Wayne Rooney vs. Robin van Persie

pacifictheme

That’s absurd. Rooney was a better ‘footballer’ than RvP?
Well yeah. He was better at just about everything. And he did it for longer. Not really absurd. Are you van persies mum or something?

Don't get me wrong i think rvp was a really good player, its just that rooney was much better than him.

Mr Smith

Tough call for me, and hard to be impartial; Rooney was my favourite player for a very long time.

I would say Rooney had more to his game but Van Persie was the better out and out striker.

The other factor was that they had a different range in terms of consistency and application. Van Persie was generally very consistent and occasionally supreme, but hampered by injuries. Rooney could vary between the best player in the world at times, and Championship level at others.

KennyBurner

So many in hear picking RVP over Rooney should stop embarrassing themselves. Its not even close regardless of how magnificent RVP was in our last title winning season. Wayne was a key member of our dominance in 2006 till 2012. He beats RVP in basically everything bar positioning. You could argue technique but that's also what made Rooney exceptional and versatile around our attack.

This is yet another thread were we decide to disrespect Wayne Rooney unprovoked. One of our greatest ever players is being compared to another player that had a disappointing career till he joined us. Please stop, its not right.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
So many in hear picking RVP over Rooney should stop embarrassing themselves. Its not even close regardless of how magnificent RVP was in our last title winning season. Wayne was a key member of our dominance in 2006 till 2012. He beats RVP in basically everything bar positioning. You could argue technique but that's also what made Rooney exceptional and versatile around our attack.

This is yet another thread were we decide to disrespect Wayne Rooney unprovoked. One of our greatest ever players is being compared to another player that had a disappointing career till he joined us. Please stop, its not right.
When we signed him he'd literally just been named player of the year after a 30-goal season.:lol:

KennyBurner

When we signed him he'd literally just been named player of the year after a 30-goal season.:lol:
I didn't know one season made a whole careers for a player that is supposedly supposed to be up there with Wayne?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I didn't know one season made a whole careers for a player that is supposedly supposed to be up there with Wayne?
He'd been excellent for years before that and was only held back by injuries. Don't disagree that Rooney's career had been more successful but the idea RVP's had been 'disappointing' is nonsensical.

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Who would you have now in United?

Easily Rooney.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Varun

Staff
Rooney.

His last few years clouding judgements here. Boy was absolutely marvellous.

pacifictheme

Rooney.

His last few years clouding judgements here. Boy was absolutely marvellous.
Agreed. Only ronaldo was better than him in arguably our best ever team. Scored at least 10 prem goals in 11 seasons running. Could do everything, which meant he often got shunted all over, because we knew he could cope and perform brilliantly in loads of positions. I think the only thing rvp has over him is first touch, everything else rooney was superior. He was such a complete footballer.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Apart from Pogba, don't think anyone is capable of passes like this in the current squad.

United58

I’d take Rooney probably but I think RVP from 2012-2014 reached heights that Rooney never managed. He was pretty much flawless for those 2 seasons, where as, apart from 2010-2011, I can’t remember a season from Rooney where was unquestionably world class. Think Rooney was more consistent over their careers and contributed to more trophies.
I actually think his earlier career (2004 - 2008) was much better - Rooney's a really interesting player like that in that there's so many different opinions on how good he was, when he was at his best etc.

In terms of peak - hard to call. Van Persie was so technically gifted, which makes a player really shine in highlight reels. Rooney has stunning highlights himself though - Newcastle volley, City bicycle, the run vs Arsenal.

Imagine the two of them together in their prime up front :drool:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Rooney was more talented. RVP was probably easier on the eye.

I'd take peak Rooney over peak RVP.
Yeah, I dont know why few said RVP was more talented, maybe technically better player and easier on the eye but Rooney was one of the best talents in the world when he was a young player.

There wasn't anything that Rooney couldn't do except heading, which he improved from 2009.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Rooney was a force of nature over a longer time period. He had that fire in his belly that just cannot be matched by the superior technique or finesse that RVP arguably had.

The fact that he's our club legend as well makes it a one sided contest in favour of white Pele.

Freeney

Supports
Djibouti FC
Seriously? What kind of question is this? Rooney of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Did Bryan Robson have a disappointing career?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Rooney, by a fair bit.

Big RvP fan, but people seem to forget just how good Rooney was.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'll go against the consensus and say Rooney by several miles. Better career and better player.

OL29

How is a preference to one player embarrassing? And have you actually read the thread? Because the vast majority picked Rooney and of the one’s who didn’t, I can’t see anyone disrespecting him. This post stinks of arrogance.

Kostov

Wayne played in the shadow of one of the greatest players of all time and people forget how good he actually was. Rooney was a generational talent who sacrificed part of that for the good of the team when Ronaldo was here. Compared to RVP it’s not even close for me.

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
RVP all day for me. Rooney just played at Man Utd for longer, thus won more trophies.

Van Persie joined Arsenal at a time when the club's ambitions dropped off a cliff- it went from wanting to win things to short term financial gains by minimizing investment.

When I look at the players' individual attributes and what they were able to produce on the football pitch (bearing in mind one had significantly better teammates), I have to go with RVP.

WensleyMU

Rooney. Van Persie was fantastic but Rooney was better and Rooney also worked more for the team.

el3mel

Career wise definitely Rooney. It's not even a contest. Technically wise, well, Rooney too imo.

Though RVP was my most favorite player in the short time he stayed here.

Kag

For a small period, Van Persie was the best centre forward in the world. Almost unplayable. Rooney never really got there.

That said, there is something unique about Rooney, his career and the way he played the game. I’d still argue, and I find it hard to articulate why, that Rooney was the more talented player. He was like a major organ of the team for so many years. He’s produced ‘moments’ that will live long in the memory. All in all, there’s just something special about Rooney that Van Persie doesn’t, or didn’t, possess.