We are an awfully coached team

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Training is nice and all... I'm just afraid during actual matches it'll be the same shit all over again. Fred giving the ball away, Maguire panicking, De Gea kicking it out for a throw in. I have nightmares about those.
Then those players will need to be dropped and / or replaced with players who are capable of performing ten Hags instructions.

That’s what backing a manager is.

It isn’t just buying who he wants - it’s supporting him when shit gets going IN a season.

This is what Utd keep failing to do, and it’s something that many (not all) Utd fans seem to miss when talking of ‘backing the manager’.

It’s why the club keeps changing managers and has built a toxic dressing room, imo at least.

Ralph1386

Logic would say some will improve some will suffer. I think Sancho will do well anyway.
Yeah that’s pretty much it. Some players will be able to adapt to this new style and others won’t and will hopefully be phased out with time.

Tavern in the town

It’s the first time we’ve appointed a coach with a track record of executing modern tactical ideas. Bet it’s something of a culture shock to the players.

Ralph1386

Then those players will need to be dropped and / or replaced with players who are capable of performing ten Hags instructions.

It isn’t just buying who he wants - it’s supporting him when shit gets going IN a season.

This is what Utd keep failing to do, and it’s something that many (not all) Utd fans seem to miss when talking of ‘backing the manager’.

It’s why the club keeps changing managers and has built a toxic dressing room, imo at least.
Agree.

Red For Ever

Realistically I expect us to start well in terms of team spirit, effort and trying to play better football.
Results in most cases will follow

but I do think players not used to a higher intensity, will struggle later the season
will it eventually play off.

Red Royal

Hopefully this thread can be closed, locked archived and banished to the history books.
Looking forward to the change next year. There will be a lot of downs but long term I am positive

Maticmaker

Training is nice and all... I'm just afraid during actual matches it'll be the same shit all over again. Fred giving the ball away, Maguire panicking, De Gea kicking it out for a throw in. I have nightmares about those.
Agreed if ETH can get rid of those three 'misteps' alone, he will have hit the ground running for me!

HookedOnAPhelan

I don't think this is true. There's no use backing a manager if he's past it (LvG, Mourinho) or out of his depth (Moyes, Ole). With the exception of Moyes (who was clearly never good enough anyway) all of those guys got plenty of time, and I'd say both our fans (at least our match-going ones) and our board were far more patient with them than supporters of most other big clubs would've been, and by the time they were sacked it was painfully obvious it wasn't going to work out.

Our issue since SAF hasn't been not backing managers. It has been completely scattershot recruitment (of both managers and players). Hopefully that will change now.

Keefy18

I don't think this is true. There's no use backing a manager if he's past it (LvG, Mourinho) or out of his depth (Moyes, Ole). With the exception of Moyes (who was clearly never good enough anyway) all of those guys got plenty of time, and I'd say both our fans (at least our match-going ones) and our board were far more patient with them than supporters of most other big clubs would've been, and by the time they were sacked it was painfully obvious it wasn't going to work out.
They got time and money sure, but because we've invested so poorly and then confounded that problem with another (rewarding the poor players for under achieving) we are in a situation where we've still got players like Jones, Bailly, Shaw, McTominay, Martial etc hanging around.

A manager needs actual alternatives if he is going to drop a player... if Shaw under performs he's replaced by an equally or worse player in Telles. McFred had their spots threatened by an ageing Matic.

dubplate warrior

I suspect the deficiencies of some players will be amplified, a result of the regular lionisation of players for their physical, rather than their technical attributes. Enjoy the ride folks! Its going to be a bumpy first year.

Reynoldo

Hell - it would be nice to enjoy watching us again!
That is all I am looking for, well that and to be able to come onto the Caf to a thread titled - We are a beautifully coached team, so we can all partake in the circle jerk of our glorious football

Keefy18

I don't care for the media's opinion on the matter. Its as changeable as the wind. The proof will be on our last 2 pre season games if we are indeed making progress
Why specifically the last 2?

