We have conceded some truly comical goals this season

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Young Boys had something like 20 shots if I remember correctly. If you allow the opposition to take so many shots then those "comical goals" will happen.
We were lucky against Wolves, but not today.
It's not so much the shots as allowing constant pressure on your own goal for an entire half. Regardless of how well you defend or how clueless the opposition are, doing this for an entire half very rarely works out well. It only take a mistake or lucky deflection or someone being distracted for a second. Over that amount of time the odds of none of that happening are pretty low.

We were lucky against wolves but at least we gave ourselves a chance there by not just sitting in our own area all game. It was luck mixed in with some very good defending and goalkeeping and a bit of resilience. Last night was just a half of complete idiocy.

Also my favourite comedy goal is still the one against Spurs last season where Maguire challenged himself for the ball about 4 times in a row, fouled two of his own players, and then at the end somehow lost the ball to himself and let them score. He's done well to actually convince me he's a good player after that as I gave up on him at that point.

There's a high probability of something odd happening if you allow so many shots. And then you have a feeling like it's bad luck.
This is something I think a lot of people just don't understand. You see it all the time here and elsewhere, especially when someone's trying the "stats are nonsense, just watch the game" angle.

My favorite was a Spurs fan somewhere else a few months ago saying "if the other team has 20 shots and they're all worth 0.1 expected goals, the stats will say you expected to concede 2 goals in the game. But they were all 0.1 chances, therefore not big ones! Therefore the stats are useless!". Er, no, they're not, that's literally the point. If you let the other team have 20 shots in 90 minutes from positions where 1 in 10 shots usually lead to goals, it's not unlucky if they score two.

Hughie77

We were even lucky against Newcastle according to Merson! . Maybe the 4 goals we scored were all just given to us. The young boys result was waiting to happen !! Yeah the crystal ball everyone has, new we would have a guy sent off, a weak ref and a brain fart from a player on 95 mins. Yep everyone seen that coming !