We are an awfully coached team

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I can understand this, however the old adage comes to mind of 'if you don't shoot, you don't score'.

When you factor in the amount of goals we have scored so far this season I'd say that the policy seems to be working more often than not.

But I can get how it can be frustrating, and yes it may highlight some limitations in our play, but I don't feel it demonstrates lack of coaching ability.
My main gripe with Ole is we're way too predictable in our play. If the opposing team is out of position we can tear any team apart which I suppose is coaching in itself but teams have known for the last couple of seasons if they sit back it's very hard for us to break through. Whats more worrying is particularly against Villa and even Wolves they didn't sit back, came at us and we still looked lost in attack reverting to shooting at the slightest sight of goal. I think we've had 54 shots at goal in the last 2 matches with something like 8 on target which to me shows it isn't working.

We have way too good a squad to revert to these tactics. A couple of seasons ago if we had Lingard and Pereira playing I could understand to a certain extent but with the calibre of player we have now we should be cutting teams apart which would probably be made easier if we got away from the 4-2-3-1 Ole seems to favour but somehow I don't think that's an option.

JoaquinJoaquin

1. We do have a method of playing. Obviously.
2. It's hard to tell what we "look like " to you, but at least we are not by most measures particularly vulnerable at the back. That of course is by measures such as how many goals we actually allow and xGA.
3. We create more good scoring chances than almost all other teams. Again on the basis of real things like goals scored, xG etc.
4. We can obviously play football, given that we were the second best team in the PL last season and is currently 4th.
5. All of this would suggest that we have a certain ability to "impose ourselves".
6. All of this would also heavily suggest that it's self-evidently absurd to state that "more often than not teams outplay us".
7. As you have apparently also seen "Wolves, Southampton, Aston Villa, West Ham outplay us", this all leads towards the same conclusion, which is that the problem here is probably your vision.
All of this post would 'suggest' is you have no clue what you are talking about, with the upmost respect.

It isn't obvious what our method of play is. We still play with no virtually no style.
Throwing things like xGA and XG around is just meaningless, when the eye test shows we are overall poorly coached, rely on individual brilliance to win games, look pretty shaky at the back and can be beaten by anyone. Aside from Leeds (which was more of an anomaly) we have never imposed ourselves and truly dominated 2-3 games in a row for years now, so saying things like 'suggest' is just a load of rubbish backed up with absolutely no proof.

DarkDog

Solskjaer has proven that he has the ability when the pressure is at it's highest to get great wins. Last losses are not down to him. Club didn't get him def mid. You can buy all the talent in the world, but if Fred and McTominay kick 5 meter easy passes to the public you cant win games. those are free possessions given to opposition team.
Sadly Matic cannot play 55 games anymore. and either Fred or McTominay aren't good enough to defend on their own. So we are basically playing 10 vs 11 every game.
Biggest mistakes that Solskjaer makes.
Is too sensitive of players feelings. Varane should have played in the first game against Southampton, but he gave start to Lindelof, although everybody and their mom knew that Varane will kick Lindelof out of the team.
Started rotating in Champions League. Took out Greenwood who was probably best player at that time and moved Pogba back to left winger. Just go with the team that smashed Newcastle. Or make 1 change. But CL is not the place to rotate. secure advantage and then rotate in the last game if u want.
In cup game vs West Ham, i understand rotating, but Mata is not the player for the first team anymore. Again, we played 1 player less than opposition. Those were the minutes you could have given to someone who needs minutes.
vs Aston Villa he goes with Pogba LW, MCFred in the middle kicking balls to opposition
I started out defending Solskjaer, but God damn, he is braindead isn't he?

justsomebloke

All of this post would 'suggest' is you have no clue what you are talking about, with the upmost respect.

It isn't obvious what our method of play is. We still play with no virtually no style.
Throwing things like xGA and XG around is just meaningless, when the eye test shows we are overall poorly coached, rely on individual brilliance to win games, look pretty shaky at the back and can be beaten by anyone. Aside from Leeds (which was more of an anomaly) we have never imposed ourselves and truly dominated 2-3 games in a row for years now, so saying things like 'suggest' is just a load of rubbish backed up with absolutely no proof.
With the utmost respect, read the post I was responding to.

And while you're at it, look up our actual record to check the accuracy of your statement that "we can be beaten by anybody". And also whether that record corresponds to the sort of team being described in that post. Basic reality check. That is, if someone who thinks his own eye test is knowledge while xGA and xG are meaningless is really interested in that sort of thing,

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Important context in a six game comparison like that are the fixtures.

Us: Leeds, Southampton, Wolves, Newcastle, West Ham, Villa.

Chelsea: Palace, Arsenal, Liverpool, Villa, Spurs, City.

