We actually don't need a midfielder! | Post your starting XI and bench with potential positions you think we'll sign! CHECK OP!

Dve

Every year, people in here are keep making it sounds easy.

If it was that easy selling players, why it took us 3 years to finally sell Darmian? How come we couldn't sell Rojo & Smalling that both of them had to leave on loan? Who in the world want to spend 20m each for Lingard & Pereira?
While it took a blink of an eye to sell Fellaini and Young.

It´s difficult to foresee how the pandemic will influence the transfer marked this summer, but Lingard and Jones are exactly the kind of players many clubs would be tempted by. Both in their prime, both former international players for England. There is always a hope a club change is what is needed to get players like them back on track, and then suddenly you´ve got yourself a top player for a bargain.

Smalling, apparently, has been great for Roma this season, and he´s been linked both to Arsenal and Tottenham. United has put a 25m price tag on him - a bit too high for Roma, but maybe they would be willing to pay 15-20.

Pereira is 24 and has 72 games for a club of the size of Manchester United. Must be possible to get some money for him.

Rojo I´m not so sure about. He could have gone to Everton last fall, but he´s a 30 years old, very injury prone player, with one year left of his contract. 10m is probably too much to hope for (he has played as much as 1 game for Estudiantes, and been injured ever since...).

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
While it took a blink of an eye to sell Fellaini and Young.

It´s difficult to foresee how the pandemic will influence the transfer marked this summer, but Lingard and Jones are exactly the kind of players many clubs would be tempted by. Both in their prime, both former international players for England. There is always a hope a club change is what is needed to get players like them back on track, and then suddenly you´ve got yourself a top player for a bargain.

Smalling, apparently, has been great for Roma this season, and he´s been linked both to Arsenal and Tottenham. United has put a 25m price tag on him - a bit too high for Roma, but maybe they would be willing to pay 15-20.

Pereira is 24 and has 72 games for a club of the size of Manchester United. Must be possible to get some money for him.
Rojo I´m not so sure about. He could have gone to Everton last fall, but he´s a 30 years old, very injury prone player, with one year left of his contract. 10m is probably too much to hope for (he has played as much as 1 game for Estudiantes, and been injured ever since...).
Being 27-28 years old doesn't make the player their prime, they are currently in decline. Even Owen was in decline at that age. Jones is an injury prone while Lingard hasn't score a single goal & assist in PL since the start of 2019. You expect a team to pay 20m for each these two? I wish there are stupid clubs out there.

United placed 25m price tag and Roma is hesitant to meet the price despite of his good performance. Of course who wants to spend 20m+ on a centre back who is going to turn 31 this year?

The Pereira idea is ridiculous, you are forcing this way too much to suit your argument. The guy only had 24 start league games for us. 72 games come from Europa League, cup games & as a sub means nothing to be worth of 20m plus.

Is there anything more that I can do to convince you? If nothing more then all I can say is, keep dreaming then mate.

Dve

Being 27-28 years old doesn't make the player their prime, they are currently in decline. Even Owen was in decline at that age. Jones is an injury prone while Lingard hasn't score a single goal & assist in PL since the start of 2019. You expect a team to pay 20m for each these two? I wish there are stupid clubs out there.

United placed 25m price tag and Roma is hesitant to meet the price despite of his good performance. Of course who wants to spend 20m+ on a centre back who is going to turn 31 this year?

The Pereira idea is ridiculous, you are forcing this way too much to suit your argument. The guy only had 24 start league games for us. 72 games come from Europa League, cup games & as a sub means nothing to be worth of 20m plus.

Is there anything more that I can do to convince you? If nothing more then all I can say is, keep dreaming then mate.
Only the future will tell, but I believe you are looking at it through the eyes of a United supporter (Lingard is shit etc.) and fail to see the broader picture. Would you have guessed Inter would pay 75m for (shit) Lukaku, and 4m for 34 years old Young with half a year left of his contract? I think having Manchester United on your CV is worth more than you realise.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Only the future will tell, but I believe you are looking at it through the eyes of a United supporter (Lingard is shit etc.) and fail to see the broader picture. Would you have guessed Inter would pay 75m for (shit) Lukaku, and 4m for 34 years old Young with half a year left of his contract? I think having Manchester United on your CV is worth more than you realise.
What a bizzare comparison. You seem to post them without taking your time to think about it. In your mind, you think they are not good enough so they must be in the same category. The actual fact is that they have assets compared to the others, thus why it didn't take difficulty to sell them and it didn't take years to finally find a club who wants to purchase them.

