We are an awfully coached team

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am enjoying every game. Some less, some more. I'm not here to act anything but it doesn't look good when we need to win games, we have fans in this place just throwing everything against Solskjaer and staff. Even wanting us to lose.

I think you know pretty well what difference is between throwing insults and discussing tactics.
Show me one my insult to Ole. One. Only one. I have 1000 posts about Ole. Surely you will find one. Go...

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Mostly think we should be enjoying the match tonight but if we're being critical.....

We take way too many shots from bad positions. I think Rashford alone took four 0.05xG shots within the first hour of the game. Whether it's a symptom of a problem (not creating enough so players have to resort to bad shots) or a problem in itself (players aren't being coached to not take shots in those positions) it's a consistent and very bad feature of our play.

90 + 5min

Show me one my insult to Ole. One. Only one. I have 1000 posts about Ole. Surely you will find one. Go...
Why do you think this is about you?

Just look at game threads and posts. We even have a thread actually people wanting us to lose.

Anustart89

Mostly think we should be enjoying the match tonight but if we're being critical.....
If you're critical after a loss it's "here they come after a bad result".
If you're critical after a win it's "don't be so miserable, enjoy the win ffs"

The comeback doesn't change the fact that we were terrible in the first half, although I will say that even during the first half, as miserable as we looked at times, we did create some very, very good chances, albeit with a bit of help by their Leeds-esque defending, which is more than we've done for many of our poor performances this season.

NZT-One

I am enjoying every game. Some less, some more. I'm not here to act anything but it doesn't look good when we need to win games, we have fans in this place just throwing everything against Solskjaer and staff. Even wanting us to lose.

I think you know pretty well what difference is between throwing insults and discussing tactics.
Maybe you don't to act anything but it surely looks like you do. You coming in here to "note the bad amount of negativity" won't change anything. It isn't the supposedly hate for Ole that brings people in here, it is the showings of the team. A good result doesn't start an endless summer, just like a negative result starts the winter. It is madness. But this cycle of shit won't start as long as both sides take the ride as soon as the possibility is there to "rub it into their faces".

Good advice: if this threads makes you feel uncomfortable, leave it as it is. Don't come in here, I agree, it can be a concentrated dose of negativity. But it is for a reason, other threads for example about the man managing are mostly positive - both only highlight one aspect. So just accept that some stuff is bad and if it bothers you, don't go into certain threads.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven

The comeback doesn't change the fact that we were terrible in the first half, although I will say that even during the first half, as miserable as we looked at times, we did create some very, very good chances, albeit with a bit of help by their Leeds-esque defending, which is more than we've done for many of our poor performances this season.
This is very true.

Womp

idiot
Look at all the knee jerk #OleIn fans. How the turn tables.
With how uncommon wins seemingly are for us this season, they are the ones looking like the knee jerkers :D

Jokes aside, this result doesn't really change anything., It didn't teach us anything new. We look quite good when there is space for us to operate in - where we struggle is against teams that are well drilled defensively.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

I've said the very same in this thread myself.

At the same time, if we don't enjoy comeback wins like this when they happen then it'll be a very long season, because (if we're all right about Solskjaer) we're unlikely to have that many other highs over the next few months. And in this case even if people want Solskjaer gone, they should still desperately want us to be in the CL in early 2022, even if they want a new manager in charge by then. So the result is a big deal.

Nothing wrong with pointing out flaws after a win but my general advice would be to get as much joy out of nights like this when they come around if you think they'll be few and far between. Plenty of time to dissect performances later.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
So many clueless first half displays followed by spirited comebacks that you have to wonder if we even prepare for these matches.

Maybe Ole should do his half time team talks before the game.

passing-wind

I just can't understand the consensus of fans that are amazed at "negativity" on the forum. I prefer criticism as a more refined description. If Solskjaer was doing his job to a standard of what is determined to be successful at a top English club, the mood amongst supporters would be far less palpable and have a greater sense of endearment.

Do you think a large summation of Liverpool fans had the same courtesy of complaints towards Klopp when he reached the UCL final / winning the competition compared to when the team was underachieving ? What changed the dynamics of that situation the fans or Klopp himself ? It's not the fans that need to change their perspective, its that Solskjaer needs to deliver he is the bottom line in every scenario.

Now personal insults and offensive language is completely outside of what I'm highlighting, these things have no place in anything as they are vile.

Gasolin

Many things that I don't get with the team right now, and one of them is very simple: why can't they play like the 2nd half all the time?
It's almost as if they want to save energy in the first half. Is there a reason for that?
The only difference for me was that in the 2nd half, all our players ran much more. We basically started pressing more, moving more and that created space.

Why not do that all the way from the minute 1? Or is it just physically not possible? This is something I cannot understand.
And as a result, our first half is often very shaky.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
So many clueless first half displays followed by spirited comebacks that you have to wonder if we even prepare for these matches.

Maybe Ole should do his half time team talks before the game.
Interesting thing is that we don't just attack way more after we go behind but we also attack way less after we go ahead:

I couldn't even begin to tell you why we're like this, game state just seems to have a massive effect on our team.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Interesting thing is that we don't just attack way more after we go behind but we also attack way less after we go ahead:

I couldn't even begin to tell you why we're like this, game state just seems to have a massive effect on our team.
This is just a serious indictment on Ole. Play to win 1 nil at all costs.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Many things that I don't get with the team right now, and one of them is very simple: why can't they play like the 2nd half all the time?
Because by then we had Ronaldo, Bruno, Cavani, Pogba, Rashford and Sancho all on the pitch… and you simply can’t play with all your attackers on from minute one, like you can when you’re 0-2 down and have to throw caution to the wind…. The only notable time we ever played with Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez and Berba together was when we were also 0-2 down to Spurs that time. You just can’t do that from the start; because its suicidal tactics. But as we have no actual tactics to speak of right now, it tends to look amazing in comparison when it pays off

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Because by then we had Ronaldo, Bruno, Cavani, Pogba, Rashford and Sancho all on the pitch… and you simply can’t play with all your attackers on from minute one, like you can when you’re 0-2 down and have to throw caution to the wind…. The only notable time we ever played with Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez and Berba together was when we were also 0-2 down to Spurs that time. You just can’t do that from the start; because its suicidal tactics. But as we have no actual tactics to speak of right now, it tends to look amazing in comparison when it pays off
Yea its like betting. Most of the time the house wins, but when it comes off you think it is brilliant.

Gasolin

But I don't think it was a tactical issue. We stayed with Scott and Fred and Rashford opened the score, but we simply were much more active on the field, much more energetic. That's the only thing that is asked of that team: play with drive and energy so that you can get the ball back and move it fast forward, why is that such a difficulty to do from the first minute?

RopersReturn

I think the problems much simpler than the majority of comments would have you believe.
Drop Maguire as Captain and give the armband to Ronaldo and watch the rest of the team grow in confidence.

Flytan

Of course I'm happy we had a comeback win,

But holy shit guys we fell down 2-0 at home to Atalanta who were missing 5 starters and had no sleep. How on earth was it us who started off slowly? How on earth do we keep giving up set piece goals when we just hired a set piece coach?

Yes the game was entertaining, because it was a clusterfeck (like his ole stint as manager). Don't know about you but I'd rather win some games without going down first, looking clueless for a half, and being booed by the home crowd. He still needs to go yesterday. Unfortunately some fans on here think this game redeems him when in reality it sums up why he isn't a good manager.

Mockney

But I don't think it was a tactical issue. We stayed with Scott and Fred
McTominey came off for Pogba on the hour… and we’ve already seen that playing with Pogba in CM from the start doesn’t work…it was a situational thing. We had the momentum and crowd behind us for the last 30-40 mins but in all honesty we should never have been in such desperate circumstances against the 3rd best team in the group at home. We still need a result against these and/or Villarreal away and we barely eeked past them both at home thanks to Ronaldo…. The guy a lot of our fans seem to think is holding us back, for some reason!

The real question is why we didn’t play with similar urgency late on in games like the Europa League final.

Last edited:

RopersReturn

Biggest problem is Maguires poor lack of leadership and Lindelöfs average ability at best. Coupled with the confusion between Fred and McTominay playing just front, thanks to Oles dithering (credit for bringing Ronaldo back), and not simply bringing in a wclass Defensive Midfielder who can bring the ball out properly and recycle passes with ease and confidence.

Foxbatt

We are a poorly coached team. When you have world class players they will do something like this. It does not mean we are coached well. Decent players playing well as a team is good coaching.

RopersReturn

Can't string 3 passes together. Every single fecking game I've watched this year bar Leeds and Newcastle the feckers can't string 3 passes together. Absolutely useless coaching/management. Get a god damn manager who works on passing in training.
Hear what you’re saying along with majority. My only concern is who do we replace him (Ole) with? I don’t want them to offer the job to Steve Bruce!

Abraxas

It's absolutely bizarre the way the manager seems to be able to produce results right when everybody is on his back and it feels like rock bottom.

There is also a parallel with how we start matches and how many come backs we had to produce last season, and yet again tonight.

It makes you wonder why things are working this way. It is way, way beyond a fluke at this point, it is something psychological. I think if you could reproduce the desire to get about the pitch and pass the ball faster more often we would do far better. You can go on about patterns of play and styles and maybe the absence of them meaning we can only produce this now and again, but actually top sides have that attitude every week independent of style.

redshaw

You see the fear and pressure. We have nothing to lose when we're 1-2 goals behind and drop any cautious game plan. Mentally we're ill-prepared, nervous and cautious about conceding but end up conceding. Ole is always throwing defenders on to get over the line as he's desperate to keep that lead. The 3-3 with Everton he's there throwing on more defenders at 3-2, one of them makes a stupid tackle too far up near the halfway line and they get the chance to launch one to make it 3-3. Desperate when it doesn't have to be.

He's' been like this ever since we hit 3rd place after taking over from Jose, we as a team and management collapsed when we got up to 3rd place and ended up 6th. We tightened up and changed tactics. There was more than a manager bounce going on. All our managers have had the fear of not making the top 4, LVG Moyes and Jose.

Gasolin

McTominey came off for Pogba on the hour… and we’ve already seen that playing with Pogba in CM from the start doesn’t work…it was a situational thing. We had the momentum and crowd behind us for the last 30-40 mins but in all honesty we should never have been in such desperate circumstances against the 3rd best team in the group at home. We still need a result against these and/or Villarreal away and we barely eeked past them both at home thanks to Ronaldo…. The guy a lot of our fans seem to think is holding us back, for some reason!

The real question is why we didn’t play with similar urgency late on in games like the Europa League final.
You're right, but what I am trying to say is that this is one of those situations where nothing really changed tactically for us except the intensity. Higher intensity with the same tactics = we can hurt any team in the world. Or maybe my view is too simplistic.

Foxbatt

You're right, but what I am trying to say is that this is one of those situations where nothing really changed tactically for us except the intensity. Higher intensity with the same tactics = we can hurt any team in the world. Or maybe my view is too simplistic.
I don't think we can hurt any team. We sure can hurt a lot of teams. But the top teams have better coaches and world class players as good as we have.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This thread is years old. Things have really come to a head. The objective truth is we were always heading here under this coach.
A team that depends on individual skill will fail in the end.

King_Cantona07

Lacks game plan, selects average incompetent players (again) who can’t pass or understand football. Midfield bypassed and pressing not done at tight moments or in the right manner. All are coaching problems. Greenwood has been a problem and selects him again because he gives wondergoal which is our managers only hope at tactics.

Mockney

So, let’s just go over what’s happened then. After an embarrassing loss to Leicester where “things might have to change” we responded by… dropping one player… then went 0-2 at home in the first half of our next game and had to bring all our forwards on to rescue the points against the 3rd best team in our CL group.

Then we started the next game… against our biggest rivals, with ….exactly the same starting XI!…only this time instructed to press like mad, seemingly for the first time in 3 years, against the most organised pressing team in the league, purely because pundits had spent the last couple of weeks discussing how “pressing” (i.e. running more) was the magical one thing that would fix Ole’s Man Utd, for some reason.

Good shit.

Shimo

Not one person in football is smart enough to understand how well we are coached. Ole is the only one that is smart enough to see it all working out as he has planned.