Wayne Rooney vs. Robin van Persie

Iron Stove

I loved watching RVP, but Rooney at his best was an unstoppable force of nature. Feels like his last couple of years at United have clouded peoples memory a bit..

InfiniteBoredom

Rooney after he signed his contract til the end of 10/11 season was basically a one man show for United, far more influential than RvP in 12/13.

The contract shenanigans soured people on him, but he was an incredible footballer at his peak and carried us for a good few years after Ronaldo left. The way we collapsed in the 09/10 run in was all due to him being injured, and that was when we still had most of our 07/08 team intact.

OL29

Just because rooney wasn't as good as ronaldo in 2006 to 2009 doesn'tmean he wasn't still world class.
Yeah I would personally say he was world class in those years but I know that a lot of people have differing definitions of the term.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Rooney from 2004-10 was unplayable. I’d take that player over Van Persie any day. By the time they played together though there was only one winner.

OL29

I’ve never seen RVP split a defence like Rooney did, for example, against Spurs at home in 2009 to play Carrick through and kick-start a really important comeback (he was phenomenal in that second half playing from the left). As for long range passing - consider the pass for RVP’s famous volley against Villa. Again it’s something RVP just didn’t really have in his locker. Yet the volley itself is something Rooney certainly did have, he scored a very similar volley against Middlesbrough in the Cup in 2005, an incredible goal that is often overlooked because his collection of worldies is so vast.
Probably my favourite Rooney goal barring the obvious goals against City and Newcastle. He scored a majestic lob in that game too.

Enfant terrible

[QUOTE="Classical Mechanic, post: [/QUOTE]

I think his lungs fell out of his nose after this. What a run. Superb.
RVP in his prime was pure class also.
Tough call but RVP

Last edited:

OL29

I’ve never seen RVP split a defence like Rooney did, for example, against Spurs at home in 2009 to play Carrick through and kick-start a really important comeback (he was phenomenal in that second half playing from the left).
RVP’s pass to Kagawa against the same opponents in one of his first games to us demonstrated his creativity.

stepic

Easily Rooney. Think some people are letting those last few years with us taint his legacy. He was a brilliant player.

Camilo

Rooney by a mile. RvP was a great striker, but Rooney is one of the greatest players of all time.

fezzerUTD

If RVP had every season like he did that 1 under Fergie then RVP. But overall Rooney and it isnt even close. Rooney was one of the best in the world for years between 03-11.

Nep77

Rooney after he signed his contract til the end of 10/11 season was basically a one man show for United, far more influential than RvP in 12/13.

The contract shenanigans soured people on him, but he was an incredible footballer at his peak and carried us for a good few years after Ronaldo left. The way we collapsed in the 09/10 run in was all due to him being injured, and that was when we still had most of our 07/08 team intact.
Cristiano Ronaldo never existed and didnt win Ballon D'or or Our incredible defense. It wall all Rooney running down and covering every one in every position and banging in left right and center.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Rooney was a more unplayable opponent when at his very best IMO .. he had a fear factor which could terrorise the best defenders but sadly we saw too few of this version of Rooney. RVP overall had better seasons of brilliance.. Rooney had 09/10 but it didn’t take the breath away like RVP. He had become more effective rather than the complete package people expected he would be.

OL29

The only way anyone would pick RVP is if they are voting for aesthetics, his game was easier on the eye than Rooney. Fun fact though, as Van Persie seems to be noted for his technique and finishing, and Rooney playing deeper and practically everywhere on the pitch, Rooney is still both the better goalscorer and creator in terms of assists.

He actually repeated it a year later by hitting 34 goals again and carrying the team. And then began to decline a bit until he fully became a midfielder. You'd have to be really picky to choose RVP in an head to head, personal preference aside.
That’s a massive disservice to Van Persie who, at the peak of his powers, had a claim to being the best player in the league.
And with regards to Rooney in 2011-12, he scored a lot of goals but he was nowhere near the force he was a couple of seasons prior.

InfiniteBoredom

Cristiano Ronaldo never existed and didnt win Ballon D'or or Our incredible defense. It wall all Rooney running down and covering every one in every position and banging in left right and center.
You have reading comprehension issue mate.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I would take Rooney overall but at their absolute peak I'd take RvP, not saying Rooney's peak wasnt great though.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
RVP was probably a better CF than Rooney. But Rooney was the overall better player hands down. He could play practically any position in the front 6 and could create for others as well putting them away himself.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
RVP is more ellegant and perhaps more technically talented. Rooney was better over the course of his career though.

InfiniteBoredom

'Rooney after he signed his contract til the end of 10/11 season was basically a one man show for United', Hyperbole and all.
Signed his contract *in 2010*. The one, you know, had Ferguson almost tearing up in front of the press.

If I meant otherwise, would have said ‘since he joined us’.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Rooney all the time.

Even peak RVP couldnt be peak RVP without Rooney. What he did as a whole to the team doesnt get the credit it deserves.

Rooney and its not that close. RVP was a brilliantly talented footballer but at his best Rooney was a once in a generation player. By far the best player England produced in the last 20 or 30 years.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Wazza hands down. That’s no offense to RvP - he was class, just Roo had more about him.

Robaldo

Think van Persie probably peaked better but would rather have Rooney over the entirety of his career.

Revan

Assumptionman
Peak RVP was marginally the better player. Rooney had a better career though, and longer longevity as a top player.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Rooney probably had more to his overall game, RVP at the best was probably the better out-and-out striker. I'd say Rooney had a tendency to frustrate more than RVP but that's perhaps because he tended to be more involved across the field and so his mistakes or errors were perhaps more noticeable. He also peaked a lot earlier than RVP who was plagued with a lot of injury problems at times, meaning he only had a few top class seasons.

Difficult one though, I remember thinking RVP was better back in 11-12 and 12-13 when he had two of his best seasons. Just brilliant to watch, although can understand why Rooney would be considered better.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
That’s a massive disservice to Van Persie who, at the peak of his powers, had a claim to being the best player in the league.
And with regards to Rooney in 2011-12, he scored a lot of goals but he was nowhere near the force he was a couple of seasons prior.
I don't think he was as consistently great to watch in 2011-12 but he had an absolutely phenomenal start to the season off the back of a brilliant end to 2010-11, and still managed to have an incredibly productive year goals wise. He was still comfortably one of the best players in the league at that point.