We are an awfully coached team

Foxbatt

That's not the point i was making. This is like football 101. Schoolboys follow this on corner kicks. Do you really think we need coaching and management set up for telling our defenders their responsibility. If you look at all the corners we defend, its always the base CM and depending on side, one of our FB is covering for the CB. So obviously management team has a shape in mind while attacking corners. There is nothing Ole or any manager in the world will be able to do if our players just abandon the instructions and start playing freestyle football.
That's exactly what they do. The board shows who should be where and marking whom and what zone.
From what I have seen in the past it's always AWB who is the last man in defense.
Now the problem started with Mata and Bruno taking a short corner and then getting AWB involved in it. To make matters worse AWB decided to forget his defensive duties and join the attack.
Yes Ole can't be held immediately responsible for that. But I feel that this part of tactics is not explained or drummed enough into them.
No matter what in a short corner maximum it's two to three touches and then put in the cross.
Then no matter what do your job. The job of AWB was being last defender.

Martialfc

We never have any width. The width we do have is provided by our fullbacks who can’t cross to save their lives. We have forwards who can’t hold up the ball and CMs who can’t place 5 yard passes. Our main CB is slow in Maguire and we play a high line. Football isn’t rocket science we just don’t have the players to suit the system we wish to play.

There’s a reason people play a low block against us. We can’t break it down!

zacx

I hate this "coaching" excuse, players should have professional pride in what they do. This isn't just me talking about United but in football as a whole, these players are paid a fortune, coached since they were an adolescent, they know how to play or should do. Too many players are happy to let coach after coach get sacked, but yes us fans happily blame the coach, its bullshit. Its not a coaching issue its a player attitude issue.

If players were paid more on a performance wage scale than *here take our money* us fans would see a massive improvement in quality.

average team with good coach will beat a direction-less/lack of coaching team full of star most of the time. Otherwise why big team always try to hire a good/established coach...

your continuous blame on the players also is lame (even though there are partially responsible).... are you suggesting to purge the whole squad??? How many player we have bring in only to make them perform far worse than in their previous team? even Bruno also start to decline in performance after a good start last half season....

you can blame the players if only few on them are underperforming.... but if the whole squad is underperform... then the main blame should be on the hierarchy above them ...be it the coaches, manager, ceo or owner.

Reactions: Fortitude

Judas

Open to offers
Too often I watch us play and the first half is a write off, I can't keep count of the amount of times I've just been pleased to get to halftime and for the game not to be beyond us. We drift so often through games until kicked into action, and sometimes a kicking doesn't even do anything.

dpansheth

No offense, but if it took you one game to identify the patterns of play of Leeds United, how long do you think it will take for PL level coaches to figure out the best way to play against it?
Agree with your point, and that's where good coaching comes isnt it? you have to able to adapt, but even before you adapt you need to have a style that can give you the best chance to win games.
someone also mentioned LVG and his coaching, yes.. I agree to that. His style was not productive enough to give us the best chance, and was not good enough for us but atleast had a style and method.

To cut to the chase, We need a manager who can provide a method to win games, and we need a manager who can get players to buy into it ( majority of players )

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Too often I watch us play and the first half is a write off, I can't keep count of the amount of times I've just been pleased to get to halftime and for the game not to be beyond us. We drift so often through games until kicked into action, and sometimes a kicking doesn't even do anything.
Indeed.
I can never understand why we continually do this.
You have nominally 90 minutes to win a match.
So what is the logic in wasting the first 45.
If it is a tactic, it sends completely the wrong message to the players. It indicates weakness and lack of ambition.
And that has definitely fed through to the players.

Roane

Coaching is a fundamental part for all players but young ones in particular.

Glenn Hoddle has great thoughts on this when he opened up that academy for players who clubs had released.

I remember listening to him explain how first team football is totally different to academy, under 23 etc. He said the focus for players making first team was to change their mentality from playing for the individual to playing for the team. He said many, especially forwards struggle with this. Mainly because to it's more about the team and making space for others over getting the ball all the time to score for themselves. Martial and Rashford?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Even the small details are not properly drilled, for instance Bissaka repeatedly throwing throw-ins into the penis of the receiver, who is instantly closed down trying to get control and has to hoof it away.

There is not much evidence this coaching staff is in touch with what is working today, at elite level.
:lol:

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
I think we were a well drilled side under LVG. We were boring but that was mostly because we just lacked a lot of quality thanks to his poor signings. You might even say the system was too rigid but we were definitely a visibly coached side.
Agreed. LvG and to an extent even Mourinho had well drilled defensive and offensive plays. It's often quality that was lacking.

mattsville

We seem to really struggle creating chances when teams park the bus, SAF's answer to that was if they put 10 behind the ball then we will push 7 up on top of them, usually 7 quality motivated creative players with goals in them, we don't do that early enough as a must do, we need to be braver, we seem to be too fearful of our slow cb's getting exposed on the counter so we play 2 cm that primarily help them so we cannot add extra players to the attack, that to me is how it seems to be rolling, in terms or coaching, SAF was not known for his super tactical nous bt he was capable to that attacking end, he motivated people and drilled an absolute must win mentality but he supported that by committing players forward to do the job to such effect that teams shat themselves to even commit to a counter most of the time, slow center backs might be the issue holding it all back as Ole is a SAF student obviously and that is backed up by much of what he says, I say be brave just go for it, we will get done from time to time but we will win most of our games with the quality we have in attack, set the tone in an attacking sense and correct the cb deficiency in a later window, bravery required.

Foxbatt

SAF had repeatedly said that tempo is what he gets them to play. If they drop the tempo then it is the hair dryer treatment. Look at how slow we have been after him. Even with Moyes he said the tempo was not there. Now with LVG is went more slow and now it is walking pace with Maguire and Matic and Mata and Pogba.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Agree with your point, and that's where good coaching comes isnt it? you have to able to adapt, but even before you adapt you need to have a style that can give you the best chance to win games.
someone also mentioned LVG and his coaching, yes.. I agree to that. His style was not productive enough to give us the best chance, and was not good enough for us but atleast had a style and method.

To cut to the chase, We need a manager who can provide a method to win games, and we need a manager who can get players to buy into it ( majority of players )
This is why it takes time for a manager to build a very good side. Last season was largely about managing our squad, with the injuries we suffered and the obvious creative holes. Once we were able to add that results were mostly very good.

This season is the only time we could really argue that Ole has some options to work with. We've used a number of different formations, and experimented with a lot of different players. Different combinations.

He is clearly trying to adapt. To find out what works best for this group. Weve seen how difficult that can be. Diamond looks wonderful one game and terrible the next. Tuanzebe gives a MOM performance and looks like the future, then is bloody awful the next time we play him.

There are only really two constants that I can see. (1) when Bruno plays well we win, and (2) when we use a Fred & McTominay pairing in front of the defence we look a much more balanced team.

Everything else is hit and miss, so we have a manager that is desperately searching for a solution. He thought he'd found one last season so he stuck with it but ran that team into the ground. Now he is trying to find a consistent plan B and C but nothing seems to stick.

Our problem isn't coaching, because we've seen more than a few games where we've looked like a well drilled outfit. Our problem is how we can get a consistency in performance out of so many of these players, because until we have that we cannot rotate and we cannot adjust our approach.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
This is why it takes time for a manager to build a very good side. Last season was largely about managing our squad, with the injuries we suffered and the obvious creative holes. Once we were able to add that results were mostly very good.

This season is the only time we could really argue that Ole has some options to work with. We've used a number of different formations, and experimented with a lot of different players. Different combinations.

He is clearly trying to adapt. To find out what works best for this group. Weve seen how difficult that can be. Diamond looks wonderful one game and terrible the next. Tuanzebe gives a MOM performance and looks like the future, then is bloody awful the next time we play him.