Yes I would. Lukaku is still a pure goal scorer who scores goals for United, last season he scored more goals than both Rashford & Martial. Just because the player is not good enough for certain club, doesn't mean he's not good enough for other club and a manager who always wanted him like Conte. I expect nothing less than 75m, if Inter doesn't want to pay, we get to keep a player who can score goals in our bench or even in our starting XI.

4m for 30+ years old is realistic especially in January. I don't expect us to get 20m + from him like how you expect from our players. The guy even still involved in our big matches this season for us and performed.

Those two are not comparable to Lingard who hasn't score a single league goal & assist for more than a year, Pereira who offer no quality & end product, injury prone centre back & 30+ years old centre back. How in the world they are comparable to Lukaku & Young situation. There is a reason why we could sell them while the others are so difficult.

If having United CV will make you worth more, I tell you something mate, lucky that you are not in charge in business of any football club, otherwise, they will be ruined by your way of thinking.

UDontMessWith24

If Pogba goes and Bruno is injures for an extended period, then what? Imo in this scenario it’d be imperative to bring in a competent backup.

Dve

What a bizzare comparison. You seem to post them without taking your time to think about it. In your mind, you think they are not good enough so they must be in the same category. The actual fact is that they have assets compared to the others, thus why it didn't take difficulty to sell them and it didn't take years to finally find a club who wants to purchase them.

Yes I would. Lukaku is still a pure goal scorer who scores goals for United, last season he scored more goals than both Rashford & Martial. Just because the player is not good enough for certain club, doesn't mean he's not good enough for other club and a manager who always wanted him like Conte. I expect nothing less than 75m, if Inter doesn't want to pay, we get to keep a player who can score goals in our bench or even in our starting XI.

4m for 30+ years old is realistic especially in January. I don't expect us to get 20m + from him like how you expect from our players. The guy even still involved in our big matches this season for us and performed.

Those two are not comparable to Lingard who hasn't score a single league goal & assist for more than a year, Pereira who offer no quality & end product, injury prone centre back & 30+ years old centre back. How in the world they are comparable to Lukaku & Young situation. There is a reason why we could sell them while the others are so difficult.

If having United CV will make you worth more, I tell you something mate, lucky that you are not in charge in business of any football club, otherwise, they will be ruined by your way of thinking.
I believe that was my point exactly. Your argument boils down to one thing only: You think Lingard and Pereira are shite and therefore no one wants them.

The difference between Lukaku and Lingard, is that we got 75m for Lukaku, and Lingard, my guess is around 20m. You think less, and that´s ok.

There are many players comparable to Lingard, fallen out of favour with their current manager, and disliked by the fans. How many clubs do you think would be in for Thomas Lamar, although he had a difficult season at At. Madrid? I think quite a few, because of that he´s shown in the past. Just like Lingard.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I believe that was my point exactly. Your argument boils down to one thing only: You think Lingard and Pereira are shite and therefore no one wants them.

The difference between Lukaku and Lingard, is that we got 75m for Lukaku, and Lingard, my guess is around 20m. You think less, and that´s ok.

There are many players comparable to Lingard, fallen out of favour with their current manager, and disliked by the fans. How many clubs do you think would be in for Thomas Lamar, although he had a difficult season at At. Madrid? I think quite a few, because of that he´s shown in the past. Just like Lingard.
WTF?

I never say no one wants them. I said no one will pay that amount of fees of the 20m + that you set on them. The argument is about whether there are clubs will pay those fees and clearly not with the quality they offer, lower the price or place them on loan then you will find club that wants them. If you set that high then we will struggle to sell like we always do. And guess what if we lower the price, then it's becoming realistic and your dream unrealistic signing ain't gonna happen in one summer window as well.

Your comparison on Lukaku is ridiculous, he has some quality to offer. You even used another poor example, Lemar was regard as talented player to be world class much much higher ceiling and more international football than Pereira and in much much better chance to recover his career than Lingard as Lemar is still 24 years old.

I'm struggling to understand why you can't see this. How much hype you can give to these players?

Dve

WTF?

