We are 4th. Edit: Top of the League!

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Ffs. We’re now making threads for being 4th after 12 games. @mods.. sort it out before non United fans spot it.
Not about being in the top for but showing people there's still lots to play for despite some bad results

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
No I am just curious. We were laughing at Arsenal when they celebrated finishing 4th and now we have these threads called "We are 4th", as if it is some sort of achievement worth celebrating for after 10 games.
You don't get the point of context do you? We were Premier League kings back then.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
People are opening threads to appreciate how Imelda Marcos loved sneakers. Why I can’t post an appreciation thread for the team who delivered an envious league position after all that shit they got from media and the fans? Every moaner was pointing at the table when we were 14th. Every other post mid-October was about the team position.

You do you man. This forum is disgustingly suffocating at this point. No wonder, I'd rather spend my time on rl/reddevils. People are insane here. They don't watch other teams, all their football knowledge is out of Twitter and not actually watching the games, because if it were not the case, some of the opinions floating around wouldn't be here.
Case in point: Bruno and his pass completion rate. If supporters here watched other teams, they'd know it's a fairly common thing among CAMs.

pacifictheme

We're three points off top but two off 10th. It's a weird league and we have city next. Lose it and we could be 8th again.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
While our league position is encouraging at the moment, I would have waited till after the City game before posting. If we’re still 4th or thereabouts after that game, it’s a positive sign but still not one worth celebrating this early into the season.

flappyjay

Some people hate graduall progress, you can't always go 0-100. Last season after around 10 games we were discussing the possibility of relegation.

sokol11

Current league table doesn't mean anything. Yesterday's game we were so bad it was shocking to see. McT nonexistent distribution why was he needed on the field when West Ham was sitting back majority of the game? Slow build up negating VDB qualities (there were only a few moments of quick passes with Greenwood and Telles) he also needs to get on the ball more, request it, Pogba strolling around aimlesly. Martial being Martial. In my dreams I hope Martial and Pogba don't play a single minute anymore for United that's how low I think of them. We didn't start playing yesterday until the AM or waste of space was substituted. Needed a hopeless punt forward from Henderson and moments of quality from Bruno and Pogba to get us going and a great piece of skill from Greenwood to come in front. Rashford again not clinical enough. That wasted chance when he hit the post could have costed us on another occasion. I don't know what the solution is. Such shit of a first half and all up until the first goal we were unbelievably shite.

Threesus

This thread is embarrassing. We used to take the mick out of Arsene Wenger and Arsenal for that. Let's take each game as it is and see what happens. And with our home form, I have no confidence going into the next Manchester derby. It's anyone's league right now.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
That's great man. We (Feyenoord) are also 4th. We're unhappy though since we'd like to be 3rd at worst.

Not sure Feyenoord should be more ambitious than United.

Andy_Cole

This thread is embarrassing. We used to take the mick out of Arsene Wenger and Arsenal for that. Let's take each game as it is and see what happens. And with our home form, I have no confidence going into the next Manchester derby. It's anyone's league right now.
The title is embarrassing but the sentiment isn’t. Considering ole was on the brink at one point, 2 points off the top is remarkable. If we’re up the by April then anything could happen.

UmbroDays

* edit quoted the wrong person

As someone said, were up against City next in a game we can easily lose and nd up in 8th.

This is a see-saw league and no team can really be jubilant in any position they’re in until they’re in a consistent and dominant position.

OrcaFat

I don't see anyone jumping around about being 4th. I don't see posters getting the bunting out or suggesting it's worthy of celebration.

The simple point is that things aren't as bad as the naysayers are making out. The world isn't ending, we're not "embarrassing" or a "disgrace". We're doing ok, and despite a slow start to the season, we're still within touching distance of the top of the table.
Exactly right. All these posters throwing their arms up have missed the point entirely. The thread could have been called “calm the feck down, we are in the mix” but even that wouldn’t get through to some posters.

Mo Caine

Supports
United from 1977 until 2007
the one thing wrong with the title of this thread is, it hasn't been completed, it should read ''We are 4th, {and yet people believe the quality of the league hasn't regressed}

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
There's nothing embarrassing about this thread. It's not celebrating being 4th. It's just pointing out that the ridiculously over-the-top criticism is just that - ridiculously over-the-top. People go on as if we're in relegation danger and that there's been nothing but negatives this season. Those are the kinds of posts and threads that are embarrassing, and it's the constant posts like that that make it more and more annoying to come on here.

There are fair criticisms and obviously not everything is fantastic, but going overboard about it is no different than somebody pretending that everything is going amazing. Hard to take seriously and tiring.

Longshanks

League position is fairly irrelevant especially considering everyone is tightly bunched together, the positive is we are 2 points of the top and very much in the race for the title.

The first half today was a disgrace, and rightly so Ole and the players deserve criticising for it, there was no intensity, no tempo and we were given the ball away for fun constantly inviting pressure on ourselves, very lucky not to be more than 1 down.

If it was a one off than I think it could be shrugged off, but it isn't we have seen that kind of performance a little too much for my liking and it's the reason some posters aren't convinced by Ole.

Credit where credits due second week on the bounce we have come from behind to win in a tricky away game, and the second half performance was a vast improvement also not a one off and the reason why some posters are convinced by Ole.

The truth is in the middle, we need more consistent performances like the second half and less of the first half performances, we are on a knife edge at the moment where the is plenty of encouragement to believe we could kick on and also plenty of discouragement to make us believe we could fall away.

thepolice123

Our next six games are:

City
Sheffield
Leeds
Leicester
Wolves
Villa

Honestly, too early for threads like that. We could easily be at the bottom half at the start of 2021.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
4th before half of the game week has been completed maybe.

