Wayne Rooney interview

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Besides Big Ron, there are a couple of candidates (as per a quick browse): there's a couple of pre-Mangnall managers whose exact birthplace isn't listed (as far as I can tell). Could be a Scouser lurking there.

lsd

The Oracle
Does he really think Tevez understood anything he said though? I mean most English people find it hard to understand Rooney what chance did Tevez have?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yes, I was wondering. As I'm not from the UK is there much of a distinction between Scouser by birth and Scouser by club association?
In football terms, I suppose you can call even someone like Rafael Benitez a ""Scouser".

But then again, it would make very little sense to call Matt Busby a "Scouser" just because he played for Liverpool.

It would depend entirely on how much the individual person is associated with Liverpool (the city or the club).

One might also add that if Busby had played for Everton, it would be even more ridiculous to call him a "Scouser" (which makes no sense in anything but the isolated context of the United-Liverpool rivalry).

In a football context, especially for United fans, the term "Scouse" refers mainly to anything or anyone associated with Liverpool FC (and to a much lesser degree anything or anyone associated with Everton or other possible Liverpool area teams).

In a general context, a "Scouser" is a person from the city of Liverpool (and its environs to some extent, I suppose).

ETA To a United fan from Manchester, Wayne Rooney will probably be less of a "Scouser" than Kenny Dalglish - in spite of the fact that the former was born and bred in Liverpool and the latter only moved there for professional reasons at the age of 26 (and was a United fan as a teenager).

Last edited:

Nikelesh Reddy

A true United legend…One of the all time greats,it was a privilege to watch him wear a United shirt for so many years…

CantonaManc

See where they play, how they play, if they play..
Supports
ETH's tricky reds

Last edited:

Revaulx

Always interesting to hear Rooney’s takes on stuff. Unlike most other ex-United legends, he doesn’t seem to live in the past.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Credit for the job they have done? I wish he'd elaborate on that because it makes zero sense.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
So is he dead to us or what?
He didnt talk shit about Glazers and fancies Arsenal to challenge again.

massey

He does talk some waffle but he should be involved with the club in some capacity later on in life he gave soo much to us and apart from shagging granny's isn't the worst human being.

Oldyella

Always interesting to hear Rooney’s takes on stuff. Unlike most other ex-United legends, he doesn’t seem to live in the past.
Suppose he's a bit younger than some others we hear from, and played as our star was beginning to wane. Also, he's never struck me as emotially attached to the club like Rio, or Evra etc.

Nickelodeon

Is there a video or audio available for this interview? Couldn't find one on YouTube or Athletic.

Tarrou

Credit for the job they have done? I wish he'd elaborate on that because it makes zero sense.
he's always been quite diplomatic, has Wayne

I doubt there's anything more to it than that

even when Ronaldo mugged him off he was quite nice about it

Real Name

Saying all the right things. He really comes across good whenever he talks about football. He was always portrayed as thick or something but he's far from that.

Tarrou

Saying all the right things. He really comes across good whenever he talks about football. He was always portrayed as thick or something but he's far from that.
Yeah he does seem like a thoughtful bloke. Sorta reminds me of Tyson in a way, who obviously has his reputation, and probably had a chaotic child-hood but underneath all those layers is a thoughtful and intelligent person.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
For the playing staff they have been fantastic employers. So many of our players have gotten contracts they wouldn't elsewhere. I hate the Glazers as much as everyone, but I can understand why the players probably wouldn't begrudge them too much.

Like Neville has said many times, as a player you don't interact with them and they never bother you.

Real Name

Yeah he does seem like a thoughtful bloke. Sorta reminds me of Tyson in a way, who obviously has his reputation, and probably had a chaotic child-hood but underneath all those layers is a thoughtful and intelligent person.
Yeah, really good comparison that.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
‘The Glazers gave me millions of pounds and it’s possible I might get another job from them one day… but equally, I do agree with what the fans say, though they’re wrong, all in all, a change is needed.’

:lol: Ok Wayne.

Revaulx

Suppose he's a bit younger than some others we hear from, and played as our star was beginning to wane. Also, he's never struck me as emotially attached to the club like Rio, or Evra etc.
Indeed. Also he got away from SAF’s paternalistic control earlier than most due to the latter’s retirement. Plus being really up against it at Derby gave him experience of a very different football world that most of our old boys have been isolated from.

Oldyella

Indeed. Also he got away from SAF’s paternalistic control earlier than most due to the latter’s retirement. Plus being really up against it at Derby gave him experience of a very different football world that most of our old boys have been isolated from.
Yeah, Derby point is a good one.