Wayne Rooney | Sacked as Birmingham City Manager

DoomSlayer

Many top players play through injuries, it's literally the difference in mentality between some top players and rest. Sometimes it's smart, sometimes it's stupid(like he did after that Bayern injury). But Rooney also played many times when he was shite for months, and few years into his retirements when he should have been no more than squad player he was a certain starter, not one United player in last 20 years had that option except Rooney.
He was "shite" compared to his peak standards, still a good player that had an X factor, loads of experience and most definitely a squad leader in those years after Sir Alex retired. Rooney wasn't the problem and I think we parted ways at the right time, because he still wanted to play regularly and we couldn't provide that anymore.

I definitely don't agree about the injuries, he was rushed back too soon both for us and England on numerous occasions.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He was "shite" compared to his peak standards, still a good player that had an X factor, loads of experience and most definitely a squad leader in those years after Sir Alex retired. Rooney wasn't the problem and I think we parted ways at the right time, because he still wanted to play regularly and we couldn't provide that anymore.

I definitely don't agree about the injuries, he was rushed back too soon both for us and England on numerous occasions.
He was shite in terms of comparing him with top forwards playing for teams fighting for top4 in England. I don't want this to turn into Rooney bashing, everyone knowd he was past his best in last few years here and should have never been an automatic starter which he was not depending of his form. If you think otherwise then there is nothing to discuss here. We had other bigger legends who in their late years didn't play every minute of every game like he did just to pump up his goalscoring record.

He was rushed back mostly because he didn't want to be sidelined, every manager who was here said that Rooney wanted to play every game even when he didn't train, that is partly his problem, but also explains the threatment he got from his managers that he could basically pick himself.

kidbob

You for real?
Jesus the one things that stands out for me in that video other than how incredible Rooney was is the sheer amount of first time passes we used to play as a team. Still the most effective way of opening teams up. Now all our players always seem to take a touch. Also we were so bloody quick going forward there too.

Simbo

Saha at 10:30 in that vid :lol::lol::lol:
and that challenge on Fletch at 14:10, good lord :lol:, and people think VAR is bad.

Last edited:

Wilt

He was such a fearsome player. Defenders nightmare in those vids. If only our current young'uns had that tenacity..
Absolutely.

Explosive talent. Rashford and Co are not a patch on this guy.

Water Melon

Absolutely. Explosive talent. People forget how good he was. Rashford and Co are not a patch on this guy.
Martial and Rashford are a couple of levels below Wayne Rooney. Terrific player, absolutely phenomenal in his prime.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Poor run of form right now, got beat by 1-0 Millwall today and it's 2 points from the last 5 matches. Just 1 goal scored in that time too.

They've struggled to score all season as far as I know but what he did do was get them a few 1-0 wins and the like. Still not conceding many besides the 4-0 loss against Cardiff recently. It's just that they've been on the wrong side of 1-0 scorelines instead of the right one.

Loads of possession today again just like the heavy Cardiff defeat from the stats posted upthread but reading the between the lines it looks like the game went differently. Looks like Cardiff repeatedly tore them open on the counter but Millwall hardly did any attacking at all yet still nabbed the win.

AkaAkuma

Extrapolating from stats wount give a clear perspective, but if he's trying to implement a playing strategy then its a good sign for his managerial career.

Do Derby have anything to play for?

Josh 76

Extrapolating from stats wount give a clear perspective, but if he's trying to implement a playing strategy then its a good sign for his managerial career.

Do Derby have anything to play for?
Rotherham are 7 points behind Derby (who are occupying the 3rd relegation spot), but have 4 games in hand.

Basically Derby are far from safe from being relegated.

AkaAkuma

Rotherham are 7 points behind Derby (who are occupying the 3rd relegation spot), but have 4 games in hand.

4 games in hand, jikes. Having said that its not always a blessing as the fixture list will struggle to accomodate the games.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

Rotherham have won 9 games all season, what makes you think they would suddenly go on a winning spree?
And even if they did, there's still three teams between them and Derby!
Rooney has done magnificently to bring Derby to the point of safety.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Rotherham have won 9 games all season, what makes you think they would suddenly go on a winning spree?
And even if they did, there's still three teams between them and Derby!
Rooney has done magnificently to bring Derby to the point of safety.
He has them at the point of relegation.
Only 4 points ahead of Rotherham now and they have 3 matches in hand ( should the lose tonight again)

With 4 games left for Derby I think they are in real trouble unless they can get a couple of wins

RashyForPM

Is he any good as a manager?
Took them off the foot of the league, but they are only 4 points clear of Rotherham and therefore relegation, who have 3 games in hand. Read an article that says they still score very few goals, but concede much less than they did before he was appointed. I hope he keeps them up, but if he doesn’t, I can’t see Derby keeping him. Could be wrong because he’s clearly building a project. Hope they do.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Results are not great.

Saying that I dont know as I dont watch them and dont know anything about the team and its quality
For have I. I wonder if we would see another Frank Lampard situation if Rooney had managed Derby to a stormer this year.

A struggle & a potential relegation might just be exactly what a new, young manager like Rooney needs to have success as a manager. Unfortunately, such would often condemn a young manager to the sack before he is given time to improve.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Took them off the foot of the league, but they are only 4 points clear of Rotherham and therefore relegation, who have 3 games in hand. Read an article that says they still score very few goals, but concede much less than they did before he was appointed. I hope he keeps them up, but if he doesn’t, I can’t see Derby keeping him. Hope they do.
And that’s the unfortunate ‘survival of the fittest’ environment all managers suffer inside of, especially young managers.

