We finished 3rd: PL 2019/20

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
And that’s after an 18 match unbeaten run!!

Can you imagine where we’d be if that hasn’t happened?!
Well, you could say where would we be without the August-December relegation run. That’s the whole thing with a league season.

montpelier

The League isn't great at all - and City have managed to lose to half of it, that's the bit that puzzles me.

jamesjimmybyrondean

fecking finally even though it might change on Sunday but we've been outside top 4 for so long so let's just savour the moment

DavelinaJolie

The only way I can describe the CL race since the league returned is one team suffocating on its own farts (Leicester), another that appeared to being managing its farts well but has had a few follow throughs (Chelsea), and finally a team that used its farts to blow the doors off but appears to have run out of beans (Utd).

Farts are literally the only thing I can think of when I think about how all three of them have almost blown this.

sport2793

The League isn't great at all - and City have managed to lose to half of it, that's the bit that puzzles me.
It's because you cant compare points totals across seasons like so many people do here. If the bottom of the league is crap as was the case during 2000 to 2010 then it artificially inflates the point totals of the top sides. Literally you had a ton of teams just bending over for the big clubs and you didn't really have to fight for the right to play in every match. Now you have stronger teams throughout the table that has come about with the increased PL financial power relative to the rest of Europe.

RUCK4444

There's a bit more rest before Sunday than they've had recently.
Let's send them on a spa break for a couple of days, enforced rest, massages, facials, the works. Then ply them with pints of red bull and pep's special brew an hour before the match. Whatever it takes, whatever it takes!!!!

Ralph1386

The only way I can describe the CL race since the league returned is one team suffocating on its own farts (Leicester), another that appeared to being managing its farts well but has had a few follow throughs (Chelsea), and finally a team that used its farts to blow the doors off but appears to have run out of beans (Utd).

Farts are literally the only thing I can think of when I think about how all three of them have almost blown this.
We’re third with 63 pts only. Either the competition is bad or the gap between the bottom table and top table isn’t that big.

pav1790

Third, but not meaningfully. If other teams around us improve and we don’t, we will find ourselves sixth Or seventh again next season. Let’s close out EPL with a win. Get some rest, may be try and win Europa while resting Bruno and giving pogba a bit more freedom. Do the business in the preseason and come back next season looking like a top three side.

if we get there, it’s because no one else wanted it and we did, in the latter half. Ole has his work cut out. His full second season in charge will see a lot less patient fanbase. I personally wouldn’t mind us being comfortably second or third in the season run in next time around. That would indicate progress. That would tell us that Ole can improve. And hopefully it will silence the miserable moaners.

cyberman

Chelsea were better than us due to the tabke never lying.
Guess we are the third best side in the country after all

Revan

Assumptionman
We’re third with 63 pts only. Either the competition is bad or the gap between the bottom table and top table isn’t that big.
Considering that Liverpool have taken the piss out of most teams, clearly the competition is a bit bad (as was last year when 2 teams reached 95+ points).

If Liverpool would have won the title with 80 points or so, then yes, people might have assumed that the gap between the bottom and the top is not that big.

RedTiger

Half mast
Considering that Liverpool have taken the piss out of most teams, clearly the competition is a bit bad (as was last year when 2 teams reached 95+ points).

If Liverpool would have won the title with 80 points or so, then yes, people might have assumed that the gap between the bottom and the top is not that big.
A lot of teams unnecessarily shit the bed against them before we managed the draw, after our draw teams seemed to take the game to them a bit more.

Tyrion

Leaped two places after one of our shittest performances since the turn of the year. Football is weird.
Pretty much. Tbf, City have put in some woeful performances and they've been comfortably second all year. Unless you're going for the title, you can have terrible days and still succeed. Hell, we moaned plenty even back when we were winning leagues.

mattsville

The performances do not inspire confidence, if we do get a CL place somebody else will do it for us

Zlatattack

3 points against Leicester and we can play the kids in the Europa for all I care!

Revan

Assumptionman
A lot of teams unnecessarily shit the bed against them before we managed the draw, after our draw teams seemed to take the game to them a bit more.
That would have been nice, if it was true. Unfortunately, it is not. After the 1-1 draw, they won the next 18 (eighteen) EPL matches, including matches against Spurs (twice), United, City, Everton, Wolves (twice), Leicester scoring 43 and conceding 10.

Either it is a poor piss league, or Liverpool are the best EPL team ever. Probably neither (it is a relatively poor league while Liverpool are one of the best EPL teams ever IMO).

mu4c_20le

Just a reminder of what the table looked like at the start of december

OneUnited24

Leaped two places after one of our shittest performances since the turn of the year. Football is weird.
That stat I saw today just summed up the year. We are guaranteed top 4 if we get 2 points from our last two games but 3 points wouldn’t.
Still I’m happy that it’s in our own hands and we’re technically ahead of the chasing. Tonight’s point feels like a loss (given the performance) but even had we won it we still would have needed to avoid defeat on Sunday. And if we can’t do that do we even deserve to be in the UCL?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Shows how mad the points tallies are this year, last year 66 points was only good enough for 6th. You could easily finish 3rd with 64 points which must be one of the lowest in modern times for 3rd place.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
And please fecking well stay in.

Avoid defeat on Sunday and I'll be happy. Ole deserves credit for playing some genuinely good football, hopefully we get third in this topsy-turvy season and have a good go at the EL too.

abailey123

Win on Sunday and I’d genuinely give the first team 2 weeks off. LASK aren’t going to turn around a 5 goal deficit.

Crashoutcassius

It’s true, just reading this thread title made me feel a little guilty for my mood and criticisms after today’s game. In all reality; we are third, nobody has any game in hand on us, and it has been a phenomenal 2020 effort to claw ourselves back into this position. We have showed title-contending form for a few months now, and the squad is pushed to the limit, but we should feel proud of all of them.
Yes nice post

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Is it bad I want to draw on Sunday and hope Wolves do the rent boys?

RedDevil@84

Hoping Wolves will give their all to keep their 6th position and stop Spurs from taking that spot

RedDevil@84

It’s true, just reading this thread title made me feel a little guilty for my mood and criticisms after today’s game. In all reality; we are third, nobody has any game in hand on us, and it has been a phenomenal 2020 effort to claw ourselves back into this position. We have showed title-contending form for a few months now, and the squad is pushed to the limit, but we should feel proud of all of them.
Sshh.. Jose talked about being 2nd and gets dog's abuse for that here.