Ways of improving a ‘behind closed doors’ atmosphere?...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Just a general sort of brainstorming thread really. My first observation of the Bundesliga was that, while I’d take any sort of football right now, that is not something you want to see for any prolonged period of time.

Of course, the optimal experience will be with a full stadium, but is there anything in between that and what we had last weekend that could be safely done to improve things?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
  • Play audio of the crowd from old games. Change track when something exciting happens
  • Play 'Never gonna give you up' on loop in every game.

OleBoiii

At Old Trafford, whenever the opponent makes a mistake I want the speakers to blast this:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think we could have audio of chanting, songs etc - and it would need to be controlled in real time so that audio reflects activity on the field.

Ultimately, it is almost impossible to simulate any decent atmosphere, but would be good to try.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Clone RedCafe. Let other teams experience the match day threads.
Put huge screens all over the stands that show the last messages being posted and use Cortana to read them out loud.
"Lingard you useless fecker, sell him!"

romufc

I think it would be good to come up with something innovative to get atmosphere going.. however; this is OT put a few large speakers wont be enough and the place probably fall down given the state of the stadium.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Canned Vuvuzelas

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
In the absence of fans, I can't see any way of improving the atmosphere as the fans are atmosphere.

I have no interest in BCD football, none at all.

Rish Sawhney

I'm not that fussed about the atmosphere. It'd be like watching a Serie A game on the telly. Its not ideal but hardly something we can't deal with for a quarter of a season.

romufc

I'm not that fussed about the atmosphere. It'd be like watching a Serie A game on the telly. Its not ideal but hardly something we can't deal with for a quarter of a season.
It isnt just a quarter of a season, most likely large parts of next too.

Skills

Snitch
Meh, don't really care. Think of it as a break from the same old shitty, repetitive songs.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
For United matches, we should have voice reading machines to read aloud all the posts from our matchday thread.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
How is it weird to not care about inaudible background noise on tv coverage? If I’m not at the match then why would I really give a feck? It’s just random noise that is overpowered by commentary anyway. It makes literally zero difference.

“Atmosphere” is overplayed anyway. It’s largely a bunch of overweight bellends yelling profanity in England anyway. There is nothing special about that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
How is it weird to not care about inaudible background noise on tv coverage? If I’m not at the match then why would I really give a feck? It’s just random noise that is overpowered by commentary anyway. It makes literally zero difference.

“Atmosphere” is overplayed anyway. It’s largely a bunch of overweight bellends yelling profanity in England anyway. There is nothing special about that.
So basically it makes no difference to you either way whether a stadium is empty or not?

Fair enough, although I don’t think it’s a surprise that such a view isn’t commonly held.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Weird.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Weird

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Guys imagine Carrick's goal against Roma when the whole crowd were having a great time and shouted shoot and he did and it flew top bins and everyone went mental.

Now imagine it in an empty stadium, basically the same apart from the inaudible noise.

McTominay's goal against City would've been so much better if I could hear Solskjaer shouting at him to kick the ball as well instead of everyone going batshit.

Nickelodeon

Just a general sort of brainstorming thread really. My first observation of the Bundesliga was that, while I’d take any sort of football right now, that is not something you want to see for any prolonged period of time.

Of course, the optimal experience will be with a full stadium, but is there anything in between that and what we had last weekend that could be safely done to improve things?
It shouldn't. This is an extraordinary situation. Once (if?) the situation returns to normal, we'll cherish it more. Any attempts to create a fake atmosphere will only leave a bitter taste in the mouth. Creating an atmosphere without real fans is like creating football without actual players.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It shouldn't. This is an extraordinary situation. Once (if?) the situation returns to normal, we'll cherish it more. Any attempts to create a fake atmosphere will only leave a bitter taste in the mouth. Creating an atmosphere without real fans is like creating football without actual players.
The atmosphere isn’t only for us. It is for the players. Simulating some level of atmosphere should in theory improve the intensity and competitiveness of the contest. For the integrity of the game, you want as much of that as possible, these are real points on the line.

Training games are the last thing people want. This isn’t pre-season. Champions Leagues etc will be decided like this.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
So basically it makes no difference to you either way whether a stadium is empty or not?

Fair enough, although I don’t think it’s a surprise that such a view isn’t commonly held.
I’m interested in watching football not looking at random people in the stands.

Nickelodeon

The atmosphere isn’t only for us. It is for the players. Simulating some level of atmosphere should in theory improve the intensity and competitiveness of the contest. For the integrity of the game, you want as much of that as possible, these are real points on the line.

Training games are the last thing people want. This isn’t pre-season. Champions Leagues etc will be decided like this.
I understand where you're coming from. It is unfortunate that games are being played behind closed doors, however, I don't think there is a substitute for actual fans. An example of what could be done was giving fans an app where they could make noise which could be played live in the stadium. I feel that it is just setting yourself up for failure. The focus of the players should be on the game despite the unnatural feeling. I don't see any other option but to just suck it up.

The outcome and what is at stake should drive the players motivation.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think we could have audio of chanting, songs etc - and it would need to be controlled in real time so that audio reflects activity on the field.

Ultimately, it is almost impossible to simulate any decent atmosphere, but would be good to try.
Absolutely. I'm surprised this wasn't done for the Bundesliga. It's like a game of FIFA or PES really

TheReligion

Abusive
Couldn’t care less. I’d rather hear the players and coaches anyways.

:lol:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Maybe some sort of ZOOM webcam service and just amplify the fans responses over a tannoy system.

I think this idea could be done and improved upon.

We need to involve the fans someway.

Last edited:

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
We had a couple of weeks of BCD sport in Australia before it all got shut and it was hideous. I remember thinking that even if they'd put on some unobtrusive, lo-fi instrumental music over the sound system it would have helped enormously.

PoTMS

Steve "Macca" McNanaman.

And Michael Owen pitchside.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Guys imagine Carrick's goal against Roma when the whole crowd were having a great time and shouted shoot and he did and it flew top bins and everyone went mental.

Now imagine it in an empty stadium, basically the same apart from the inaudible noise.

McTominay's goal against City would've been so much better if I could hear Solskjaer shouting at him to kick the ball as well instead of everyone going batshit.
Weird.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Clone RedCafe. Let other teams experience the match day threads.
Put huge screens all over the stands that show the last messages being posted and use Cortana to read them out loud.
"Lingard you useless fecker, sell him!"
This and have someone in a plummy voice read them out.