We are an awfully coached team

criticalanalysis

We started well for the first 15-20mins and then fell into a lull as Burnley regained some confidence.

These are the parts where Ole needs to improve. He's far too happy to wait until half time.

He should on the touchline screaming at the players to take back the initiative and up the tempo.

Subs were inspired and changed the game but for me it comes back to Plan B worked well, Plan A wasn't good enough.

Red Comet

Man Utd Win: For some reason, these talented players are stringing things together consistently over the entire season! Ole is a lucky coach.
Man Utd Lose: Ole is a shite coach, he can't coach "patterns of play" to get these talented players to string things together.

Roux

I have seen Carl Anka of The Athletic saying that he asked Ole about the space and lack of movement and he said that he doesn't do like to play like space and that sort of thing. To Carl it was puzzling as to why he thought he said that. He doesn't know if Ole thinks he does not have the kind of players to play like that or simply he does not believe in playing like that.
Was it as puzzling as your sentence?

Withnail

I have seen Carl Anka of The Athletic saying that he asked Ole about the space and lack of movement and he said that he doesn't do like to play like space and that sort of thing. To Carl it was puzzling as to why he thought he said that. He doesn't know if Ole thinks he does not have the kind of players to play like that or simply he does not believe in playing like that.
Was it as puzzling as your sentence?
I was about to post the same thing.

Can you try again @Foxbatt ?

You've completely lost us here.

Zoo

Time to end this thread. It’s a joke. We had so many games like this under Fergie.

Foxbatt

I have seen Carl Anka of The Athletic saying that he asked Ole about the space and lack of movement and he said that he doesn't do like to play like space and that sort of thing. Carl it was puzzling as to why he he said that. He doesn't know if Ole thinks he does not have the kind of players to play like that or simply he does not believe in playing like that.

It was on about how other top teams play as a team with all the passing and the movement and how United does not seem to play like that. So he said he asked Ole about what he is going to do about that and our movements off the ball. Ole told him, that he is not looking at that but to do what we can do when we have the ball. Unlike for example, Real Madrid, denying Liverpool, the space, he said Ole is looking to get his frontline running and it looks like to Carl that either Ole does not trust his players to make those passes ( apart from Pogba and certainly Fred is not capable of doing it) or he simply does not believe in that style of football.
We saw a fair bit of it today. Players not making those passes and turning back or holding on to the ball too long or trying to dribble their way through.

Flexdegea

I have seen Carl Anka of The Athletic saying that he asked Ole about the space and lack of movement and he said that he doesn't do like to play like space and that sort of thing. Carl it was puzzling as to why he he said that. He doesn't know if Ole thinks he does not have the kind of players to play like that or simply he does not believe in playing like that.

It was on about how other top teams play as a team with all the passing and the movement and how United does not seem to play like that. So he said he asked Ole about what he is going to do about that and our movements off the ball. Ole told him, that he is not looking at that but to do what we can do when we have the ball. Unlike for example, Real Madrid, denying Liverpool, the space, he said Ole is looking to get his frontline running and it looks like to Carl that either Ole does not trust his players to make those passes ( apart from Pogba and certainly Fred is not capable of doing it) or he simply does not believe in that style of football.
We saw a fair bit of it today. Players not making those passes and turning back or holding on to the ball too long or trying to dribble their way through.

Absolute dross everything you wrote

McTerminator

Time to end this thread. It’s a joke. We had so many games like this under Fergie.
Thank you! At least someone remembers without the rose tinted glasses.

I still remember an away game against Blackpool in the league where we were 2-0down at half time I think. However, as soon as the half time whistle blew I had every confidence that a hairdryer from the gaffer would see the team bounce back. I believe they did just that.

SAF is the GOAT

Even though we ended up with 0-0 today, I enjoyed watching us play with the ball and one touch passing, and that's only after a week of rest.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Even though we ended up with 0-0 today, I enjoyed watching us play with the ball and one touch passing, and that's only after a week of rest.
This is a key point actually. I am finally beginning to trust the team to win pretty much any game they play now. Sure there is still plenty of room for improvements all over the pitch, but I see a clear style of play now and I think the team understanding of their roles and their confidence in each other to do their own jobs effectively has come on leaps and bounds from where Ole had to start.

Sunday was a very solid performance and nobody could have complained had we won it 1 or 2 nil. We were the first team that Leeds' coaching staff felt the need to change how they played against. They parked the bus because they feared what United are capable of when given space on the counter. They used tactical fouling to slow the game down. Even then, we were the better side and you could see a 0-0 was a result they were more than happy to come away with.

There's also been a recent pattern of us scoring goals against some of the bus parking teams too.

My only gripe was that the subs should have been given at least 30 minutes rather than 15.

Overall, this team has made genuine progress over the last 2.5 years. Even compared to last season when we were relying on a final day result to get top 4 and are now in a far more solid position with 5 games to spare.

tomaldinho1

I think also since Ole has confirmed he's not doing the day-to-day coaching it might be better to change the thread to focus on Carrick, Phelan, Pert and McKenna.

Needs to be more balance on here than bad = Ole's fault and good = Ole's doing. Some fans seem to think he's literally scouting players, negotiating contracts, coaching tactics and managing a massive squad of egos and competitve personalities. Ole picks high level tactics, chooses subs, signs off on transfers and tells the coaching team what he wants them to train. Praise those four coaches when we play really well and criticise them when we don't. Ole should get praise for the more high level decisions like going with the 3 at the back versus PSG but then face criticism in instances like the RBL second game.

Foxbatt

I think also since Ole has confirmed he's not doing the day-to-day coaching it might be better to change the thread to focus on Carrick, Phelan, Pert and McKenna.

Needs to be more balance on here than bad = Ole's fault and good = Ole's doing. Some fans seem to think he's literally scouting players, negotiating contracts, coaching tactics and managing a massive squad of egos and competitve personalities. Ole picks high level tactics, chooses subs, signs off on transfers and tells the coaching team what he wants them to train. Praise those four coaches when we play really well and criticise them when we don't. Ole should get praise for the more high level decisions like going with the 3 at the back versus PSG but then face criticism in instances like the RBL second game.
I don't blame Ole for the coaching but for hiring the coaching staff. I have always said that we need better and more experienced coaching staff. Now probably we can blame that John fellow.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Anyone watching the CL game today? Can you seriously say we're close to playing football at this level, irrespective of results?

It's just so much more enjoyable.

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

Anyone watching the CL game today? Can you seriously as say we're close to playing football at this level, irrespective of results?

Didn't we beat both these teams this season?? I think we can play at this level we just become complacent at times

FatTails

Didn't we beat both these teams this season?? I think we can play at this level we just become complacent at times
Poster said irrespective of results. Anyone can beat anyone in a one off game, the poster is presumably referring to the quality of passing, press, and general play.

Blzbud

Anyone watching the CL game today? Can you seriously as say we're close to playing football at this level, irrespective of results?

I’ll admit to being a glass half full guy with regard to my views on our team, but I’m watching this thinking that we’ve more than held our own against both these teams this season. We might not be at their level but I don’t feel we’re that far off.

GazTheLegend

We've deservedly beaten (and outplayed) both these sides at times literally this season!! PSG needed a red card and a crossbar to save them against us doing them twice. Isn't this sort of stuff kind of embarassing to write at this point?

kidbob

I think the difference is though that we are 3 to 4 players short of where they are and the coaching staff know it. It doesn't help that one of our better players in Martial has shit the bed this year and Pogba has missed a lot of game time. If you look at the benches of both these teams and how a lot of them would start for us then its pretty clear we need more quality in. Pep or Poch wouldn't have our first team playing football like this either, but it may be better than what we currently do under them.

Posh Red

I’ve seen United in play football to a better standard than this this season. We’re not as far behind as some people think IMO

GazTheLegend

Poster said irrespective of results. Anyone can beat anyone in a one off game, the poster is presumably referring to the quality of passing, press, and general play.
We outplayed psg in both games as I recall with red tinted glasses admittedly. It was very close at least. City, arguably maybe we rely on counter attacks more often than not, but our xG is often higher than theirs (love it or hate it it's a decent metric).

Rightnr

Thank you. I sometimes wonder if people read or just want to pounce and prove their point.

I know we've beaten both these teams but our general play is so laboured. We've played some excellent football at times this season, like against PSG and Tottenham. But it's been few and far between.

Even beating City, it was killing them on the break, not dominating.

Honestly, watching the way PSG pass through the press, the confidence and accuracy, it's just different class. It's silky, it's nice to watch, like watching Federer serve. Even if he loses, it's just nice on the eye.

Foxbatt

Exactly what I thought. How on Earth did they lose to us so many times? They also have much better players and play with a different system.

Blzbud

Thank you. I sometimes wonder if people read or just want to pounce and prove their point.

I know we've beaten both these teams but our general play is so laboured. We've played some excellent football at times this season, like against PSG and Tottenham. But it's been few and far between.

Honestly, watching the way PSG pass through the press, the confidence and accuracy, it's just different class. It's silky, it's nice to watch, like watching Federer serve. Even if he loses, it's just nice on the eye.
Sorry, but who ‘pounced’? Just people expressing a different view. One might even accuse you of the same, quite frankly. But it’s a good game, so let’s just enjoy.

Rightnr

Sorry, but who ‘pounced’? Just people expressing a different view. One might even accuse you of the same, quite frankly. But it’s a good game, so let’s just enjoy.
I mean I didn't say everyone but the below is ridiculous. Some people just cannot see nuance.

It's all very good saying we've beaten PSG but we also lost to an unknown Turkish side and if you are a top team, you just don't do that. We have high highs but also very low lows. That's not the hallmark of a top team.

We've deservedly beaten (and outplayed) both these sides at times literally this season!! PSG needed a red card and a crossbar to save them against us doing them twice. Isn't this sort of stuff kind of embarassing to write at this point?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

That’s not true, we didn’t win simply ‘on the break’ we were the better side for long periods of that game and they even couldn’t get the ball off us for a while and barely made a chance. We were hitting them on the break towards the end, but we were easily the better side.

Also how’s that federer serve going for them now?

E-mal

I think the football we play is basic and we can actually do better with a better manager.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This isn't even coaching. We are easily better than Roma, but if we lose this it's on mentality. Shit pens happen, lapses in concentration happen, but we let it affect us way too much. Not all our players, but as a collective it's just weird for us. We need a trophy desperately and it'll be really bad for us if we don't win the Europa League IMO.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Been saying this. Games like this in Europe will prove it. It's all good when you are asked to defend and counter against PSG,RBL but when asked to dominate and win, we just sucks.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
We are a brilliantly coached side.
I think the football we play is basic and we can actually do better with a better manager.
Been saying this. Games like this in Europe will prove it. It's all good when you are asked to defend and counter against PSG,RBL but when asked to dominate and win, we just sucks.
An horror show of incompetence
An horror show indeed.