We actually don't need a midfielder! | Post your starting XI and bench with potential positions you think we'll sign! CHECK OP!

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
The kid probably does need a move to get his career back on track, and if he does his biggest critics will be flabbergasted at the level of club he goes to, and how much they are prepared to pay for him.
27 year old kid? Anyway a consistent run of games and change of scenery can do wonders so who knows.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Let's agree to disagree. For me it seems natural that 20m is not a big ask for a player of the calibre of Lingard/Pereira. Not our level definitely but there are a lot of smaller clubs who wouldn't mind taking a punt.

I agree covid may change valuations.
I'm disappointed with your response because I don't think you are disagree here. I think you are just ignoring what I wrote because I expect you to come out with more detail or explanation why you disagree with what I wrote. What I wrote seems to counterpunching your statement.

At least the positive thing is when you are run out idea/word, you are willing to move on rather than drag it too long in pointless way by repeating things & make unrealistic comparison, unlike the other guy.

Dve

Clearly you didn't get it because you didn't read the whole thing. If bad player is equal with small money is the only point here, why would I mentioned Smalling in situation that AS Roma is hesitant to pay the fees? Yeah go look back and read the posts again, bet you won't.
I bet I don´t give a shit.

Walters_19_MuFc

A football club is greater than just it's first XI.

Going on the theory that Pogba stays, we will need a DM like Zakaria or Ndidi to sit in behind. Someone in that mould.

But then I also still think we need an additional midfielder. McTominay, Matic and Fred are all defensive options. We need someone to come in for Pogba or Bruno who offers creativity and plays it forward. Someone who can take on the creative input if we lose one of them for whatever reason(Injury, Fatigue, suspension)

The type of player I'm thinking of is Fabian Ruiz. Note that I said "type of player". I doubt he would be cheap or join as a bench option, but we definitely need a player of that mould to play a role for us.
Hence why I said post starting XI and bench.

GailSpaceWynand

I'm disappointed with your response because I don't think you are disagree here. I think you are just ignoring what I wrote because I expect you to come out with more detail or explanation why you disagree with what I wrote. What I wrote seems to counterpunching your statement.

At least the positive thing is when you are run out idea/word, you are willing to move on rather than drag it too long in pointless way by repeating things & make unrealistic comparison, unlike the other guy.
:lol:

You can't convince everybody even when your reasoning seems like the most logical. Trust me I'm neither out of words nor ideas - just seems futile harping on about the same thing. Cheers and have a good day.

Devil may care

I don't think I stuck to the OP's exact instructions in the first post I made so here goes.

Subs: Romero, Bailly, Williams, Fred, McTominay, Greenwood, Cavani

Sold - Jones, Rojo, Lingard, Pereira, Alexis and Smalling.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
:lol:

You can't convince everybody even when your reasoning seems like the most logical. Trust me I'm neither out of words nor ideas - just seems futile harping on about the same thing. Cheers and have a good day.
And why is that? Have I been talking to wall all this time? :lol:

Craig Ward

My ideal summer would be:

Incomings:
Sancho - £100m
Grealish - £40m
Bellingham - £30m
Ighalo - £15m
Zakaria Or K.Phillips £45m or £25-30m

Total spend:
Between £215/230m

Outgoings:
Pogba - £110m
Smalling - £20m
Sanchez - £10m (or we simply take a hit and release him on a free)
Rojo - £15-20m
Lingard - £20m
Jones - £10m
Gomes - Free / Contract issue

Total:
Between £175 - £190m

GK:
Romero/Henderson/De Gea
FB:
Shaw/Williams/AWB/Dalot
CB:
Tuanzebe/Maguire/Bailly/Lindelof
CM:
Fred/McTom/Matic/Zakaria or Phillips/Periera
AM:
Fernandes/Grealish/Mata
Wide Forwards:
James/Sancho/Rashford/Greenwood/Chong
ST:
Martial/Ighalo

Could be a few tricky situations next season:
1) Goalkeepers
Henderson will want to play and may not want another loan. De Gea has been world class for us so it'd still expect him to be No1. Henderson will have Euro 2021 on his mind now so will want to play and make a mark for a place. I'd personally be ok IF De Gea pushed for a move to sell him and promoting Henderson, but it will be a very busy transfer window so wouldnt force it.

