Wayne Rooney: Man Utd players need to fear Solskjaer and Carrick

Owen06

What has potch proved?

I rate potch I really do but he hasn't proven himself at the top tier in the transfer market and he hasn't won any trophies anywhere.

Arsene wenger managed with big restrictions and still won trophies.

Tuchell I haven't a personal opinion. I know of him but i haven't looked into him in any great detail.

Laurent blanc not so long ago was the flavour of the month. What about him
When I say proven I'm not talking about trophies.i'm talking about the ability to coach a team to play cohesive football at the top level.
We haven't had that in a while and that's every single pundit who has no clue on what to say attack our players and accuse them of downing tools when it's just the managers doing a crap job.

The Firestarter

The fear bullshit again. Do City players fear Pep? The dippers may fear Klopp though, he has this total psycho look.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The fear bullshit again. Do City players fear Pep? The dippers may fear Klopp though, he has this total psycho look.
Yes they know if they don't perform the way he wants they will be on the bench. Look at Sane, look at Aguero when he first arrived.
Meanwhile Ole says he will be ruthless then plays the same players the next game

The Firestarter

Yes they know if they don't perform the way he wants they will be on the bench. Look at Sane, look at Aguero when he first arrived.
Meanwhile Ole says he will be ruthless then plays the same players the next game
Fear is when you are afraid the coach will scream his lungs an inch from your face, and come this close to decking you.

stepic

What has potch proved?

I rate potch I really do but he hasn't proven himself at the top tier in the transfer market and he hasn't won any trophies anywhere.

Tuchell I haven't a personal opinion. I know of him but i haven't looked into him in any great detail.

Poch didn’t spend a penny in the summer and has his team in the CL final ffs.

Cassidy

What has potch proved?

:lol:

Cassidy

That was precisely the type of fear players had towards SAF in his early to mid years.
Thats great but we are now in 2019 and again that is only one type of fear. City players fear Pep in a different way and you see the results

Red00012

i think in general what Rooney is saying is correct, the manager needs to rule the club and there has to be a certain element of fear to stop players stepping out of line. I just don't see those two as inspiring fear in players. they seem like good decent blokes.
It didn’t really work for Mourinho
Why didn't Roy Keane's Villa, Ireland perform again?
Keane never managed Villa or Ireland. Big difference in managing and been assistant .

The Firestarter

Thats great but we are now in 2019 and again that is only one type of fear. City players fear Pep in a different way and you see the results
Yes , we see the results nothing to do with tactics or anything. Fear is the answer.

Cassidy

Yes , we see the results nothing to do with tactics or anything. Fear is the answer.
The turn around in Aguero would suggest the players do actually fear him.
I guess also SAF didn't use any tactics or anything either ey...

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
This whole fear thing is old. Is Pep feared? Put glasses on him and he would look like a French philosopher. Klopp? Pochettino, unlikely to be a fear kind of manager, Sarri? Too busy smoking a pack of cigarettes.

Toad

Kids are bought up around social media and smart phones. Things change and nobody can stop that. But he’s right by saying a fearful manager can stop that. Just goes back to Ferguson all the time though, the beckham hair incident, the hairdryer, no one diserwspected him (except Voldemort). But it takes time to build that stature and that’s what Ole needs.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Ole would have to do something pretty awful to make the squad scared of him.

Like maybe arrive one morning wearing nothing but a suit made from one of your under-performing player's skin? SOTL style.

If I were Ole, I'd go for Sanchez. Get him off the wage bill at the same time as giving out the message that no one is safe.

feck with Ole and he'll skin you and wear it to training.

tenpoless

Ole would have to do something pretty awful to make the squad scared of him.

Like maybe arrive one morning wearing nothing but a suit made from one of your under-performing player's skin? SOTL style.

If I were Ole, I'd go for Sanchez. Get him off the wage bill at the same time as giving out the message that no one is safe.

feck with Ole and he'll skin you and wear it to training.
All He needs to do is to turn up in Cardiff away kit and the players will be shit scared of him, mainly Pogba.

dove

I wouldn't say fear but managers must be ruthless when they have to. You can see the likes of Pep or Klopp getting really mad at players meanwhile Ole is sitting always smiling, I just don't think he has it in him, he can't even drop certain players who perform abysmal.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
And Pep doesn't? The guy looks close to an aneurysm when someone misplaces a pass. I can see him dishing out verbal lashings for the smallest of things.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Good point. Pep may act the nice guy but if you cross him you simply won’t play again

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
What has potch proved?

You must be wumming. You do realize he hasn't spent anything in the summer, and has still reached a CL final beating Dortmund, Pep's City and the best Ajax team in a decade along the way? That too without his best player available most of the time?