I never say no one wants them. I said no one will pay that amount of fees of the 20m + that you set on them. The argument is about whether there are clubs will pay those fees and clearly not with the quality they offer, lower the price or place them on loan then you will find club that wants them. If you set that high then we will struggle to sell like we always do. And guess what if we lower the price, then it's becoming realistic and your dream unrealistic signing ain't gonna happen in one summer window as well.

Your comparison on Lukaku is ridiculous, he has some quality to offer. You even used another poor example, Lemar was regard as talented player to be world class much much higher ceiling and more international football than Pereira and in much much better chance to recover his career than Lingard as Lemar is still 24 years old.

I'm struggling to understand why you can't see this. How much hype you can give to these players?
Not me, Transfermarkt (Pereira 20m, Lingard 22m), which normally are quite sober in their valuations of players. Pointless to argue anyway, the answer lies in the future.

NoPace

I think Lingard going for 20M would be possible if he wasn’t on high wages because of his England experience and versatility and good durability, but with them I’d guess more like 15M though Corona might change football economy so I mean before that. He’s played well as a 10 on the counter and is a good presser and it only takes one Prem team like Burnley who value the former or a team like Southampton or Norwich who value the latter to decide his experience and nationality mean he’s worth it.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Not me, Transfermarkt (Pereira 20m, Lingard 22m), which normally are quite sober in their valuations of players. Pointless to argue anyway, the answer lies in the future.
I don't know man, trying to use logic on you but you don't get it. If that's what you want to believe, you can believe it, ain't forcing you. People in this forum had this type of discussion about who to buy and how the budget can be increased by selling bunch of deadwood players in certain fees every season and we know it didn't work out as plan as how people had their ideal of football manager game.

Dve

I don't know man, trying to use logic on you but you don't get it. If that's what you want to believe, you can believe it, ain't forcing you. People in this forum had this type of discussion about who to buy and how the budget can be increased by selling bunch of deadwood players in certain fees every season and we know it didn't work out as plan as how people had their ideal of football manager game.
Logic. Lingard no good. Therefore, small money.
Great stuff. Thanks.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Logic. Lingard no good. Therefore, small money.
Great stuff. Thanks.
Not rocket science really, not sure how you can't understand a simple logic. If player is not good then no club will be stupid enough to spend big on the player. Only Arsenal will be stupid enough to do it like how they did it on Welbeck. I wouldn't dare to spend money on something that is not good enough & not worthy, would you?

Dve

Not rocket science really, not sure how you can't understand a simple logic. If player is not good then no club will be stupid enough to spend big on the player. Only Arsenal will be stupid enough to do it like how they did it on Welbeck. I wouldn't dare to spend money on something that is not good enough & not worthy, would you?
No, it´s not rocket science. It´s your subjective opinion on a player and it has nothing to do with science. I can´t say for certain what some club might wanna pay for Lingard - especially not in these corona times. But Tranfermarkt has him at 22m, and it´s doesn´t sound too wild to me. But I don´t know, and neither do you. You think he´s worth less, and that´s fine. No problem. But please drop your smart ass attitude, it just makes you look like a arse, and I´m sure you´re perfectly alright.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No, it´s not rocket science. It´s your subjective opinion on a player and it has nothing to do with science. I can´t say for certain what some club might wanna pay for Lingard - especially not in these corona times. But Tranfermarkt has him at 22m, and it´s doesn´t sound too wild to me. But I don´t know, and neither do you. You think he´s worth less, and that´s fine. No problem. But please drop your smart ass attitude, it just makes you look like a arse, and I´m sure you´re perfectly alright.
Like I said before, you can believe whatever you want to believe. There is nothing else I can offer to convince you, the stage you are in right now is beyond from my help to convince you that your original post was unrealistic.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
Like I said before, you can believe whatever you want to believe. There is nothing else I can offer to convince you, the stage you are in right now is beyond from my help to convince you that your original post was unrealistic.
So can you. The man said it is not his opinion but valuation of transfermarkt (considered fairly accurate) but hey don't let that come between a good ol' rant. Trying to use logic? Beyond my help? Laughable. Your "logic" is as subjective as his so maybe stop insulting the poster and try having a decent debate?

Transfer fees are always subjective and should be seen in context.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So can you. The man said it is not his opinion but valuation of transfermarkt (considered fairly accurate) but hey don't let that come between a good ol' rant. Trying to use logic? Beyond my help? Laughable. Your "logic" is as subjective as his so maybe stop insulting the poster and try having a decent debate?

