We are 1 point(s) off 3rd

ruskyline

In fairness, and let's hope its not the case, 3 or 4 bad results could put us 6th, so yeah we are. Squeaky bum time.
Just imagine if all the people who got a 2nd mortgage on their house to place a bet on United to finish top 4. If we lose just 1 or 2 games, top 4 could be 100% done and dusted. I know a guy who was stupid enough to get a second mortgage so he could get. Idiots.

MartinRed

After Chelsea's last night fiasco it's up to us to get where we wanted to be our schedule is very comfortable we could be cemented on at least 4th spot even before Leicester game.

pacifictheme

Just imagine if all the people who got a 2nd mortgage on their house to place a bet on United to finish top 4. If we lose just 1 or 2 games, top 4 could be 100% done and dusted. I know a guy who was stupid enough to get a second mortgage so he could get. Idiots.
I don't really understand this post.

Red00012

1. Everton vs. Leicester (2-0)
2. Leicester vs. Crystal Palace (1-0)
3. Arsenal vs. Leicester (2-1)
4. Bournemouth vs. Leicester (0-3)
5. Leicester vs. Sheff Utd (1-0)
6. Tottenham vs. Leicester (2-1)
7. Leicester vs. Man Utd (0-2)

8. West Ham vs. Chelsea (3-2)
9. Chelsea vs. Watford (2-0)
10. Crystal Palace vs. Chelsea (1-3)
11. Sheff Utd vs. Chelsea (1-1)
12. Chelsea vs. Norwich (5-0)
13. Man Utd vs. Chelsea (FA CUP) (1-0)
14. Liverpool vs. Chelsea (2-0)
15. Chelsea vs. Wolves (2-3)
16. Bayern Munich vs. Chelsea (UCL) (1-3)

17. Wolves vs. Arsenal (2-1)
18. Sheff Utd vs. Wolves (1-3)
19. Wolves vs. Everton (2-0)
20. Burnley vs. Wolves (1-1)
21. Wolves vs. Crystal Palace (2-2)
22. Chelsea vs. Wolves (2-3)

23. Man Utd vs. Bournemouth (2-0)
24. Aston Villa vs. Man Utd (4-0)
25. Man Utd vs. Southampton(2-0)
26. Crystal Palace vs. Man Utd (0-3)
27. Man Utd vs. Chelsea (FA CUP) (1-0)
28. Man Utd vs. West Ham (3-2)
29. Leicester vs. Man Utd (0-2)
30. Man Utd vs. LASK (EL) (1-0)

I posted my predictions, check it out
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/match-prediction-rival-watch.455900/
We’re losing to Villa 4-0?? :houllier:

Pavl3n

Chelsea will finish 3rd and we'll finish 4th.
That's what I think too. Even if all 6 games are winnable, I don't exclude a slip somewhere. Chelsea have slipped last night, but they need to drop 3 or 4 points so we can overtake them. It willwas be hard.
But I'm sure we'll catch Leicester

Goal difference might matter. We have to keep smashing teams to bits.
Leicester beating Southampton by 9, doesn't help a lot. But if we carry on the way we are playing right now and Leicester keeps slipping then we might better their GD.

The Urban Goose

That a club of our standing is positively salivating at a fight for third place shows how far we've fallen under Ole. Whatever happens, he has to go.
or something

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That last game will be inconsequential. Pretty sure the top 4 would have been decided by then.

Roane

That a club of our standing is positively salivating at a fight for third place shows how far we've fallen under Ole. Whatever happens, he has to go.
or something
I know guys saying this and meaning it.

When you look at what he has done with regards to moving on players and bedding in new players etc 3rd would be genius

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
That last game will be inconsequential. Pretty sure the top 4 would have been decided by then.
I'm not so sure, for that to be the case Leicester would need to be at least 4 points short of us, so we would need to claw 7 points in 5 games, not impossible with their current form, but they are surely going to improve?!

