We don't have any forwards for next season, who do we sign ?

Dion

So you think that a legal system where an alleged victim is always believed isn't dangerous? Every single allegation regardless of credibility should lead to prosecution?
This is the crux of your misunderstanding of what "always be believed means" and it reverts back to the second post I made to you.

And my point was that "always believing the victim" isn't dangerous legally like you suggested it was because they're not advocating the jury do that. Advocating believing the accuser is not the same as suggesting people should be legally convicted and sentenced without evidence.
Nobody says the legal system should. They said you should. You are not the legal system. The legal system do lots of things that the general public don't have to do. They do them and hold themselves to different standards because the consequences are greater.

It appears we've come full circle now and you still do not understand that "believing the victim" is not directed at the legal system, this is something I have explained twice now and I'm afraid I'm not going to hijack another thread to do it a third time.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
We could go all in on sorting the midfield and use Bruno as a false 9, with rashy and elanga/sancho out wide. That has possibilities.

tomaldinho1

12 months left on his contract in the summer and not much reason to sign a new one. He still wouldn’t be cheap but is a good player with potential to improve so it could be good value for money.
Didn't realise it was so close, highly doubtful Lampard will be interested in losing a crowd favourite/good attacker in Jan though.

Pleases stop any Greenwood chat in this thread. Completely different discussion.

LoneStar

This season surely has to be the worst since 2013? I mean, with all the hope in the summer. To this now. We are playing shite, sacked the manager, disharmony in the squad and now one of our best talents is allegedly a domestic abuser. Not sure how it can get worse after this, but it concerns me that there is still a good bit of the season left. Wonder what’s next.

led_scholes

Liverpool won a CL and a PL with Origi the only semi decent backup to their front three. I don't where this idea that it's necessary to have two top players for each position to compete. Does it help? Yes. Is it a deal breaker without which you can't play some decent football and compete? most definitely not!

The greatest team in recent memory started a CL final with Afellay and Bojan as their backup forwards. This obsession over numbers and how many and who needs to be bought and sold is getting us in a weird loop. We are the equivalent of a shopaholic, always thinking the next buy will bring happiness. Of course we need to make squad adjustments every year like everybody else but the burden we are placing on it and how much some of our fans see it as the answer is simply unrealistic.
The problem is not the backup, is the starting 3. Rashford can't lead the line. Lets hope that Sancho and Diallo elevate their game. But that's wishful thinking now.

big rons sovereign

Annoyingly our rivals are strengthening whilst we're pissing about loaning out the squad and getting sent to jail.

Andrew7582

We could go all in on sorting the midfield and use Bruno as a false 9, with rashy and elanga/sancho out wide. That has possibilities.
Playing a false 9 system means that you're relying on the wide players to be the main goalscorers in the team, which is fine if you've got Mane and Salah, but not with what we've got.

His ontract expires in 2024 according to Transfermarkt? A shame as I like him and think he would be an effective player for us. With two years left though Everton will try and fleece anyone that goes for him.
I think if we were looking at Everton forwards Calvert Lewin would be the one to go for, he's a better 9 than Richarlison. He would cost an absolute fortune though as usual.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We’re a bit fecked. I don’t doubt the club were hoping Greenwood would take on the mantle next year, and now we’re left trying to fill that void. We’re probably trying to ensure one of Ronaldo/Cavani stays, otherwise we basically need to be in the market for a number 9, hope Sancho and Elanga can step up, hope Rashford returns to form, hope Amad’s loan goes well and maybe promote another youth player.

All this in addition to our black hole of a midfield which already needed sorting. It’s a bit of a mess.

honirelandboy

The club is run like a business with clueless owners giving players who don't deserve it huge contracts and really seems like we the worst scouting system in the world.

Liverpool just signed a world class winger as Mane and Salah are getting on a but and Manes lack of form.

I know absolutely nothing about Major league baseball, the united owners would be like me going over and handle the transfers of players in major league baseball, I wouldn't have a clue.

hobbers

Conceivably could be going into next season with just Amad, Bruno, Elanga, Sancho, Rashford and Ronaldo across four positions.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Manchester City have splashed more than Manchester United since Pep Guardiola came to the Premier League. We've not matched.

Us signing the wrong players that's true and is a big part of the problem BUT the Glazers spend the money of the club, not their own money. They also take money out of the club while City owners, Abramovich etc. invest their money. See the difference?

It's not the list of flops, it's the list of Manchester United transfers in 2008 and 2009 when we needed a replacement for Ronaldo and Tevez and got Owen, Valencia and Bebe.
1. We've matched them during the Ole reign easily. And you're ignoring all the clubs outperforming us with less funds by focusing on City. Liverpool, Bayern, etc.
2. My point isn't that the Glazers are good owners, my point is lack of transfer funds isn't why we're in our current predicament. There's always some newbie that interprets a defense of X accusation as a defense of the person. Stop doing that. You know there's a difference.
3. Yes our recruitment is crap, that's related to, but not tied one on one to the available transfer funds. Look at what PSG have gotten on "free" transfers in recent years.

Tallis

The silver lining is that Sancho, Amad and Elanga will have room to step up now. If Martial does well at Sevilla, maybe we keep him around for another season.

goptun

Playing a false 9 system means that you're relying on the wide players to be the main goalscorers in the team, which is fine if you've got Mane and Salah, but not with what we've got.

I think if we were looking at Everton forwards Calvert Lewin would be the one to go for, he's a better 9 than Richarlison. He would cost an absolute fortune though as usual.
Rashford is absolutely a goal-scoring forward. Besides, City often play the likes of Grealish and Mahrez out wide without a traditional number 9, so there's no reason why we can't with the likes of Diallo and Sancho.

I'd much rather see us get Richarlison. I rate his all-round play better and think he has higher levels to go than DCL. He also has the ability to play across the front three and would give us much greater tactically fluidity.

Last edited:

Lentwood

Don't think we need to be too concerned to be honest. We're stacked with attacking midfielders/wide-forwards and we probably need to get away from the old 'SAF-endorsed' idea of having a 20 goal-a-season CF because nowadays the position is about much more than just knocking a few goals in.

I don't think we need to be thinking about someone like Haaland or Kane necessarily, someone scrappy, physical and full of energy would do for me as a starter for ten.

Plus, we have Charlie McNeil and Joe Hugill in the u23s performing well, would it be out of the question to start thinking about introducing them slowly?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I was really hoping Greenwood would make the #9 his position for years to come after next year, but obviously that isn't going to happen now. So maybe this is just the Canadian in me, but Jonathan David looks like a good prospect. He's only 20 and among the leading scorers in the league ahead of m'Bappe, Messi and Neymar...

Theonas

Scout
The problem is not the backup, is the starting 3. Rashford can't lead the line. Lets hope that Sancho and Diallo elevate their game. But that's wishful thinking now.
Then it's not about numbers, it is about quality. Sancho is supposed to be that and Greenwood depending on his upcoming trial I guess. Ronaldo and Cavani were never expected to lead the line long term. Rashford and Martial are what I'd say becoming clearly questionable in terms of whether they can fulfill what was expected of them. In short, we need another top forward which would make in theory, Sancho, a new guy with the third spot going to Ronaldo or maybe Rashford/Martial depending if they can salvage their career with us. We also have to expect that there is always someone emerging unexpectedly like Rashford, Greenwood and recently Elanga did. That's one buy next summer and maybe another the January or summer when we can reevaluate the situation.

What I am criticizing is the attitude there NEEDS to be one for one. There doesn't, we need a functioning front 3 or 4. We already invested enough in that with the lead striker being a temporary fix which was already understood, so we already expected that we need to find a longer term solution. But apart from that? We already made the investment, and it was potentially at least enough numbers and quality, if it ain't working now, it's because of something else, not a lack of investment. Repeating the same thing and expecting different results is the very definition of you know what.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm more worried that these days, we're in the Che Adams, Teemu Pukki, Patrick Bamford type of marketplace.
Forget daydreams like Haaland.
We just brought in Varane and Sancho, and I only mention those 2 as some will moan Ronaldo is "old" all of a sudden.

Hardly bottom of division fare, to even the gloomiest redcafer.

Natener

And whats the common between all of them ? They've all failed to deliver.

I dont think glazers will be spunking north of 100m on any single player anytime soon.
First of all, them failing to deliver and the club spending big on transfers are two different matters. Big money transfers that end up flopping have happened many times, under glazers, in the history of this football club, in English football, all over Europe. It didn't stopped us spending big after Veron. It didn't stop Chelsea after Torres. Barca Ibra, Real Kaka, Liverpool clumsy pony tail guy from Newcastle who I forgot his name. All different club structures/ownerships but same old story. Because that's how club football works. High profile clubs will constantly sign high profile players to stay competitive.