And they were down to 10 men for a large chunk of the Liverpool game.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I don't know about that. Under SAF lesser teams played the entire game in their box at Old trafford. The one exception was the final season or two where he employed some really defensive tactics in the league but asided that many younger fans didn't even know what it was like to have a worse team have a go at us till Moyes came along and wrecked the fear factor. Having a go at us became a common phrase that season. The norm before that among lower to midtable teams was to park the bus when playing us.
I don't think this was always true though. I distinctly remember getting pissy about us having less possession than Southampton at OT under Fergie in a game that we won because I was complaining to a mate about our centre midfield options (what I'd give for Cleverley and Anderson now) and how lucky we were to win the game.

Then LVG came, with his talk on possession and controlling it and man did I have a rude awakening once I saw how pointless it was to have possession without actually doing anything with it.

wolvored

Based on the last game and a bit, one thing I hope our coaches do immediately is get our players to stop taking stupid shots from distance instead of being patient actually building to high quality chances.

The amount of good chances we've had relative to the volume of shots we've taken over the last game and a half is poor.
It's more to do with the poor midfield why we take shots the attack know most of the time if it's passed back to Fred he will look to passing it backwards or sideways a bad pass or lose the ball generally. therefore losing the imputus

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Just happened to watch highlights of our 94 FA Cup win away to Wimbledon. Some of the tackles by Jones , Fashanu & Co would land you in court these days.Clearly they st out to kick and intimidate us off the pitch.
What do our guys do? Roll around crying looking for sympathy? Not a bit of it.
They got on with the job, demolished the Dirty Dons 3-0 and took the piss playing keep ball for the last 10 minutes.
When we were Kings came to mind.
How we could do with the likes of Bruce , Pally, Irwin, Ince ( yes him) Keane, Hughes & King Eric these days!

croadyman

I just want to see us play some quality coached football whilst we still have Ronny & Edi, is that really too much to ask

dutchred

Are we awfully coached at all levels? Looking at our youth team v Villareal we have some talent but absolutely no organisation

Yagami

Good post resistant
Again, even if we go on to win, this isn’t good enough. Another absolute waste of a season.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Our players can't move the ball to our attackers enough. It's essentially a one man midfield and that one man is not available for passes.

SAFMUTD

It's getting harder and harder to defend Ole and the coaching staff, another awful performance. How can we look so awful when we have so much talent in the squad?

This is clearly not about the players, coaching is drowning us.

LARulz

I don't know how they (and every other team we play) can cut through us so consistently and easily

We need some actual coaching. What the hell do our manager and coaches actually do on the training pitch?

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I am not sure how a manger picks Fred & Mctominay together against Aston Villa and then 3 days later in the Cl with Maguire & Shaw out plays Mctominay alone there. Is there any sort of real game plan with this team ?

izec

We are obviously coached, wait til someone posts a video from training with us doing some useless passing drills.

Ole is out of his depth. He probably still thinks we are great in possession.

Mike Smalling

I don't think I have ever been more Ole out. We are so clearly lacking any form of tactical game plan at the moment. It's an embarrassment.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Things are just not falling for us, players are panicked and under pressure. The amount of times I’ve read coaching or coached in this thread is amazing

Manncunian

Not getting out of this group should be a sackable offence.

You’ve got to be blind not to see the limitations of the manager. We are always so poor in the UCL. There’s no excuse this season.

Shark

@NotShark
We are fecking wasting this team. Flushing it down the drain in a season we should be blowing teams away. We play like a bunch of hopefuls, absolutely zero structure.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
This has been apparent since his first few games after being given the permanent position. We were shit then, we are shit now.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Things are just not falling for us, players are panicked and under pressure. The amount of times I’ve read coaching or coached in this thread is amazing
Ah yes, just one of those days. Funny how frequently "those days" tend to happen.

NewYorkRed

Again, don’t care about the result. We literally look clueless out there. That is solely on the coach. We could win this 4-0 and I would still be worried.

SeanyC

Can’t string a pass together, the backs are the equivalent of the Mexican and USA wall…more leaks that the Iraqi navy. Horrible to watch. Sancho is the only one alive out there. Ole get your S*** together or get packing

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
It’s always damning whenever we come up against inferior-yet-superior-drilled outfits (Villarreal under Emery, West Ham under Moyes, Brighton under Potter, Southampton under Hasenhuttl etc.) and witness the sheer gulf in coaching.

The difference in organisation, technique and invention between both sets of players is simply incredible yet this forum is littered with posters burying their heads in the sand regarding the issue whilst having the temerity to label those of us who are well past patient with our stubborn Solskjaer romanticism as being ‘plastic’. What on Earth are these posters witnessing that the rest of us simpletons cannot see? I am genuinely curious and would love to be enlightened as I, for one, think we are severely underachieving and wasting valuable time with a squad that should be challenging and dominating NOW.