Transfer fees are always subjective and should be seen in context.
What about if you actually read the whole discussion first before jump the gun as you only judged this based on my latest post on him & his latest post. The whole discussion is not about player's valuation but it's about whether there are buyers out there can meet the valuation that he could dream of so the club can sign his dream signings in one window Sancho, Koulibally & Grealish.

The debate was decent at the beginning until the poster decided to make it ridiculously silly with excuses after excuses and making a non logic comparison to other players (Lukaku, Lemar, Young). If you think my post as a insult, try to report it and see what the admin will say, whether the trigger pulled by me first or it was actually pulled by the other poster.

Do you really actually believe that clubs buy their players based on similar fees as on transfermarkt?

If it was that simple like that, we wouldn't have problem to sell players or get a good fees with the likes of Sanchez, Smalling, Rojo, Jones, Darmian, Fellaini and etc. I'm trying to tell the poster what had happened in the past even the recent one we already saw that Roma didn't even want to meet Smalling's valuation.

SpyLuke10

Assuming we hold onto Pogba, we still need a pure DM imo. This would give us the option of properly playing 4-3-3. If Pogba goes, we'll need a creative mid replacement too.

Web of Bissaka

Agree.
  1. Bruno is our messiah, forever stay. Will his great form gets worse? No way.
  2. Fred is our savior, never make mistakes nor have other flaws.
  3. Pogba is world class and consistent, his dream is to play committed for United until retirement.
  4. McTominay is a superb squad player, impossible to "lose his head" just like many of our youth did before him.
  5. Matic is the older he gets, the better he is like wine. Can play many games, top fitness and ever since he's here, never had bad run of games.
  6. Mata is a magician. Not good as he was before but no way he's getting worse, always visible in games. Extend his contract.
  7. Lingod is young and have godlike potential. He showed the purple form that rivaled Messi before. Now off form but we must be patient.
  8. Pereira.
  9. Gomes, is the second Pogba but different playstyle. We need to keep him at all costs and satisfy his demands, give him games Ole. Gomes FC. He will become world class guarantee.
  10. Garner, give him games. He will be the new Carrick. New players will only block his progress.
Apologies in advance if this sounds condescending. Fair thread actually in opposite perspectives arguing keeping things as it is. But then remember SAF's mistakes - he completely ignored midfield in his late seasons.

Negotiations are never easy, therefore we should not try. Have funds? Doesn't matter, Save money. Don't have funds so we should sell? Selling players is difficult so we shouldnt try and instead extend their contract even longer so we can retain them for future selling.

The current midfield option is "stable"? Good enough.

Take risks to improve? No. Don't "fix" what's not broken i.e. let it remains so, dont make any changes. But what if we want to improve it which need tries to make changes? No, too risky.

Conclusion:
Don't need new midfielders.

Jose Jaime Eskauriatza

Supports
The Ole Train
Overloaded now, get rid of the obvious 2/3 no names but we know who... invest heavily on RW (or put Sanchez there if no takers)... unfortunately; attacking right side is our sh*thole or more politically decently put our area that most needs addressing...

Preggy99

I think we do need 1 or 2 more midfielders, but not the likes of Grealish or Maddison that have been talked about. IF (big if) we keep Pogba and sell Lingard and Pereira which I think we should, then Fernandes and Pogba are our attacking options through the middle so I don't see a need for the two mentioned at the start of this post.

We should go for a proper DMC romper stomper who can tackle, break up play and win the ball back. Like how Kante was when he played for Leicester. There must be some players out there in the lower divisions of France, Spain, Belgium, Holland or even in Africa just waiting to be found like Kante was. We just got to ID them, scout and snap them up.

I do think we need a proper tricky winger as well. James is ok, still young and learning, some potential there. Martial/Rashford for me work well off the wings too and can cut in and score from there, but they are not players who hug the touchline and make the pitch wide. So for me, a tricky winger is in order, that can skin a man and whip in dangerous crosses time after time.

Reactions: Sultan

Dve

What about if you actually read the whole discussion first before jump the gun as you only judged this based on my latest post on him & his latest post. The whole discussion is not about player's valuation but it's about whether there are buyers out there can meet the valuation that he could dream of so the club can sign his dream signings in one window Sancho, Koulibally & Grealish.

