Wayne Rooney: Man Utd players need to fear Solskjaer and Carrick

Rossa

When has ever fear been a good motivating factor? Being in management myself, I certainly wouldn't want my employees to fear me. They should respect Solskjær and Carrick and be made aware of consequences if they are not loyal. I actually think loyal is key here. The players need to understand what it means to be loyal to the club uv and the supporters. How they act in social media is part of that, as is how they talk about the club.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
People are mixing up the context of fear.

Ferguson never made the players fear expressing themselves or fear talking a risk in the hope of reward.

What he did make them fear was his wrath or worse, the loss of his affection, if he felt they didn’t put enough effort in on the pitch or training field, weren’t prepared to fight for their place or their team mates or if they let off field interests become distractions.

That sort of fear is a healthy motivator and any player that lets it affect their performances and can’t deal with it positively shouldn’t be at the club.

Revaulx

So how is this going to happen? Solskjaer and Carrick to be sent on a course to make them scary?

It doesn't help that some underperformers seem to get away with more than others.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Is Klopp feared or respected and loved? What about pep?

There is not only onw way to achieve something.

In my club we had this legend of a coach. Absolutely brilliant man. He used a bit of terror and inspiration combined with great pedagogy. The players loved him and he made them believe! But he used his mouth and strong words on the training field to push them all the time.

I think the key is establishing that BELIEF combined with a lot of practise on a certain way to play and commit 110%.

And it should never matter if a person is a "superstar" player. Everyone should be treated the same and should respect the manager.
Fear I do not believe in. But maybe a healthy amount of terrorising the players to provoke them to give 110%.

Classical Mechanic

Is Klopp feared or respected and loved? What about pep?

There is not only onw way to achieve something.

In my club we had this legend of a coach. Absolutely brilliant man. He used a bit of terror and inspiration combined with great pedagogy. The players loved him and he made them believe! But he used his mouth and strong words on the training field to push them all the time.

I think the key is establishing that BELIEF combined with a lot of practise on a certain way to play and commit 110%.

And it should never matter if a person is a "superstar" player. Everyone should be treated the same and should respect the manager.
Fear I do not believe in. But maybe a healthy amount of terrorising the players to provoke them to give 110%.
Pretty sure that Klopp carries a fear factor. Have you ever seen the guy lose it? He's like 6ft 5in too or something.

OleGunnar20

The point he makes about the lack of accountability is the most telling. If we lose a game and fingers get pointed at players, the next day you hear reports of how that player wants to leave the club or some other club is linked to him. People like to talk about how football is just a profession for these guys but in everyday life, how many of us want to change companies just because people criticized us?? At the end of the day you have to stand up and fight but players want to take the easy option of running away or blaming it on someone else. When Ole speaks about getting the right kind of players, I think this what he is alluding to. Getting people with the mental fortitude to ride over a storm and not jump ship at the first sign of trouble. How many of this current lot have that?? Forget about talent and tactics and club structure and what not, this is the thing that needs to be rectified first.Getting in people at all levels of the club, from manager to players, who have the fortitude to be able to hold themselves accountable for their mistakes.
Slavan Bilic made a similar but more indepth point about this too on a BT sport show once. It's not about putting the literal fear in players but that the club need to show that they are backing the coaching staff and not allow players to down tools anytime they can't be arsed and want to get rid of the manager.
I'd say the above is the core issue at the heart of the club. People make fun of the clamour for players who'll 'run through brick walls' for the club - insinuating that we're talking about signing 11 clones of Milner - but I think it's a misconception that it's all about hard work on the field.

What we're asking for is players who'll show the right mentality to buy into and then fight for the values of our club - values which need to be passed down from higher up, they don't come from nowhere and they don't take long to dissappear into the ether.

This is why I think Ole needs to be backed long term, even if our results are naff for a year or two. He loves this club more than any other, you can see it a mile off. If he can instill this into a squad of players our results will improve, the atmosphere will improve, and these improvements will cultivate the right environment to bring in talented players who have no prior connection to us and allow them to also buy in, snowballing on and on as we saw during SAFs reign.

Listening to Evra speak to Gary the other day broke my heart as I miss having characters like that representing us more than I do the silverware. Let's hope we can get that back.

People are mixing up the context of fear.

Ferguson never made the players fear expressing themselves or fear talking a risk in the hope of reward.

What he did make them fear was his wrath or worse, the loss of his affection, if he felt they didn’t put enough effort in on the pitch or training field, weren’t prepared to fight for their place or their team mates or if they let off field interests become distractions.

That sort of fear is a healthy motivator and any player that lets it affect their performances and can’t deal with it positively shouldn’t be at the club.
Nail on the head. It's a tricky balance that Sir Alex was an absolute master at pulling off. I hope some of this has rubbed off on Ole.

billybee99

Pretty sure that Klopp carries a fear factor. Have you ever seen the guy lose it? He's like 6ft 5in too or something.
This. Klopp strikes me as an absolute cnut. Everything about this guy scares me: his rants at refs; his psychotic goal celebrations; even all the over-the-top hugging and chest bumping with the players after the game. The guy is nuts. I can easily see him getting in a player''s face on the training ground and going psycho.