2) Current loans dont go permanent.
Smalling/Sanchez and Rojo on loans. They have shown over time they dont offer us much and are surplus here, would be a disaster and seriously hamper our incomings if we couldnt move them on permanently,

3) Pogba. Why always Pogba
Its seriously time for him to go, i'd much rather we didnt see his inflated ego any longer. But he's a tricky one to sell. Worth more in merchandising than value on the pitch, only a limited number of clubs would entertain having him. He wants to go. Selling him allows us to improve the playing squad, thats reason enough for me

Its going to be an interesting window, but i feel our outgoings are going to be just as important.

Id expect us to be active and proactive and make some bold decisions, such as the Pogba one

Dve

I think Lingard going for 20M would be possible if he wasn’t on high wages because of his England experience and versatility and good durability, but with them I’d guess more like 15M though Corona might change football economy so I mean before that. He’s played well as a 10 on the counter and is a good presser and it only takes one Prem team like Burnley who value the former or a team like Southampton or Norwich who value the latter to decide his experience and nationality mean he’s worth it.
Yes, the wages is obviously a factor. I believe Lingard is on 75k a week?

Anyhow, knowing that a club like Tottenham is asking the state for economical support these days, there might not be much money in the marked. Our best chance to getting rid of players, is many including them in exchange deals, e.g. Lingard to Dortmund as part of the Sancho deal (replacement for outgoing Götze) or Jones to Villa.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think it's looking more likely that Pogba stays a year all things considered at this point, with everything going on. So with that in mind, I dont think we sign anyone in midfield. The focus will be on Sancho, and making Ighalo permanent, selling off some unnecessary players, etc.
Starting 11
Rashford Martial Sancho
Pogba McTominay Bruno
Shaw Maguire Bailly AWB
DDG​
Subs
Romero, Williams, Lindelof, Matic, James, Ighalo, Greenwood

Rounding off 2nd 11: Dalot, Tuanzebe, Fred, Mata

Questionables
: Grant (retired?), Henderson (loan?), CB Smalling (sold?), jones (sold?), Rojo (sold?), Laird (loan?), Garner (loan?), Gomes (loan?), Pereira (sold?), Lingard (sold?), Chong (loan?), Sanchez (loan/sold?)

Not all the questionable will leave, but probably 3-4 will stay to complete the squad. Have a core 22 who play plenty though in terms of starters and their backups.

If Pogba goes, likelihood is Fred starts, but think we'd look to replace that 2and creative midfielder that we'd lose (Grealish?). Pogba stays, no midfield signings.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I think it's looking more likely that Pogba stays a year all things considered at this point, with everything going on. So with that in mind, I dont think we sign anyone in midfield. The focus will be on Sancho, and making Ighalo permanent, selling off some unnecessary players, etc.
Starting 11
Rashford Martial Sancho
Pogba McTominay Bruno
Shaw Maguire Bailly AWB
DDG​
Subs
Romero, Williams, Lindelof, Matic, James, Ighalo, Greenwood

Rounding off 2nd 11: Dalot, Tuanzebe, Fred, Mata

Questionables
: Grant (retired?), Henderson (loan?), CB Smalling (sold?), jones (sold?), Rojo (sold?), Laird (loan?), Garner (loan?), Gomes (loan?), Pereira (sold?), Lingard (sold?), Chong (loan?), Sanchez (loan/sold?)

Not all the questionable will leave, but probably 3-4 will stay to complete the squad. Have a core 22 who play plenty though in terms of starters and their backups.

