We are an awfully coached team

Thiagoal

Comparing us to say Liverpool is quite a stark contrast! We are so clueless I almost feel sorry for the players

PoTMS

Man, Poch preformed the exact same in his final days at Spurs and in the previous season at times.
And so too did Mourinho at Chelsea/United before getting the boot. You still hired him and look at how that's worked out for you so far.

wolvored

We got a novice at this level manager. An ex player who has never coached before and an under 18 coach coaching the first team. Says it all really.

We could have maybe carried and improved McKenna if we had a top manager and top coach by his side. Pep and Klopp would have probably had made McKenna a top coach now. Carrick would have been a lot better as well.

I even think if Ole just had an hand in getting in players, picked the side and had 2 experienced coaches to implement the training, game tactics and 1 coached from the touchlines during matches we would have been an hell of a lot better.

spiriticon

Only LvG has done any sort of notable work on our team in the last 7 years, and even then it wasn't that great

drmuji

I really would like to hear what he has to say post match. I mean, if he smiles one more time in the presser, I would like to punch him

AaronRedDevil

Feels like we need to gut the team again. Get a right wing and a completely new midfield.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Since you know so much about the team, asides the obvious Pogba can you name the players with these attitude issue and the ones who are coasting and not trying
Maguire clearly has some mental block, Mata and Matic are too slow depending on the opposition, Wan Bisaaka has massive brain farts, Rashfords form is all over the shop.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Man, Poch preformed the exact same in his final days at Spurs and in the previous season at times.
Question is - did he improve you guys initially? Did you guys get a pressing pattern consistently? Did you know how to play from back ?

monosierra

We have excellent and smart players who could get on the same page and deliver scintillating football under the right conditions. Great coaching enables the same players to deliver high quality performances under more conditions. Our squad is excellent but the player development / coaching outside the strikers is lacking.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Literally just messaged the same to my United supporting friends.
After two and half years of Ole (I don't actually know how long, it's all a bit of a blur) - we have no style of play and no actual identity. We're just a cohort of players who happen to play football together it feels.

I love Ole, but this experiment will not have a happy ending. We're just prolonging the inevitable. He's taken us as far as he can.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
So do we beat psg etc running on adrenaline? Because against other teams, like tonight it almost looks like there is no plan other than sticking 11 players on the pitch.

frustrating

Idxomer

I'm not backing Ole, i'm telling you how it is, your quite happy to give players paid probably the highest in the league a fecking pass.
Except at United, the manager gets more backing from the fans than the players.

Falcow

Well our previous two coaches were meant to be two of the very best at coaching. Look how that worked out.

Judas

Open to offers
We're still styleless, with no identity and no clear plan, except counter attack. That's it. If you can't work out a more functioning and intelligent way to play football with these players, you shouldn't be managing Manchester United.

Players keeping joining this team and looking worse shortly after.

wolvored

The team plays with no fluidity or purpose. Counter attack is the only way Ole know how to set up because it relies on individual qualities rather than a well coached team. If a team sits back or presses United then the plan goes to shit. Ole's record against the top 6 is so good because they tend to set out to attack, which can then be countered with a counter attack style of play. Ole has done more good than bad during his tenure but he's taken the team as far as he can. The only problem is that Poch will be the main contender and I'm not fully confident he's the right man either. Marco Rose is the guy but he's not leaving Monchengladbach. At least we have a decent squad which the next coach can work with.
I would even consider the saints gaffer hasenhuttl. Look how he has brought them on leaps and bounds since they got hammered by Leicester.

Gazza

And so too did Mourinho at Chelsea/United before getting the boot. You still hired him and look at how that's worked out for you so far.
Right. Let’s discount his five years at Spurs and focus on ‘the final days’. So bizarre.

Not sure how anyone can argue that we are not being coached properly at this point - we are regularly getting outplayed by and losing points to teams that consist of lesser talented players than ours. That is like the definition of a coaching failure. There might be other factors involved and the “downing tools” concept is not one I can stomach easily myself, but it is a fact of modern football that players need to believe in the project if they are to be fully engaged and committed, so it becomes Ole’s responsibility

bond19821982

At the start yes, did Ole not do the same at the start for you?
At the start- by that if you mean first 3 years, which is more than you can ask from any managerial appointment.

With Ole, we got wins and points but never had a plan, style or pattern.

Idxomer

So do we beat psg etc running on adrenaline? Because against other teams, like tonight it almost looks like there is no plan other than sticking 11 players on the pitch.

frustrating
We match up well against teams like PSG and they had their best midfielder out, it had nothing to do with adrenaline.

If they played more reserved, we would've lost.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If diamond was the plan then we would have started the season like this with or without a preseason.

Ole changing from 4231, 352 and 442 diamond makes me think he changes after game and isnt going to get the best out of the players because they haven't exactly learnt or been coached in to their best positions consistently.

Greck

Maguire clearly has some mental block, Mata and Matic are too slow depending on the opposition, Wan Bisaaka has massive brain farts, Rashfords form is all over the shop.
What does their top speed have to do with their effort?

bond19821982

I would even consider the saints gaffer hasenhuttl. Look how he has brought them on leaps and bounds since they got hammered by Leicester.
He would be a brilliant appointment better than Poch,imo.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
At the start- by that if you mean first 3 years, which is more than you can ask from any managerial appointment.

With Ole, we got wins and points but never had a plan, style or pattern.
As most United fans said at t he time, he impoved our perfomances, but he won feck all having got us to Semis, and finals multiple times. All with a 25-30 goal a season striker.

hubbuh

What does their top speed have to do with their effort?
I get his overarching point, in that the players need to share a burden of responsibility (and they fecking do, that first goal was completely on them). But I think he's slightly confused with effort and not being good enough.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I get his overarching point, in that the players need to share a burden of responsibility (and they fecking do, that first goal was completely on them). But I think he's slightly confused with effort and not being good enough.
You beat PSG and Lipzig... in very admirable fashion.

LiamB

Brining on Cavani then not putting any balls into the box. Get the ball into dangerous crossing position, turn around play ball back to half way line, rinse and repeat. That is our coaching for our games where teams sit back.

MattofManchester

Honestly, what we CAN do is hire Poch till the season's end to salvage our season. If we did it now(which won't happen) we'd have a while to assess how he goes till the end.

At the end, if he's not right, there's no harm done and we can find another manager.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Totally agree but even if your coached to play the way we are, I’d still expect them to try harder and with more desire than they are!
Im more of a player crtic than a manager. In my job if I see a manager doing a piss poor job i take responsibility and try to help him out, I don't sit on my ass and yawn.

Ekeke

Totally agree, but he had done his coaching job, he had us playing how he wanted, it was just awful.
How do we know who had us playing like they wanted? Mourinho was drooling over Fellaini like he was peak Messi. Each coach has had us playing how they wanted, we just sucked each time because the coach wasn't getting us to do the right things for us to succeed. That was the case with Moyes and its the case all the way through to Ole. And each one you could probably find 1 or 2 things that they coached that did take the team in a good direction, but there were 3-5 things that were taking us the wrong way too so we still underperformed

Greck

Yes it's not like we can't tell when both a player is awful and a manager lacks quality. He's presenting it as one or the other downplaying the role of coaching in team performances