There are only really two constants that I can see. (1) when Bruno plays well we win, and (2) when we use a Fred & McTominay pairing in front of the defence we look a much more balanced team.

Everything else is hit and miss, so we have a manager that is desperately searching for a solution. He thought he'd found one last season so he stuck with it but ran that team into the ground. Now he is trying to find a consistent plan B and C but nothing seems to stick.

Our problem isn't coaching, because we've seen more than a few games where we've looked like a well drilled outfit. Our problem is how we can get a consistency in performance out of so many of these players, because until we have that we cannot rotate and we cannot adjust our approach.
We are relying on individual brilliance rather than collective brilliance.

Foxbatt

We are relying on individual brilliance rather than collective brilliance.
Spot on. We have never been a well drilled team under Ole. It has been individual brilliance that gets us there always.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
That's not the point i was making. This is like football 101. Schoolboys follow this on corner kicks. Do you really think we need coaching and management set up for telling our defenders their responsibility. If you look at all the corners we defend, its always the base CM and depending on side, one of our FB is covering for the CB. So obviously management team has a shape in mind while attacking corners. There is nothing Ole or any manager in the world will be able to do if our players just abandon the instructions and start playing freestyle football.
Hard to think that we don't have a routine set piece process. Don't we define clearly who should stay back during corners ? Why is this in the hands of players ? Above all why the heck was Matic covering them. He is no use there. A 32 year old midfielder who is as slow as a snail who can't head is covering our post during a corner ? Do you really think it was Matic's decision to stay back and cover the post ?

100% we took them lightly and Noone (including Ole and coaches) thought they will score a goal. Its just pathetic !

Foxbatt

Hard to think that we don't have a routine set piece process. Don't we define clearly who should stay back during corners ? Why is this in the hands of players ? Above all why the heck was Matic covering them. He is no use there. A 32 year old midfielder who is as slow as a snail who can't head is covering our post during a corner ? Do you really think it was Matic's decision to stay back and cover the post ?

100% we took them lightly and Noone (including Ole and coaches) thought they will score a goal. Its just pathetic !
We have and that is AWB is the last defender. It was a cockup between Bruno, Mata and AWB. when they took the short corner AWB hung near them instead of going back to the centre. Then they instead of putting in a cross passed it to him. He then decided to pass it back to them instead of putting in a cross. Matic was at the right place during all this. Once AWB decided to take it forward is where it started to unravel and Matic lost his position and Ba left him for dead. There is no way Matic is going to catch Ba in a foot race even if he was close to him. He may have been able to pull him back and take a yellow if he was closer. It was a clearance kicked up field into our own half.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Spot on. We have never been a well drilled team under Ole. It has been individual brilliance that gets us there always.
I remember Van Gaal said early into Ole's tenure that there was not much difference between Ole and Mourinho. At the time the only difference he said was that Ole was winning.

We are a counter attacking team that relies on the individual brilliance of Bruno to do something good and then for a goal to come out of that. If there is space, as there was against Leipzig, it is easier for Bruno to make the killer pass, as he did with Rashfords first goal.

But when we come up against teams that sit back we are in trouble because we are not collectively drilled to break down teams. To give Ole the benefit of the doubt, the only thing i see when we come up against teams that sit back is to use Bruno, Martial and Rashford to play one twos and hope to score then. But they are out of sync with the MF. Pogba is doing his own thing and playing for himself.

Get in a coach that can teach the whole team to attack in sync, ironically enough like Leipzig do, and we would be much better, because we have good players. I saw a tweet posted somewhere here a month ago that the players were questioning Ole because they wanted to be taught how to attack as a unit and not individually.

I am not sold on Poch either. From what i can remember of spurs under him, they pressed high but relied again on the individual brilliance of Dele, Kane and Son to score. What we really want is a prime City under Guardiola when they won the PL with a 100 points, that can open up teams with two passes, where the whole team is in sync together and not players doing their own thing.

