We are an awfully coached team

Marwood

Our midfield really isn't that crap and it doesn't help when your manager is shifting your best passer out to the wing or has him sat on the bench today. Once upon a time SAF had Tom Cleverly holding his ground against Modric and Alonso vs Madrid. Henderson at Liverpool was deemed rubbish before Klopp came in. A manager worth his salt will squeeze much more out of this midfield.
I'd have to disagree, it is crap. Partly because of the individuals and partly because we only play two of them.

A new manager probably would instantly improve it just by playing a third guy in there. Nothing complicated in that. But he would ultimately replace the individuals as well.

I see the Cleverley comparison quite a bit. He was rubbish, it didn't work, even with SAF in charge. Henderson is no world beater but he's still a couple of levels above our choices.

Foxbatt

You watch that game and its the wide men, Bruno and your full backs that were absent IMO of course.
And the two wingers. We try to defend with the 4 defenders and two midfield players. We also do not have any structure. As Carra said United is not an academy for coaches to learn their football. We cannot play like a Sunday pub team and get away with it. There is no way in hell we can do that against a good team. Liverpool is not a good team. They are a great team.

bugmat

But why do the rest of the team seemingly get a by ball?
As said before they are scapegoats. Just like Dan James was a scapegoat when he was our only winger who actually dropped off the ball to press and defend. None of them are world class, but if you set up your players that are good (not great) to fail (by having them play 2 vs3 that changes to 2 vs 5 when their fullbacks join in) they will fail.

Verward

Ole's tactical nativity causing us these problems.
I am no coach and don't even play football manager but I feel we have too many forwards and only Bruno is expected to supply them with chances. If Ole cannot drop Ronaldo then instead of playing rashford or greenwood, he should play vdb and sancho who would be more content in creating chances for Ronaldo along side Bruno rather than thinking of burying it themselves like rashford or greenwood. I have nothing against rashford and greenwood, they both are excellent talents but this is just a tactical solution as having too many forwards is not helping us at the moment.

stw2022

When we'd play poorly under Sir Alex but persevere and get a late goal to salvage a point or win a match, despite what the stereotype is, that was few and far between. We'd usually batter teams. We might not win every game 4-0 but in the majority of the games we'd dominate with the ball, have the lions-share of chances, and generally outplay them. You do that through hard work. The boss might have celebrated those rare get-out-of-jail moments but he never worked towards them as a 'plan a'. You always got the impression once the dust had settled the focus came down to asking questions of the players about why they struggled in a game until the last. You had players like Keane who'd no doubt want answers. Yes we scored the winner in the 92nd minute and the fans went home delirious, but why couldn't we get it done earlier?

That's the kind of thing you expect from a winning manager. With Ole I get the feeling since he got here that he thinks playing poorly and fluking a win is the way it's supposed to be. The aim. The 'United way'. That's why his pre-match comments prove he was delighted with the Atalanta game. He doesn't see the 2 goal lead conceded, he just sees the comeback because he thinks that's part and parcel of who we are, moreover part of who we should be in his view. You score 2 we'll score 3. You score 5..... Even after the game there was no explanation for what went wrong but a belief from him that if we took our chances it could have been better. As if winning 6-5 would not only have been a thrilling match but how we should play football.

It seems so weird to say given how long he spent at the club but he seems to have no idea, or no appreciation, for how good sides he was part of were and why they were so good. It really wasn't because they played like shit for the majority of their games but lucked out with a last minute winner. That happened occasionally, sure. But it happened as a result of us being an exceptionally coached and talented side who opposition defenders couldn't resist for 90 minutes (95 minutes, ngl #FergieTime) - it was never the tactical intention to think 'We're Manchester United' and assume a divine right to score goals and win matches dramatically would see us through. But that's genuinely what I think he's trying to recreate.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I am no coach and don't even play football manager but I feel we have too many forwards and only Bruno is expected to supply them with chances. If Ole cannot drop Ronaldo then instead of playing rashford or greenwood, he should play vdb and sancho who would be more content in creating chances for Ronaldo along side Bruno rather than thinking of burying it themselves like rashford or greenwood. I have nothing against rashford and greenwood, they both are excellent talents but this is just a tactical solution as having too many forwards is not helping us at the moment.
:lol:The bedrock of all football tactical acumen.

Foxbatt

Sensible post. Football is a team game. Greenwood and to a lesser extent Rashford are not team players but it's The manager' s job to make them into team players.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He thinks his coaching staff are brilliant. We are totally and utterly fecked until he is sacked.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Almost all our issues this season were present and obvious last season too, they’ve just become exacerbated by the bad form of important players… it’s not like we didn’t also look like we could’ve shipped 7 goals away to Roma last season with Cavani, Fred and Bruno all on the pitch “working hard” and pressing like mad… it’s not as if we didn’t concede 4 to Liverpool in this same fecking fixture last May! And everyone pretended then it was cos Maguire was injured!

Blaming new players, lazy players, out of form players is just obsfucation… none of it helps, but it’s not the real fecking issue and everyone knows it

Sviken

There's a limit to what a manager can do. We saw that last season when Klopp lost his centrebacks. We saw it before he signed VVD and Allison.

But none of that excuses Ole. Like it's been said a million times, our midfield is crap and he's allowed it to be crap.

Liverpool's midfield isn't the greatest individually but the three at least mix well, they compliment each other. Then of course that midfield is made up for by the fullbacks mainly.
Utter nonsense. When Klopp came into the team, Liverpool started playing in a specific way. You could see his vision from the very moment he stepped in as a manager. Of course, it took some time for things to *click*, but even before they clicked he overperformed. In just 2 full seasons later he gets them to a CL final, a win later and dominance of the league. This is what a good manager can do. His squad is nothing spectacular, really.

In contrast with Ole, we're 3 full seasons in and there isn't even a notion of what style we want to play or what we're doing on the pitch, let alone getting results. Everything we do comes from some player's individual genius rather than teamplay. What pisses me off is that yesterday Liverpool simply coasted on their system. They weren't even that good, we were just pathetic. It's like the players had no idea what to do on the pitch - whether to press, to stay coherent, whether to attack or defend, where to be on the pitch. This is all down to Ole and his staff coaching skills, nothing to do with the players.

McFred is not the best midfield duo in history, but under a competent manager they can do a decent job. Our players are very good, overall, we just don't have a captain who knows how to steer the ship. We have a bunch of amateurs with zero experience at the top, led by a guy whose managerial CV is Molde and Cardiff. And in neither of the two jobs he has impressed. This is the sad reality. The manager is the linchpin that holds everything together and if the manager is below par, nothing will work. We'll still win most of our games in the league because each of our players is capable of producing at any given moment, but we're never going to achieve anything of note.

R'hllor

People were mocked for their pattern of play comments by arrogant and delusional bunch, what a combo btw. On top of that, having a cheek to actually try to switch focus on our midfield and if that doesnt work, then mention our league position last season. Seems people still dont get it, win, lose, draw there is nothing to lean on more often than not, regardles of a result.

Football whats that.

Eddy_JukeZ

It was only a matter of time before someone gave us a hiding.

We've been deplorable in practically every game this season.

This is probably the worst set of performances I can remember in a very long time.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It was only a matter of time before someone gave us a hiding.

We've been deplorable in practically every game this season.

This is probably the worst set of performances I can remember in a very long time.
Worst thing is City will do exactly the same to us, and so will Chelsea. I don't expect anything less than 3-0 loss against both. At this point fans of Watford or Burnley are probably going to be more optimistic going into games against top teams that we should be.

Marwood

Utter nonsense. When Klopp came into the team, Liverpool started playing in a specific way. You could see his vision from the very moment he stepped in as a manager. Of course, it took some time for things to *click*, but even before they clicked he overperformed. In just 2 full seasons later he gets them to a CL final, a win later and dominance of the league. This is what a good manager can do. His squad is nothing spectacular, really.

In contrast with Ole, we're 3 full seasons in and there isn't even a notion of what style we want to play or what we're doing on the pitch, let alone getting results. Everything we do comes from some player's individual genius rather than teamplay. What pisses me off is that yesterday Liverpool simply coasted on their system. They weren't even that good, we were just pathetic. It's like the players had no idea what to do on the pitch - whether to press, to stay coherent, whether to attack or defend, where to be on the pitch. This is all down to Ole and his staff coaching skills, nothing to do with the players.

McFred is not the best midfield duo in history, but under a competent manager they can do a decent job. Our players are very good, overall, we just don't have a captain who knows how to steer the ship. We have a bunch of amateurs with zero experience at the top, led by a guy whose managerial CV is Molde and Cardiff. And in neither of the two jobs he has impressed. This is the sad reality. The manager is the linchpin that holds everything together and if the manager is below par, nothing will work. We'll still win most of our games in the league because each of our players is capable of producing at any given moment, but we're never going to achieve anything of note.
So if it's "utter nonsense" to say there's a limit to what a manager can do how do you explain what happened to Liverpool last season? Why didn't they carry on being a winning machine even without their first choice centre backs? That should be possible right if there are no limits to Klopp's ability?

I don't think you actually read my post.

Real Name

Liverpool legend Carragher said things right.
United is not a place in which you learn your trade in.
Maybe it would work better if Ole had better assistants but McKenna and Carrick are learning their trade too. And best part is that Ole is not new to manager work. He has worked as a manger before and still needs help. Every manager need it, even the best ones. Manchester United should have best of the best, that includes a manager too. After 3 years its obvious Ole isnt the answer. Its on club to make a move.

Neville though, cant believe the stuff he's saying, Ole shouldnt be sacked but if he's staying we shouldnt bring better assistants too.

Resch

We have a great team, not perfectly balanced but still great. But we do not have a plan to use this players properly. Ole has one idea 4231 but no tactics behind this formation. Play as counterattacking team? Play as a high pressing team?
As long as Ole does not figure out, how this team should play, how should the players?

United needs an idea, a plan , a philosophy! Based on that every manager at United should work with his tactics, small changes of the formation, but with the same basics. And every manager, means every! Every youth team, the reserve team.... So all the youth players just slot in at the next level, they know their job, they know all the basics, because every players at the club knows them. Scouting new players would become easier, because you can change the manager, the type of players you are looking at, remain the same. And every player, every star, who joins United, would know the system, he should fit in.

red4ever 79

Everyone, everyone can see its a coaching and tactical setup issue. To have coaching issues at elite level football is so so bad. We have 3 guys all learning on the job together trying to compete against the best managers in the world.

red4ever 79

Jacob

The fact that we're rock bottom on multiple metrics clearly points to the fact that the issue is tactical first and foremost.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I think this stat needs possession stats as context. The more possession you have, the less time you do spend chasing the ball and the less tackles you make. I suspect this might make United look even worse than this without context

red4ever 79

The fact that we're rock bottom on multiple metrics clearly points to the fact that the issue is tactical first and foremost.
Exactly, and all the defensive categories as well. I was trying to find a decent pressing one as I am sure we are at the bottom of that, but cannot fine a good visual. If anyone has it, please post it here

sp_107

nice that we are close to liverpool and City here, only difference is they dont have to tackle as they dont give away ball but we give away ball and dont tackle ....deadly combination

Sviken

So if it's "utter nonsense" to say there's a limit to what a manager can do how do you explain what happened to Liverpool last season? Why didn't they carry on being a winning machine even without their first choice centre backs? That should be possible right if there are no limits to Klopp's ability?

Last season, despite Liverpool's injury crisis, they finished 3rd, 5 points behind us in Ole's best season so far. Whatever point you're trying to make with that example, it is a poor one.

Ixion

Empty stadiums made a difference last season. Anfield without the crowd is a great equaliser, and our players are bottlers so seemed to play better in front of no one.

mancan92

How's the general reaction ? Is the crowd still supporting Ole ?
I was at the game. Ole at the wheel wasn't sang one time and Ole, Ole one time I think at the beginning. The fans were more battling the Liverpool fans just trying to be louder than them. When Ole clapped the fans they didn't clap back or respond. In the Stretford end most people said he has to go and its the worst they have literally ever seen the team play.

Marwood

Last season, despite Liverpool's injury crisis, they finished 3rd, 5 points behind us in Ole's best season so far. Whatever point you're trying to make with that example, it is a poor one.
The point I made was that managers have their limits. That shouldn't be arguable really. Without the right players they can only achieve so much. Liverpool, with injuries, dropping from from first to third, going through a terrible run of results, is your proof of that. They finished close to us because we were awful in the run in. The gap should have beem way bigger. If it's utter nonsense that a manager's influence has its limits the missing players shouldn't have made a difference to their form right.

None of this is me defending Ole. He's had the time and money to sort out the playing talent. You can't coach players to pass a ball though. Pep doesn't buy cloggers and train them up. He only buys guys who fit right in. Ole at some point lost his idea of what he wanted and started buying randomly.

Sviken

I was at the game. Ole at the wheel wasn't sang one time and Ole, Ole one time I think at the beginning. The fans were more battling the Liverpool fans just trying to be louder than them. When Ole clapped the fans they didn't clap back or respond. In the Stretford end most people said he has to go and its the worst they have literally ever seen the team play.
Even with Moyes I don't remember seeing United play so bad. When Liverpool whooped us on Old Trafford, I believe, by 3-0 we were still performing. They had the better chances, but we weren't dominated or anything. This was a complete slaughter. Liverpool could have easily banged another 5 and I wouldn't have been surprised. And what pisses me off the most is that Liverpool actually didn't play that well. It was like man vs children at the local pitch. They did nothing and still managed to put 5 past us just because they felt like it. This is a sacking offence to any manager who doesn't have a credit in the bank like Fergie did. Ole is a nobody as a manager. Why is he still here, I have no idea. It sets a very bad precedent when you allow every mediocre Joe to deliver such results and not only not get sacked, but also get rewarded a brand new contract.

The point I made was that managers have their limits. That shouldn't be arguable really. Without the right players they can only achieve so much. Liverpool, with injuries, dropping from from first to third, going through a terrible run of results, is your proof of that. They finished close to us because we were awful in the run in. The gap should have beem way bigger. If it's utter nonsense that a manager's influence has its limits the missing players shouldn't have made a difference to their form right.

None of this is me defending Ole. He's had the time and money to sort out the playing talent. You can't coach players to pass a ball. Pep doesn't buy cloggers and train them up. He only buys guys who fit right in.
It's no proof at all because even though Liverpool suffered a lot last season, they were still neck and neck with us. Fergie suffered slumps, as well, that is normal. What is not normal is when we can't win a single match without looking like a bunch of amateurs for close to 4 years now. When was the last time we dominated a team? We just went out, did the 3-0 job and moved on the next? Even when we win, we look utterly shambolic and chaotic in every way. Even with Moyes we had results against the smaller teams where we looked to have just another day at the office. With Ole even when we get a big result like the 4-1 against Newcastle, it is totally undeserved. And I'm firmly on the opinion that Moyes was the worst manager in charge of United I've witnessed. Granted, since most of my life I've watched Fergie, there has not been many to choose from, but Ole is up there, for sure.

As far as whether you can coach players to pass the ball, positioning, when to press, when not to, etc. Yes, you can. You absolutely can. You cannot transform a player to become a great player or anything, but you can absolute make them play better. Conte took our rejects and made them champions. Young is no world beater, never was, but with the right coaching he can do the job. I'd argue it would be the same with Fred. He's obviously not United quality, but even he can contribute to a title winning squad, if a coach that knows what he is doing is brought in and explains to him what he needs to do, what not to do, how to play, etc. Fernandes shennanigans during the pitch are especially grating to watch as to the lack of coaching we're experiencing. No coach is gonna tolerate his 50 yard shots or mindless pressing. This is entirely on our coaching staff.

Remember when SAF won a title with Cleverley, a 30 years old Rooney, a 35 years old Carrick, a 40 years old Scholes and Buttner, Valencia, old man Pat and a defence of Johnny Evans and Smalling? You think those players are good to play for any top team? Now, SAF to me is the greatest manager in world history, but he is still no magician. These players performed because they were coached right and knew what to do. In contrast, Ole can buy the entire World starting XI and we'd still look shit. Why? It all goes back to the coaching. Which is why top managers are few and far between and the rest is filled with your Brucies, Ole's, Koemans, etc who have a very basic understanding of the game.

VivaRonaldo85

Liverpool were missing Fabinho and Thiago yesterday from their midfield and had to start with Milner, Henderson & Keita. The beauty of top class coaching is you can bring in a couple of inferior players into the same position and not notice a drop off in team performance as everyone knows their job to the second. We are so far off that it’s quite frightening.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Thanks mate.