Secondly, you are trying to peddle the narrative that the club will not be "spunking north of 100m" based on the fact that they have been close to doing that on 4 players in the last 6 years? Why do you think that 4 big signings is the cutoff? Or why is 100m the cutoff fee? We also have a few flops like AWB, Mkhitaryan and Di Maria that cover quite a big range of transfer fees. So if transfer flops are the basis you believe glazers will or will not spend x amount of money on a signing then the evidence kind of suggest we are left with just free agents. Not even loans (Falcao) or swap (Sanchez) deals, only free agents. Then, to answer your question of this thread: Mbappe.

Laurencio

If we assume the time for dumb money is over - I kinda doubt it, but maybe. We should look at bringing in technically skilled players who can play a number of styles and provide both goals, assists and pressure.

Karim Adeyemi - 20 years old. German u21 just about breaking through into the National team. He has an eye for goal, pressess well, can dribble and creates as well as finishes chances for his team. He plays in Austria and shouldn't be all that expensive. Is not the finished article, but has progressed steadily.

Darwin Núñez - 22 years old. Uruguayan striker with plenty of goals for Benfica. West Ham were in for him this January, but missed out on the deadline or something? Quick, relatively agile and with a decent enough ball control. He might not stand out, but he has steadily progressed for the past three season and has developed well. At 22 he's likely just about ready to make the step up soon. Has shown he can adapt well to playing abroad (Spain and Portugal).

Adam Hlozek - Czech 19 year old, talented link up striker. Needs a lot of improvement in order to be effective at this level, but he seems to have the physical attributes to do just that. Could work very well as the forward in a Ten Hag system I reckon.

Julian Alvarez was interesting too, but City went ahead and got him.

Or we could of course go for the generational talent Erling Haaland, or spend 100M plus on established stars, or go get 30+ year old with a reputation as per usual.

GazTheLegend

I'm not too upset at the players leaving, and I'm happy with that potential front 3 of Ronaldo, Sancho and Rashford - they'll be fine. Supplied by Bruno, we are still a threat to any team. I'm still more concerned by what's behind them, personally, if we can't work the ball out of the first third of the pitch then it wouldn't matter if we had the Brazil 1970 front three/four, there's some absolutely criminal Sunday league slackness about our passing before it even gets to those players.

marktan

I still think the front 3 is nowhere near what other teams have and will need to be upgraded to really come close to say Bayern, Liverpool etc. Rashford I like but he's a striker playing out wide, he's not a technical dribbler.

Sancho I also like but he's so slow, it's like another Mata out there.

You compare to Liverpool's speed and technical ability in Mane and Salah. Or Sane, Gnabry, Conan at Bayern. Or previously Ribery and Robben, Bale and Ronaldo, Neymar and Messi..

I know our midfield is a bit crap too and definitely needs a DM, but for me the biggest thing the team has needed over the last 6 or 7 years is identifying the next Mane, Salah etc and signing them. Someone like Nani, fast, technical, can pass and finish. Our wide forward signings have been really poor post SAF - Mata, Depay, Mikhi, Di Maria, Diallo, Pellestri, Sancho.. not one of them I'd count as being good (or good enough yet). So bad that we've relied on 2 strikers from our academy in Rashford and Greenwood as being our main wide players, mostly because they're fast.

For me if you signed Saint Maximin and O. Dembele, or two players of a similar calibre that are fast, very good dribblers and can pick a pass, our team would look a whole, whole lot better.

Hackman2210

Richarlson? Please no.......Id rather take a punt on some 19yr old from the french leagues. There's bound to be some 30yr old proven striker we can get relatively cheap isnt there? Always players out of contract every year - if we are only looking for 2 season - then this would the favoured route IMO. The club is in the worse state Ive seen it - lots of outgoings next season and no one is doing us any favours in the transfer market as we will be desperate to rebuild. Maybe invest in a proper scouting and development system and have a(nother) season in the wilderness whilst we locate some good hungry young players. Glazersout!!

Rake

Given the Greenwood situation and Ronaldo possibly leaving (or being good enough), we might need a heavy hitter. Before the current events we might have been considering signing a promising youngster.

Kaos

Maybe a good RW. Chiesa? Raphinha?
I'd love Chiesa, feel like he'd be great for the Prem. Speaks perfect English and seems a top bloke too. He has just suffered a pretty nasty ACL injury though which has sidelined him for months.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Guarantee you it will be Martial as centre-forward next season. He will do okay for Sevilla and be deemed good enough to lead the line next season by the board.

