Wayne Rooney | Sacked as Birmingham City Manager

FujiVice

Unreal career. Won the lot. Our leading goalscorer. Put respect on his name.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Legend. Only 35, crazy how some players drop off so sharply like he did in their mid-late 20's.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Mental that he’s Derby manager :lol:

Fair play and good luck to him I say. Sounds like a very difficult time to be manager there with the financial and ownership issues they’re facing. Fingers crossed he does well. Would be brilliant to see him get them promoted but seems a tough ask at this moment.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Hopefully he will end up as very successful manager.

How had he been playing?

good luck to him. If he wanted to go into management, then it’s very sensible to give up playing.

United legend. Anyone says different is wrong - FACT (@jem - surely we can use it here :lol: :houllier:).

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Incredible career. Hope he can do the business in management too.

Anyone been following Derby of late? Any indications of what kind of manager he is/what kind of football he wants to play?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Had a fantastic career and people will look back at it fondly despite a few mishaps along the way.

He's diving straight into management which is a big risk but shows his ambition and love of the game.

marktan

He speaks well in interviews and so dont think he'll be absolutely clueless, but of course game intelligence is only a small part of managing alongside signings, tactics, man management etc.

What a player he was in his prime though. Him, Ronaldo and Tevez up front.. ah don't think anyone realised how good we had it.

NotworkSte

I loved him as a player but didnt really think there was much there in terms of intelligence. However listening to the United podcast he was on recently was fantastic. He might have his issues, but he's a proper footballing brain and his passion for the game, any game of football, is obvious. Hope he does well.

Oldyella

Good luck to him. Think he will need it there tbh, going to be a tough job.

Red & White

Unbelievable player and one of our greatest ever signings. I remember his Champions League debut hat-trick against Fenerbahce like it was yesterday. The overhead kick against City and, of course, that belter against Newcastle whilst having a go at the ref. Best of luck in management, Wayne! Thanks for the memories.

tayside red

Thanks for everything Wayne, an all time United legend
to score one goal for United would be a young boys dream come true, to hit 253 incredible, probably never to be beaten
all the best in management
not allowed (Newbie) to insert his overhead kick against Citeeh...what a goal

Oranges038

Loved him as a player, probably third or fourth on my all time favourite players list.

He's had a fantastic playing career, I remember hearing about him before he even played a game for Everton, from Everton fans who thought this lad was going to be great for them. He probably would have been.

At Utd, from his debut you could see what he was all about, my favourite goal is that volley v Newcastle. He was up there with the best in the world for a period. I think towards the end at Utd the attempt to drop deeper didn't work out as planned, he looked a shadow of his former self for the most part. His body couldn't adapt though his brain was still ticking over well.

Would love to see him carve out a career as a top coach, but the Championship is a tough league to crack for new and inexperienced managers. A few bad games and he could very well be out on his ear at Derby. I can't see anyone else taking a punt on him if that does happen.

A club legend, no doubt about that.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Anyone been following Derby of late?
Only result-wise, don't know about tactically.

Defence is looking mean so far. Lots of 0-0, 1-0, 0-1 kind of scorelines before managing to score 4 the other week.

Lost 3 of the last 4 in all comps which isn't good but one of those was the FA Cup match vs. Chorley. He wasn't even there as was none of the first team squad or half of the u-23 squad due to corona. Lots of u-18s were playing and considering where they are in the table the FA Cup doesn't exactly look like a priority anyway. The loss v Sheff Wednesday was a bad one in terms of the relegation battle as they're down there too but Derby did have the better of the game I believe.

Doing alright so far considering the situation they were in when he took sole charge. 13 points from 9 matches I think it is and if he keeps that up they'll easy stay up, just these recent 2 league defeats being a little concerning I suppose. Until then they had the form of a play-off club.

Red Royal

Good luck to him in player retirement,/management.

I will never forget his debut, his derby goal and his 100% attitude he had on the pitch. Was never my favourite player due to the many rumours about him wanting to move...however a great pro.

rooney2009

one of my favourite Utd players ever
good luck in your new career and wishing you the best Wazza

Threesus

My favourite football player ever. Thanks for all the memories Wayne. Hope you now have a wonderful managerial career.
I am surprised at the lack of action in this thread. C'mon people, he is one of our greatest ever players. Show him love.

el3mel

Good luck for him in his managerial career. Hopefully we see him in Premier League soon.

Brilliant player and one of our all time greats. Weird how his playing career ended up finishing as a bit of a damp squib.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
His best ever season, probably 2009/10?
Definitely. He was incredible that year and definitely among the top 3 in world football for that season. Would've won the title and IMO would've been favourites to win the CL over Inter had he stayed fit (given Inter beat Barca, we were better than Bayern). He got rushed back but wasn't the same after the injury that year.

Sylar

Privileged to have seen him at OT and to be there for that overhead kick goal vs City.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
Brilliant player and one of our all time greats. Weird how his playing career ended up finishing as a bit of a damp squib.
To be expected really man had a near 20 year playing career!

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Definitely. He was incredible that year and definitely among the top 3 in world football for that season. Would've won the title and IMO would've been favourites to win the CL over Inter had he stayed fit (given Inter beat Barca, we were better than Bayern). He got rushed back but wasn't the same after the injury that year.
If I'm right in thinking, it was a World Cup year ?
England focusing all its intentions in rushing back its better players for selfish reason's is quite a theme for our nation.

El Zoido

One of the greatest ever United players, his name will always be mentioned alongside the greatest who have ever played for our club.

youngrell

Well done Wayne, a great career and the start of a new one already.

Wish he was bursting onto the scene again right now. So good to watch.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Absolute legend.

He was just superhuman at 18, so much ability he seemed to have it all.

I remember watching Euro 2004 seeing him, then the injury and feeling like the team was just broken since he seemed to be carrying it, then signing for United and the hat-trick against Fenerbache.

One of my favourite goals of his, so much in his locker.

The goals against Newcastle, City obviously people always show but just the vision and technique to float one over James showed what a player he was.

He did drop off fast and I always think he rushed his recovery after several injuries which never helped.

Hopefully he goes on to do big things as a manager but I'm not sure how he will be as a coach (tactically and so on) but hopefully he does well.

Best of luck.