We are an awfully coached team

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Why even put KDB on when you can just coach patterns of play and not rely on individual brilliance.

Shiva87

No, we're poorly coached because we struggle to break teams down in most games and rely on individual brilliance to score most of our goals.

It's why we always look like shit when Pogba/Bruno isn't scoring or assisting and the whole midfield looks clueless on what they're supposed to do beyond passing it to them.
Okay. I don't really understand this 'reliance on individual brilliance stuff'. Yes we do. And we are coached to create situations for our players to show their individual brilliance.

Maybe coaching can be better, maybe not. But our results for the last 2 seasons clearly show that we over performed compared to the relative quality of our squad (when looked at man to man against Chelsea, Liverpool, City, Spurs and even Leicester at one point).

Its not a crime in football for good players to show individual brilliance. Also, it's not like Jose's teams where the whole team defends and then relies on 2-3 moments to show brilliance.

We are very direct and our forwards are encouraged to try the exceptional passes or shots when they can. Thats also a part of coaching.

Where were all these 'moments of individual brilliance' under our previous managers. You think Ole has nothing to do with it?

And, btw don't say he has a better squad because literally that can be said only for 4 games, and no one wins a trophy in the first 4 games of a season.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
This thread was buzzing when we drew away at Southampton. I suppose City are awfull coached too.
1 shot on target for the entire game. What a well coached team with consistent patterns of play! They should have won that game 9-0, with the number of triangles they created in midfield. Please call the professional judges to score that game properly.
HAHA.

City draw against Southampton at home.

11 shots, 1 on target.

BETTER COACHING INDEEDDDDDD.
I wish we had Pep who mops the floor with teams like Southhamton, no questions asked.
City played mid week and rested some of their top players in De Bryune, Mahrez, and foden. They still played much better football then what we produced when we played Southampton. You can also make an argument that city was hurt by not playing without a striker this game, but then I know some United fan will counter argue that we have been playing without a midfield even though Fred and mctominay are natural midfielder. So, I guess what city weakness is without an striker is similiar to our weakness in in holding mid role. Regardless, this argument isn’t about result, but moreso about performance and it is easy to see which team performed better against Southampton,

Raven

City played mid week and rested some of their top players in De Bryune, Mahrez, and foden. They still played much better football then what we produced when we played Southampton. You can also make an argument that city was hurt by not playing without a striker this game, but then I know some United fan will counter argue that we have been playing without a midfield even though Fred and mctominay are natural midfielder. So, I guess what city weakness is without an striker is similiar to our weakness in in holding mid role. Regardless, this argument isn’t about result, but moreso about performance and it is easy to see which team performed better against Southampton,
What about your boy's heroic draw with Club Brugges though?

Shiva87

Did you actually watch the game today? City was exposed to so many counters. They would have lost today if Southampton showed some quality in those moments. Yes, they had positional advantage on the pitch but that was about it. They definitely didn't perform better!

meamth

Excuses is fine here, but no excuse for Ole.

So what? They dominating possession for feck all. 1 shot on target showed that even teams with style of play can produce shocking performances. That's what we're trying to argue here.

The agenda against Ole is that, when we failed to win, it's all down to coaching and no style of play. Which is fecking stupid, time and time again.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
What about your boy's heroic draw with Club Brugges though?
One again performance metric rather than result. Psg played well, but wasn’t clinical enough. Not sure what this got to do with this conversation though.

Did you actually watch the game today? City was exposed to so many counters. They would have lost today if Southampton showed some quality in those moments. Yes, they had positional advantage on the pitch but that was about it. They definitely didn't perform better!
yes, I did watch the game. Southampton pressed well and stopped city from building from the back like they typically do. Ederson wasn’t as busy in goal and both side lack predator instinct, in particular man city as grelish and cancelo would put in some good crosses without no one at the end of it. A game like this showcase why the lack of natural striker will hurt Manchester city a lot this season. Not sure why pep put Jesus out wide, so perhaps it was just a bad tactical decision. However, if Jesus and Torres are Manchester city go to strikers, then that problem we saw today will continue unless similiar to last season, the midfielder contributes by supporting runs into the box.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Which team performed better? City had 1 shot on target and failed to score. I could easily argue that we performed better.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Okay. I don't really understand this 'reliance on individual brilliance stuff'. Yes we do. And we are coached to create situations for our players to show their individual brilliance.

Maybe coaching can be better, maybe not. But our results for the last 2 seasons clearly show that we over performed compared to the relative quality of our squad (when looked at man to man against Chelsea, Liverpool, City, Spurs and even Leicester at one point).

Its not a crime in football for good players to show individual brilliance. Also, it's not like Jose's teams where the whole team defends and then relies on 2-3 moments to show brilliance.

We are very direct and our forwards are encouraged to try the exceptional passes or shots when they can. Thats also a part of coaching.

Where were all these 'moments of individual brilliance' under our previous managers. You think Ole has nothing to do with it?

And, btw don't say he has a better squad because literally that can be said only for 4 games, and no one wins a trophy in the first 4 games of a season.
Because we have a history under Ole of overplaying players until they're too tired to perform and our form struggles?

And the fact that we've no alternative when the stars aren't performing?

Funny how van Gaal and Jose doesn't have those moment of individual brilliance like you mention and they still manage to average around the same points in the league as Ole.

I just want Ole to have a backup option to when Bruno/Pogba isn't playing well but apparently that seems to be asking for too much.

Raven

One again performance metric rather than result. Psg played well, but wasn’t clinical enough. Not sure what this got to do with this conversation though.

yes, I did watch the game. Southampton pressed well and stopped city from building from the back like they typically do. Ederson wasn’t as busy in goal and both side lack predator instinct, in particular man city as grelish and cancelo would put in some good crosses without no one at the end of it. A game like this showcase why the lack of natural striker will hurt Manchester city a lot this season. Not sure why pep put Jesus out wide, so perhaps it was just a bad tactical decision. However, if Jesus and Torres are Manchester city go to strikers, then that problem we saw today will continue unless similiar to last season, the midfielder contributes by supporting runs into the box.
Ah yes, Man City were so much better than us against Southampton with their 0 goals and 1 shot on goal. Why weren't PSG clinical? Actually, I suppose they only had Messi, Neymar and Mbappe up top.

Shiva87

Agree with all that. Then I guess our only disagreement is that they performed better than united.

The United

I thought the patterns of play were good in that game.

Other teams can learn those from Soto. Their passing all the way to final 3rd was pretty slick.

Shiva87

I just want Ole to have a backup option to when Bruno/Pogba isn't playing well but apparently that seems to be asking for too much.
That's a fair criticism. This is the nuance that is hard to find on this forum these days. He needs to make subs to give others a chance when these two aren't performing well.

But in all honesty, he didn't have many options. And if Van De Beek wasn't performing well in training (getting bullied of the ball) then I understand his reluctance last season. This season, there will be no excuse. There are many options.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Excuses. Excuses and all I see is yet more excuses.

They were at home and managed 1 shot on target. Pathetic result and performance. You're attempting to dress up a turd.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
The more I think about our squad and the deficiencies in coaching...is there a 'system' where it doesn't really matter?

Pep, Klopp and Tuchel are all about the system, buying players that fit it, adhering to it and being disicplined. But is there another way to success? Go more down the motivated, physically powerful talented group of players that through ability and will can win matches? That feels to me like what we're after here. And tbh it would make sense for Ole to like that - it's how many of Fergie's teams were built. Excellent defence, excellent attack some people in the middle who sometimes connect the two. It's less predictable, less controlled but if you get the right personalities and couple them with the right fitness levels it might work.

I think that's what we have to hope for with Ole and these players. Fred and Pogba are never going to be Xavi and Iniesta. But they can still be an overwhelming force.
There is no other way if your rivals have squad on the same level. The differences in quality are not playing a bit role. The system, coaching, however you call it do make a difference.
I do agree with your description of midfield under Fergie, since Ronaldo departure I felt like he didn't care that much about what happens in central areas. I think football changed around that time, more weight was put on midfield and it seems this trend never got to United - and Ole is another example of that.

Following this logic and using extreme example, "pass it to Ronaldo" can be labeled as coaching. You don't need a whole staff to come up with instructions like that, but at the same time, since we do have a bunch of people hired to do the coaching, I'd expect our game to improve with time / games.
Improvement under Ole comes from buying and developing players, he gets all the credit for Shaw, McTominay, Fred, Bruno, Greenwood etc. But that's about it, we're still playing very rigid, simple football. It doesn't work well against well organized teams.
Nothing wrong with relying on individuals to win you games, coaching is required to make a better use of them.

Ole has built a good squad, so in my eyes if we win because of individual brilliance then kudos to him. But I'm pretty sure we're not winning the next Wolves game and once that happens the manager is to blame. I think it's fair.

big rons sovereign

There were three changes to the title in about an hour yesterday morning, they were:

"Moanchester United are an awfully supported team"
"The modmins apologise for the title edit that implied the moaners were moaning and now fully accept that Ole is worse than Hitler"
"Sack Ole, sell Ronaldo, appoint Ted Lasso"

The second one was my favourite, this thread needed some light relief and @Wibble duly served it up!
That is pretty good.

NZT-One

That's a fair criticism. This is the nuance that is hard to find on this forum these days. He needs to make subs to give others a chance when these two aren't performing well.

But in all honesty, he didn't have many options. And if Van De Beek wasn't performing well in training (getting bullied of the ball) then I understand his reluctance last season. This season, there will be no excuse. There are many options.
There is the issue right there: somebody talks about a backup option and you immediately look for other players. That isn't what the user meant (i assume). He meant that it would be good if would have a few structures in place to be able to score when our brightest players aren't up to their best.

Nobody was saying that we are the only team in the world to make use of individual talent, that would be stupid especially seeing the talent we have in the team. But todays football isn't only all about individual players or how would you explain the success (especially in creating chances) of teams like Leeds or Brighton last season. Our competitors have that plus great individuals. Sure, that doesn't guarantee wins 10 out of 10 but having these things in place surely increases your chances of success. Hence the trophies Chelsea, City and Liverpool were bringing in. Man United can have success without these things, but why make it harder than it needs to be? Why is it alright to ignore stuff that can increase performances for teams with lesser players?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Been a fan for 40 years. Love Ole and always will.

This said, I just am not seeing it after nearly 3 years. Squad quality is hugely better but we start most games badly and I'm sat there scratching my head as to why I rarely see us dominate the game for more than 15 minute spells.

I'm already pretty certain we will not finish higher than 3rd this season and absolutely will not win any of the other trophies.

He's done a great job of turning us back on course from the end of the Jose era but I can't see it getting any better than 3rd/4th.

Just my opinion.
Are you a local fan?

saeed

i checked now and realized that brugge had more shot and shot on target than psg.

ChaddyP

Is jesus not a striker anymore? swore he started the match

Flytan

Atletico Madrid didn't win with 10 men today. Well 'drilled' team also.

But its okay.
They won La Liga last year. They get a few excuses, same.for city, you don't get leeway when your entire existence as a manager has been mediocre at best with no trophies

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
They get a few excuses, same.for city, you don't get leeway when your entire existence as a manager has been mediocre at best with no trophies
Good facts.

wolvored

City last 3 years umpteen trophies. They are allowed a bad game every now and again. Wish we had their record.

Matriac

Yes, these managers had won things before 50, actually much earlier. For example, Sir Matt Busby was born in 1909, won first division in 1952, ie at 43, but he also won the FA cup in 1948 when he was only 39. SAF won the European Cup with Aberdeen when he was 42, the Scottish top division at 39. Wenger won the French first division with Monaco when he was 39.

Most of those who win after 50 also won things when they were younger. If anyone knows of any "late bloomers" who won nothing before 50... I'd be interested to know!
Interesting to see that they all won their first titles in their own national leagues. I guess it's natural to remain (or return) there at the start of their managerial careers before tackling bigger clubs.

I know nobody rates the Norwegian league, but Ole won the league there at 38 and 39 with a team that had never won the league before (the national cup at 40).
Molde also won the league both times the following season Ole left for a bigger gig, so one could argue that they still saw the fruits of his labor in building a long-term squad.

He's 48 now, will be 49 in February, so remains to see if he can bag a big trophy outside of his national league before he turns 50. :)

Olecurls99

City last 3 years umpteen trophies. They are allowed a bad game every now and again. Wish we had their record.
Rome wasn't built in a day.

Let's keep sacking managers until someone gives us instant success.

City and Chelsea are husks. We hopefully are different but listening to some of our fans, I'm not sure.

Last edited: