We don't have the midfield

Abraxas

I think it's clear the manager would want more options. You don't sign Eriksen on a free alongside Casemiro and think all is right in the world for a whole season. Also he wanted De Jong so that tells you quite precisely what qualities the manager thinks are missing in terms of dynamism, taking the ball in tight areas etc. We never resolved that.

We're a quality option short that's for sure. The problem is we have had a lot to deal with to get this squad up to scratch and a lot has already been spent so there has to be an order of operations. Hopefully we revisit it next summer.

SAFMUTD

If we could sign De Jong and a striker it would change the whole dynamic. It's key areas that we're lacking. The drop in quality when Casemiro doesn't play is outrageous. I get arsenal is playing really great football at the moment but last's match final 20 minutes were ridiculous we couldn't even get the ball from a midfield that has Xhaka as a starter ffs.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The midfield is excellent IMO. In fact I think our midfield and defensive groups are both excellent. Sure, can improve always, and some better fitting cover is always needed as Ten Hag needs his profiles in rather than randoms filling in (which makes a big difference ultimately).

wolvored

We missed Casemiro and at OT Arsenal missed Partey. We need 2 midfielders with the skillset of Casemiro. An experienced one mid 20s and a youngster around 20/21 who would be happy to sit on the bench and bide his time. Hopefully Casemiro has 3 seasons or more in him at this level. Fred McTom need to be sold in the summer.

wolvored

We were by far the better team in the first half though and we're more talented than them man for man. We lacked legs in the second half they looked a lot fitter than us. Its midfield, Eriksen is tired/lightweight, and lacking Casemiro we lack quality or depth there. We really needed FDJ/Bellingham or someone of that ilk alongside Casemiro.
Thats bullshit.

UDontMessWith24

You can’t build up a position group that has either been neglected or filled with bad signings for so long in one transfer window. Bruno can play in a 3, but he needs a more complete midfielder in the Eriksen/Fred spot. I feel like those legitimate two way midfielders are so important in today’s game and they’re not cheap, but if we’re talking Premium League and CL, it’s very difficult to compete without at least two. Fred and Eriksen are tremendous squad pieces, but as midfielders there’s too much of a gap between their attacking and defensive abilities.

croadyman

The midfield is excellent IMO. In fact I think our midfield and defensive groups are both excellent. Sure, can improve always, and some better fitting cover is always needed as Ten Hag needs his profiles in rather than randoms filling in (which makes a big difference ultimately).
Need a top CM which is number one priority with obviously a ST too. Then in terms of midfield depth would you go for a backup CDM/AM given the choice. I would also throw in CB cover as well.