Wayne Rooney: Man Utd players need to fear Solskjaer and Carrick

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
This stuff is tiring. I highly doubt social media is the problem.

GBBQ

i think in general what Rooney is saying is correct, the manager needs to rule the club and there has to be a certain element of fear to stop players stepping out of line. I just don't see those two as inspiring fear in players. they seem like good decent blokes.

Aloysius's Back 3

I loved the way Nicky Butt talked about A. Pereira as a 'little boy' - I'm telling you Butt has a good chance of being this scary manager in the future.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Rooney's point is not that social media is a problem, its that the lack of change to social media strategies shows a flippancy about the club's results and a lack of willingness to take responsibility. He's saying players can tell the people that work for them 'look we've had a bad result, don't put stuff up.' He's implying that because they don't care enough about the club, or can hide behind other people when criticised, they aren't bothered enough by what's happening on the pitch to let it affect their off the pitch activities.

redcafe_reader

I don't think Rooney (Or Neville before him) said social media is the problem. Attitude is the problem, and posting on social media about the clothing range after the lost is the evidence of that problem.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Well said Wayne. Agree with him here.

TRUERED89

Do Liverpool's players fear Klopp? I doubt it, they just love him and are willing to run through walls for him. Our squad is just a mess, JLingz and Rashy too busy thinking they've made it, more focused on fashion and chains than what they're actually paid a salary for! If these 2 had won a PL couple times we could cut some slack. I do think Ole has a hairdryer in him though and he will get ruthless with some of these soft marshmallows.

CM

Didn't this sort of stuff happen frequently when Rooney was club captain?

Skills

Snitch
This is bullshit. The last thing Ole wants to look like is a phony. Good managers and leaders stay true to who they are. Once they start pretending to be someone else that's usually a recipe for disaster.

Maticmaker

Rooney's probably right, but its getting equal amounts of each!

With any manager, fear without respect is not good for confidence-building and respect without fear usually amounts to an appreciation of the individual but not necessarily application of their ideas.

Theory X ("do as I say") managers tend to kick everybody's backside every day whether they need it or not, this can be useful in a crisis, but not the basis for moving things forward. Theory Z ("one of the boys") are overly concerned with providing players with comfort zones when needed, but unfortunately with this type of manager having once provided the 'comfort zone' finds it impossible to get some players out of it. Theory Y ("fear and respect in equal measure") Managers are the most likely to succeed, but they need a strategy and various plans, that everyone buys into and those who need help in fulfilling their roles get it, and those who don't want to/or who are incapable of 'buying' in, get moved on rapidly, before their discontentment spreads to others.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Do Liverpool's players fear Klopp? I doubt it, they just love him and are willing to run through walls for him. Our squad is just a mess, JLingz and Rashy too busy thinking they've made it, more focused on fashion and chains than what they're actually paid a salary for! If these 2 had won a PL couple times we could cut some slack. I do think Ole has a hairdryer in him though and he will get ruthless with some of these soft marshmallows.
Indeed I think the manage through fear is an outdated tactic now (something I would have thought Rooney would have recognised what with him still be an active player)

It seems it is more about respect, admiration and buying into a psychology that gets players playing for a manager now rather than simply doing so to avoid a bollocking

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
feckin hell, would NOT have Rooney down as someone who would host a podcast.

I'm impressed.

Kostov

Social media is not the problem, it's not even the point Rooney makes. It's that these players hardly care about the situation. They go on lose a game, play shit and they are not hurt. Some of them are not even winners, their pride isn't hurt, they are happy to play second fiddle to the likes of City and Liverpool. The mentality is all wrong and they demonstrate it through social media. Or at least that is how I interpret those comments.

Kostov

Rooney's point is not that social media is a problem, its that the lack of change to social media strategies shows a flippancy about the club's results and a lack of willingness to take responsibility. He's saying players can tell the people that work for them 'look we've had a bad result, don't put stuff up.' He's implying that because they don't care enough about the club, or can hide behind other people when criticised, they aren't bothered enough by what's happening on the pitch to let it affect their off the pitch activities.
I don't think Rooney (Or Neville before him) said social media is the problem. Attitude is the problem, and posting on social media about the clothing range after the lost is the evidence of that problem.
This.

LiquidSnake

That's definitely what he's implying.

I don't know if anyone else remembers when there was a NFL game in London after United lost in the FA cup semi final IIRC. Rio (who is like the godfather of the twitter/instagram/side-business generation), mainly because of respect for the fans after a loss in semi final derby, didn't went to the game.

It's up for people to valuate those type of things, hardcore fans see through this stuff some others might be like "Ehh it's not that important". But the thing is that, nevertheless you can definitely see this as a mark of respect and clearly see that a player care. In this example, if he went to the game, it shouldn't mean he didn't care but cancelling it clearly show he did care. I think that's those type of things, that supporters are missing from this current crop. The season was abymissal but people don't feel like this team feels that terrible about it.

Hence, the (IMHO) disproportionate outrage about the whole social media thing.

predator

Youth NITK
I wonder who knows best.

A player who is still playing, who has won everything at club level, is MUFC's top goalscorer and has played under the best manager ever?

