We finished 3rd: PL 2019/20

Cal?

CR7 fan
That's a fair point, but you have to consider that Spurs were very strong in the last 2 seasons, and Chelsea were decent, and still clubs reached that 95+. Or before Liverpool became challengers, they were still quite good, but City reached 100.

At the end, even if United and Chelsea strengthen, there are only 18 points in play between top 4. Get only half of them, and you can still lose another 10 points and reach 95. Of course, even if these two teams strengthen, still there will be one team better than the others who would get more than 9 points.

In all honesty, I don't see Liverpool dropping under 95 (and definitely not under 90) in the next 2 years. No player is old and the manager is great. City depends if they drop another 300m this season or not, cause their team is aging and need reinforcements.
You probably didn't see City end up with 81pts this season when they got 100pts back in 17/18. It's hugely difficult to maintain the consistency or even player desire to win year in year out.

There's a reason why Sir Alex remains the only manager in the PL era to have won 3 in a row.

Revan

Assumptionman
You probably didn't see City end up with 81pts this season when they got 100pts back in 17/18. It's hugely difficult to maintain the consistency or even player desire to win year in year out.

There's a reason why Sir Alex remains the only manager in the PL era to have won 3 in a row.
I didn't. But at the same time, they lost their leader (Kompany) and Aguero and Silva who were their most important player during their decade are 32 and 34 years old. Also, their best defender was injured for more than half of the season.

Liverpool does not have such a problem. From their starters, Henderson is the oldest player, and he is only 30. They will be able to keep us this form until Van Dijk and their strikers start regressing.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I didn't. But at the same time, they lost their leader (Kompany) and Aguero and Silva who were their most important player during their decade are 32 and 34 years old. Also, their best defender was injured for more than half of the season.

Liverpool does not have such a problem. From their starters, Henderson is the oldest player, and he is only 30. They will be able to keep us this form until Van Dijk and their strikers start regressing.
We'll see how it turns out. I'd bet that Liverpool get less than 85pts in 1 of the 2 coming seasons.

Hopefully Real or Barca somehow dismantled them. :drool:

Gasolin

We'll see how it turns out. I'd bet that Liverpool get less than 85pts in 1 of the 2 coming seasons.

Hopefully Real or Barca somehow dismantled them. :drool:
Yeah all those 1:0 games will be up there for a different outcome.

Shark

@NotShark

What about Milner?

Red00012

I can’t remember the last time I was this happy finishing a league season. I’d nearly go as far as it’s the best since post Fergie.

Don’t get me wrong we’ve won feck all but it’s a decent achievement considering the early season form.

Shark

@NotShark
Does he start nowadays? I thought that Henderson, Fabinho and Winjauldum is their starting trio in the midfield.
Maybe not started but he's still featured in 37 games in all competitions, according to transfermarkt.

Revan

Assumptionman
Maybe not started but he's still featured in 37 games in all competitions, according to transfermarkt.
Apparently, Winjauldum has played 3644 minutes, Henderson 3167, Fabinho 2925, Ox 2195 and Milner 1708. So less than half the minutes of Winjaudum, and significantly less than Henderson and Fabinho. For comparison, he has featured for them less than Lingard, Pereira, James, McTominay and Mata for us.

He is a squad player, not more than that.

alexthelion

Fregie won us titles, even when he didn't we challenged. When Fergie got battered by a team 3 days before the next game we were called a "wounded animal". If Fergie lost the way we did to Chelsea, West Ham would have come in for a hiding. So please do not compare Fergie with what is going on here at United now, there are 0 similarities.

It isnt about one defeat, it is about the performance of the team. We have been poor for the last 4 games.
It also took Fergie years to get to that point.

This is Ole's first full season. Let's see how he does in the future, shall we?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I still can't believe we finish 3rd.
Back in Christmas we've almost given up top 4, as we are so far behind the packs and have been playing poorly.
Remember there was a few weeks when we were at 9th-10th place and 8-10 points behind top 4.
We were also 14 points behind 3rd place Leicester for a period of time.

We've actually managed to chase back 16 points in 2nd half of the season for 3rd place finish.

Granted we didn't win anything, and started running out of the steam in the last few matches, but this has got to be one of the greatest comeback we've made in many years.

Last edited:

Gasolin

Jesus those guys... anyway, class of 92 level, we don't know, but we have plenty of young players from the academy, Rashford, Greenwood, Scott, Williams... and I hope we bring on all the lands like Mejbri quickly enough, so that we can keep Souness quiet. We believe in this process and we will make it happen.

Winrar

Think this is the first time in the league post-Fergie where we actually showed character to meet a long term goal from a disadvantageous situation and that alone is a reason to be optimistic.

Our big game performances are promising as well, shown by the fact that we did our first ever PL double against Chelsea and City in the same season no less (never did vs Chelsea, for the first time in 10 years vs City), both of which tremendously helped us reach 3rd/CL.

Sure, I can continue being miserable because we didn't really win any domestic trophies and seeing the scousers win the league sucked, but I can only be miserable about the team I support for so long before saying enough is enough.

rollingstoned1

considering jose called finishing 2nd one of his greatest achievements i wonder what he would have called finishing 3rd this year after all the injuries and lack of investment for half the season and the chance of us finishing 8th or lower?

theklr

considering jose called finishing 2nd one of his greatest achievements i wonder what he would have called finishing 3rd this year after all the injuries and lack of investment for half the season and the chance of us finishing 8th or lower?
Think this is a greater achievement when you look at how many injuries we've had, not to mention we got one point from Liverpool and 6! from City, with a ragged squad.

That was basically what made us qualify.

Web of Bissaka

To be fair, we were hovering between 4 and 6 though.

Bruno changed our game half-way this season so much we climbed high to 3rd at the final end. If he didn't and we continue with the same squad with zero addition, then I'm sure we'll finish between 4 to 6, battling with Wolves and Spurs for the 5th position.

Josep Dowling

I can’t remember the last time I was this happy finishing a league season. I’d nearly go as far as it’s the best since post Fergie.

Don’t get me wrong we’ve won feck all but it’s a decent achievement considering the early season form.
My thoughts exactly.

Jonno

Ole did it, I'm so pleased for him.

Bruno practically drove us into 3rd place, he dropped off in the last couple of games, understandably.

But they can all have a nice rest now, recover and play in the Europa League with no pressure - I see us winning it now we've clinched 3rd.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
2018/19: Finished outside of CL on 66pts.

£200m spent.....

2019/2020: finished 3rd with 66pt yet again.

We are all much happier though as this time 66pts was enough for 3rd when last season it wasn't even enough for 4th.

I think we need to kick on next season. 66pts is nowhere near good enough for the talent we now have. We should be aiming for 80 next yr I reckon. Won't win the title but we should be closer to the top 2.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Points themselves aren't always the best comparison.

66 points this year was much better than last year. Hence coming 3rd not 5th!