WBA

devil in me

I have family members who are WBA fans and they're pretty unhappy at the football they're watching. Fans on radio shows like 606 call in about the same stuff but it seems pundits can't stop defending Pulis no matter what.
Same here. The fans are utterly pissed off with the style of football being played. It's pretty similar to what's happened here, just with a worse team. The stats are something like 1 shot on target in their last 3 home games. They set up against Newcastle with what was basically 7 across the back.
I actually think they're in trouble. Them or Norwich to go with Sunderland and Villa imo.

bleezy

Got a few Albion fans on my Facebook who are very frustrated with it all too. They might be saved by the fact there are some other poor teams beneath them, but at least the likes of Newcastle and Sunderland have shown some ambition in trying to sign players to help keep them up.

I quite like Rondon, have seen him live and he is a hard worker and has some talent, but there is no creativity behind him at all.

The pundits love that Albion fought off the big boys to keep Berahino, but what use is it if you don't play the player or if he doesn't want to be there. £20+ million could have got them a few decent players - an attacking mid especially - that may have helped liven up this side.

A bit of ambition can elevate a team into the top half, even Europa League, judging by how the league has gone this season. Pulis will never offer that.

Impulse

They are still in the same position though, as they were under Pulis. Only the style of football has changed.
Under Pulis the finished 12th, 11th, 13th, 14th and 13th. Under Hughes they have finished 9th and 9th. That's a clear improvement to go along with the much better football.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I think there's a point in keeping Berahino, and not selling up, reinvesting, etc. Seems like their plan at the moment is to keep the money tight, have their dour shite Pulis season, finish 15th or whatever and wait for the big tv deal to roll in, then see if they can replace Pulis if a more ambitious manager is available.

Still, would like to see them go down, sometimes it feels like they're the most irrelevant club in all of the English pyramid.

Would also be funny if Berahino ran his contract down and fecked off to Spain or somewhere on a free, no tribunal/development fees or anything.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I have always had a soft spot for WBA since watching them late 70's. Cyril Regis, Brendan Batson and Laurie Cunningham were great. When I lived in Walsall I used to play five-a-side with Brendan Batson's son. He was a fantastic player but didn't want to play professionally. I had a couple of mates that had trials and were really good players and this kid was leaving them for dead at 15.

EDIT - Plus Robbo came from there.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Would love Pulis take them down. Got no time for him and the "football" his teams play.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
They won't go down. 6 points ahead of Norwich and 9 ahead of Sunderland. Somehow they've managed to pick up 29 points and are actually closer to us than they are to bottom.

devil in me

They won't go down. 6 points ahead of Norwich and 9 ahead of Sunderland. Somehow they've managed to pick up 29 points and are actually closer to us than they are to bottom.
:lol: when you put it like that!!

I've always like WBA, dads a big fan so got a soft spot for them. But I find myself wanting them to go down atm. They deserve to. Showing absolutely no ambition on or off the pitch and the football that Pulis has them playing is diabolical. They will probably pick up a couple of crap 1-0 wins to keep them up but if they get beat off Norwich then it could be interesting.

Minkaro

Interesting that they went out and loaned Alex Pritchard right after Gnabry went back to Arsenal. Do they have a quota of loan players that they're not going to play that they have to fill?

Hope Gamboa plays the next league game. He looked half-decent against Peterborough.

thelemon

They're so inconsistent. They always seem to pull these massive results off a few times a season and then go and do something like lose to Reading in the FA cup. Strange team, but one I've always liked. Good to see Fletch doing so well too.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I can't imagine much worse managers stylistically than what van Gaal has served us but I'm certain Pulis is one of them.

Sylar

They are going to be dicks and take points of Leicester

CM

I can't imagine much worse managers stylistically than what van Gaal has served us but I'm certain Pulis is one of them.
Absolutely. If West Brom fans feel they are above what Pulis has them playing, it is almost certainly shit on a stick.

Minkaro

Absolutely. If West Brom fans feel they are above what Pulis has them playing, it is almost certainly shit on a stick.
I dunno. I think they could be playing nicer football, but there isn't a great deal in it, looking at their squad. Gamboa could be brought in at rightback to add a bit more going forwards in that position, and then there's Pocognoli at leftback (who I like because he isn't Chris Brunt).

But in midfield there's not really somebody that's going to be change things for them, in terms of creativity, if they were bought in. I think Morrison's been injured lately, but he's one of those that's OK, and occasionally scores a nice goal.

And up front if Berahino isn't playing, then it's Rondon, Anichebe, or (God forbid) Lambert.

So I'm not sure if Pulis is to blame for their awful style, or if he's just making do with what he's got. I did think letting Mulumbu go was a mistake at the time, but he's hardly done much for Norwich. I think Thorne is a good player for Derby, but is he better than what WBA have at the moment? (I think he was sold just before Pulis arrived).

redmeister

I can't believe their fans are so critical of Pulis. Anyone who has been watching Prem football for the last decade must know what Tony Pulis is about. Having a go at him is totally unfair. He's doing the job he agreed to do. WBA fans should not blame Pulis one iota if they are unhappy with what they are seeing. They should blame Jeremy Peace, who employed Pulis. Pulis is doing exactly what you'd expect of him, so to blame him if you don't like it is totally unfair. If you want to listen to opera music, don't buy a rap CD! Pulis is doing exactly what every single football fan in the country knew he'd do before he took the job and we all know he'll do the same anywhere. That's what he's about. Fans projecting frustration towards him is the same criticizing Carlton Palmer for not trying to play like Glenn Hoddle.

CM

I dunno. I think they could be playing nicer football, but there isn't a great deal in it, looking at their squad. Gamboa could be brought in at rightback to add a bit more going forwards in that position, and then there's Pocognoli at leftback (who I like because he isn't Chris Brunt).

But in midfield there's not really somebody that's going to be change things for them, in terms of creativity, if they were bought in. I think Morrison's been injured lately, but he's one of those that's OK, and occasionally scores a nice goal.

And up front if Berahino isn't playing, then it's Rondon, Anichebe, or (God forbid) Lambert.

So I'm not sure if Pulis is to blame for their awful style, or if he's just making do with what he's got. I did think letting Mulumbu go was a mistake at the time, but he's hardly done much for Norwich. I think Thorne is a good player for Derby, but is he better than what WBA have at the moment? (I think he was sold just before Pulis arrived).
It's just the way he likes to operate. He has spent £35m on mostly limited players since he joined West Brom, and has been in the job for over a year so it isn't as though he couldn't rectify that.

The only attacking players he has bought during that time are McManaman, McClean, Lambert and Rondon. Berahino is far and away their most exciting player, yet he has dropped him numerous times and wanted to sell him. Gnabry was brought in on loan in the summer and has barely featured either.

Boycott

And the one time he signs a Brazillian, it turns out to be bloody Sandro.

Dullard.

CM

Is this thread just gonna be bumped every time they lose? They beat Everton at Goodison last week.
They were also completely outplayed by a League One side last week.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He's handled the Berahino situation poorly imo. Leaving your top goalscorer on the sidelines to stew isn't a clever idea, not only does it reduce his valuation but it also causes chaos in the dressing room and its brought up in every press conference.

Think West Brom really have themselves to blame for this season, if they were keen to keep hold of Berahino then it should have be Pullis' job to motivate him and get him scoring like last season to force the clubs chasing him to cough up the money. Instead he's benched him for most of the season as a "lesson" because of his poor attitude, which has been caused by the staffs handling of the situation.

To put it into perspective in the last 4 months he's started once and that was the win against Everton last weekend. Pullis :lol:

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
To be fair to Pulis, Berahino is bang average and has been rather crap when he has played.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
To be fair to Pulis, Berahino is bang average and has been rather crap when he has played.
Yet he's only score 2 goals less than Rondon despite playing half the minutes he has this season. 1 start in 4 months Akash, this is a fella that scored 14 goals for them last season.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Yet he's only score 2 goals less than Rondon despite playing half the minutes he has this season. 1 start in 4 months Akash, this is a fella that scored 14 goals for them last season.
It's not just the goals. He's generally been crap and missing sitters (Remember the sitter he missed at OT?). And this was after he threw his toys out and refused to ever play for West Brom. I can totally see why he's not playing. It's not like Rondon is a nobody either. He's got a decent record since moving to Europe so we're hardly talking some shite striker replacing Berahino.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It's not just the goals. He's generally been crap and missing sitters (Remember the sitter he missed at OT?). And this was after he threw his toys out and refused to ever play for West Brom. I can totally see why he's not playing. It's not like Rondon is a nobody either. He's got a decent record since moving to Europe so we're hardly talking some shite striker replacing Berahino.
He's missing sitters because he's not match sharp Akash given that the only football he gets is coming off the bench. Despite the Baggies bad form he's only start was against Everton in 4 months, that is bad management when you consider that he's been fit and they've had the Christmas period to contend with.

Also if you check West Brom forums they really don't rate Rondon one bit. If you also look at goals in all comps, Berahino is joint top scorer at the Baggies despite Rondon playing a significant amount of more minutes. You might say that the reason why Berahino isn't playing is because of his attitude, well no shit he's got an attitude when he wasn't allowed a transfer away and now he's not being played in favour of Rondon.

Bad management is bad management.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He's missing sitters because he's not match sharp Akash given that the only football he gets is coming off the bench. Despite the Baggies bad form he's only start was against Everton in 4 months, that is bad management when you consider that he's been fit and they've had the Christmas period to contend with.

Also if you check West Brom forums they really don't rate Rondon one bit. If you also look at goals in all comps, Berahino is joint top scorer at the Baggies despite Rondon playing a significant amount of more minutes. You might say that the reason why Berahino isn't playing is because of his attitude, well no shit he's got an attitude when he wasn't allowed a transfer away and now he's not being played in favour of Rondon.

Bad management is bad management.
It's not bad management and has nothing to do with Pulis anyway. WBA were willing to sell for a price known to Spurs for a long time which is why they brought Rondon in. It's not their fault that Spurs didn't really rate him enough to make a decent offer and were offering absolute pittance up front. Then Berahino publicly throws a gigantic strop that makes him look like a complete dick and this was well before he was dropped. In fact, he was starting games even after the failed transfer until he was dropped for poor attitude again. You add this in with that fact that he's not even been very good when he comes on, then it's hard to make a case for him.

Mind you, playing as a striker for a Pulis team must be literally the worst thing ever so I have sympathies for him.

Just looked up the last two pages of the Berahino thread in the WBA forum:

Absolute dog s***e again today. Never worth £20m in a million years.
Good point, although for me he doesn't seem bothered, movement is poor, touch is poor, doesn't have a shot
Thank you, I thought it was me.
All I keep hearing is Bera this and Bera that, stop blowing smoke up his arris.
Hes had one half decent season and thats it.
We've been kidding ourselves that he isnt getting the service. When he gets a good ball its off his knee or the corner of his threepenny bit head.
He's chyte and his attitude stinks.
The sooner he's sold and we buy a proper footballer the better
thought he was dire yesterday.
valued at £25m
worth about £10m in reality.
And to top it off he's not even fit apparently.