We are an awfully coached team

romufc

We are a bit of a one-trick-pony at the moment. If we somehow manage to get the first goal, and the game opens up a little, then we are great. If the opponent gets the first goal, we have nothing.
We beat Newcastle and Everton after going a goal down.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
When opposition stay low and deep, we are just clueless. Absolutely embarassing with the ball.

Edy2

Far too slow, no movement, people not wanting the ball. We are not moving their defenders around at all because of these reasons. We will never get proficient at beating the likes of these while we continue to be so poor in these areas.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The coaching is horrendous. That's it. The fact that Ole is coming up on 2 years as manager at United is crazy IMO.

dal

This seems a day when grinding the win would do. Everyone just seems a bit lost.

Paranoid Android

I think it's always going to be difficult when you have all three of Martial, Rashford and Mata in the front three. I do rate the first two in certain aspects, but their movement in the final third is generally poor.

It's not really rocket science.

Reactions: golden_blunder

delerium

Rashford and Martial needs to make runs into space more. They just rely on their magic when carrying the ball, but it is really difficult when the opponent is sitting so deep.

SAFMUTD

It wouldn't surprise me if Ole's speech about tactics are about "go out there and have fun" "be aggressive" "we're ManUtd".

He seems like a motivator rather than a tactictian.

No attacking patterns at all, we depend on individual brilliance every freaking time. Must be really easy to set up a game against us as an underdog, just get your low block and watch how we pass the ball around and around for 90 minutes without creating shit.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Is launching a long floater for Maguire to nod down at the back post our only truly identifiable training ground tactic?
It appears we’ve got another one now... Somehow conspiring to stop our new expert corner taking full back from actually taking corners (the one hugely positive and dangerous thing he did on his debut) by trying to repeatedly engineer the most ludicrous and unlikely routine whereby he can attempt to Scholes it in on the full volley from 20 yards instead.

What a massively fecking useful and efficient application of our players.

We are genuinely a bunch of idiots

KD6-3.7

There is little to no tactics on show. Ole in general has already proved to be an awful coach most should have known that by now but one thing that bothers me is how Carrick got onto the coaching team.

i have always disliked when the club gives ex players these positions they are clearly not qualified for, it was like when we forced Giggs as assistant manager on Van Gaal.

Ludens the Red

I have to say that was an extraordinary watch.
Technically that is the worse game Ive seen in long time.
I’ve always felt Bilic and Ole are two of the worse managers in the league, technically speaking.
And I think that match proved it quite well.
Unforced errors, lack of skill, lack of chance creation, lack of movement, lack of composure.
Everything you’d expect from two terribly coached teams and it was exactly what we got.
Two managers who are like ten years into their managerial careers and till this day I haven’t got a clue what either is doing, I don’t know What their style is or what they want. Just a mish mash of randomness.

That match was literally the perfect summary of Bilic and Ole.

PoTMS

Swap the respective managers in that WBA and United game and you'd get the same result. Both are garbage.

Godfather

It appears we’ve got another one now... Somehow conspiring to stop our new expert corner taking full back from actually taking corners (the one hugely positive and dangerous thing he did on his debut) by trying to repeatedly engineer the most ludicrous and unlikely routine whereby he can attempt to Scholes it in on the full volley from 20 yards instead.

What a massively fecking useful and efficient application of our players.

We are genuinely a bunch of idiots
Did my head in. Tried it two times as well. You can try that once a season but not twice in a single game... So so stupid. Man this is poorly coached

Mr PG

Ole is too nice to replace either of his first team trainers and will cost him his job

Andersons Dietician

I’m really starting to struggle with the idea that a team with so many talented players can actually play this poor. Some of the things they do are laughable. I swear I’ve seen Sunday league teams with better organisation and approach play.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
It wouldn't surprise me if Ole's speech about tactics are about "go out there and have fun" "be aggressive" "we're ManUtd".

He seems like a motivator rather than a tactictian.

No attacking patterns at all, we depend on individual brilliance every freaking time. Must be really easy to set up a game against us as an underdog, just get your low block and watch how we pass the ball around and around for 90 minutes without creating shit.
This 100%. We are relying on individual brilliance rather than collective brilliance to break down teams. About 80% of it goes through Bruno and 20% through Rashford. Just hope to create a chance from both of those players.

JohnnyKills

Pretty much all of Ole's big calls have been right. He's done exactly what most of the Caf would have wanted him to do and he's done a great job pruning the squad.

Feel like he may be coming to the end though.

Foxbatt

It has always been terrible. We do not have any planned play. It is always up to the individuals. If they practice day in and day out then surely they would have a better understanding of what their team mates do.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Pretty much all of Ole's big calls have been right. He's done exactly what most of the Caf would have wanted him to do and he's done a great job pruning the squad.

Are those limited to player sales and acquisitions?

Chris M

Its hard to watch a full match and has been for quite a while, there's the odd match where we look like a team, but very sporadic. The low point for me recently in a recent game I only watched the highlights, the first highlight was after 27 minutes.

passing-wind

We play worse football than LVG but marginally better than Mourinho. Think that's a awful highlight arguably the worst set of coaching staff at a top club in Europe including the manager.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Swap the respective managers in that WBA and United game and you'd get the same result. Both are garbage.
I am biased maybe but it is not true. Bilic knows how to work with talented players.
If Bilic was our coach yesterday and Ole on WBA's bench it would be 5-0. Bilic is not some top class manager but he is different level than Solskjaer.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

He bought 80mil defender and 50mil defensive fb who will be a problem for any manager who comes here and wants to play attacking football. He replaced one deadwood (Alexis) with another deadwood (James).
And i will not mention longterm contracts to some players who will not maybe be in next managers plans.

Ralph1386

His decisions were right mostly at the beginning of his reign. But as you say, it’s coming to an end. It looks like he’s hit his ceiling.

spiriticon

We do look awfully amateur in attack but is it really just Ole though?

Mourinho, LvG and Moyes all had the same problem.

There's a mentality missing in the strikers.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United

Moyes was on a hiding to nothing from the start.

LVG was a his way or no way manager where players had their zones and weren't allowed to deviate from them.

Mourinho being defensively minded had our attackers almost defend more than attack.

Ole has us playing as a counter attacking team with very little cohesion as a unit and little in the way of movement being coached so maybe it's not a mentality problem but more to do with past and present managers not having the capacity to get the best out of them.

monosierra

I don't mind OGS being a hands-off manager like SAF in his latter years but he'd need better coaches to pull what SAF pulled off.

Greck

I have to say that was an extraordinary watch.
Technically that is the worse game Ive seen in long time.
I’ve always felt Bilic and Ole are two of the worse managers in the league, technically speaking.
And I think that match proved it quite well.
Unforced errors, lack of skill, lack of chance creation, lack of movement, lack of composure.
Everything you’d expect from two terribly coached teams and it was exactly what we got.
Two managers who are like ten years into their managerial careers and till this day I haven’t got a clue what either is doing, I don’t know What their style is or what they want. Just a mish mash of randomness.

That match was literally the perfect summary of Bilic and Ole.
Off of yesterday I thought West Brom had some nice ideas but it was way way over what the players are capable of. They would be better just pumping crosses with what they have. Every time they got in the final 3rd someone would play the most poorly executed pass you could see in a passing combination

Will Singh

Ole was an impact player and I think thats what hes team are just individual performances mostly. He has it in him to get the team playing together and we've seen it just not every game and its normally against attacking teams it pays off...

Even my wife who has never played football in her life can see that we don’t have a game plan.

Greck

We didn't look undercoached under LVG, almost the opposite and under Jose we played how he likes but were defensively well coached.

tomaldinho1

An easy counter to this is that since SAF, strikers like Ings, Vardy, Lukaku (Everton) have all hit 20+ goal seasons for a non dominant team. The fact Lukaku went from 25 goals in a season at a weaker team to then struggling says it all really - until the tactics change for the better we will always struggle to score goals from open play.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
McKenna and Carrick are learning on the job in their respective roles. Granted you need to learn somewhere, and long term this is vital experience for both, but should United really be in this position of basically giving two major roles to people who are basically on a apprenticeship ?

spiriticon

We didn't look undercoached under LVG, almost the opposite and under Jose we played how he likes but were defensively well coached.
I'm talking about the attack. LvG and Jose never figured an attacking system which worked for us