We finished 3rd: PL 2019/20

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
And 3rd from this position and 1 more win would secure 3rd.

Quoting as this needs a little more awareness. Our record then is 9-8-8. As of now its 17-12-8. Thats 8 wins and 4 draws in our last 12 matches.

Tremendous form

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Win our last game we finish 3rd. Draw it and we can't finish lower than 4th.

From the disastrous first 4 months of the season we'd have taken that all day long.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Win our last game we finish 3rd. Draw it and we can't finish lower than 4th.

From the disastrous first 4 months of the season we'd have taken that all day long.
In the context of Redcafe pre season conversations and expectations, it will be an amazing over achievement. I hope everyone remembers that if we pull it off.

untitled_6899

Wolves look like they can clinch 5th place if they win at Stamford Bridge. Big ask but good they’ve got something to play for.

Hoping they can pull out a result as we look really shaky.

Edit: no Wolves can’t finish 5th

Last edited:

Red00012

Let’s be positive

Who would have taken 3rd going into the last day of the season on January 23rd 2020?

We were 14 points off Leicester and we had just lost 2-0 at home to Burnley.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Wolves look like they can clinch 5th place if they win at Stamford Bridge. Big ask but good they’ve got something to play for.

Hoping they can pull out a result as we look really shaky.
It’s their biggest game for a generation and it’s a tight group who’ve been on a journey so I imagine they will be so motivated by it. They will want it more than Chelsea.

Imagine if they win and so do we, Chelsea would drop to 6th!

untitled_6899

It’s their biggest game for a generation and it’s a tight group who’ve been on a journey so I imagine they will be so motivated by it. They will want it more than Chelsea.

Unfortunately got my sums wrong, doesn’t look like Wolves can clinch 5th, highest they can finish is 6th

If we beat Leicester and Wolves win then they will be level on points with each other but Leicester have a superior goal difference

Nervous again FFS!

Jibbs

Chelsea would remain 4th in that case.

RashyForPM

3rd is never a fantastic achievement for Manchester United and Ole knows that. However, in the context of where we were under Mourinho last season and Ole at the start of this, it is bloody good.

If we win the last game (biggest one in years honestly, probably biggest since the Villa game in 2013), then Bruno, Martial, Rashford and Ole deserve a lot of credit for somehow pulling us out of the wreckage and hauling us to 3rd place.

Fooza

Don't think so ? We were before Christmas but went on a nuts run then, unlikely we still are
The lowest total points we gained was 2013/2014 with 64 points which got us 7th. So if we get a draw on a Sunday we equal that. I'm talking since the Premier League started.

Goes to show how poor the other teams were around us.

Source

Last edited:

The White Pele

Get a result on Sunday by any means necessary and call it a job well done. There’s some real positives to take from some performances this season and also some big learnings on where we are still short.

Glad we can rest some legs ahead of the Europa and also opportunity to rotate in the first match. Fingers crossed with CL qualification already in the bag.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Let’s be positive

Who would have taken 3rd going into the last day of the season on January 23rd 2020?

We were 14 points off Leicester and we had just lost 2-0 at home to Burnley.
Now I’ve calmed down a bit it is such an amazing turnaround. We had no chance really. Bruno boosted everyone and the Covid break let us bring Marcus and Pogba back into the fold. The only thing is as pants as Leicester are I think the wheels are really starting to come off here too. I think it’ll be a draw. It’s been a while since we’ve had a really convincing performance and they will fancy their chances and really go for us. Early goal and it’s squeaky bum time

Red00012

Now I’ve calmed down a bit it is such an amazing turnaround. We had no chance really. Bruno boosted everyone and the Covid break let us bring Marcus and Pogba back into the fold. The only thing is as pants as Leicester are I think the wheels are really starting to come off here too. I think it’ll be a draw. It’s been a while since we’ve had a really convincing performance and they will fancy their chances and really go for us. Early goal and it’s squeaky bum time
A draw will be fine by me :D

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
We should be third with a 6 points lead. We'd be fecked if both chelsea and leicester hadn't screwed up twice!

Cloud7

Football really is something else. After arguably our worst two performances since the restart, we jump up two places. Couldn’t be happier though :D

Fitchett

It's because you cant compare points totals across seasons like so many people do here. If the bottom of the league is crap as was the case during 2000 to 2010 then it artificially inflates the point totals of the top sides. Literally you had a ton of teams just bending over for the big clubs and you didn't really have to fight for the right to play in every match. Now you have stronger teams throughout the table that has come about with the increased PL financial power relative to the rest of Europe.
At last, someone speaking sense! The current TV deal means that all 20 PL teams are in the top 30 in Europe, in terms of income. That means that the bottom half clubs have been able to strengthen their squad and that the gap between the top and bottom clubs, in terms of income and points accrued, is less than in SAF's time.

Okey

Says a lot about this season's Prem that if we win Sunday, we'll finish with the same number of points as last season, but 3 places higher! That said, would still represent an amazing recovery. 14 points behind Leicester after 25 games. I point ahead after 37. Just need to see this through by any means necessary.

Steven7290

We should be third with a 6 points lead. We'd be fecked if both chelsea and leicester hadn't screwed up twice!
If they hadn't screwed up we would still be 5th at the very best so I'm not sure what your point is? We could have done it, but we were not able to just like they could have not slipped? The situation is what it is right now and not ifs and buts

spiriticon

I can't believe how we are not comfortably in 3rd by now.

Dropping points to Southampton and West Ham ffs.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
If they hadn't screwed up we would still be 5th at the very best so I'm not sure what your point is? We could have done it, but we were not able to just like they could have not slipped? The situation is what it is right now and not ifs and buts
What im saying is that we've already bottled it and if we weren't lucky we'd be out of contention for CL.

Tiredness and tactics etc are all shit excuses. The real reason for us bottling it is pressure and pressure alone, its a mental issue rather than a physical one.

montpelier

At last, someone speaking sense! The current TV deal means that all 20 PL teams are in the top 30 in Europe, in terms of income. That means that the bottom half clubs have been able to strengthen their squad and that the gap between the top and bottom clubs, in terms of income and points accrued, is less than in SAF's time.
It certainly is this year, look at all the draws. But there's some ropey teams in this League. We were genuinely one of them at the time of the Burnley loss imo.

Do you really think Burnley, Newcastle, Sheff Utd are decent teams? Arsenal are a mess. The bottom 4 are possibly 2-3 players better than a fair few relegated teams during SAFs peak years. Above that there are mainly stockpiles of expensive players who haven't resembled a team much, those that aren't being managed well for half the year or more, or the overachievers, in patches mainly.

The idea this League has a load of strong teams I just don't believe. It possibly ought to be better than it is - us, Tottenham, Everton, West Ham ought to be better with their players. But City with a decent CB pair don't lose 9 games like they have. And they're still easily 2nd. This is a soft League 19/20. Utds 18 match run based on the recruitment of 1 player ought to tell us that.

montpelier

Oh yeah, Southampton, lost 9-0 at home and then revived, have never looked like going down. Palace - barely able to score, all the play through Zaha, the Serb? MF guy is an influence, that's your lot, they weren't ever in trouble either.
Newcastle got a CF who can't score and Shelvey. They find Saint Maxima from somewhere and look transformed - as much as they can.

Liverpool haven't lost at home for 3yrs. I'm not fecking surprised looking at some of the opposition and their lousy Managers - certainly compared to Klopp, who buys players for the positions he wants them play and not because of their high Fifa/FM rating.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Feck Chelsea. They have pretty much secured top 4 haven't they?
Feck them I hope we'll finish 3rd.

tjb

The lowest total points we gained was 2013/2014 with 64 points which got us 7th. So if we get a draw on a Sunday we equal that. I'm talking since the Premier League started.

Goes to show how poor the other teams were around us.

Source
Umm points don't equate to quality. We won in 1999 on 79 points and both us and Arsenal were strong that year.

Fooza

Umm points don't equate to quality. We won in 1999 on 79 points and both us and Arsenal were strong that year.
Err yeh but thats beside my point. That season 3rd place ended up with 75 pts.

We soon to be playing the last game of the season and we 3rd place with just 63 points. If we win we will just have beaten our lowest pt total by 2 and achieved third place.

That has to do with quality, all other teams fighting dropping consistent points. Regardless of how you look at it, its to do with quality of the middle to lower teams maybe doing much better or top teams being poor.

sport2793

It certainly is this year, look at all the draws. But there's some ropey teams in this League. We were genuinely one of them at the time of the Burnley loss imo.

Do you really think Burnley, Newcastle, Sheff Utd are decent teams? Arsenal are a mess. The bottom 4 are possibly 2-3 players better than a fair few relegated teams during SAFs peak years. Above that there are mainly stockpiles of expensive players who haven't resembled a team much, those that aren't being managed well for half the year or more, or the overachievers, in patches mainly.

The idea this League has a load of strong teams I just don't believe. It possibly ought to be better than it is - us, Tottenham, Everton, West Ham ought to be better with their players. But City with a decent CB pair don't lose 9 games like they have. And they're still easily 2nd. This is a soft League 19/20. Utds 18 match run based on the recruitment of 1 player ought to tell us that.
I dont know about Newcastle but I think Burnley and Sheffield United are in the top 10 in most seasons since 2000. They are both well managed and drilled.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The obsession with points totals are mental. Modern football. Couldn’t give a feck if we had less points than when Derby were relegated if we’re finishing 3rd compared to 6th that’s serious progress.

sport2793

Err yeh but thats beside my point. That season 3rd place ended up with 75 pts.

We soon to be playing the last game of the season and we 3rd place with just 63 points. If we win we will just have beaten our lowest pt total by 2 and achieved third place.

That has to do with quality, all other teams fighting dropping consistent points. Regardless of how you look at it, its to do with quality of the middle to lower teams maybe doing much better or top teams being poor.
As I stated before, with the PL income having massively increased especially for mid and lower table teams, there are better players throughout the table now than in prior seasons (thinking pre 2012). I mean if you look at Wolves, I don't think you can find a single team outside the top 6 since 2000 that has the level of investment and quality like them.

MacabbiUnited

Supports
Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
If e get the job done on Sunday I think we can feel good about this season. We made some great progress.

Plus, the last 3 ganes showed us that despite all the good we have going, we still have work to do in the market. So if that wakes up Ed from a dream that were already a perfect team, than thia could turn out for the best.

Sunday is our cup final, lets see what the boys are made of.