If Pogba goes, likelihood is Fred starts, but think we'd look to replace that 2and creative midfielder that we'd lose (Grealish?). Pogba stays, no midfield signings.
Stick Fred in at left-back instead of Shaw and that's a mighty fine team, good enough to knock Liverpool off their perch if they ever get on it.

I'll pretend I haven't seen Pogba's name!

tjb

Everything depends on Pogba, as at this moment I am in the position that we should sell him, but despite that, I will equate for the two scenarios.

With Pogba:

If Pogba stays, we should do one of the following: three consider putting more effort into converting McTominay into a Defensive Midfielder, improving his passing to allow Pogba push up the pitch; play Pogba deeper in a Fabregas/Drinkwater role and allow Mctominay to harass defenders in the mould of Kante at Leicester; or sign another Defensive Midfielder, one with the skills that would allow him to recycle possession effectively whilst having the defensive skills to protect the defence.

Of those options, I would give Mctominay the opportunity to grow into that role.It would further enhance his game and even if Pogba does leave after, it would make him a much more complete midfielder. It would also be cheap and keep everyone happy. We would use Fred to deputise Pogba and Matic as cover for Mctominay. In addition, we would have more money to spend in attack, which can be used on Sancho/Grealish or whoever we want. We would even have the option of experimenting on the diamond, personally if we did this, I would like it to be wide, so that our full backs would not have too much responsibility in attack.

For example, on paper, the treble team was a flat 442, but if you actually look at their positions, the amount of time beckham and giggs came central, the willingness of scholes to push ahead of keane and keane himself sitting and spraying forward passes,it was a wide diamond. If we signed Grealish, we could operate with something similar, Pogba and Grealish as wide midfielders, Mctominay deep, Bruno advanced.

Without Pogba:

If we sell Pogba: We can sign a box to box midfielder that can replace him like for like and then improve Mctominay as a Defensive Midfielder or we can sign a Defensive Midfielder that can recycle possession and play either Fred/Mctominay as box to box/ball winning midfielders.

In this case, I would prefer to sign a defensive midfielder who already has the composure and passing ability to recycle possession and protect the defence. There are not many out there, but with the money we get from Pogba, we would have more than enough to look for and sign this player. This would also give Fred a chance to compete with Mctominay and see who is better in the box to box/ ball winner role.

NoPace

Yes, the wages is obviously a factor. I believe Lingard is on 75k a week?

Anyhow, knowing that a club like Tottenham is asking the state for economical support these days, there might not be much money in the marked. Our best chance to getting rid of players, is many including them in exchange deals, e.g. Lingard to Dortmund as part of the Sancho deal (replacement for outgoing Götze) or Jones to Villa.
Can't see Dortmund wanting Lingard but Smalling to Roma as part weight for Under, Zaniolo or Pellegrini or Jones or Lingard to a prem side like Villa as you say as a third or quarter of the Grealish fee (or to Norwich as half or most of the Buendia or Puuki if we can't get Ighalo, or West Ham as a third of the fee for Haller or Rice) or even Pereira to a Portuguese, Spanish or Italian side could be a useful idea.

Craig Ward

Stick Fred in at left-back instead of Shaw and that's a mighty fine team, good enough to knock Liverpool off their perch if they ever get on it.

I'll pretend I haven't seen Pogba's name!
Fred at LB? Is there some white text i'm missing?

Awful suggestion.

Our best midfielder to be played out of position? Mega joke

Craig Ward

Everything depends on Pogba, as at this moment I am in the position that we should sell him, but despite that, I will equate for the two scenarios.

With Pogba:

If Pogba stays, we should do one of the following: three consider putting more effort into converting McTominay into a Defensive Midfielder, improving his passing to allow Pogba push up the pitch; play Pogba deeper in a Fabregas/Drinkwater role and allow Mctominay to harass defenders in the mould of Kante at Leicester; or sign another Defensive Midfielder, one with the skills that would allow him to recycle possession effectively whilst having the defensive skills to protect the defence.

Of those options, I would give Mctominay the opportunity to grow into that role.It would further enhance his game and even if Pogba does leave after, it would make him a much more complete midfielder. It would also be cheap and keep everyone happy. We would use Fred to deputise Pogba and Matic as cover for Mctominay. In addition, we would have more money to spend in attack, which can be used on Sancho/Grealish or whoever we want. We would even have the option of experimenting on the diamond, personally if we did this, I would like it to be wide, so that our full backs would not have too much responsibility in attack.

For example, on paper, the treble team was a flat 442, but if you actually look at their positions, the amount of time beckham and giggs came central, the willingness of scholes to push ahead of keane and keane himself sitting and spraying forward passes,it was a wide diamond. If we signed Grealish, we could operate with something similar, Pogba and Grealish as wide midfielders, Mctominay deep, Bruno advanced.

Without Pogba:

If we sell Pogba: We can sign a box to box midfielder that can replace him like for like and then improve Mctominay as a Defensive Midfielder or we can sign a Defensive Midfielder that can recycle possession and play either Fred/Mctominay as box to box/ball winning midfielders.

In this case, I would prefer to sign a defensive midfielder who already has the composure and passing ability to recycle possession and protect the defence. There are not many out there, but with the money we get from Pogba, we would have more than enough to look for and sign this player. This would also give Fred a chance to compete with Mctominay and see who is better in the box to box/ ball winner role.
Regardless of whether Pogba stays or not, we need to sign a competent DM.

As it stand, Matic is our only DM and as we know he isn't going to be around forever. Fred and McTominey, while they both play deeper they aren't really natural DM's, both more in the ilk of box to box or a traditional DM.

Pogba simply cannot play DM, he's a liability there. He has been tried there and frankly he's not equipped to be there. He would be much more useful further up the pitch.

I've always said we need better quality throughout the squad so we need to sign a DM before Matic leaves.

For Example, if we signed K.Phillips from Leeds we'd have:
Matic/Phillips for DM, McTom/Fred for CM, Fernandes/Pogba for AM

Not a bad set of options for rotation/squad depth.

I'm all for Pogba leaving personally, think his stint here has been a bit of a let down and the media hype around him is so big its draining. A failed signing.

Pogba out, Grealish and Phillips in would be immense for me

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Fred at LB? Is there some white text i'm missing?

Awful suggestion.

Our best midfielder to be played out of position? Mega joke
No white text needed, he started his career at left-back. he's got all the tools to play there and would be an instant upgrade on Shaw, and it was in reply to a poster who couldn't find a place in their 18 man squad for a player who was probably our best player for the last 4/5 months, something you obviously agree on.

jamesjimmybyrondean

As it stand, Matic is our only DM and as we know he isn't going to be around forever. Fred and McTominey, while they both play deeper they aren't really natural DM's, both more in the ilk of box to box or a traditional DM.

Pogba simply cannot play DM, he's a liability there. He has been tried there and frankly he's not equipped to be there. He would be much more useful further up the pitch.

I've always said we need better quality throughout the squad so we need to sign a DM before Matic leaves.

I'm all for Pogba leaving personally, think his stint here has been a bit of a let down and the media hype around him is so big its draining. A failed signing.

So assuming Pogba stays and we sign only a DM for midfield, what would be your midfield 3?

tjb

How good is Kalvin Phillips. I've heard a lot but I haven't seen him play

Nikelesh Reddy

I agree its not about the numbers, and in an ideal world, it'd be nice to have a player like Carrick/Kroos, but you have to be realistic, in that, even without Mata, Pereira, Lingard and Matic, we have four midfielders in Bruno, Pogba, McTominay and Fred, who, if they are here next season, you'd expect they'd make the matchday squad every week, providing they're fit. Bruno and Pogba are arguably world class, and Fred and McTominay have had excellent seasons to date. Highly unlikely that Ole is thinking about upgrading those four for now. That possibly leaves space for one midfielder if Ole will look to phase Matic out next season, giving the choice of, what I would say, 5 very good midfielders.