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
i would have expected us against Leicester to be an important game at the end of the season but actually wolves and chelsea might be even more signifigant
If City are banned from Europe am I right in thinking that the top 8 teams (excluding city) will all qualify for europe?
4 CL places
1 EL place
1 FA cup - will be won by a club already qualified so goes to a league place
1 league cup - again won by somebody already qualified (but banned) so goes to a league place

Spurs currently in 8th but within 3 points of 8th goes all the way down to Newcastle in 13th

With at least 5 clubs still in real danger of relegation its going to be a pretty full on run in with virtually every game involving somebody looking at europe or relegation

Berbasbullet

i would have expected us against Leicester to be an important game at the end of the season but actually wolves and chelsea might be even more signifigant
If City are banned from Europe am I right in thinking that the top 8 teams (excluding city) will all qualify for europe?
4 CL places
1 EL place
1 FA cup - will be won by a club already qualified so goes to a league place
1 league cup - again won by somebody already qualified (but banned) so goes to a league place

Spurs currently in 8th but within 3 points of 8th goes all the way down to Newcastle in 13th

With at least 5 clubs still in real danger of relegation its going to be a pretty full on run in with virtually every game involving somebody looking at europe or relegation
Excellent point, and gives sides like Everton something to play for and hopefully nick points from our rivals.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
One thing we all need to consider is that ‘easy’ games often flip at this time of year. Chelsea losing to West Ham is a case in point. Teams down the bottom are desperate for points.
Yes, this is very true. The best run-in is against mid-table teams with nothing to play for.

Nickelodeon

Praying for no more injuries. Bruno and Pogba are crucial to what we've been doing. I hope we can do a Brighton and rest players by finishing games early. Our first XI can take anyone on.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Yes, this is very true. The best run-in is against mid-table teams with nothing to play for.
It is a good point but the team that needs the points the most right now Bournemouth don't even look capable of raising their game - I'd be surprised if they were within 2 goals of us.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
or something
You have to be taking the piss. I’d rather get rid of you.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
We certainly shouldn’t bank on Liverpool doing us a favour with Chelsea.
After watching them last night they could drop points in any game. As long as we do our job we should be getting 3rd.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Our run of fixtures in the middle of July:

13 Southampton home
15 Crystal Palace away
18 West Ham Home

19 Chelsea Fa cup semi final

Fa cup is a fixed date, one of the palace or West Ham games will be moved forward. If our challengers get points on the board we will be under enormous pressure.

Well finish 5th.

Just hope we win Europa:wenger:
Both of these games will be moved. The PL have only announced fixtures up until that weekend of the Southampton game where we've been moved to the Monday.

Palace will move to the Thursday I think, Chelsea on the Sunday and then West Ham on the 22nd

dal

Both of these games will be moved. The PL have only announced fixtures up until that weekend of the Southampton game where we've been moved to the Monday.

Palace will move to the Thursday I think, Chelsea on the Sunday and then West Ham on the 22nd
I think one of the games will be moved to the 16th unless there’s any other fixtures that impede this.

This top 4 race should be very exciting for the neutral however its nervous squeaky bum time for us. Ole needs this top 4 place.

A key factor here will be how Utd and Chelsea approach the FA Cup Semi-Final. It will be the most important game for both managers to date when considering the impact of their lineups, as I think the top 4 race will go to the wire. They’d both want a trophy however do they make a risk based assessment on the potential champions league places, where morale and fatigue will need to be finely balanced going into the final games.

RkkMan

13 Southampton home
15 Crystal Palace away
18 West Ham Home

Fa cup is a fixed date, one of the palace or West Ham games will be moved forward. If our challengers get points on the board we will be under enormous pressure.

Well finish 5th.

Our challengers have tougher fixtures than we do. Still think Chelsea finish ahead of us but with the form Leicester have been in since January and the fact that they still have Arsenal(who are on good form), Spurs and us on the last day is it really unrealistic to think we could finish 4th?? 3rd if we are lucky?
From this list Palace is the one game I think we drop points West Ham will be safe by the time we meet them at OT so I fancy us a lot and Southampton may be in good form but our quality and home advantage will give us the edge I think. The Chelsea game is a story for another day and I`m sue some of the fixtures will be moved anyway.

rotherham_red

13 Southampton home
15 Crystal Palace away
18 West Ham Home

Well finish 5th.