If he gets the sack, would the CO92 sign him to manage Salford?

RashyForPM

And that’s the unfortunate ‘survival of the fittest’ environment all managers suffer inside of, especially young managers.

If he gets the sack, would the CO92 sign him to manage Salford?
I’m sure they’d love to! Their current manager is Rooney’s understudy (manager of Derby’s under 23 team, who they loaned to Salford because of the CO92’s relationship with Rooney). He’d definitely get offered the job, but I doubt he’d drop to League 2 if Salford don’t go up.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I’m sure they’d love to! Their current manager is Rooney’s understudy (manager of Derby’s under 23 team, who they loaned to Salford because of the CO92’s relationship with Rooney). He’d definitely get offered the job, but I doubt he’d drop to League 2 if Salford don’t go up.
But, when using the prospect of Rooney getting sacked due to failing in the Championship, would another Championship team take him?

Seems like it would be a smart move for Rooney to step down one rung in pressure, visibility, etc. to gain successful traction.

But, NFL teams here live to hire retreads of all types to coach / coordinate.

The whole sports management environment, regardless the sport & location, has always struck me as uniquely odd.

RashyForPM

But, when using the prospect of Rooney getting sacked due to failing in the Championship, would another Championship team take him?

Seems like it would be a smart move for Rooney to step down one rung in pressure, visibility, etc. to gain successful traction.

But, NFL teams here live to hire retreads of all types to coach / coordinate.

The whole sports management environment, regardless the sport & location, has always struck me as uniquely odd.
Well, if he does go down, then even if he gets sacked, he’s technically a League 1 level manager. I would think that’s the maximum ‘drop’ in level he’d be willing to take, and only to an ambitious club. If he goes to a League 2 side like Salford, while there is less pressure, it might just make him a forgotten manager too. Anyone know what Sol Campbell is doing these days?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Well, if he does go down, then even if he gets sacked, he’s technically a League 1 level manager. I would think that’s the maximum ‘drop’ in level he’d be willing to take, and only to an ambitious club. If he goes to a League 2 side like Salford, while there is less pressure, it might just make him a forgotten manager too. Anyone know what Sol Campbell is doing these days?
Forgot that there’s a League 1. There’s always a double edge sword from taking a lower job, seems like the notoriety of Salford could work against losing notoriety as would Rooney’s general stature.

But, fail there, then there’s issues.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He has them at the point of relegation.
Only 4 points ahead of Rotherham now and they have 3 matches in hand ( should the lose tonight again)

With 4 games left for Derby I think they are in real trouble unless they can get a couple of wins
Rotherham have four games in 9 days...they'll be lucky to pick up more than four points in then games in my opinion.
He's done a fantastic job to get Derby to the position they are in and with a new owner on the horizon things might actually pick up a bit.
Form isn't great right now but they have the points on the board and that's all that counts right now.

Andy_Cole

Only difference is he’s Wayne Rooney.

RashyForPM

Only difference is he’s Wayne Rooney.
That definitely helps, but if Derby do go down, then he has no more room for another managerial failure. He needs to pick wisely, because take another team down from the Championship/League 1, then that’s it for him in management.

Andy_Cole

That definitely helps, but if Derby do go down, then he has no more room for another managerial failure. He needs to pick wisely, because take another team down from the Championship/League 1, then that’s it for him in management.
I can see him getting a top assistant/ coaching job. Perhaps with United/ Everton/ England. Come to think of it, he should go for the U21 England job now it’s available.

RashyForPM

I can see him getting a top assistant/ coaching job. Perhaps with United/ Everton/ England. Come to think of it, he should go for the U21 England job now it’s available.
Agree with that. The youngsters would benefit a lot from working with possibly the best English player in history. Compared to Boothroyd, imagine the inspiration the players can derive from simply playing for Rooney.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Agree with that. The youngsters would benefit a lot from working with possibly the best English player in history. Compared to Boothroyd, imagine the inspiration the players can derive from simply playing for Rooney.
Derby job is surely bigger so unless he got sacked I doubt he'd even consider it.

Be interesting what he does in the transfer market if he does survive the drop and gets new owners.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I just never took to him. Sure he was good for us for a time, and I don’t give a single shit about the whole contract stuff, I just don’t think he was that exciting.

He deserves credit for his career of course, top scorer for us and England, but I know I’m not alone in thinking he’s not quite deserving enough of legend status.

His style of play simply never really entertained me like some others did.
Rooney didn't excite you?!

He was the hottest prospect in 20 years when we brought him in, and he was a force of nature in the early days.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Rooney not exciting!

one of the most laughable things I’ve read on here - and there’s a lot of competition.
You'd think he only started watching United in Rooney's last years or something wouldn't you.
Anyone who denies Rooney's exciting status in his early years either wasn't there, or has an exceptionally bad memory.

RashyForPM

Derby job is surely bigger so unless he got sacked I doubt he'd even consider it.

Be interesting what he does in the transfer market if he does survive the drop and gets new owners.
That’s my point. If Derby went down, I don’t see it getting much better for him than League 1 or England u-21. If he succeeds, then his name is automatically in the hat for the top England job too. Of course, this is with the caveat that relegation comes with his eventual and unfortunate sacking.