Question is, what type of midfielder would Ole want to add to our current squad?

Attacking Midfielder

Someone who will be a good back up to Bruno. Currently, if Bruno was to get injured, we'd have to go back to Pereira or Lingard, which most would agree they're not at the required level.

Holding midfielder/Deep Lying Playmaker

Someone who will sit in front of the back four and allow Pogba/Fred/McTominay to play the box to box role.

Versatile midfielder

A playmaker who can play both as a 10 and 6, meaning they can come in and cover for Bruno and Pogba.

Now from the options, if we are to add to our midfield list, then I would lean towards getting a versatile midfielder. Someone who can play as an attacking and deep midfielder.

That would leave us with a starting XI and bench of something like:

Martial
Rashford Bruno Winger
Fred Pogba
Shaw Maguire Lindelof Wan-Bissaka
De Gea

Romero Bailly Williams McTominay New Midfielder James/Greenwood Striker (Ighalo?)

I think your getting a bit too excited about Fred.Yeah,he’s improved recently but he’s still nowhere near being a top class operator in the middle of the park.Hes still far too sloppy on the ball,and he still gets brushed off Possesion far too easily...Let’s not hang our hopes on Fred,we definitely need more quality than what he can offer.

Walters_19_MuFc

I think your getting a bit too excited about Fred.Yeah,he’s improved recently but he’s still nowhere near being a top class operator in the middle of the park.Hes still far too sloppy on the ball,and he still gets brushed off Possesion far too easily...Let’s not hang our hopes on Fred,we definitely need more quality than what he can offer.
I wouldn't say I'm getting excited, as such. I just think based on the season both he and McTominay have had to date, I can see Ole starting with at least one of them next season and rightly so too. Whether you like it or not, Fred has arguably been our best player this season, and has shown vast improvement this season.

Craig Ward

No white text needed, he started his career at left-back. he's got all the tools to play there and would be an instant upgrade on Shaw, and it was in reply to a poster who couldn't find a place in their 18 man squad for a player who was probably our best player for the last 4/5 months, something you obviously agree on.
Freds our best midfielder by some while, shipping him out of position makes no sense.

If you want to upgrade Shaw, fine, but sign an actual LB for that.

Freds a central midfielder. End of

Craig Ward

Pogba also lacks class in the middle of the park, loses possession and gets outworked by the opposition.

Just making a point that pogba is held in high regard and Fred isnt, wheres as they both have flaws. Freds an easier target to bash i guess though

Nikelesh Reddy

I wouldn't say I'm getting excited, as such. I just think based on the season both he and McTominay have had to date, I can see Ole starting with at least one of them next season and rightly so too. Whether you like it or not, Fred has arguably been our best player this season, and has shown vast improvement this season.
Best player??!Come on mate,that’s just a bit too much!!Rashford,Martial,Maguire,Wan Bissaka,Mctominay,perhaps even Greenwood have had better seasons than him.My problem with Fred is that he’s not very good at anything.Hes not a great creative spark who can create opportunities for others.....he’s not a driving force from midfield,someone who can carry the ball from box to box....he’s not a top class destroyer in the middle of the park who can effectively shield our back 4....and he’s certainly not a deep lying playmaker who can set the tempo of a game....

Between him and Mctominay,I would pick Mctominay every day of the week....I can see Mctominay being a good squad player at United who can play 25-30 games a season....

Nikelesh Reddy

Pogba also lacks class in the middle of the park, loses possession and gets outworked by the opposition.