We could play well against Pool (unlikely) then poor in those 2 games you mention.

I'm expecting fits and bursts of form which is completely synonymous with our lot, playing when it suits and vanishing the minute they are put under any pressure.

lex talionis

I'm not a "close thread" kinda guy, but could we at least rename this thread for a while?

There's no doubt that United were a poorly, maybe even awfully, managed side under Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho and Ole, but we have a new manager who most of us wanted to see appointed.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Give EtH time, some new players, and we will come good. Those players who cant or wont perform, will be shipped out

We need an rvn

That is all I am looking for, well that and to be able to come onto the Caf to a thread titled - We are a beautifully coached team, so we can all partake in the circle jerk of our glorious football
Moyes, Mou and Van Gaal were all good coaches in their own right but for some reason, be it too close to the Fergie era and the squad needing too much of a revamp with Wood"shite"ward in charge, it just didn't work out.

With the new CEO etc in charge and employing ETH, who is a brilliant hands on coach, I honestly think this is the new dawn for us. I think he'll need a few windows to get rid of the players that aren't good enough / can't play to the level he needs, but once that is in place we will see us fighting for the league etc. But not this season. This season is CL quali and getting the players like Sancho / Fernandez etc used to the way he wants the forwards to press, aggressive in defence etc

Chief123

ETH will coach them better.

I worry about the 3rd game of the season against Liverpool coming too soon though. If we take a spanking, that would really be a pressure start to his reign.

SirAnderson

Can we have a different thread to discuss tactics improving.
Seeing this thread bumped is giving me nightmares and opening painful wounds.

I hope to never ever see this thread bumped throughout ETHs time with us.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

I worry about the 3rd game of the season against Liverpool coming too soon though. If we take a spanking, that would really be a pressure start to his reign.
Does not matter. It is so early, no one expects a win and if we do so, only positive

OrcaFat

I agree with this 100%.

We had people above the managers who looked at what was happening to the team and squad and decided they knew better than the managers and interfered.

Backing the manager has to be all or nothing, the moment the board thinks they know better than the manager they should sack him immediately, otherwise it’s death by a thousand cuts and the whole club is affected.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I suspect the deficiencies of some players will be amplified, a result of the regular lionisation of players for their physical, rather than their technical attributes. Enjoy the ride folks! Its going to be a bumpy first year.
A proper modern effective style of football bedded in with obvious signs of progress, then slowly picking the right players for that system.
That's all we want.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

If anything it would be a surprise to Pool. They just don't know what to expect.

Keefy18

. Because the team will be close to full fitness and then we will see clearly if they can attempt to consistently perform the manager's style of football on any basis.
Don't think it'll be that soon or specific at all.

There will be fits and bursts of form here n there. That's what this lot have done with every manager and regardless of that it takes time for any manager to roll out some kind of consistency.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
That's how I see things.
This is the reason why I believe most players need to be replaced, however, ETH will be told to make do with the existing players (who are proven to be failures) with a few additions.
Remember, there is no guarantee that the new additions will work out, so in an ideal world, we'd need to bring in 5 players every season, with the hope that 2 of those players work out. If we can achieve that success rate, in 3 years we'd have 6 great outfield players. Add another 2 youth players to that, that'll be 8 new successful players in 3 years.....which will set us up well.

The issue though is that we won't be buying 5 players and we'll hang on to the deadwood, like our lives depend upon it. ETH will have to make do with players who are crap and he'll get fired when the team fails. The deadwood players, will remain, which will cause problems for the next manager. And so on....

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Don't think it'll be that soon or specific at all.

There will be fits and bursts of form here n there. That's what this lot have done with every manager and regardless of that it takes time for any manager to roll out some kind of consistency.
I'm not talking consistency of performance though. I'm referring to consistency of playing idea. Till this lot are match fit we won't know if they can reproduce what Ten hag trains them at all.