The debate was decent at the beginning until the poster decided to make it ridiculously silly with excuses after excuses and making a non logic comparison to other players (Lukaku, Lemar, Young). If you think my post as a insult, try to report it and see what the admin will say, whether the trigger pulled by me first or it was actually pulled by the other poster.

Do you really actually believe that clubs buy their players based on similar fees as on transfermarkt?

If it was that simple like that, we wouldn't have problem to sell players or get a good fees with the likes of Sanchez, Smalling, Rojo, Jones, Darmian, Fellaini and etc. I'm trying to tell the poster what had happened in the past even the recent one we already saw that Roma didn't even want to meet Smalling's valuation.
Sure you are ok?

GailSpaceWynand

I did read the entire discussion and hence called out your apparent "logic". I don't understand how you refuse to see why clubs wouldn't go for the likes of Lingard/Pereira for that sum. It's easier to look at it with benefit of hindsight but did it seem obvious smalling would do well at Roma or Lukaku or Young after their performances over the last year?

Clubs often look at the bigger picture and the last season though important isn't everything. Lingard is 27 and has more than a few years left. 20m in todays market is reasonable. Pereira is better (from a buying standpoint) - can play multiple positions and is younger. Jones can easily do a job and will be good for any PL club (except top 6) I mean it is not written in stone but to not consider it a possibility? Presumptuous at best.

I agree we probably can't get all of these over the line but the clearances since Ole should point to how it is definitely possible even though not obvious. Roma doesn't want to meet Smalling valuation? Well it'll be their loss considering a lot of PL teams will swoop for the sum we are expecting.

Lastly try having a mature discussion without all this shit about reporting posts or bringing up football manager and "logic". It's your viewpoint and frankly not a well educated one; It's basic tripe to assume Lingard is a nobody, perreia can't make a decent pass and Jones is injury prone. Thankfully football teams have more long term thinkers/planners who'd see value where it is not apparent rather than go for the popular opinion. Getting 50m for these 3 is reasonable.

Edit: also transfer fee is one way for reccuperting the sum. Wages like Sanchez/Lingard are on, will take a lot of our books in the long term.

cyril C

All these talk about COV-19 will bring down the transfer value by 30% or something. Do you think Sancho will be 120x0.7 = 84m?

When clubs need addition or replacement, they will still need to buy. It only means less likely going into crazy bid, or mid-level clubs standing firm on a decent bid.

In fact, IMO, it will be to our advantage. Because mid-level club cannot afford Maddison, but can afford Lingard. Jones and Smalling would be value for money. Dortmund will also be desperate for cash, so willing to listen to offer. Any club offering 80m for Kane would be done, but we should not be after him.

Dve

All these talk about COV-19 will bring down the transfer value by 30% or something. Do you think Sancho will be 120x0.7 = 84m?

When clubs need addition or replacement, they will still need to buy. It only means less likely going into crazy bid, or mid-level clubs standing firm on a decent bid.

In fact, IMO, it will be to our advantage. Because mid-level club cannot afford Maddison, but can afford Lingard. Jones and Smalling would be value for money. Dortmund will also be desperate for cash, so willing to listen to offer. Any club offering 80m for Kane would be done, but we should not be after him.
Interesting to read the statement from Tottenham chairman, and he does not sound optimistic regarding the normality of the coming window:

"When I read or hear stories about player transfers this summer like nothing has happened, people need to wake up to the enormity of what is happening around us."

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2020/march/message-from-the-chairman/

A way this pandemic could influence the marked, is that less money is paid upfront, and more tied to bonuses. But that´s just a thought. It´s sure going to be an interesting summer.

Preggy99

WTF?

Someone will pay 20m for Lingard. Absolutely they will, transfer market is ridiculously overpriced. Players always going for way more than they are worth. Some club in Italy or Spain will pay that for Lingard, Riola the rat will see to that too, he wants his slice of the rat cake.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I did read the entire discussion and hence called out your apparent "logic". I don't understand how you refuse to see why clubs wouldn't go for the likes of Lingard/Pereira for that sum. It's easier to look at it with benefit of hindsight but did it seem obvious smalling would do well at Roma or Lukaku or Young after their performances over the last year?