Just making a point that pogba is held in high regard and Fred isnt, wheres as they both have flaws. Freds an easier target to bash i guess though
But Pogba more than makes up for all these obvious flaws because of his top class creativity.I”m not a huge fan of the guy...I”ve become very irritated with his attitude over the years and I wouldn’t lose any sleep if he leaves at the end of the season.But even I have to admit that he’s got top class quality on the ball.His ability to play the killer pass,play the long ball,unlock a defence and run with the ball is there for everybody to see.Honestly Freds nowhere near being in the same league as Pogba...

MrSingh2002

Martial
Rashford Fernandes Sancho
Fred McTominay
Grimaldo Maguire Tuanzebe AWB
De Gea

Subs
Romero
Williams
Lindelof
Matic
James
Ighalo

Sold
Jones for any amount
Smalling for 15m minimum
Shaw for 15m minimum
Pogba 100m minimum

GailSpaceWynand

Best player??!Come on mate,that’s just a bit too much!!Rashford,Martial,Maguire,Wan Bissaka,Mctominay,perhaps even Greenwood have had better seasons than him.My problem with Fred is that he’s not very good at anything.Hes not a great creative spark who can create opportunities for others.....he’s not a driving force from midfield,someone who can carry the ball from box to box....he’s not a top class destroyer in the middle of the park who can effectively shield our back 4....and he’s certainly not a deep lying playmaker who can set the tempo of a game....

Between him and Mctominay,I would pick Mctominay every day of the week....I can see Mctominay being a good squad player at United who can play 25-30 games a season....
Maybe you need to watch this season again. He has been one of the best this season. He is the driving force in midfield carrying the ball from box to box. He has been our engine and has hardly put a foot wrong.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
—————-Henderson
————Bailly——Maguire
AWB——————————Shaw
————-McT———Fred
—————-Fernandes
Sancho———————-Rashford
——————Martial

Romero
Lindelof
Williams
Matić
James
Greenwood
Ighalo

Out

De Gea
Pogba

In

Sancho
Bellingham (loan out)
Ighalo

Last edited:

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
My ideal summer would be:

Incomings:
Sancho - £100m
Grealish - £40m
Bellingham - £30m
Ighalo - £15m
Zakaria Or K.Phillips £45m or £25-30m

Total spend:
Between £215/230m

Outgoings:
Pogba - £110m
Smalling - £20m
Sanchez - £10m (or we simply take a hit and release him on a free)
Rojo - £15-20m
Lingard - £20m
Jones - £10m
Gomes - Free / Contract issue

Total:
Between £175 - £190m

GK:
Romero/Henderson/De Gea
FB:
Shaw/Williams/AWB/Dalot
CB:
Tuanzebe/Maguire/Bailly/Lindelof
CM:
Fred/McTom/Matic/Zakaria or Phillips/Periera
AM:
Fernandes/Grealish/Mata
Wide Forwards:
James/Sancho/Rashford/Greenwood/Chong
ST:
Martial/Ighalo

Could be a few tricky situations next season:
1) Goalkeepers
Henderson will want to play and may not want another loan. De Gea has been world class for us so it'd still expect him to be No1. Henderson will have Euro 2021 on his mind now so will want to play and make a mark for a place. I'd personally be ok IF De Gea pushed for a move to sell him and promoting Henderson, but it will be a very busy transfer window so wouldnt force it.

2) Current loans dont go permanent.
Smalling/Sanchez and Rojo on loans. They have shown over time they dont offer us much and are surplus here, would be a disaster and seriously hamper our incomings if we couldnt move them on permanently,

3) Pogba. Why always Pogba
Its seriously time for him to go, i'd much rather we didnt see his inflated ego any longer. But he's a tricky one to sell. Worth more in merchandising than value on the pitch, only a limited number of clubs would entertain having him. He wants to go. Selling him allows us to improve the playing squad, thats reason enough for me

Its going to be an interesting window, but i feel our outgoings are going to be just as important.

Id expect us to be active and proactive and make some bold decisions, such as the Pogba one
On what planet does Woodward/Judge complete that many transfers in one summer?

