We finished 3rd: PL 2019/20

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I said in the Dybala thread we were going to get CL and you did not think so. I told you I would quote you when we did :) and I remembered that just now :)
So happy to be proven wrong :D

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Isn't the Wolves game actually the first game Bruno played for us ?
It is yeah, I think he might've played in a two in midfield next to Fred or Pereira or someone?

AneRu

Absolutely great achievement, considering where we were in January.

keithsingleton

Phew... Well that was a relief today. Manchester United back in the big time where they quite rightly belong. Now I'm not for a second thinking we can win it with the present team but least it's no Thursday nites for the foreseeable future. No rub down from our rivals, especially newly promoted side Scum Leeds.

Today Ole recieved his season ticket for the 20/21 season so Pochettino appointment now looks as if it's on hold.
The game itself certainly wasn't one of our best but taking the circumstances into consideration it was all about the result and not the performance.

As most of us know going forward we still need to add to the squad. With today's results I'm hoping we can at least add another 3 players, probably wishful thinking but as fans that's all we can do. I'm pretty sure we will get Sancho even though he isn't my No 1 target, that responsibility goes to a much needed CB.

As fans we can now feel a little postive after today's result, theirs no doubt we're going forward as a team and slowly building momentum. Fingers crossed we do well in the summer transfer market and not just fighting for the 3rd place.

COME ON YOU REDS.

Cloud7

Good steps forward. If you told me in January we would end the season in third I wouldn’t have believed it, but full credit to the team for the great form we’ve shown since the restart. Here’s hoping we can solidify and build on this for next season.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Professional performance in the end. Worked hard, not the best from Bruno but he can supply the quality when needed.

Greenwood grows in stature, Martial predatory as ever. Victor was superb.

Really pleased for Ole. Given where we were prior to restart, it's an excellent effort from the team.

Let's try and get the Europa now. Nothing to lose

King Eric 7

We've had some real fecking lows this season, some of them not so long ago :lol: We've also had a lot of highs too. So happy with getting third place after the season we've had, especially the poor start. Hoping and expecting this to give us a real springboard to 1) have a very decent transfer window given the prestige of the CL and the money it will bring and 2) be a lot more consistent next season and really find a way to steamroller teams in the bottom half of the table.

Really buzzing and hope that the pressure is off now with regards to the EL and we can give some game time to players who have been sitting on the sidelines.

Giggsyking

unpopular opinion, I dont want Ole to stay next season (I know this will never happen), I know he made many good changes in the team we would never see with the toxic one and Van Gaal, but, I aim for the stars, I want the EPL, I want the team to be a force in the league and europe again. I have nothing against him but I never feel we play as a big team, we always play with margins. But at last I have to congratulate him and myself for the third position (it is the least we should do).

MiracleInMadrid

In the context of how the first half of the season went, it has been a very promising progress we have went through.

After the first match of 2020 we were 14 points off Leicester, and from round to round interchanging between 5th and 8th place with the likes of Sheffield, Wolves and Spurs. To slowly work our way out of that mess and to surpass Leicester with 4 points is quite an achievement.

Fair to celebrate that. But we need to be right at it from the start of next season.

The Irish Connection

Absolutely brilliant achievement in the end. Yes, we stumbled over the finish line but since Bruno has arrived, we’ve looked miles better. If we had Bruno from the start of the season we probably would have comfortably made 3rd.
Matic my man of the match today, brilliant defensively, Lindelof close behind him.

Really hope we buy two or three top players for next season to build on this.

RK

Great stuff from Ole and the lads. Very happy but a strange season. I feel as exhausted as the players looked.

RedfromIreland

Personally I thought today was an excellent controlled display to obtain our objective.
The league's top goal scorer never had a sniff and we were onto their mistakes in a flash to seal the victory and earn 3rd spot.
Our form post lockdown has been great and our stats have been first class.
Well done to Ole and the lads and I look forward to next season with renewed hope.

el3mel

Thought this would make interesting reading!

Our form post the restart has been a title winning one. The next challenge will be to copy such form over an entire course of a season. Hopefully we manage to do something close to this next season.

Revan

Assumptionman
Our form post the restart has been a title winning one. The next challenge will be to copy such form over an entire course of a season. Hopefully we manage to do something close to this next season.
It has not. It has been very good (even better than our form since Bruno came which is already quite good) but nowhere a title-winning one.

Gasolin

It has not. It has been very good (even better than our form since Bruno came which is already quite good) but nowhere a title-winning one.
Why? It’s 8 wins and 4 draws, 28 pts, you x3 that and it’s 84 pts for 36 games, you could end up with 2 more wins at 90 pts. That’s a very good side, could win the PL in some years.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Why? It’s 8 wins and 4 draws, 28 pts, you x3 that and it’s 84 pts for 36 games, you could end up with 2 more wins at 90 pts. That’s a very good side, could win the PL in some years.
This team isn’t good enough yet to even contemplate going entire season unbeaten, let alone the fact that it’s virtually impossible anyway!

Gasolin

This team isn’t good enough yet to even contemplate going entire season unbeaten, let alone the fact that it’s virtually impossible anyway!
If rotation is possible, the mindset and the quality is there. I think that’s fine.

The Oracle

I wonder what the catalyst was.......

BRUNO :)

Agreed... Bruno has been outstanding!

I wonder if that run is indicative of the team we are shaping into, i.e. we won't put together winning runs of 6, 7, plus games, but we will be hard to beat?

Revan

Assumptionman
Because in the last 4 seasons, the champions had 93, 100, 98 and 99 points. So, with our post-lockdown form, we still reach 89 points (rounded) which is quite short compared to what is nowadays needed to win the title. In fact, with 89 points in 2 of the last 4 seasons, the difference on points with the champion is on double-digits.

El Zoido

It’s absolutely astonishing we finished third considering where we were at the start of the year. Huge credit to everyone at the club really, we’ve been brilliant.

Gasolin

Because in the last 4 seasons, the champions had 93, 100, 98 and 99 points. So, with our post-lockdown form, we still reach 89 points (rounded) which is quite short compared to what is nowadays needed to win the title. In fact, with 89 points in 2 of the last 4 seasons, the difference on points with the champion is on double-digits.
89? I thought it would be 90. We will see where we stand. There’s a correlation between our pts and the other teams.

Lord Megadrive

Flautist in training
Between the Motorola 68000 and Yamaha YM2612
I think that IF us and Chelsea strengthen then the champions having to win 100, 99 or 95 points is going to be the exception rather than the norm. Because the last few years there’s only been 2 teams challenging and they’ve usually taken more points of the other members of the top 6, so as these 4-6 teams get better then you will most likely need less points to win the league. Purely because the points will be distributed more evenly.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think that IF us and Chelsea strengthen then the champions having to win 100, 99 or 95 points is going to be the exception rather than the norm. Because the last few years there’s only been 2 teams challenging and they’ve usually taken more points of the other members of the top 6, so as these 4-6 teams get better then you will most likely need less points to win the league. Purely because the points will be distributed more evenly.
That's a fair point, but you have to consider that Spurs were very strong in the last 2 seasons, and Chelsea were decent, and still clubs reached that 95+. Or before Liverpool became challengers, they were still quite good, but City reached 100.

At the end, even if United and Chelsea strengthen, there are only 18 points in play between top 4. Get only half of them, and you can still lose another 10 points and reach 95. Of course, even if these two teams strengthen, still there will be one team better than the others who would get more than 9 points.

In all honesty, I don't see Liverpool dropping under 95 (and definitely not under 90) in the next 2 years. No player is old and the manager is great. City depends if they drop another 300m this season or not, cause their team is aging and need reinforcements.