Foxbatt

I remember Van Gaal said early into Ole's tenure that there was not much difference between Ole and Mourinho. At the time the only difference he said was that Ole was winning.

We are a counter attacking team that relies on the individual brilliance of Bruno to do something good and then for a goal to come out of that. If there is space, as there was against Leipzig, it is easier for Bruno to make the killer pass, as he did with Rashfords first goal.

But when we come up against teams that sit back we are in trouble because we are not collectively drilled to break down teams. To give Ole the benefit of the doubt, the only thing i see when we come up against teams that sit back is to use Bruno, Martial and Rashford to play one twos and hope to score then. But they are out of sync with the MF. Pogba is doing his own thing and playing for himself.

Get in a coach that can teach the whole team to attack in sync, ironically enough like Leipzig do, and we would be much better, because we have good players. I saw a tweet posted somewhere here a month ago that the players were questioning Ole because they wanted to be taught how to attack as a unit and not individually.

I am not sold on Poch either. From what i can remember of spurs under him, they pressed high but relied again on the individual brilliance of Dele, Kane and Son to score. What we really want is a prime City under Guardiola when they won the PL with a 100 points, that can open up teams with two passes, where the whole team is in sync together and not players doing their own thing.
I agree with you. I am not sold on Poch either. I would rather have Biesla than Poch. Rose and Naggelsman play in a much structured way than most managers including Poch. But I have a gut feeling that it is going to be Poch.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I agree with you. I am not sold on Poch either. I would rather have Biesla than Poch. Rose and Naggelsman play in a much structured way than most managers including Poch. But I have a gut feeling that it is going to be Poch.
Yea more than likely it will be Poch.

I remember watching the two CL ties with Ajax in the semis and Ajax destroyed them. Spurs resorted to hitting the ball long at the end and got lucky. I was so impressed with Ajax, in the first leg in White Hart Lane or the new stadium ( i cannot remember which).

dpansheth

Three points I want to make:
1) Ole ( the manager ) should already know how to make incremental progress, he's been in the job long enough. No signs of having a preferred mode/style after this much time is troubling to say the least
2) He's still looking for a solution because he has not been able to find the problem. i.e. his own methods.
3) HIs in game management very very clearly shows that he's not able to figure IT out quickly and his team of staff is not helpful in such situations.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
This is worth a read

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...le-gunnar-solskjaer-champions-league-istanbul

Solskjær is not one of the world’s best coaches. And yet while presiding over some calamitous defeats, he has also masterminded some outstanding triumphs in big games. He has been handed a bloated, uneven squad (Klopp got Virgil van Dijk; Solskjær got Maguire) and virtually no pre-season. He is neither genius nor moron. He is simply a competent attacking coach with a strong sense of the club’s mission and identity. Perhaps the occasional comedy spanking is simply the price you pay.

In a sense, United are strung between two poles. The attraction in replacing Solskjær with the available Mauricio Pochettino is obvious but even if United could pull it off mid-season a costly rebuild would be required: more signings, more squad churn, more payoffs, more upheaval, an entirely different footballing philosophy.

Yet there is equal risk in doing nothing: another season of drift and atrophy, of cheap thrills and scant substance, another season in which for all their toil United learn nothing at all.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
This is worth a read

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...le-gunnar-solskjaer-champions-league-istanbul

Solskjær is not one of the world’s best coaches. And yet while presiding over some calamitous defeats, he has also masterminded some outstanding triumphs in big games. He has been handed a bloated, uneven squad (Klopp got Virgil van Dijk; Solskjær got Maguire) and virtually no pre-season. He is neither genius nor moron. He is simply a competent attacking coach with a strong sense of the club’s mission and identity. Perhaps the occasional comedy spanking is simply the price you pay.