Craig Ward

But Pogba more than makes up for all these obvious flaws because of his top class creativity.I”m not a huge fan of the guy...I”ve become very irritated with his attitude over the years and I wouldn’t lose any sleep if he leaves at the end of the season.But even I have to admit that he’s got top class quality on the ball.His ability to play the killer pass,play the long ball,unlock a defence and run with the ball is there for everybody to see.Honestly Freds nowhere near being in the same league as Pogba...
One plays with 100% workrate and the other is Pogba. Big difference.

No debate for me who is more worthy and does a better job in our team

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I made a thread a couple of weeks back asking whether fans feel we need an attacking midfielder or defensive midfielder. Now, a lot of us, including myself, talk about bringing in X amount of players, but don't really think about the week to week matchday squad and the players that would be potentially left out of that.

Currently, in midfield (defensive and attacking midfield position) we have:

Matic
Pogba
McTominay
Fred
Bruno
Lingard
Pereira
Mata

This means, because Ole favours a 4231, more often than not, only 5 players from the above list will be actually be in the match day squad. Normally three defensive midfielders and two attacking midfielders. More recently, it has been Bruno, Fred and Matic starting, with McTominay and Mata on the bench.

That leaves three out of the matchday squad. Now, because two of those players have recently been Pereira and Lingard, people won't bat an eyelid, as most would say they aren't good enough to make our matchday squad. However, Pogba when he returns will be in the matchday squad, so who out of that list above drops out.

This is why I say I don't think we need another midfielder. Obviously if players leave the situation changes, but as it stands, we have too many players, in my opinion.

Yes, we will possibly have injuries, but that's when the fringe/youth players come in. Give Pereira and Lingard's spot to Gomes and Garner. See how they fare.

EDIT:

To make this clearer, I want people to put their starting XI, subs and back up players, highlighting the midfielders. Add any potential signings you feel we'll make.

For example,

Martial
Rashford Bruno Winger
Fred Pogba
Shaw Maguire Lindelof Wan-Bissaka
De Gea

Romero Bailly Williams McTominay James Greenwood Ighalo

Standby: Matic, Mata

Youth players: Gomes, Garner

We could possibly get an attacking midfielder to put on the bench for James/Greenwood.
Martial/Ighalo
Rash/DJ - Bruno/Mata - Sancho/Mason
Zakaria/Matic - McTominay/Fred
Shaw/Williams - Maguire/Tuanzebe -Lindelof/Bailly - Wan-Bissaka/Dalot
De Gea/Romero

Would be nice if we kept Pogba, but I dont see it. Zakaria is just a type. Could be Partey too. But someone in this mould.

lenny_1248

Sancho and Ighalo will do it if Pogba stays. If not a replacement should be signed.
Adding Belingham will be a dream.
Obviously you want someone better than Lingard and Pereira to replace Bruno, and I'd love Grealish, but if the club decides against this (f.e. the fee would be too high) it is totally understandable.

So, Sancho, Ighalo (and in a dream scenario Jude) IN. If Pogba stays.
Rojo, Jones, Smalling (or at least two of them) and one of Pereira/Lingard (or both if Grealish comes) should be sold. And Dalot, who is bang average and injury-prone, Ethan Laird is a much better prospect, though he also has issues with injuries.

Fosu-Mens

The most important element first: Pogba wants to leave and should leave. Obvious that he does not want to be here, and the things Raiola has said over the last months has been on PP behalf (acting as the bad guy to get his player a move). Don't see a point in hard balling this as it would likely detract potential star players from coming here. Especially players from France. Despite this, it should be said that on his day or is in the right situation, he is almost unplayable and our best player. Sadly, the combination of our status and ability as a team and PPs abilities have so far shown to be a mismatch. Get what we can (+ £100m) from either Juventus or Real Madrid.