TRUERED89

All He needs to do is to turn up in Cardiff away kit and the players will be shit scared of him, mainly Pogba.
That was actually their home colours they wore away to OT, since our colours didnt clash, but yes that would surely work HA.

The Firestarter

The turn around in Aguero would suggest the players do actually fear him.
I guess also SAF didn't use any tactics or anything either ey...
The idea is that there are far more important factors than this perceived 'fear'.

Our players don't give a feck if they are starting or not. They are on ridiculous wages knowing that no other club will pay those, and they will not get transferred. For starters we need personnel that wants to actually achieve something.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's fear as in more "respect" than just pissing yourself at the sight of the manager.
That's obviously what Rooney means, it's a fairly easy point to get

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I take is as He means be scared of being sold or frozen out, should be scared to not give their all on the pitch, scared to act the dick when things are going terribly. I haven’t read the article mind you. Rooneys last few years were shocking. What a fecking player he was though. We Totally took it for granted having class firey players.

Last edited:

TRUERED89

Like I said about Mourinho , it doesn’t really work.
That was the genius of SAF, the best man-manager of all time. He knew which players could handle the hair dryer (Giggs, Sharpe, Rooney, Rio, Scholes, Neville, Keane, Wes Brown, Schemichal, Irwin, Fletcher, Vidic, Evra, Bruce, Pallister) and which ones he needed to treat differently as they wouldn't respond the same way (Cantona, Ronaldo, Nani, RVN, Anderson, Valencia, Berbatov, Veron, Forlan, Hargreaves etc). There is a time and a place for every reaction, SAF perfected it and the whole squad loved/respected him immensely. Rio once said it wasn't until he retired did we truly appreciate how amazing he was.

Cassidy

The idea is that there are far more important factors than this perceived 'fear'.

Our players don't give a feck if they are starting or not. They are on ridiculous wages knowing that no other club will pay those, and they will not get transferred. For starters we need personnel that wants to actually achieve something.
You need to sort this and bring some fear that you can be sold etc.
Yes I agree though that players need self motivation. However you also need the other which is fear of being replaced in the lineup. SAF always spoke about competition for places being important.

Fear of being decked by the manager I feel is less important these days

Wolf8312

This is bullshit. The last thing Ole wants to look like is a phony. Good managers and leaders stay true to who they are. Once they start pretending to be someone else that's usually a recipe for disaster.
Yeah but all leaders like teachers, parents, chefs, need to be feared I think. It might not be fear of violence exactly, but for some followers, just fear of letting a person they respect, and look up to down. Some people command this respect through sheer personality/popularity but very often there is also an element of intimidation in play as well, and that in itself takes a certain kind of person, often the sort of person many would find to be dictatorial and bullying, though one who everyone else, inexplicably seems to follow, or even worship. The Gordon Ramsey, Brian Clough, and Alex Ferguson type (A) personalities, not really very nice people (basically narcissists) probably, but born to lead others (and boss people about).

As Roy Keane shows, this might not in itself make them a good manager, but I do believe its all part of it. I guess I mean that not all good leaders are good managers, but all good managers are also good leaders.

Someone asked if the Liverpool players fear Klopp and I really do believe they will do. He strikes me as a guy who can be pretty tough as well as likable/charismatic in his own way.

I'm not sure Ole strikes me as a leader, though obviously I don't know him.

In his days as a player was he considered a leader?

Last edited:

Gandalf

To be fair Ole did ring the changes when results went south but a lot of what he wanted to do was scuppered by the injury bug. The squad is not actually that massive, particularly at certain positions, and so his hand was forced to keep playing people he would probably rather sit in the stands. I think it is pretty obvious that he exiled Martial so he is certainly willing to do it and after 3 or 4 straight games of watching Tony struggle to move faster than a jog whilst wearing an expression like someone pissed in his chips Ole had seen enough and binned him.

He may not look like a psycho but Ole certainly has steel in him. I watched enough so called hard men try and intimidate him in his playing days and he is no soft touch and he is not afraid of anyone. I expect the change in the squad this summer to be swift and ruthless and some of these nonces won't know what has hit them.

RuudTom83

I don’t think the players need to be scared of Ole scolding them...but they should be scared of losing their place in the team or being sold.

Kicking Martial out wouldn’t be the worse idea to send them all a message!

Dion

I think lots of people are missing the point here. You don't have to fear the person, you have to fear the authority they wield.

No, Liverpool players don't personally fear Klopp but I bet they're damned scared that if they let him down they know they will be the ones sent packing and not him. Same with Guardiola. Don't do what he says and you're gone, no questions asked. For various reasons we haven't had that since SAF left.

KristianMackle

Fear makes the players timid. We just need them to play to their potential and have a manager who will help them tap into that something special they all have.