We are so fecked! (Knee-Jerk Overload)

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
We are presumably looking at bringing in another 5 players.Can anyone here see Woodward achieving this in this transfer window.
I don't see that happening in next 3 years let alone this window.

JoaquinJoaquin

If that's the case then forget about even 6th next season.
I think we will be lumbering around 10th or 11th at Xmas and the pressure will fall on Ole. Looking at the first few months of fixtures, I can see us really struggling.

Negative Red

Ole will be gone before Christmas at this rate. At the minute he just looks like a yes man and everything we have done or haven't done is all about saving money. I have no idea what's going on with this club. We needed a couple of early signings to create some positivity and make a statement of intent. Instead we have given extensions to players that needed replacing, either with youth or new signings. I know it's there's still a way to go in the transfer window but it's worrying times indeed.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Ole will be gone before Christmas at this rate. At the minute he just looks like a yes man and everything we have done or haven't done is all about saving money. I have no idea what's going on with this club. We needed a couple of early signings to create some positivity and make a statement of intent. Instead we have given extensions to players that needed replacing, either with youth or new signings. I know it's there's still a way to go in the transfer window but it's worrying times indeed.
It could be the case regarding Ole, but I am now worried that the club is being run so badly that eventually the sort of manager we need will be put off. We have ruined the reputations of three managers and could turn a club legend into a laughing stock which pains me.

Castia

They wont admit it but there's no budget for a overhaul.

I think deep down they're praying Inter stump up £70m for Lukaku so we can re-invest that money elsewhere.

RedNed77

Has Ole actually ever said we were going to go for a full rebuild. Didn’t he actually say we’d only be looking at two or three this summer, so he can give most of the team another summer to show what they were capable of after a good pre-season?

I agree we need a bigger job doing than that, but I think most are going to have to get used to the idea that we won’t be doing a lot this summer. I can see a right back and a centre half and we’re done. It’s going to be a long and painful summer for most on here if we keep expecting 4 or 5 more world class players in. I think we all need to resign ourselves to reality now.

Negative Red

I can't think of a reason why we would keep Juan Mata other than if we knew no new players were coming in.

JoaquinJoaquin

It could be the case regarding Ole, but I am now worried that the club is being run so badly that eventually the sort of manager we need will be put off. We have ruined the reputations of three managers and could turn a club legend into a laughing stock which pains me.
Put it this way, When Ole is eventually sacked and not been backed in the Transfer market (like Jose last year) which top class manager is going to want to come to a team with a bang average squad and limited transfer funds? Absolutely no one. I think The Glazers have pulled the purstrings tighter then ever in the last 2 years.

DomesticTadpole

Has Ole actually ever said we were going to go for a full rebuild. Didn’t he actually say we’d only be looking at two or three this summer, so he can give most of the team another summer to show what they were capable of after a good pre-season?

I agree we need a bigger job doing than that, but I think most are going to have to get used to the idea that we won’t be doing a lot this summer. I can see a right back and a centre half and we’re done. It’s going to be a long and painful summer for most on here if we keep expecting 4 or 5 more world class players in. I think we all need to resign ourselves to reality now.
I think he has made that statement and everybody went crazy. He might do that, but if we are left either dropping or treading water then he might find it difficult signing the players for the next stage of the rebuild, because why would they sign for a club going nowhere when there are better options about. He has to get the first set of signings spot on to show there is a plan and progress is being made.

DomesticTadpole

Put it this way, When Ole is eventually sacked and not been backed in the Transfer market (like Jose last year) which top class manager is going to want to come to a team with a bang average squad and limited transfer funds? Absolutely no one. I think The Glazers have pulled the purstrings tighter then ever in the last 2 years.
Then the Glazers will find that Ed will struggle to get the sponsors to bring the money in. Who wants to be associated with a busted flush. We have a lot of sponsors, but I have never heard of most of them. Courting foreign market is risky because as someone has mentioned those fans in some cases follow success and will jump ship.

cloyton

They wont admit it but there's no budget for a overhaul.

I think deep down they're praying Inter stump up £70m for Lukaku so we can re-invest that money elsewhere.
Fully agree. Think the glazers are closing the purse strings with the club. Wouldn't be surprised if we end up the window with only Daniel James and maybe AWB. Going to be a painful few years for us.

clarkydaz

Also if we dont make top 4 a huge chunk of sponsorship is reduced isnt it? So you wonder what they are thinking

JoaquinJoaquin

Then the Glazers will find that Ed will struggle to get the sponsors to bring the money in. Who wants to be associated with a busted flush. We have a lot of sponsors, but I have never heard of most of them. Courting foreign market is risky because as someone has mentioned those fans in some cases follow success and will jump ship.
To be honest, I think alot of sponsors will of been put off now. Who would want to associate with a circus club like us now? If you think of it from a business point of view, the Manchester United name does not hold the same allure and prestige it once did. Pains me to say it but you want to sponsor a team like Liverpool or City who play attacking and nice football.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Having a capable manager is not a sufficient condition but it is a necessary condition.

https://www.txstate.edu/philosophy/resources/fallacy-definitions/Confusion-of-Necessary.html

Just count up the large-scale results of proven vs. non-proven managers and the risk weighted benefit of having a proven manager is clear.

Or stated in another way, the expected return (stats) from a proven manager is higher.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expected_value .

That's how bookmakers largely price their books.

Your statement is an oft repeated canard around these parts.
Your methodology is very flawed
1) proven vs non-proven needs a clear definition
2) If proven depends on winning trophies, there are a lot of other variables to account for: strength of competition, edge cases (DiMatteo), years of service, etc
3) There is an inherit selection bias since bigger clubs with more resources and tend target/hire to high more successful managers. You would expect these managers to start off with better odds to win trophies
4) I don't understand what you mean risk weighted benefit. A expectation weighted benefit would be more compelling

Eriku

No I haven't seen him and I'm honest about it, but I'm also mature enough to not post like a spoiled petulant child and will afford the kid time and see how he does before writing him off.

Both of you are standard twittah types who will run to social media if he turns out to be a class player and say he's world class by October and pretend you always rated the kid.

And Dele Alli, sure he has just a runners up medal now.

Vardy was a Sunday league player ffs and is now a Premier League winner.

Veratti played in Serie B FFS, By your incredibly stupid judgement that lower league automatically means shit he is as well...

Kante as well... He was in League 2.

So many shite players :houllier:

Just because we've bought from lower leagues doesn't mean they are automatically shite!

Really is some absolutely clueless, spoiled brats in our fan base.
Injecting nuance into the general discourse in the United forum is a fool’s errand...

I appreciate someone trying, tho’.

JoaquinJoaquin

Also if we dont make top 4 a huge chunk of sponsorship is reduced isnt it? So you wonder what they are thinking
We have already lost a huge chunk of money from Adidas, and now when we go to re-negotiate our kit sponsor they hold all the power. Basically we will have to take a reduced figure I would guess.

DomesticTadpole

To be honest, I think alot of sponsors will of been put off now. Who would want to associate with a circus club like us now? If you think of it from a business point of view, the Manchester United name does not hold the same allure and prestige it once did. Pains me to say it but you want to sponsor a team like Liverpool or City who play attacking and nice football.
Trouble is there are people associated with the club, the board, ex-players who still think we are a big draw. Those people really need a reality check. All ex- SAF players or Busby players who are living in the past.

clarkydaz

We have already lost a huge chunk of money from Adidas, and now when we go to re-negotiate our kit sponsor they hold all the power. Basically we will have to take a reduced figure I would guess.
Have we? I thought it was 2 consecutive years with no CL and then it kicks in

JoaquinJoaquin

Trouble is there are people associated with the club, the board, ex-players who still think we are a big draw. Those people really need a reality check. All ex- SAF players or Busby players who are living in the past.
Exactly. Just look at this from the past 6 months for example:

- Ole wont park in Fergie's parking bay :rolleyes:. Like come on you are your own guy, stop acting like a second rate coach.
- The 90+3 logo on the new home shirt. Absolute cringe and a needless look back to better times.
- The United social media pages are littered with nostalgia talk and constant talk about Ronaldo. He left 10 years ago for god sake.
- The recent legends game being treat by some as the highlight of the season. Yes it was nice watching Scholes ping the ball around but he is playing against 50+ year olds.