Or a guy on the internet?

It's a tough one.

Mal donaghy

i think in general what Rooney is saying is correct, the manager needs to rule the club and there has to be a certain element of fear to stop players stepping out of line. I just don't see those two as inspiring fear in players. they seem like good decent blokes.
Exactly, as I have said before, picture this scenario, you are a pro footballer who's playing in a crucial game, your 2 nil down, half times approaching and you were at fault for one of the goals, now you know at half time your gonna have to face the gaffer who is Klopp, picture Klopps face contorted with rage all them teeth snarling right in your grill, likewise same scenario but this time its Pep who is In your face waving his arms about spittle hitting you in the face from the frothing mouth of an angry Spaniard, right same thing only this time you know when you get to the dressing room theres no Klopp, no Pep, what you have awaiting you is a very cross Ole solskjaer!! Exactly, doesnt instill fear that image does it, that's why Ole wont last 2 months into the new season,

So what Wayne's saying is spot on.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The point he makes about the lack of accountability is the most telling. If we lose a game and fingers get pointed at players, the next day you hear reports of how that player wants to leave the club or some other club is linked to him. People like to talk about how football is just a profession for these guys but in everyday life, how many of us want to change companies just because people criticized us?? At the end of the day you have to stand up and fight but players want to take the easy option of running away or blaming it on someone else. When Ole speaks about getting the right kind of players, I think this what he is alluding to. Getting people with the mental fortitude to ride over a storm and not jump ship at the first sign of trouble. How many of this current lot have that?? Forget about talent and tactics and club structure and what not, this is the thing that needs to be rectified first.Getting in people at all levels of the club, from manager to players, who have the fortitude to be able to hold themselves accountable for their mistakes.

Revaulx

Social media is not the problem, it's not even the point Rooney makes. It's that these players hardly care about the situation. They go on lose a game, play shit and they are not hurt. Some of them are not even winners, their pride isn't hurt, they are happy to play second fiddle to the likes of City and Liverpool. The mentality is all wrong and they demonstrate it through social media. Or at least that is how I interpret those comments.
Not saying you’re wrong, but why is it that City and Liverpool (and Spurs, Wolves, Leicester presumably) seem to get by without having these issues? Do you think it’s an ethos that’s handed down from the top? Woodward telling everyone success on the field doesn’t really matter?

Red_Legion

Slavan Bilic made a similar but more indepth point about this too on a BT sport show once. It's not about putting the literal fear in players but that the club need to show that they are backing the coaching staff and not allow players to down tools anytime they can't be arsed and want to get rid of the manager.

Would love to see it happen but at present moment I doubt Ole lasts the next full season if we pick up from where we left off. The transfer window will be useful indicator of if the board are still backing him after rushing to give him the job and seeing the state of the team in the closing weeks.

passing-wind

You can take two looks at Solskjaer and Carrick and the last thing any sane person is going to feel is fear.

Kostov

Not saying you’re wrong, but why is it that City and Liverpool (and Spurs, Wolves, Leicester presumably) seem to get by without having these issues? Do you think it’s an ethos that’s handed down from the top? Woodward telling everyone success on the field doesn’t really matter?
Of course that it is coming from the top, the rot at the club is coming from deep within. Who pays and tolerates this primadonas? Who renews their contracts on enormous wages they wouldn't be getting anywhere else? Ed Woodward is the only constant.

Owen06

How about we hire a good and proven manager like tuchel or pochetinho?

Steve Bruce

How about we hire a good and proven manager like tuchel or pochetinho?
What has potch proved?

I rate potch I really do but he hasn't proven himself at the top tier in the transfer market and he hasn't won any trophies anywhere.

Arsene wenger managed with big restrictions and still won trophies.

Tuchell I haven't a personal opinion. I know of him but i haven't looked into him in any great detail.

Laurent blanc not so long ago was the flavour of the month. What about him

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
There's a culture of apathy at the club right now. Are the players at fault? Yes. But i think its missing the point to lay the blame at the players. They are not the ones solely responsible.

The Glazers & Woodward are. When Woodward publicly states that results have little impact on the club. When they clearly do not care to compete with the top clubs. When they show a lack of ambition to re-sign our mediocre players in the midst of a shambolic season. When they are happy to just finish in top 4 every year picking up their dividends. That is apathy coming straight right from the top.

There are no standards at the club. You can perform as bad as you like and still you will be safe at the club. Proven as to JLingz still being referred to as a young kid and Jones, Smalling & Young rewarded with new contracts.

How can you blame the players for not caring when the owners dont care themselves? It makes no sense to me. It's all just one big con at the minute and the fans are being royally taken advantage of by the Glazers.

Leif GW

The only thing scary about Solskjaer is that he reignites memories of Moyes.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
As for Rooney's comments on the players needing to fear Ole & Carrick... What a complete load of rubbish. It's either in their nature or not. It would be stupid to try and be something they're not.

All they need to do is provide the players with a winning philosophy & strong guidance, then the players will fall into line & they will earn their mutual respect. (Look at Klopp, the players don't fear him, they love him.)

If the players can smell incompetency from them (wouldn't be surprised), then no amount of fear will change that and they're already dead men walking.