Palace will be moved to the 16th, and West Ham the 22nd, IMO.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm not so sure, for that to be the case Leicester would need to be at least 4 points short of us, so we would need to claw 7 points in 5 games, not impossible with their current form, but they are surely going to improve?!
I genuinely don't think that as improbable as it sounded a few GWs ago. Leicester have a horrible run in.
Considering it's going to be top 8 who qualify for Europe next season, Palace have a decent chance of finishing in those places, SHU while in disappointing form are also in the hunt. I would expect them to beat Bournemouth, even though they are fighting for survival and they are also facing Arsenal and Spurs in this time.
Now coming to our fixtures, we face Villa and Bournemouth - two teams fighting for survival but haven't shown enough positives since the restart. Southampton would have nothing to play for. Palace might be a tricky fixture if they stand a chance of finishing in top 8 by GW36 and you would expect WHU's fate decided by the time we face them

Siorac

For fecks sake! Pogba has been out for most of the season and Rashford had a lengthy injury spell as well. Up until Bruno's arrival, I think that at least one out of Pereira and Lingard started more or less every game. A fully fit team could maybe expect to get 3rd/4th, but this team minus Pogba, Bruno, Ighalo and Rashford(for a longer period) isn't even top 6.

Truth be told, Solskjær has done really well to not be much further down the table.
Lengthy in time, perhaps, but he started 25 out of 32 Premier League games so he didn't actually miss that much.

freeurmind

weak willed
Don't we already have a top 4 race thread? This thread is a bit embarrassing tbh. We're happy the team is doing well but we're still miles behind where we should be.

Berbasbullet

I genuinely don't think that as improbable as it sounded a few GWs ago. Leicester have a horrible run in.
Considering it's going to be top 8 who qualify for Europe next season, Palace have a decent chance of finishing in those places, SHU while in disappointing form are also in the hunt. I would expect them to beat Bournemouth, even though they are fighting for survival and they are also facing Arsenal and Spurs in this time.
Now coming to our fixtures, we face Villa and Bournemouth - two teams fighting for survival but haven't shown enough positives since the restart. Southampton would have nothing to play for. Palace might be a tricky fixture if they stand a chance of finishing in top 8 by GW36 and you would expect WHU's fate decided by the time we face them
I agree it is possible, but there will be banana skins for us too, as we saw last night predicting these things rarely goes as how things look on paper.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Don't we already have a top 4 race thread? This thread is a bit embarrassing tbh. We're happy the team is doing well but we're still miles behind where we should be.
Looks for white text...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The beauty of having the momentum right now is the games coming so quickly.
Unlike other seasons, where you get to stew on it for ages, we've cut the gap, then quickly into a game on Saturday.

OleBoiii

Lengthy in time, perhaps, but he started 25 out of 32 Premier League games so he didn't actually miss that much.
7 games(so far) is almost 2 out of 9 months. That's lengthy, imo.

The bottom line is that we've spent the majority of the season with a severely weakened team. Ole isn't given enough credit for how we've managed to stay in the battle for 4th(or even 3rd).

cyberman

I agree it is possible, but there will be banana skins for us too, as we saw last night predicting these things rarely goes as how things look on paper.
Why will they be? We are 15 games unbeaten. Thats not certain at all.
The posters who were shouted down on here when they claimed we would become an attacking force when Pogba and Rashford came back are being proven correct.
We are better than Chelsea and Leicester. We still have easier games then them left and the odds of them slipping up more than we would is still favourable.
Theres a lot of posters claiming we wouldn't get top 4 who are now saying wait and see, eveybody slips up so how can you say etc etc
Its really weird. It seems predictions are only justified when we are on the wrong end of them.

sparx99

Yeah but Bournemouth and Villa are crap tbh.
Oh, we should definitely be winning all of our games to the end of the season. I’m just wary of expectations!

Let’s hope the players are focused. They must be excited at the possibility of 3rd place.

Berbasbullet

Why will they be? We are 15 games unbeaten. Thats not certain at all.
The posters who were shouted down on here when they claimed we would become an attacking force when Pogba and Rashford came back are being proven correct.
We are better than Chelsea and Leicester. We still have easier games then them left and the odds of them slipping up more than we would is still favourable.
Theres a lot of posters claiming we wouldn't get top 4 who are now saying wait and see, eveybody slips up so how can you say etc etc
Its really weird. It seems predictions are only justified when we are on the wrong end of them.
I literally said it was possible, I hope you're right, but I'm just being cautious, better than getting ahead of ourselves in my opinion. We've seen too many false Dawn's in the last few years. :lol:

The point I was making is that a 7 point swing in 5 games is quite significant. Leicester need 2 wins and 3 draws/ 3 wins in the next 5 to guarantee a final day showdown I believe. I might be wrong there though weak at maths.

Last edited: