all being painfully dragged out by a contract he never should have been offered. I was as guilty as anyone in wanting it all to end and never quite loving him as much as I once did. That's all gone now and with clear distance, there's nothing but affection. Easily up there with the best footballers I've ever seen, over the course of a career, I don't think he gets in that "GOAT" bracket which bores endlessly debate, but on his day he was as good as any player has ever been. He was a super-intelligent player, smarter than those 'better' than him and he did the dirty work for the team, often sacrificing himself to serve up others' greatness. A belter of a player.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am so pissed how underrated he is among fans and especially United fans. One of our greatest players ever.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
A proper United Legend.

Disrespected and disgracefully made scapegoat post-Fergie/LVG era by a lot of fans.
The M.E.N and those full-time Devils clowns McKola and Howson amongst those leading the charge.
100% agreement. He broke our goal scoring record (and englands!), 120 caps for England. Not only was he a great goalscorer, he was a great team player, often played out of position to accommodate others or accomplish a task. When you consider that, it’s amazing his goals were so consistent.
it could be years before we see another at that level

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
100% agreement. He broke our goal scoring record (and englands!), 120 caps for England. Not only was he a great goalscorer, he was a great team player, often played out of position to accommodate others or accomplish a task. When you consider that, it’s amazing his goals were so consistent.
This is a thing which is rarely mentioned among fans. He was striker and always said that he likes to play there but he never made a fuss about switching positions for others. With Ruud he was second striker, with Ronaldo and Tevez he played on the left, with RVP he played as second striker/no10. Also penalty duty; he (who was pretty good in that) was always behind someone .
And he always, absolutely always gave everything in games. Even when he was at his peak he didn't behave as superstar.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
This is a thing which is rarely mentioned among fans. He was striker and always said that he likes to play there but he never made a fuss about switching positions for others. With Ruud he was second striker, with Ronaldo and Tevez he played on the left, with RVP he played as second striker/no10. Also penalty duty; he (who was pretty good in that) was always behind someone .
And he always, absolutely always gave everything in games. Even when he was at his peak he didn't behave as superstar.
He preferred playing as a second striker, he didn’t enjoy playing as a 9. Hence why he never made a fuss.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I think he averaged about 16 league goals a season and often scored in bursts. I don’t think he was generally a consistent goal scorer week in week out, other than a couple of outliers.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think he averaged about 16 league goals a season and often scored in bursts. I don’t think he was generally a consistent goal scorer week in week out, other than a couple of outliers.
So we should criticize our top scorer instead then?

rooney at the time of the city debacle was rightly trying to force more money investment. Yet he still lingers in peoples memories as someone who wanted away.
rio on the other hand never gets a mention, despite sneaky dinners/talk with him, his agent and Kenyon who was at Chelsea at the time.

we should consider ourselves lucky that Rooney played for us for so long and didnt Clear off abroad. I know Ronaldo was trying to get him to Madrid