In a sense, United are strung between two poles. The attraction in replacing Solskjær with the available Mauricio Pochettino is obvious but even if United could pull it off mid-season a costly rebuild would be required: more signings, more squad churn, more payoffs, more upheaval, an entirely different footballing philosophy.

Yet there is equal risk in doing nothing: another season of drift and atrophy, of cheap thrills and scant substance, another season in which for all their toil United learn nothing at all.
Who signed Maguire?

A capable manager doesn't need a rebuild. Should be able to work with what we have now. Infact, that should be our primary criteria

Tyrion

This was apparent for many months. Since Ole started, have we even looked like having a particular effective style that wasn't just counter attacking against the top teams and relying on individual quality against the shit ones?
Nope. Never. I've heard a few people make the point that Ole is similar to Jose in that he doesn't really give his attackers any clear instructions and lets them make it up as they go along. This is great if they're in form or in space but awful if not.

Tyrion

This is worth a read

Solskjær is not one of the world’s best coaches. And yet while presiding over some calamitous defeats, he has also masterminded some outstanding triumphs in big games. He has been handed a bloated, uneven squad (Klopp got Virgil van Dijk; Solskjær got Maguire) and virtually no pre-season. He is neither genius nor moron. He is simply a competent attacking coach with a strong sense of the club’s mission and identity.
I really agree with that. He isn't the PE coach his critics claim and he isn't the top manager in waiting that his supporters dream he is.

Greck

Who signed Maguire?

A capable manager doesn't need a rebuild. Should be able to work with what we have now. Infact, that should be our primary criteria
Thats Myth #1222344. That we have to tear it up and start from scratch. We didn't start from scratch when we fired Mourinho. The core of the present team that Ole inherited was from his tenure and the same will apply for the next man. Firing a manger doesn't mean selling the core of the first team and buying a new one

Foxbatt

This is worth a read

Did Jonathan copy my comments here on this goal? :)

Greck

Nope. Never. I've heard a few people make the point that Ole is similar to Jose in that he doesn't really give his attackers any clear instructions and lets them make it up as they go along. This is great if they're in form or in space but awful if not.
Jose at least gave them defensive instructions. He coached the defensive side. For example when we had corners the mistake we made on Wednesday would never be an issue. He was specific about defensive shape when we had the ball. Good Managers don't just wing it and leave it to the players. Our problem was he was too focused on that end even at the cost of attack

Foxbatt

Jose at least gave them defensive instructions. He coached the defensive side. For example when we had corners the mistake we made on Wednesday would never be an issue. He was specific about defensive shape when we had the ball. Good Managers don't just wing it and leave it to the players. Our problem was he was too focused on that end even at the cost of attack
Jose had a phycological problem. He used to give tactics at Barca under LVG. When LVG left Jose hoped they would promote him but they didn't. Then he went anti Barca style. That's where he became the defensive coach he is.
Yes in defense he is very structured. His teams are normally structured and I would say his problems at United started with his issues with Pogba.

nihal18_red forever

Bruno saved oles ass last season.Wonder who he brings this january to save his job but the end result as everyone knows is inevitable.

hungrywing

SAF had repeatedly said that tempo is what he gets them to play. If they drop the tempo then it is the hair dryer treatment. Look at how slow we have been after him. Even with Moyes he said the tempo was not there. Now with LVG is went more slow and now it is walking pace with Maguire and Matic and Mata and Pogba.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Honestly, I really feel that if we got in the right manager who could get this team drilled and come up with some tactics to suit the players, whilst improving them, it'll change the whole outlook around the club.

I feel like this is a managerial "tap in" with some of the players we have. Somebody is going to look really good when they get a grip of this squad.

LoneStar

The shambling defending for the goals aside, we looked totally clueless when we had time and space on the ball and going for an equalizer. The game could have continued for another 90 mins and the result would be the same. We can all blame the players and a lot of them are definitely to blame, but we have a pretty strong squad with enough creativity to be blowing smaller teams away. A lot of this is on coaching.