Our current two starting midfielders in Fred and McT are not good enough on the ball as a pair in games where we are playing against a deep sitting team. They are both, arguably, better as disruptive players, i.e. when the team is not on the ball. Matic can perform somewhat in both situations, but should not play many games over a short period based on the last few seasons and his sudden drop in form after an intensive schedule.

Dependent on what is available on the market, I would consider buying two midfielders that are more comfortable on the ball.
The options we should look at are Partey, Tonali, Zakaria and Phillips. In my opinion, these four are better players than our current options for central or defensive midfielders, especially in games where we play against a deep sitting team.
1. Partey is the safest and best option. Only question should be if he is willing to join us. If he is, then we should activate his clause.
2. Tonali is the best passer (his range and ability to spot opportunities from deep is impressive), and can operate in a number of midfield roles.
3. Zakaria is the most dynamic player(difficult to evaluate non-holding type of midfielders in the Bundesliga due to how intensive and gung-hoo the league has been the last two seasons). Potential high upside, but also some uncertainty on how he would suit the league.
4. Phillips is extremely good at playing through the first line of pressing, but if Leeds gets promoted he will stay.

If we sell PP, we should aim to get two midfielders. Partey should be on top of that list together with Tonali.

The obvious, at least to me, main target for this summer should be Sancho. buying him would also mean that there is less pressure on our midfielders to act as creative players, but they should still be able to transition the ball into areas where Bruno and hopefully Sancho operates.

Dependent on money spent and available we should also consider improving our left-back (Telles or Grimaldo?) and central defender (Ake).

Outgoings:
1. Sanchez. Pay him off if needed.
2. Lingard. Same.
3. Jones. £10m?
4. PP. +£100m.
5. Pereira. £10m?
6. Smalling. £20m to Roma.
(DDG could be sold, dependent on Henderson and what we can get for him.)

In:
1. Sancho. + £100m
2. Partey. £40m clause. (Phillips)
3. Tonali. Brescia going down to Serie B.(Zakaria)

LB(Grimaldo/Telles), CB(Ake) and striker(Ighalo?) and some performing championship player(Eze or Benrahma) should be dependent on what we can afford and availability/cost of the player.

Starting 11(Additional potential changes):

DDG (Henderson)
AWB - Maguire - Lindelof(Ake) - Shaw(Telles/Grimaldo)
Tonali - Partey
Sancho
- Bruno - Rashford
Martial​

Nikelesh Reddy

One plays with 100% workrate and the other is Pogba. Big difference.

No debate for me who is more worthy and does a better job in our team
If your talking about “work rate”,then yes,Fred and Mctominay work harder for the team.But would I pick Fred ahead of a fully fit Pogba?definitely not..,Even when Pogba plays poorly he invariably creates 2-3 good chances for the strikers...

lenny_1248

Tonali - Partey
Seems like some FIFA bs.
We don't need two holding midfielders or box-to-box midfielders if Pogba goes. Fred-New Signing should be a starting option. Then we have McT and Matic. Whether it'd be Partey or someone else I don't know.
It'd be better to buy a versatile attacking midfielder then. Someone like Grealish or Soler.
My personal preference if Pogba is sold is Fabian Ruiz.

Fosu-Mens

Seems like some FIFA bs.
We don't need two holding midfielders or box-to-box midfielders if Pogba goes. Fred-New Signing should be a starting option. Then we have McT and Matic. Whether it'd be Partey or someone else I don't know.
It'd be better to buy a versatile attacking midfielder then. Someone like Grealish or Soler.
My personal preference if Pogba is sold is Fabian Ruiz.
Have you seen them play? Are they not, at least based on their abilities, better than our current options? Especially on the ball?

Fred, McT and Matic are not good enough when the team is trying to control the game or transitioning the ball into the final third. If we had fullbacks that could operate as playmakers like TTA or Kimmich, attacking players able to create or a well functioning passing pattern and movement, then the need for better ball-playing midfielders would not be as prominent. We do not.