Clubs often look at the bigger picture and the last season though important isn't everything. Lingard is 27 and has more than a few years left. 20m in todays market is reasonable. Pereira is better (from a buying standpoint) - can play multiple positions and is younger. Jones can easily do a job and will be good for any PL club (except top 6) I mean it is not written in stone but to not consider it a possibility? Presumptuous at best.

I agree we probably can't get all of these over the line but the clearances since Ole should point to how it is definitely possible even though not obvious. Roma doesn't want to meet Smalling valuation? Well it'll be their loss considering a lot of PL teams will swoop for the sum we are expecting.

Lastly try having a mature discussion without all this shit about reporting posts or bringing up football manager and "logic". It's your viewpoint and frankly not a well educated one; It's basic tripe to assume Lingard is a nobody, perreia can't make a decent pass and Jones is injury prone. Thankfully football teams have more long term thinkers/planners who'd see value where it is not apparent rather than go for the popular opinion. Getting 50m for these 3 is reasonable.

Edit: also transfer fee is one way for reccuperting the sum. Wages like Sanchez/Lingard are on, will take a lot of our books in the long term.
You said you read the entire discussion and yet you are still referring to the Lukaku & Young situation despite of my explanation in the discussion that their situation are different to the ones that we have at the moment. Both Lukaku & Young were still performing for us compared to others, thus why it's not as difficult as the others to find club who wants to meet their valuation. Agree?

However, when you look at the likes of Lingard & Pereira who are considered as attacking midfield, they have been so incredibly under-performed with no end product to offer. The likes of Jones & Rojo are injury prone while Smalling is going to turn 31 years old. There is no reasonable reason for clubs especially the mid table & low table team to take a risk to meet the valuation (see below quote) at this stage.

Shall I remind you of what happened to Darmian? Even with Smalling performing well with Roma, they are still hesitant to meet our 20m valuation. You are speaking about clubs often look at the bigger picture, and yet I don't understand how yours & the poster's reason is so narrow.

You need to understand when spending such a money on players who are not performing, club will look at the chances of the players to recover their form or career and whether they can be worth the money for long term or selling them later on. Player like Memphis was regarded talented and at young age, Lukaku still managed to be our 2nd highest top scorer last season, while Young has such a small valuation that club has no issue to pay for it, clubs will be willing to take a risk to meet the exact or similar valuation. Never mind all of these, you also need to see what the covid 19 will impact financially on the club's transfer budget which makes them to think even twice to spend the money. Agree?

The likely chance to happen is that we need to lower the price than what their actual value, otherwise they are not interested to buy but only aim to go for loan deal to play safe and ensure whether the player is worthy. Lot of these clubs are smart enough to see that we need to sell the players, and they will take the advantage to bargain.

Comparison with Lukaku & Young situation are way off & expecting clubs will take a risk to pay such a money on players that majority are under-performed and some of them are in their 30s based on Transfermarkt & having Manchester United players in their CV show lack of the bigger picture in the discussion, on top of it the amount of business that are made in short period of time is strengthened my point that it becomes more unrealistic as we will expect club try to do negotiation to get lower price and it'll take time. Thus, I see no logic, you can agree & disagree though regarding being disrespectful but to me the poster's excuses/reasons are so narrow and he/she keep repeating the same thing in every post which pulled the trigger.

This is the poster's valuation for him to get his dream of Sancho, Grealish & Koulibaly:
Smalling: 20m
Lingard: 22m
Pereira: 20m
Jones: 9m
Rojo: 10m

cyril C

Interesting to read the statement from Tottenham chairman, and he does not sound optimistic regarding the normality of the coming window:

"When I read or hear stories about player transfers this summer like nothing has happened, people need to wake up to the enormity of what is happening around us."

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2020/march/message-from-the-chairman/

A way this pandemic could influence the marked, is that less money is paid upfront, and more tied to bonuses. But that´s just a thought. It´s sure going to be an interesting summer.
I don't know the UK Furlough scheme in detail, but I guess it will be allowing companies to offload their employee for a limited period of time, while government pay them some money, meanwhile in some country it could be government give company the cash and company promise not to fire staff.

When MU agreed to pay 1m to casual contractors, it generally means the Club has reviewed its cash flow situation and felt comfortable to afford this 1m. This also mean we should be able to survive for another 6 months before new season starts.