We have gone full Liverpool, It is really sad to see.

DomesticTadpole

Exactly. Just look at this from the past 6 months for example:

- Ole wont park in Fergie's parking bay :rolleyes:. Like come on you are your own guy, stop acting like a second rate coach.
- The 90+3 logo on the new home shirt. Absolute cringe and a needless look back to better times.
- The United social media pages are littered with nostalgia talk and constant talk about Ronaldo. He left 10 years ago for god sake.
- The recent legends game being treat by some as the highlight of the season. Yes it was nice watching Scholes ping the ball around but he is playing against 50+ year olds.

We have gone full Liverpool, It is really sad to see.
Yep. We are being left behind. We need to evolve into a modern football club, the whole club, training ground, stadium not just social media (they seem to think that is enough). Of course you need owners who are bothered to do that.

F-A-C-T-S

If we keep doing the same shite that has got us in this position then hell yeah we are fecked.
We should copy and paste the Liverpool template. Some won't like this, but they are the club most similar to us. From history, unparalleled success, blind loyalty towards managers and of course the position we find ourselves in I.e underperformance after years of sustained success.

We are probably in the Dalglish phase in their cycle. Where a club legend is brought in to unite the club, does pretty well in his stint and is offered the managers job on a permanent basis. The similarities dont end there. In an attempt to go back to the roots of the club, the manager opts for expensive homegrown talent in the belief that they understand the club and will bleed for the badge and excel. Caroll, Downing and Henderson were purchased, it failed spectacularly.

While the idea to purchase homegrown talent sounds good in theory, it can blow up in our faces. The best signing of the Dalglish era was Suarez. Who has more fight for the badge and fire in the belly than any homegrown player that's ever been. The prevailing traits in signing players should always be quality and above all, character, not nationality.
Listen to the way Klopp talks about what they look for in a signing, https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43966264
sounds like SAF Back in the day. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/apr/09/sir-alex-ferguson-manchester-united-transfer (I'm sure someone can find an even better example.

As an aside, I think the main reason Liverpool targeted homegrown players in Dalglish's time was because they were no longer as attractive to foreign players as they used to be, hopefully it's not why we are linked to so many of them.

UpWithRivers

What happened to getting rid of the players causing it unrest in the dressing room and players who just couldn't be arsed to run. Is that all forgotten now? Seems like it. Instead they all get new contracts and Pogba probably captaincy if he stays

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
What happened to getting rid of the players causing it unrest in the dressing room and players who just couldn't be arsed to run. Is that all forgotten now? Seems like it. Instead they all get new contracts and Pogba probably captaincy if he stays
Fans are mostly mindless and quickly forget what has come before. The club know know the dust will settle when we're in a bad period and everybody will be excited about transfers etc. I think all that talk, much like the DoF talk, was just to shut the fans up for a bit whilst they continue to rinse us for cash.

Everything that went down last season is forgotten about by the majority.

croadyman

Well seeing as next season sees the launch of live games on Amazon,maybe we should approach Jeff Bezos and plead with him to buy the club.

lucawork

100% If Ole isn't backed this summer he is working with his hands tied behind his back. We are slowly drifting into the wilderness. The club feels to me as if we are already a laughing stock, how far we have fallen is beyond depressing. If this summer goes anything like last summer we as fans simply have to make a stand!

RyRy11

Regarding how the club is run nothing has changed since Mourinho was sacked. Still handing out long term contracts to players that aren’t good enough, not investing in the right players, not devising any tangible plan to get us back on track whilst our rivals collect all the major honours. Disgraceful.

DomesticTadpole

Regarding how the club is run nothing has changed since Mourinho was sacked. Still handing out long term contracts to players that aren’t good enough, not investing in the right players, not devising any tangible plan to get us back on track whilst our rivals collect all the major honours. Disgraceful.
They work their socks off to get sponsorship deals, but are just lazy where player signing/contract renewals are concerned. It is easy to offer some of these players extensions as they will snatch their hands off. Easy peasy.

singhters

Has this club gone fecking mad loyalty bonus for a player that wants to leave ?

1 Signing and its nearly July

We in huge trouble, as long as woodward is there we will stay in hell, ole will get sacked by November in my opinion.

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

ForestRGoinUp

My suggestion was to do this:

"Just count up the large-scale results of proven vs. non-proven managers and the risk weighted benefit of having a proven manager is clear."

One anecdote does not constitute doing this. 10 anecdotes do not.

Why on earth do I have to point this out? Pulling names of a hat is not a rational approach.

Links provided in previous post ...

Next post spare the emotion.
Hahahaha that was incredible

ForestRGoinUp

Well we all know the adidas money drops significantly unless Ole pulls a rabbit out and gets Top 4. That’s a major hit right there. Then the next telling one is (finally) right around the corner with the shirt sponsor. Unless things turn around quickly I have a feeling it’s not one we’re going to be rushing to the press to brag about.

The finances at this club and ability to spend could look a whole lot worse soon, or maybe just remain flat due to increases TV money.

El Zoido

Has this club gone fecking mad loyalty bonus for a player that wants to leave ?

1 Signing and its nearly July

We in huge trouble, as long as woodward is there we will stay in hell, ole will get sacked by November in my opinion.
It’s been like this since the Glazers took over, fans have just been blind to it. Fergie papered over many of the cracks but they’re running out of places to hide.

Kemizee

Aren't you guys just tired of this recycled crap year in year out? I really am. We must be the only club that takes eternity to figure out which players are up to scratch. Terrible stuff

soaphroniscuss

It is quite difficult to argue the benefits of “proven manager”, when most managers actually seem to make little difference to results. I’m not arguing that they make “no difference”, but it is actually rare to find one who is adding value, statistically. So, what would qualify as “proven”? If it is experience, we can easily see from the data that the amount of games a manager has isn’t a strong predictor of success - the wage bill of his squad is (which makes the poor results of our own squad even more galling).

It is actually far easier and more common to employ an overpaid manager, on the basis of his “experience” and then have to get rid of him, once the club does not get the results it mistakenly imagined it would. 1. Solskjaer may well have as much chance of success as other “proven managers” provided there is a excellent management team around him - by which I mean data analysts, performance analysts, coaching staff, and recruitment specialists. “Proven managers” in football are actually easy to find - but there is little evidence that they make much difference consistently. It is management teams that make more of a difference.

2. This is where we have made most mistakes, as a fan base, and as a club. Our focus on the “great man” theory has blinded us to the importance of collective wisdom and leadership. The much more successful approach would be to assemble a team of specialists, with discrete areas of expertise, and have them function under a manager whose responsibility is to synthesise the information he/she is given, and make decisions about team selections and tactics based on that information. It is a mistake to imagine that there are many managers out there who can recognise their own limitations, but if the club was serious about winning football matches consistently, this would be a more rational approach. Managers simply don’t make enough of a difference consistently, with rare exceptions, for clubs to place all their risk on them. In that limited regard, 3. Solskjaer being appointed makes as much sense as Mourinho.
1. Ceteris Paribus (either way) chances are (stats) he won't.

2. You do? Ok. I have never said that.

3. It doesn't. See point 1.

NB. You could write 100 sentences between points 2 and 3 but unless you specifically address what makes Ole such a good choice it actually makes no difference to the logical result. Specifically what makes him the ideal candidate? What (as you put it, although I couldn't care less) "makes him a better candidate than Mou"? What specifically makes him a better candidate than all the other ex-man Utd players who have moved into management?

JoaquinJoaquin

Aren't you guys just tired of this recycled crap year in year out? I really am. We must be the only club that takes eternity to figure out which players are up to scratch. Terrible stuff
That's how Smalling and Jones have lasted as long as they have. Constant 'new starts'.

soaphroniscuss

I think the word is out already. Players, agents and managers know what it going on. If we, the general public can see it, those in the industry already know.