RedDevil@84

Greenwood is gone, martial has gone, cavani will go after this season and ronaldo is ancient and will also leave if we don't get into CL.

So on top of not having a midfield, we won't have any forwards either. I bet our board regrets not bidding for julian alvarez from river plate who city signed up on the cheap.

Glazers won't spend a bomb on haaland. Our only realistic option is kane for around 75m and even that might be too much for the glazers.
As the extreme optimists are letting us know in the other threads, stop moaning and understand that not buying anyone this window has meant we have so much kitty for summer.
We will buy a GK, one DF, RWB, 1 DM, 1 CM, 1 winger, 1 FWD in summer. As Trump would say "It is going to be huuuuuuuuuuuge"

Andrew7582

Rashford is absolutely a goal-scoring forward. Besides, City often play the likes of Grealish and Mahrez out wide without a traditional number 9, so there's no reason why we can't with the likes of Diallo and Sancho.

I'd much rather see us get Richarlison. I rate his all-round play better and think he has higher levels to go than DCL. He also has the ability to play across the front three and would give us much greater tactically fluidity.
Rashford has been in awful form for a long time now. Sancho has started poorly at United, then we've got Elanga and Amad who are just unproven kids. Banking on those guys to replace the productivity of proper strikers would be a big risk that probably won't pay off. City have the best coach in the world, they keep the ball all day and walk the ball into the net with intricate patterns of play, we are a country mile away from replicating the way they play all over the pitch so looking at them as a blueprint for us doesn't make much sense.

NoPace

The big question now is if the manager coming in the summer will see Rashford is a 9 or an LW. If they think he's a winger, then we need a 9 AND to keep one of Cavani or Cristiano. If he sees him as a 9, then we probably need a RW, and it can be a guy in his prime already with Amad behind him, with Sancho backed up by Elanga on the left.

The best attackers not at massive clubs already looks like this:
Jonathan David - 9 who drops deep
Gouiri - Not sure, plays in a front 2
Moussa Diaby - proper winger, playing well on both sides for Leverkusen
Calvert-Lewin - 9
Richarlison - I think only good enough as a 9 and there might be lots of upside there, he's done well enough and 37 in 117 in the Prem considering how much he's played out wide is pretty damn good for the pre-24 years old part of his career. Is it crazy to think he can be a 20+ goal guy as a 9 with his aerial skills?
Raphinha - Leeds might sell to us after the James transfer?
Schick- 9 and has talent, but is he maybe a bit lacking in power and pace to score enough goals as our main 9?
Adeyemi - Haven't seen enough, but small 9 who might struggle against low blocks?

Then there's the guys at big clubs who might move. Laporta says Dembele has a pre-contract, so that won't be us with. Joao Felix maybe. Dybala another. Though if we figure Sancho and Amad are going to get a lot of minutes out wide they might need a pure goal-scorer in the middle to get the most out of their playmaking and because neither seem like 20-25 goal guys and more Ribery good assist and goals than Robben tons of goals from out wide types. Elanga and Sancho might benefit from a better all-around 9.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We are going to end up overspending on a broken down Kane aren't we...
We are going to end up overspending on a broken down Kane aren't we...
Bid 100m to much talk on redcafe of how "Fergie would have bought him", ignoring that Fergie would have bought the peak Kane, not the shot away version 5 years later.

And then Kane turns down the move, basically on the sentiment that he can stay where he is and win nothing, but actually keep all the hero worship from their fickle fans that way.

Giggsy13

Yea in short we’re completely fecked. Our only hope is to qualify for the champions league and hope Ronaldo stays on another year as a stop gap. I won’t name the wanker from Bradford because I’m sick of seeing his name, but that situation has put us in massive trouble. It makes our failure to sign a target like Zakaria or Kessie on the cheap in January even more damaging and short sighted.

We could see the departure of Pogba, Lingard, Bailly, Jones, Martial, wanker and complete prick from Bradford, Mata and Cavani this summer. Those are some big holes in our squad to fill. Amad going out on loan is a blessing as he might get some major minutes next season. Based on these departure you could argue we need 2 CMs, 2 forwards and a CB. Since LVG’s spending spree, when have shown that level of player turnover? It’s likely the club fails to act again and refuses to sell a player like Martial even though he will want to move on.