How MU (and the other European clubs) march into the new season is another matter. Assuming new season starts in August, and assuming worst case scenario of a void 2019 season with no more revenue coming in, every clubs must kick start their recruitment and replacement plan. I am confident that MU will be in a strong position simply because 50+% of our revenue coming from commercial, hence any loss in TV and ticket revenue is less significant than others.

Dve

This is the poster's valuation for him to get his dream of Sancho, Grealish & Koulibaly:

Smalling: 20m
Lingard: 22m
Pereira: 20m
Jones: 9m
Rojo: 10m
Transfermarkt´s valuation. Send them a letter with the right numbers, and I´m sure they will make the corrections.

Walters_19_MuFc

What happened during initial part of the season
Wolves - we scored first, but conceded later
Crystal Palace - we conceded first, equalised but then couldn't defend at extra time
Southampton - scored 1st, conceded later

West Ham - couldn't defend at all
Arsenal - scored first, conceded later
Newcastle - couldn't score, conceded late
Liverpool - scored 1st, conceded late

Unable to break down a team is 1 problem, but inability to defend is a bigger problem. So the obvious deficiency is lack of balance in the team - while we tried to score we over-exposed, we failed on set pieces, we couldn't break down a bus, and even if we did, we failed to kill the game.

Having both Pogba and Bruno doesn't address any of these problems. Having Bruno addressing the Bus problem, return of Matic address the balance and defense (part of it) problem. I am afraid to say that Pogba and Bruno is complementary of each other, that unless we are chasing a game, we can't afford BOTH of them at the same time.

Matic - McTom - Fred, we need minimum 1 preferably 2 of them, and Bruno must start most of the time. Pogba, if he wants to leave, his agent should work harder instead of empty talk.
Pogba only played in the four games I have highlighted. The other games consisted of a pivot out of Fred/Matic/McTominay, who you said we'd preferably need for balance, but we've conceded late in games with them too. Therefore, I'm not too sure what point you're trying to make.

Fact is, when you haven't the ability to kill games off, teams will always have their spell in the game. Since the arrival of Bruno, we've been much better at finishing teams off, scoring 22 goals in 9 games.

The introduction of Pogba, if we are to see him again, will only improve our chances of breaking teams down and killing them off. Yes, if we need to solidify our midfield late on then we can do, but our priority should be to outscore teams, and if we're going to do that, then of course Pogba and Bruno should play together.

Pogba started the season with McTominay, with Lingard/Pereira as a 10 and we were fine. He also played in a pivot next to Fellaini/Herrera when he first arrived, with Rooney/Lingard as a 10.

If we want to get back to the top again, we need to get back the days where teams know they're going to be under the cosh for most of the game, instead of thinking about balance. Don't get me wrong, balance is very important, but we're talking about Bruno and Pogba not two strikers playing in our midfield.

billybee99

What a laugh reading this. Why don't you give us a list of teams you think would pay 20 million for a guy who hasn't tallied a Premier League goal or assist for 15 months and is on 100,000£ per week and has a history of being an immature prat off the pitch?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Transfermarkt´s valuation. Send them a letter with the right numbers, and I´m sure they will make the corrections.
If it was that simple and easy, buy and sell players based on transmarkt’s valuation, lack of understanding of the situation and the business. Club don’t follow transmarkt’s valuation to buy players, value can go down drastically and also higher depends on many aspects which I had mentioned and explained before.

I don’t need to tell you this 100x times as I’m getting sick keep repeating the same thing, if you don’t want to read then you shouldn’t be entering the discussion again. Learn how to move on in the debate/discussion, you are making pointless point now just to drag this too long.

Dve

If it was that simple and easy, buy and sell players based on transmarkt’s valuation, lack of understanding of the situation and the business. Club don’t follow transmarkt’s valuation to buy players, value can go down drastically and also higher depends on many aspects which I had mentioned and explained before.

I don’t need to tell you this 100x times as I’m getting sick keep repeating the same thing, if you don’t want to read then you shouldn’t be entering the discussion again. Learn how to move on in the debate/discussion, you are making pointless point now just to drag this too long.
I think everyone got your point the first time you made it.

Bad player = small money

So why keep repeating it.

MattofManchester

A football club is greater than just it's first XI.

Going on the theory that Pogba stays, we will need a DM like Zakaria or Ndidi to sit in behind. Someone in that mould.