It's a lot better than seeing ourselves miles down, but plenty of work ahead.

Get through midweek still in the cup and beat City next week and maybe we're talking.

Threads like this clearly cause more friction, just as the Ole masterclass thread did.

We are two points off top yes, but also two points off 10th, and a defeat next week will have people instantly responding to this thread with threads like “we are eighth, enjoy mid table feckos”.

I wish people on both sides of the argument would some times just shut the feck up for awhile or at least try to find some middle ground. Instead it’s just constant bickering and point scoring.
Right now, we’re doing better in the league and it should be a calm period of reflection. Instead the Ole sacked thread was mental yesterday and then shit like this shows up to balance it all out. It’s nauseating.

Last edited:

georgipep

The funny thing is that in the «predict top 6«- thread not a lot have us top 3, and the ones whining the most about appreciating the current league position are the ones predicting us outside top 6. Double standards!

I don’t think any Man United fans are happy with being «just» top 4 in the long run, but if you were expecting us to top the league after last season and this summers transfer window, you do not have a close relationship with reality.
If you are complaining on the league position now, after predicting us outside top 4, you do have an agenda and should take a serious look in the mirror. Maybe you need to ask yourself: Are you supporting the right club and are you doing it right?

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/predict-the-top-6-20-21-in-order.456505/page-3#post-26020837
They want Ole gone thus expected us outside of top 6. It won't matter what position we are because their primary position is to want Ole gone, regardless of what's actually happening and how the team is faring.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Remember when a few weeks ago, we were 15th and a lot of posters were pointing that out, and why Ole needs to be sacked? Now the same posters are coming back and saying that league position does not matter at this stage of the season

4th before half of the game week has been completed maybe.

It's a lot better than seeing ourselves miles down, but plenty of work ahead.

Get through midweek still in the cup and beat City next week and maybe we're talking.
Poorly framed post - you realise all those other games means that those teams will have played a game more than United?

after today. Chelsea, Spurs, Leicester and Liverpool will all of played a game more.

actually at full time yesterday, and before the Chelsea game, most teams had played the same number of games and so the statement from the OP is valid.

They want Ole gone thus expected us outside of top 6. It won't matter what position we are because their primary position is to want Ole gone, regardless of what's actually happening and how the team is faring.
so true, and so disappointing.

Remember when a few weeks ago, we were 15th and a lot of posters were pointing that out, and why Ole needs to be sacked? Now the same posters are coming back and saying that league position does not matter at this stage of the season
Of course! Are these the same posters who are criticising Ole because we scored good individual goals yesterday! :lol:

Jonno

Change the title of the OP to “We’re 2 points off top” (as of last night) and people would be a bit more accepting

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I agree. It's a little pathetic how some treat the top 4 as if it's the holy grail.

The whole "see it's not that bad" line of argument is weak when we should be aiming for greatness not passable.

cyberman

Our next six games are:

City
Sheffield
Leeds
Leicester
Wolves
Villa

Honestly, too early for threads like that. We could easily be at the bottom half at the start of 2021.
Apart from City, even then Ole seems to have figured Pep out, all of those are more than winnable?

cyberman

I agree. It's a little pathetic how some treat the top 4 as if it's the holy grail.

The whole "see it's not that bad" line of argument is weak when we should be aiming for greatness not passable.
Thats ignoring all context and perspective though

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Apart from City, even then Ole seems to have figured Pep out, all of those are more than winnable?
Not at home it seems, we have already lost 3 in the league

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Poorly framed post - you realise all those other games means that those teams will have played a game more than United?

after today. Chelsea, Spurs, Leicester and Liverpool will all of played a game more.

actually at full time yesterday, and before the Chelsea game, most teams had played the same number of games and so the statement from the OP is valid.
Yes but we've had a game in hand all season.
The post is about being 4th. Which after all gameweek fixtures we won't be.
We'll be xxx points off, which we have been for a while.

Still...progress is progress.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
People are embarrassed about this thread, but not at all about the one where there's 35000 posts about sacking the manager.

cyberman

Not at home it seems, we have already lost 3 in the league
If you look at our league fixtures at home, they werent the easiest.
Not saying we should have lost 3 but 2 of those losses came in the fabled first 3 games with all of the rest debate that comes with it.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Being 4th deserves a thread these days? Bloody hell, even Arsenal fans wouldn't do it.
I don't know do City and Pool fans have "Lets all laugh to Man Utd" thread but if they do, this thread will be gold for them. We just gave them ultimate banter on a silver platter.

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If you look at our league fixtures at home, they werent the easiest.
Not saying we should have lost 3 but 2 of those losses came in the fabled first 3 games with all of the rest debate that comes with it.
Arsenal are 14th

Gasolin

Arsenal are 14th
Think this is meaningless for now. In Jan, it will be more obvious. I do think the gap with Arsenal will be larger, while United should be up there, to the desperation and frustration of many who are not pleased with the manager, but whatever...

ThinkTank@Cafe

Being 4th deserves a thread these days? Bloody hell, even Arsenal fans wouldn't do it.
I don't know do City and Pool fans have "Lets all laugh to Man Utd" thread but if they do, this thread will be gold for them. We just gave them ultimate banter on a silver platter.
Yeah, agree. They will also choose your post to highlight how miserable United became.

Josh 76

The thread should have been "2 points off top" (That's before Chelsea played an extra game).