Wayne Rooney | Sacked as Birmingham City Manager

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If I'm right in thinking, it was a World Cup year ?
England focusing all its intentions in rushing back its better players for selfish reason's is quite a theme for our nation.
Wasn't so much England that rushed him back as we did. Started the 2nd leg against Bayern, assisted Gibson early but was clearly not even 50% and we ended up losing. Dropped silly points in the rest of the season because he was in and out with his injury, definitely getting injections. Had a terrible world cup, then the threat to leave in 2010/11 while being out for a few months, then a slow 2 months getting back to form before a great last 2-3 months to 2010/11.

Zen86

He really frustrated me in his later years, and I'm not sure I ever fully forgave him for that City episode in all honesty, but there's no denying he was an integral piece of one of our most successful periods ever. Not a bad career, all in all.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Legend.

Just wish he hadn't pushed for moves away a few times because his legacy would be indisputable in my eyes.

Matt007a

The last of the English "Golden Generation". Such was his talent that he's ended up our all time top scorer for club and country and there is still the thought he could have been even better.

Apart from R9 I struggle to think of a better teenager. What he did at Euro 2004 was incredible for someone so young. He put genuine fear in defenders and was the main threat in a team full of world class individuals.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
If Rooney ends up being even a medium success as a manager, that'd be a bigger surprise than us winning the league this year.

Wish him all the best though.

lex talionis

One of the greats in English football history. That video making the rounds on social media brings back so many great memories.

I’ll always believe he left something on the table because he didn’t look after himself as he should have, but my God what a career he had.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
My favourite United player of all time. What a bloody career. And fun part, his numbers could have been even better if he played striker whole career.
Thanks Wayne for everything

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Absolute hero of mine.
Loved his hunger and desire, never gave up.
His management career has started well too.
Although I don't think he has Derby playing the way he truly wants them to play, they set up quite defensively currently, very strong in midfield, usually a 443 interchanging into a 451 with out the ball.
I think the 433 will be the way forward for him eventually, I think the defensive nature will gradually disappear once/if he gets Derby to relative safety.
He seems to love Kazim Richards as a striker and he seems to be getting some goals out of him too.
He has definitely got the team working hard and giving everything for him, so far so good.

Fully Fledged

Great Player, exceptional talent and a superb servant to the club becoming both ours and England's top goal scorer. Congratulations on a brilliant playing career and I wish him ever luck in the future, as long as he is not managing against us. :devil::devil::devil:

Ludens the Red

The last of the English "Golden Generation". Such was his talent that he's ended up our all time top scorer for club and country and there is still the thought he could have been even better.

Apart from R9 I struggle to think of a better teenager. What he did at Euro 2004 was incredible for someone so young. He put genuine fear in defenders and was the main threat in a team full of world class individuals.
I truly believe this is because of Ronaldo and Messi. If Rooney retired in 2006 I don’t think that debate would be had.
A lot of us were pretty annoyed we were shoehorning him in even after he’d lost his ability but then remember what Neville, Giggs and Scholes were like at the end?

Probably didn’t help that his decline coincided with our decline as a club.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Legend. Still remember his debut like it was yesterday.

DoomSlayer

My favourite player of all time. Incredible career and a unique footballing ability. All the best to Wayne in management.

Revaulx

Apparently everyone at Derby has been really impressed with him. He’s shown that he’s not afraid of hard work and has a willingness to get involved at all levels. Which is no guarantee that he will turn out to be a good manager, but is certainly a start.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Absolute legend.

He was just superhuman at 18, so much ability he seemed to have it all.

I remember watching Euro 2004 seeing him, then the injury and feeling like the team was just broken since he seemed to be carrying it, then signing for United and the hat-trick against Fenerbache.

One of my favourite goals of his, so much in his locker.

The goals against Newcastle, City obviously people always show but just the vision and technique to float one over James showed what a player he was.

He did drop off fast and I always think he rushed his recovery after several injuries which never helped.

Hopefully he goes on to do big things as a manager but I'm not sure how he will be as a coach (tactically and so on) but hopefully he does well.

Best of luck.

So much about that makes me happysad.

Classic goal
Classic commentator
Classic atmosphere

I feel old

Fully Fledged

Legend. Still remember his debut like it was yesterday.
I missed the first goal we got stuck in traffic. We were walking towards the ground and heard the cheers and ran the rest of the way. I loved European nights at OT back then.

Aretak

Amazing how underrated he still is by some. United's all-time top scorer. England's all-time top scorer. Second in the Premier League all-time top scorer table AND third in the all-time Premier League assists table. Sure, his last few seasons at the top level were pretty underwhelming, but he was burnt out by that point, having been playing 40-50 games a season for almost 15 years.

Hoof the ball

I loved him as a player but didnt really think there was much there in terms of intelligence. However listening to the United podcast he was on recently was fantastic. He might have his issues, but he's a proper footballing brain and his passion for the game, any game of football, is obvious. Hope he does well.
Care to summarise any salient points he made regarding his understanding of the game? Would be interesting to know!

TheReligion

Abusive
Absolute legend.

I remember watching Euro 2004 seeing him, then the injury and feeling like the team was just broken since he seemed to be carrying it, then signing for United and the hat-trick against Fenerbache.

The goals against Newcastle, City obviously people always show but just the vision and technique to float one over James showed what a player he was.

He did drop off fast and I always think he rushed his recovery after several injuries which never helped.

Hopefully he goes on to do big things as a manager but I'm not sure how he will be as a coach (tactically and so on) but hopefully he does well.

Best of luck.
Thanks for posting this. Great memories and a phenomenal goal.

TheReligion

Abusive
I missed the first goal we got stuck in traffic. We were walking towards the ground and heard the cheers and ran the rest of the way. I loved European nights at OT back then.
What a debut that was. At such an age too. Mental monster was Rooney. So strong.

Stevieboy

I know football, like life is all ifs & buts, but could you imagine if Derby were still in the F.A. cup and we beat Liverpool in the 4th round and drew them in the quarters, as the 5th round has already been drawn..... ah well......Good luck Wazza!

NotworkSte

Care to summarise any salient points he made regarding his understanding of the game? Would be interesting to know!
In terms of anecdotes he mentioned that he would watch any game, and when with Everton he once headed to one of the rooms by himself to watch United Liverpool and couldn't understand why no one else wanted to watch the game. His understand of how the games flows and his recall of games, goals that he and others were involved in is impressive. It's been a while since I listened to it so I recommend going through it.

And honestly, the United podcast has at times been utterly fantastic. Must listen episodes include Sammy Mac, Albiston, Albert Morgans is hilarious, big Norm, Scholes and Fletch. There are others like Cantona I haven't gotten to yet.

one340

An all time great. Good luck to him as Derby manager. I did see him retire in his mid thirties but never did I think he'd be in management even five years ago. Fair play to him.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Absolute legend.

Best of luck.
Great post. Absolute legend despite what some people think or say and one of the most fascinating British footballers of the modern era to watch in his prime.

Excellent choice of video too because it showcases one of his greatest abilities which was to find pockets of space between the lines to receive the ball while he was facing goal. I may be wrong but i think that Ferguson's plan to use him in that role for the benefit of the whole team and Rooney's desire to lead the line proved to be a detrimental factor in their relationship.

Best of luck, Wazza!

Robbie Boy

Legend. Still remember that summers evening when I was a young lad being in my sitting room and the news broke on SSN that we had signed him. Hope he does well.

Red Star One

Legend full stop. When he came from Everton I was young and spoiled United fan, thinking it’s natural we’d gather all best talents. Expected plenty of him, got much more. Shame he never won Ballon d’Or, for me he’s the best English player of his generation and comfortably ahead of likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Owen or even Scholes

DanClancy

Its a shame we didn't get rid of him in 2013, a huge mistake by Moyes to give him a new contract.

I know Rooney had an exceptional season in 11/12 but was never the same player after that injury against Bayern in 09/10 when he was at his peak.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Unreal player, was great for us for so many years.
Personally however I have to say I lost some interest in him after his transfer request and the way he did it in 2010. After that he still had good games for us over the years but not good enough consistently to win me back completely.
After Fergie left and along with his 2nd transfer request or whatever it was I lost interest completely and even started to dislike him once Moyes gave him the 6 year contract and LvG declared him as undroppable.
I won’t even go into this tired and repeated discussions again about his transfer request and if it was justified or not. I fully appreciate for some fans it doesn’t matter much, for others it does.
I for example still like Ronaldo (despite his Blatter comments) more than him, maybe because he is a much better player.
Rooney doesn’t even make my top 10 favourite United players list anymore, a bit sad actually but I can’t change it.
Anyway, I will always remember his important contributions which helped us take the top spot back from Jose and Chelsea and made us relevant again at the very top.