WC FINAL: Netherlands vs Spain

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauldyson1uk

By the way, I just heard that Netherlands and Spain never met whether in the euros or the world cup.. Is that correct?
found thison the net.

As both team look to create history, they will be meeting each other for the first time in a WC match. Their only meeting at finals has been 90 years back in 1920 Olympics that Spain won 3-1. Too far back to cite as an example anyway while head to head in their 9 meetings, they are at 4-4 with one draw. History and statistics are of no help to choose a favorite for today.

Ekeke

If Villa scores and Sneijder doesnt, then Villa has won the golden boot at the Euros and again at the world cup after. Has a striker done that before? Obviously south american ones cant have. So it would be a european striker feat. Anyone know?

Edit - Okay Jerkovic was top scorer in the 1960 euros and 62 world cup. Gerd Muller was top scorer at world cup 1970 and then top scorer at the european championships in 72. So if Villa scores and Sneijder doesnt, Villa would become the third player ever to be top scorer in the two consecutive international tournaments, the european championships and the world cup, either way around.

radd

If Villa scores and Sneijder doesnt, then Villa has won the golden boot at the Euros and again at the world cup after. Has a striker done that before? Obviously south american ones cant have. So it would be a european striker feat. Anyone know?

I reckon Gerd Mueller might have. Just guessing, though.

[EDIT: He did too, apparently]

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Nice to see Mandela has Alan Hansen's seal of approval.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Hansen: "Since he came out of prison he did really well."

noodlehair

"It's like..."
You know, I'm not even sure I can be arsed to watch this.

On the face of it, it's the technical excellence of Spain vs the Proud but lacking history of the dutch, and should be a huge showdown to round off an enjoyable tournament, but in reality, I really couldn't care less. Both teams both annoy and bore the feck out of me.

I'm severely tempted to hop on a train and spend the evening with the missus, which would mean missing a fair chunk of the game on the way there.

Claymore

BBC are all about Spain, like their games before its clear they are desperate for them to win. I hope Holland do an Inter on Spain, they don't need to stop Xavi and Iniesta playing in midfield, just sit back and keep organised.

Tibs

If Spain do win, then Paul the octopus should get a knighthood

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
Breaking news:

Paul the octopus has been struck down by the sea life version of a coronary, if he fails to pull through it renders any pre match prediction irrelevant, as of yet its uncomforted reports that suggest 3 dutch fans were seen exiting the scene of pauls potentially fatal condition.

Tibs

Could do with the Dutch getting an early goal to make te game exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.