OohAahMartial

Fear of being dropped, of being sold, of being ostracized, or fined, are probably what he means here. From what I have read Ole has a ruthless streak to him. Fellaini immediately being sold being evidence of that.

Think Rooney's words are very pointed, as he has been in that dressing room. Blatantly referring to Pogba, Lingard and Lukaku in particular, with their clothing range, aftershave and posting on social media but not taking responsibility for that (Pogba after Jose sacked). They all three hide on the pitch too.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It is important to fear your boss a bit. However on the social media bit - do City and Liverpool players not use it or something? Or are they less flamboyant off the pitch? Have to admit the Lingard and Rashford photos were jarring as feck :lol:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The interesting thing in this thread is how narrow the definition of 'fear' is for some people. Like somebody is only feared if they're Hulk-smashing someone or something. 'Fear' manifests in numerous forms, most of which do not involve violence or the anticipation of it.

The notion Pep or Klopp don't instill fear is ridiculous. Even from their touchline antics tell you: 'do things their way or else' and in a winning team, players are desperate to please their manager and stay in his good graces, for obvious reasons. Being marginalised and alienated in a team that's flying must be a horrid experience and one players wish to avoid.

In a losing team, the fear should be that you'll not be a player at the club much longer unless you buck your ideas up, and this is where we've fallen short for years now.

I think Ole is being underestimated here, also. The bare bones of what he can do comes down to how much authority he is given to clear the squad out as and how he sees fit - there'll be a 'sudden' fear and respect of him as a manager if he's hooking underperformers left, right and centre.

Wayne worked in environments where he saw, all around him, for the majority of his career, how things go for players who fall short of the bar set for them - Rooney was given special permissions and obviously wasn't part of the pack per se until Mourinho arrived, but he did still find himself in the firing line.

Our culture needs to change and the players who are allowed to remain toe the line. Fear will be instilled with that, and not the bench press you through the roof sort.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
The fear bullshit again. Do City players fear Pep? The dippers may fear Klopp though, he has this total psycho look.
Every club Pep has been at the players have feared him. He’s very intense and demanding and players know if they’re on wrong side they will be shipped out. Klopp also is a crazy intense guy.

Being able to create fear isn’t about being physically intimidating like a Keane it is about standards and your aura and ruthlessness.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
The interesting thing in this thread is how narrow the definition of 'fear' is for some people. Like somebody is only feared if they're Hulk-smashing someone or something. 'Fear' manifests in numerous forms, most of which do not involve violence or the anticipation of it.

The notion Pep or Klopp don't instill fear is ridiculous. Even from their touchline antics tell you: 'do things their way or else' and in a winning team, players are desperate to please their manager and stay in his good graces, for obvious reasons. Being marginalised and alienated in a team that's flying must be a horrid experience and one players wish to avoid.

In a losing team, the fear should be that you'll not be a player at the club much longer unless you buck your ideas up, and this is where we've fallen short for years now.

I think Ole is being underestimated here, also. The bare bones of what he can do comes down to how much authority he is given to clear the squad out as and how he sees fit - there'll be a 'sudden' fear and respect of him as a manager if he's hooking underperformers left, right and centre.

Wayne worked in environments where he saw, all around him, for the majority of his career, how things go for players who fall short of the bar set for them - Rooney was given special permissions and obviously wasn't part of the pack per se until Mourinho arrived, but he did still find himself in the firing line.

Our culture needs to change and the players who are allowed to remain toe the line. Fear will be instilled with that, and not the bench press you through the roof sort.
To be honest it isn’t about underestimating Ole - I think we all need to just sit on the fence and see if he is more than just all talk.

GM K

This, this, this.

I wish someone is listening.

If the club fully backs Ole ('fully' including, not just getting the players he wants or selling the ones he wants to sell, but ensuring no player can disrespect or lead a mutiny against him) and is patient enough with him, then he will stand a very good chance of succeeding.

Kemizee

There's a culture of apathy at the club right now. Are the players at fault? Yes. But i think its missing the point to lay the blame at the players. They are not the ones solely responsible.

The Glazers & Woodward are. When Woodward publicly states that results have little impact on the club. When they clearly do not care to compete with the top clubs. When they show a lack of ambition to re-sign our mediocre players in the midst of a shambolic season. When they are happy to just finish in top 4 every year picking up their dividends. That is apathy coming straight right from the top.

There are no standards at the club. You can perform as bad as you like and still you will be safe at the club. Proven as to JLingz still being referred to as a young kid and Jones, Smalling & Young rewarded with new contracts.

How can you blame the players for not caring when the owners dont care themselves? It makes no sense to me. It's all just one big con at the minute and the fans are being royally taken advantage of by the Glazers.
I wish this post is sent as an email to the owners of this club with strong emphasis on the bolded part. Bless you!

arthurka

Players both fear and respect Pep and Klopp, nothing wrong with what Rooney is saying.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Players both fear and respect Pep and Klopp, nothing wrong with what Rooney is saying.
I don't think they fear them as such. There are just minimum levels of expectation which they know they have to meet when it comes to fitness, attitude, etc. and only one option if they don't. You don't have that at United.

The second part of what Rooney is saying has it spot on I think. No one at United has any requirement to take responsibility for their own performance or actions. Never mind there being any standards set on them by anyone else.

There doesn't need to be a battle but Ole needs to say "this is how hard you need to be able to work, and this is the attitude you need to have" and then anyone who doesn't meet it is immediately out of contention. The problem is it's clearly made difficult at United because Woodward has the whole team so tied up in sponsorships and contract negotiations that the players and sponsors hold more cards than the manager does.

Josep Dowling

Fear is the wrong word, surely respecting Solskjaer and Carrick would be better.

The only thing the players should fear is if they are underperforming they will be sold. That unfortunately hasn’t been done for a number of years.

Classical Mechanic

Tbf, our fans would eat up all things Klopp if he were here.
Another poster claimed that Pep or Guardiola don't have the 'fear factor' that Rooney is talking about. I disputed that because I think the players would be scared of Klopp losing his sh*t if they were slacking. He's a big bloke and highly combustible.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Another poster claimed that Pep or Guardiola don't have the 'fear factor' that Rooney is talking about. I disputed that because I think the players would be scared of Klopp losing his sh*t if they were slacking. He's a big bloke and highly combustible.
Gotcha, I completely agree. While it may not be their immediate and preferred choice of communication, clearly both Pep and Klopp can turn on the “fear factor” when necessary. And more importantly, are likely to get a positive response from their players.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
The type of fear Rooney is referring to is that of facing consequences when you don't perform to a certain standard. Too many of our players think they've made it just because they play for the club.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
I think Rooney is saying a manager needs to rule with both fear and respect. You can’t be the players’ buddy all the time (which is the impression I get sometimes from Ole), but nor can you be a miserable sod constantly screaming your head off. With the former, players will walk all over you, and with the latter, they’ll quickly tune you out. It’s a fine line, but Rooney should know as SAF was the master of this.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
"Every player has to feel they must play well or they won't play. They have to feel they must win again or they will have problems, they are in trouble and won't be here any longer."

Pep Guardiola.

That's instilling fear in amongst respect and setting a bar.

He means it, too, which is the kind of weight Ole's words must carry. For that to happen, he has to have 100% backing from Woodward and co.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
If you want players to fear you, you need to have something to threaten them with.

What do you threaten Pogba and DDG with? They will be old? It's most likely what they want anyway.

Martial and Sanchez? Good luck shipping them out given their wages. Rashford? Can anyone really see him being sold?

The others will not be good enough regardless of the manager's approach.

purgethefallen

When I say proven I'm not talking about trophies.i'm talking about the ability to coach a team to play cohesive football at the top level.
We haven't had that in a while and that's every single pundit who has no clue on what to say attack our players and accuse them of downing tools when it's just the managers doing a crap job.
Spurs under Poch this season have played some absolutely tumescent football, as well as us.

Camilo

I just have images of Ole meekly trying to be heard over the players, like a shit supply teacher. Carrick deep in thought wondering what that smell in his car could be.. Mike despairing at the whole shambles. I don't see an iron first of a coaching team.

Monkey bus

Two things need to change for Ole to be respected and, to some extent, feared.

Firstly the people who own the club need to send a clear message Ole has free reign on all things player related and those not up to it will go the same way as Fellaini. Ole needs the club’s support on this.

Second, Ole needs to bring his own players in so he can show the rest of the squad what good looks like. At the moment performance levels are garbage because who on the training pitch do the players compare themselves to? What’s the standard?

If Ole’s allowed to create a culture built around what he believes in and what he stood for on the field then he, and his coaching team won’t go far wrong. None of that includes even raising your voice.

Dan-Utd

Am i the only one who watches a few of the live MLS games on FreeSports (Sky Channel 422)

Rooney's been on there 3 times this week and currently right now - half time, he's still got some magical vision with the football at his feet, what a guy.

hobbers

As has been said plenty of times, the key difference between United and Liverpool/City is that their players don't hold a balance of power of Klopp/Pep. Their players are desperate to impress in every training session and in every match.

Whereas our players behave like they're at Chelsea or Real and can wait out, disrupt or coast through any manager they don't happen to like. And nobody thinks Ole has the nous or the backbone to offset this overwhelming player power we have at the club right now. He may do, but he certainly hasn't shown any of it yet.

But then to look like a manager in full command and above reproach you have to have a tangible philosophy which has been successfully implemented and, most importantly, is bringing results.