Strelok

For me the most frustrating issue is we can play really well, like a superbly coached team, where everyone know exactly what they should do in a match. Then the very next match we look so clueless, no one seems to know what's their job or what they are supposed to do. Same with our level of intensity and our tempo. One is top there and other just can't be lower.

If we're well coached we should be able to play like that to some extent week in week out. If we're badly coached we shouldn't be able to play that well. So frustrating tbh.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Yep agree with you at @Bilbo. You have a style of play and formation that can be adapted when needs must, not change formation and style every game because it takes your fancy. No wonder the team cannot get into any sort of a rhythm. Your team should be well drilled, know their job. That is good coaching. Ole actually needs to be coached himself.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
AWB, Maguire, James and now Bruno as well.

New signings tend to do well with us up until they settled down and our coaches had the time to work with them. That explains the manager's obsession in signing new expensive signings that can carry the team up until they can't

If you take Phelan out of the equation then the experience at coaching level is embarrassing. There is nothing in Mckenna, Ole, Carrick, dempsey and Co's CV to suggest that they deserve to coach man utd first team

youmeletsfly

Honestly, I really feel that if we got in the right manager who could get this team drilled and come up with some tactics to suit the players, whilst improving them, it'll change the whole outlook around the club.

I feel like this is a managerial "tap in" with some of the players we have. Somebody is going to look really good when they get a grip of this squad.
Yes you're right, but it will still take a season or two.

I think we're also in need of a medical department overhaul. Compared with other teams, our players look seriously unfit and seriously skinny ass motherfeckers. Pogba is too big, Rashford too skinny, Greenwood too skinny, Maguire also looks he gained a few pounds, something is seriously off.

hungrywing

You might not even have to do that. Just tell each forward player if they don't make X amount of runs behind the defense per game, they'll be benched for two weeks. Midfielders, if they make a run while you have the ball and you don't even attempt to find them, you'll be benched for two weeks. If you look like you're trying to pass off the responsibility, you'll be benched for two weeks. Forwards, if you made a run and they tried to find you and it didn't come off, tough luck that one doesn't count.

Here's the important part: literally everyone else, if one of the forwards makes a run, and the midfielder with the ball tries to find him but it gets cut out - if you don't each mark your man and help win back the ball within five seconds, you're benched for two weeks. Lastly, the two week penalties are accumulative.

When they all mutiny because they're all overpaid, you're in trouble though. Who knew.

Strelok

You might not even have to do that. Just tell each forward player if they don't make X amount of runs behind the defense per game, they'll be benched for two weeks. Midfielders, if they make a run while you have the ball and you don't even attempt to find them, you'll be benched for two weeks. If you look like you're trying to pass off the responsibility, you'll be benched for two weeks. Forwards, if you made a run and they tried to find you and it didn't come off, tough luck that one doesn't count.

Here's the important part: literally everyone else, if one of the forwards makes a run, and the midfielder with the ball tries to find him but it gets cut out - if you don't each mark your man and help win back the ball within five seconds, you're benched for two weeks. Lastly, the two week penalties are accumulative.

When they all mutiny because they're all overpaid, you're in trouble though. Who knew.
You'd probably end up playing the U18 :lol:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
AWB, Maguire, James and now Bruno as well.

New signings tend to do well with us up until they settled down and our coaches had the time to work with them. That explains the manager's obsession in signing new expensive signings that can carry the team up until they can't

If you take Phelan out of the equation then the experience at coaching level is embarrassing. There is nothing in Mckenna, Ole, Carrick, dempsey and Co's CV to suggest that they deserve to coach man utd first team
This seems to be the latest Redcafe fad. To suggest that players somehow get worse the longer they stay here. Since we are able to pick quite a few examples that fit this theory from all of our managers post-Ferguson, isn't it reasonable to suggest that perhaps its more down to the culture within the dressing room than the level of education these players are receiving? It definitely seems to fit better with our inability to be consistent and the schoolboy level errors that we tend to make.