We are an awfully coached team

Crustanoid

Well, maybe he's crap and needs to be replaced. And if the manager doesn't see it and insists on keeping him, then he should be replaced himself.

Seriously, I find it annoying when people talk about the likes of Carrick and McKenna They are very young coaches and we have no idea how good they are. Maybe they are brilliant at what they do, but are hampered by a manager who wants to play a certain way. Maybe they are bad in their jobs, but the manager insists on keeping them. One way or the other, the bucks stops with the manager.

All due respect to coaches and assistant coaches, teams take the structure and style of their manager (or head coach if there's no manager). An assistant or a coach cannot save a manager from himself.
And maybe the managers ineptitude is a result of those who persist with him. Maybe we should look at the wider picture. It all comes back to the club structure and ultimately the owners and their priorities. Is Ole doing well in those parameters. Results on their own suggest he is.

What is the solution?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I do find it weird that Ole is pretty much the only manager who could be top of the league on a record breaking away run, lose one game because of a red card and immediately his job is under threat.
If he wins the league this year a good section of our support will have to disappear forever. Be amazing.

Nothing he does will ever be good enough for these plastic fans. When we win it's down to players but when we lose its on Ole. How does that even work?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If he wins the league this year a good section of our support will have to disappear forever. Be amazing.

Nothing he does will ever be good enough for these plastic fans. When we win it's down to players but when we lose its on Ole. How does that even work?
Ah, plastic fans phrase. Original. Lovely.
Btw, bashing United players and to want them replaced is ok but if you do that for manager then you are plastic fan. How does that even work?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Ah, plastic fans phrase. Original. Lovely.
Btw, bashing United players and to want them replaced is ok but if you do that for manager then you are plastic fan. How does that even work?
Because he's not even done a bad job. We are top of the league ffs. We came 2nd to one of greatest coaches of all time. Is that sackable offence?

Lee565

Because he's not even done a bad job. We are top of the league ffs. We came 2nd to one of greatest coaches of all time. Is that sackable offence?
No if we happy with finishing in the top 4 every season but yes if the club is ambitious and wants to actually win trophies and not continually flopping in the champions league group stages which actually makes finishing in the top 4 an even more hollow achievement than it already is

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
No if we happy with finishing in the top 4 every season but yes if the club is ambitious and wants to actually win trophies and not continually flopping in the champions league group stages which actually makes finishing in the top 4 an even more hollow achievement than it already is
People said he'd not make top 4 in his first full season because he was a PE teacher and took Cardiff down. He came 3rd.

They then said he'd struggle last year to match it as it was a fluke. We came 2nd.

We have now added Sancho, Ronaldo and Varane to the team that came 2nd.

Keep doubting him. He keeps proving people wrong.

LVG didn't finish 2nd. Jose did once but he didn't come 3rd in his other season. So Ole had already surpassed two of the all time greats in league finishes.

We can't keep sacking managers and starting again. Ole deserves to see this out now and see if he can take us there.

Lee565

People said he'd not make top 4 in his first full season because he was a PE teacher and took Cardiff down. He came 3rd.

They then said he'd struggle last year to match it as it was a fluke. We came 2nd.

LVG didn't finish 2nd. Jose did once but he didn't come 3rd in his other season. So Ole had already surpassed two of the all time greats in league finishes.

We can't keep sacking managers and starting again. Ole deserves to see this out now and see if he can take us there.
Why do you have to start again as long as get an upgrade that suits the squad of players we have? That is were we have gone wrong in the past.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.

How can you not doubt him when you see the decisions he makes and the results of those decisions?
When AWB saw red the other night I thought it was a no brainer, Ronaldo should have been off not Sancho.Then bringing on Varane for DVdB?
Daft .
Sticking Lingard in for Fred? Daft. And that’s just one game.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Why do you have to start again as long as get an upgrade that suits the squad of players we have? That is were we have gone wrong in the past.
Tell me who. We are 4 games into a new season so a lot of managers are a bit busy right now. If we were going to replace him then the time has been and gone now. The season has started and he's got a new contract.

Time to pull your big boy pants on and get behind him. We are top of the league. Enjoy it.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
How can you not doubt him when you see the decisions he makes and the results of those decisions?
When AWB saw red the other night I thought it was a no brainer, Ronaldo should have been off not Sancho.Then bringing on Varane for DVdB?
Daft .
Sticking Lingard in for Fred? Daft. And that’s just one game.
He could have done all those things and we'd have still been up against it. When you play away in the CL it's not easy. When you play away with ten men it's incredibly hard.

Did you see the Chelsea Westbrom game in April. Chelsea lost 5-2 at home to relegated team. Why? They had Thiago Silva sent off in first half.

Football is like that at times. If the opposition play the extra man well by pressing and stretching the play it's virtually impossible to stop.

MadMike

We can't keep sacking managers and starting again
. Ole deserves to see this out now and see if he can take us there.

Well, two things, focusing on the bolded...

Firstly, league finishes aren't the only thing that matters. Ole hasn't won anything yet, whereas Mourinho did (and I hated that guy). Nor has he reached Mourinho's highest points tally yet. This is not to say that Mourinho was better or to go on a dick measuring contest between the two. But it's fair to say that apart from the squad rebuild, Ole hasn't achieved anything spectacular yet and the jury is still out on whether he is the man who can take us to the next level of winning major trophies.

Secondly, you don't have to start again if you sack a manager. Chelsea disprove that theory every 2nd year. It's majorly outdated to think so.

I don't want him sacked. Not now anyway, it's the start of a new season and we're at the top ffs. But he needs to show he can take this team to the next level of delivering trophies. The investment in the squad during his tenure has been huge. It's fair to say that we have an elite squad now. Ole will very soon have to prove that he can rise to being an elite manager himself. He'll need to in order deliver titles, you can't fluke your way to them.

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Top after 4 games means nothing.
Doesn't mean we will win the league, no, but if you sacked a manager after 4 games when they are top of the PL it doesn't look good does it?

What is the message being sent there?

The over reaction to Tuesday has been staggering. It's like you've never seen a game of football before where a team has a man sent off. We never lose that game 11v11. Never.

fergieisold

It would be amazing. I think posters should sign up to be banned if he wins the league.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
8 years without a title challenge. Let's blame Ole.
Football is not all about PL, you know? There are CL, cups and super cups. You can win something of that. But again there you can play against mighty Villareal and Basaksehir. Can't beat that with this squad.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Football is not all about PL, you know? There are CL, cups and super cups. You can win something of that. But again there you can play against mighty Villareal and Basaksehir. Can't beat that with this squad.
Who is to say we won't?

Villarreal beat us on pens. It was disappointing of course but penalties are a lottery. We didn't get outplayed did we?

There's been improvement each season and the squad continues to get better.

NZT-One

You really are*.... I am so curious how and where you spend the last years following football when you consider the United edition of LVG and Mourinho as "alltime greats". It is weird, because it is often noted, that not having a big name should be hold against Ole, while LVG and Mourinho have been "alltime greats" ...................................... because of their big names. Am I the only one who thats a bit inconsequential? It feels like these two are a gift to you now, because it is so easy to be "at least better than them".

Such things are difficult to understand, same as that it seems a bit weird to me, that us being top of the table last January doesn't meant we should have mounted a more courageous title challenge while us being top of the table after 4 matches this year means that that people who criticize are mostly weird and impatient.

In case you want to come back with something, please do not come up with the "we came 3rd and 2nd"-line, I know you seemingly have it on copy-paste today based on how often I read it in the last hours. I am sure, you will find more arguments than that.

About the rest of the debate: I am personally against even thinking of sacking the manager if you have no idea how to replace him. The recent past has shown, that we can get a way worse manager. We do not want to redo old mistakes by being guided by emotional reactions.
However, somebody asked a pretty reasonable question - if we are still unsure if the current manager is able to bring us to the next level, why not try to find somebody who could? I know, this sentiment doesn't bode well and I don't like this pragmatic way of thinking as well but at such a level a certain extent of pragmatism and ruthlessness is essential. It is good to have faith, but it should turn to blind faith. Dragging things out can have just as many negative consequences.

I hope the few calls for imminent sacking die out, they are just creating a bad atmosphere that will not do anything that isn't bad. But I also hope, the calls to be more reasonable to each other are taken to the heart by some of the very enthusiastic supporters as well.

Edit: I am not a native speaker, I understood calling someone a weapon would be more on the light banter side of things. I had no intention of insulting the other poster, excuse me in case you initially thought differently.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
People are focusing too much on the game against Young Boys. That result has certainly provoked an increase in criticism but the specific things we're criticising have been present in more games than that, including games we won. Even in the Wolves and Newcastle games you could point to elements of our play directly related to how we're coached that are sub-par, so it's not just a reaction to a bad result.

But of course if people point that out after a win rather than a defeat the counter-argument just switches from "you're just overreacting to a defeat and jumping on the manager" to "you're spoiled and complaining even when we win". Meanwhile the underlying issues rumble on regardless of the most recent result.

MadMike

But of course if people point that out after a win rather than a defeat the counter-argument just switches from "you're just overreacting to a defeat and jumping on the manager" to "you're spoiled and complaining even when we win". Meanwhile the underlying issues rumble on regardless of the most recent result.
Well put

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Look at this attitude...... almost like you want us to lose to be proven right.

Wouldn't know the meaning of supporter mate.
Yeah, right. Nice logic.
Ok, lets do it like this. If we win title, i will stay away from his thread and (gladly) leave last post that i was so wrong about him. If we finish without trophy, you do the same. :)

RedDevil@84

Villarreal beat us on pens. It was disappointing of course but penalties are a lottery. We didn't get outplayed did we?
Whoa!! Don't even bring up Villareal. Ole literally froze like a deer in headlights and could not make up his mind to what changes he could do for feckin 100 minutes. Despite us mustering a grand 2 shots on target or something. The game was lost there.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Yeah, right. Nice logic.
Ok, lets do it like this. If we win title, i will stay away from his thread and (gladly) leave last post that i was so wrong about him. If we finish without trophy, you do the same. :)
If we come 2nd by a few PTS and challenge for the title I wouldn't see that as failure.

This season I DO want us to challenge all the way. Winning it can't be guaranteed with anyone at the helm I hate to break it to you.

3 of Klopp, Pep, Tuchel and Ole are going to fail to win it this season ultimately.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Whoa!! Don't even bring up Villareal. Ole literally froze like a deer in headlights and could not make up his mind to what changes he could do for feckin 100 minutes. Despite us mustering a grand 2 shots on target or something. The game was lost there.
Bayer Leverkusen knocked us out once under Fergie. So did Porto. So did Dortmund.

Athletic Bilbao knocked us out of Europa under Fergie. Bielsa masterclass it was called.

How did that happen under the greatest manager of all time. It's called football.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The over reaction to Tuesday has been staggering. It's like you've never seen a game of football before where a team has a man sent off. We never lose that game 11v11. Never.
I see this point a lot in these discussions and it's deeply disingeneous. You know full well that people aren't criticizing Ole over the Young Boys game alone. And even in that game, people are not just criticizing that the game was lost, or even just the bit after the red card.

People see United's performance in that game (also the first part) and Ole's in-game tactical decisions as typical of Ole's tenure as United's manager, and as proof that there continues to be an underlying issue with his work that has not changed and will continue to hold United back.

You can disagree with that, of course, but at least discuss the actual arguments rather than a straw man you (and others) put up.

MadMike

Bayer Leverkusen knocked us out once under Fergie. So did Porto. So did Dortmund.

Athletic Bilbao knocked us out of Europa under Fergie. Bielsa masterclass it was called.

How did that happen under the greatest manager of all time. It's called football.
If you're gonna compare managers on their lows, you'll have to compare them on their highs too. Something tells me this isn't as favourable as you might think it is.

Amir

And maybe the managers ineptitude is a result of those who persist with him. Maybe we should look at the wider picture. It all comes back to the club structure and ultimately the owners and their priorities. Is Ole doing well in those parameters. Results on their own suggest he is.

What is the solution?
Indeed. If there is blame, then the one's most responsible are those who run the club and decide who to hire.

Unfortunately, owners tend to come and go a lot less than managers...

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If you're gonna compare managers on their lows, you'll have to compare them on their highs too. Something tells me this isn't as favourable as you might think it is.
Well nobody is saying he's on a par with Fergie. Nobody is. That's not the point of that comment and you know it. It's showing that the best team quite often in football doesn't win. If they did always win we wouldn't watch it in the numbers we do.

Villarreal knew they had the weaker team so they had a game plan of sitting deep and giving up the ball. It's a gameplay that has worked a lot for us against City in previous seasons. It was hardly masterful tactics but it can be effective.

MadMike

I see this point a lot in these discussions and it's deeply disingeneous. You know full well that people aren't criticizing Ole over the Young Boys game alone. And even in that game, people are not just criticizing that the game was lost, or even just the bit after the red card.

People see United's performance in that game (also the first part) and Ole's in-game tactical decisions as typical of Ole's tenure as United's manager, and as proof that there continues to be an underlying issue with his work that has not changed and will continue to hold United back.

You can disagree with that, of course, but at least discuss the actual arguments rather than a straw man you (and others) put up.
It's more than that. It's like @sullydnl said. If you criticise the performance on a defeat, then you'll be told you're overreacting or waiting (hoping even) for a defeat to criticise the manager. You're not a "true supporter". Tut, tut, tut. But if you criticise the performance on a victory, then you're the spoiled cry-baby that'll never be satisfied with anything.

There's never a good time to criticise. They will never engage on the actual points. They think you should only support and think of positive thoughts. That's what a "true supporter"(tm) does.

There's no arguing against that level of dogmatism. It's like trying to discuss planetary orbits with a flat earther, some times.

Last edited:

Shimo

People are focusing too much on the game against Young Boys. That result has certainly provoked an increase in criticism but the specific things we're criticising have been present in more games than that, including games we won. Even in the Wolves and Newcastle games you could point to elements of our play directly related to how we're coached that are sub-par, so it's not just a reaction to a bad result.

Agreed that too much overreaction on the result of the game. Also in agreement with the rest.

What can be though taken from the game is our lack of ability to keep possession when pressed. There was a brief period in the second half where we did it but, then just fell back into the habit of ceding possession and letting them have the ball. Yes, it's tough to do it with 10 men but, on our broadcast, commentator said we should be able to at least do better despite being a man down in that we have the better ball players.

It's not just about the Young Boys game, it's something very common even with 11 men, when we get put under pressure, we rarely are able to take charge and take the sting out of the opponent by getting a hold of the ball and passing amongst us. That has got to do with training/coaching for which I think most of our focus in being around being more direct and more individual magic rather than moving the ball around quickly in possession. We seemed to do that so rarely yet when we do, like the 2nd goal against Newcastle, we look so much more dangerous. Most of the time, everyone is taking 3-4 touches and looking down at the ball when receiving it before they look up to see what they want to do next. Which is why when pressed, we seem so flustered.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
[/QUOTE]
If you criticise the performance on a defeat, then you'll be told you're overreacting or waiting (hoping even) for a defeat to criticise the manager. You're not a "true supporter". Tut, tut, tut. But if you criticise the performance on a victory, then you're the spoiled cry-baby that'll never be satisfied with anything.

There's never a good time to criticise. They will never engage in the actual points. They think you should only support and think of positive thoughts. That's what a true support does.

There's no arguing against that level of dogmatism. It's like trying to discuss planetary orbits with a flat earther some times.
[/QUOTE]
Maybe we can use rotation. 3 days in a week Ole outers post, 3 days Ole inners and on sunday thread locked. :D

RedDevil@84

Ya right. SAF was sitting and not making any subs and hoping for the best in those games.