But then I also still think we need an additional midfielder. McTominay, Matic and Fred are all defensive options. We need someone to come in for Pogba or Bruno who offers creativity and plays it forward. Someone who can take on the creative input if we lose one of them for whatever reason(Injury, Fatigue, suspension)

The type of player I'm thinking of is Fabian Ruiz. Note that I said "type of player". I doubt he would be cheap or join as a bench option, but we definitely need a player of that mould to play a role for us.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
What a laugh reading this. Why don't you give us a list of teams you think would pay 20 million for a guy who hasn't tallied a Premier League goal or assist for 15 months and is on 100,000£ per week and has a history of being an immature prat off the pitch?
Everybody bar Liverpool, Man City and ourselves(because that would be just too weird)in the Premier League would gladly stump up £20+m for Lingard, as would numerous highly regarded clubs on the Continent, Leeds United and whoever eventually comes up from the Championship will also be interested to, nothing surer, he might have to take a hit on the wages but that's to be expected.

GailSpaceWynand

As I said I'm glad those in charge of football matters don't buy into public perception or look too much into how a player may not be performly well recently (for various reasons). Cheers.

GailSpaceWynand

Everybody bar Liverpool, Man City and ourselves(because that would be just too weird)in the Premier League would gladly stump up £20+m for Lingard, as would numerous highly regarded clubs on the Continent, Leeds United and whoever eventually comes up from the Championship will also be interested to, nothing surer, he might have to take a hit on the wages but that's to be expected.
It's 20 mil which is peanuts in today's market. People acting as if we are talking 100s.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think everyone got your point the first time you made it.

Bad player = small money

So why keep repeating it.
Clearly you didn't get it because you didn't read the whole thing. If bad player is equal with small money is the only point here, why would I mentioned Smalling in situation that AS Roma is hesitant to pay the fees? Yeah go look back and read the posts again, bet you won't.

GailSpaceWynand

You said you read the entire discussion and yet you are still referring to the Lukaku & Young situation despite of my explanation in the discussion that their situation are different to the ones that we have at the moment. Both Lukaku & Young were still performing for us compared to others, thus why it's not as difficult as the others to find club who wants to meet their valuation. Agree?

However, when you look at the likes of Lingard & Pereira who are considered as attacking midfield, they have been so incredibly under-performed with no end product to offer. The likes of Jones & Rojo are injury prone while Smalling is going to turn 31 years old. There is no reasonable reason for clubs especially the mid table & low table team to take a risk to meet the valuation (see below quote) at this stage.

Shall I remind you of what happened to Darmian? Even with Smalling performing well with Roma, they are still hesitant to meet our 20m valuation. You are speaking about clubs often look at the bigger picture, and yet I don't understand how yours & the poster's reason is so narrow.

You need to understand when spending such a money on players who are not performing, club will look at the chances of the players to recover their form or career and whether they can be worth the money for long term or selling them later on. Player like Memphis was regarded talented and at young age, Lukaku still managed to be our 2nd highest top scorer last season, while Young has such a small valuation that club has no issue to pay for it, clubs will be willing to take a risk to meet the exact or similar valuation. Never mind all of these, you also need to see what the covid 19 will impact financially on the club's transfer budget which makes them to think even twice to spend the money. Agree?

The likely chance to happen is that we need to lower the price than what their actual value, otherwise they are not interested to buy but only aim to go for loan deal to play safe and ensure whether the player is worthy. Lot of these clubs are smart enough to see that we need to sell the players, and they will take the advantage to bargain.

Comparison with Lukaku & Young situation are way off & expecting clubs will take a risk to pay such a money on players that majority are under-performed and some of them are in their 30s based on Transfermarkt & having Manchester United players in their CV show lack of the bigger picture in the discussion, on top of it the amount of business that are made in short period of time is strengthened my point that it becomes more unrealistic as we will expect club try to do negotiation to get lower price and it'll take time. Thus, I see no logic, you can agree & disagree though regarding being disrespectful but to me the poster's excuses/reasons are so narrow and he/she keep repeating the same thing in every post which pulled the trigger.

Let's agree to disagree. For me it seems natural that 20m is not a big ask for a player of the calibre of Lingard/Pereira. Not our level definitely but there are a lot of smaller clubs who wouldn't mind taking a punt.

I agree covid may change valuations.