We have conceded some truly comical goals this season

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
After that second goal tonight that included 3 or 4 individual errors from our players, it struck me that we have managed to concede some truly baffling goals this season.

This thought was compounded by the 4th goal and Henderson doing an impression of a traffic cone.*

So between these, Sheffield United away (1st goal) and home (2nd goal), Leicester in the Cup, and of course Istanbul away... The question begs, what takes the crown for the most farcical? (and am I forgetting any?)

*might be harsh on traffic cones

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Sheff Utd away.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The last goal today was unbelievable.
Henderson gave Salah the biggest most open goal I think I can remember a premier league keeper giving someone.

Unbelievable.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
The Everton last minute equaliser was also a joke... Says something about the ones already mentioned that it's not as bad as those!

BlueHaze

The 1-6 to tottenham one of the goals was some of the most scary shit at elite level. Like I was just sitting there thinking how is it even possible to be this bad.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
After the season is over someone needs to make a compilation of defensive brain farts and upload it on youtube.

Edy2

Oli burke for sheff u at home was one of the worst goals I've ever seen us concede. There were about 10 errors before the ball hit the net.

Although tonight's goals may make me rethink that.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
The 1-6 to tottenham one of the goals was some of the most scary shit at elite level. Like I was just sitting there thinking how is it even possible to be this bad.
Vibes of that today. Good start and then we went to shit.

spiriticon

Oli burke for sheff u at home was one if the worst goals I've ever seen us conceded. There were about 10 errors before the ball hit the net.
Oh yes I remember that nightmare. Fuming.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
The one where Maguire pulled Shaw to the ground just before he cleared the ball you're thinking of I would say.

The winner of this thread is Istanbul away. That can't be topped

Idxomer

Really can't pick between Istanbul and Sheffield, both goals are as bad as each other.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Basically every goal we have conceded has been pure Bantz FC. Usually involving one of our players making a mad unforced error. I can't remember how many times I have seen us concede and thought: wow, that's just quality nobody could defend that.

He'sRaldo

Oli burke for sheff u at home was one of the worst goals I've ever seen us concede. There were about 10 errors before the ball hit the net.

Although tonight's goals may make me rethink that.
The one where Maguire pulled Shaw to the ground just before he cleared the ball you're thinking of I would say.

The winner of this thread is Istanbul away. That can't be topped
Jesus forgot about these two. I reckon they give Istanbul a run for it's money.

Dominos

There was a couple in the 6-1 Spurs game. Maguire giving the ball away twice in his own box and then dragging Shaw down when trying to block. The one where we gave a free kick away and didn't stand over the ball and they played Son through on goal like the defence wasn't even there.

Martial own goal against PSG away :lol: luckily we got away with that one.

spiriticon

The Sheffield goal, looked like we're urging them to score and in the end, Tuanzebe put it in the net for them.
What is worst for me is that we gave up a realistic title challenge to THAT goal.

Thinking of it makes me fume to this day.

Suedesi

After that second goal tonight that included 3 or 4 individual errors from our players, it struck me that we have managed to concede some truly baffling goals this season.

This thought was compounded by the 4th goal and Henderson doing an impression of a traffic cone.*

So between these, Sheffield United away (1st goal) and home (2nd goal), Leicester in the Cup, and of course Istanbul away... The question begs, what takes the crown for the most farcical? (and am I forgetting any?)

*might be harsh on traffic cones
Everton? Or was that last season?

Annihilate Now!

Scout
That wasn't comical, just really poor defending of a set piece.
Yeah fair point, though as far as set piece defending this season goes I'd put it at the top... How the feck do you concede from a free kick in the half way line.

Zoo

Istanbul was far worse this was just a bad error by Lingard. The humour is in the timing, right at the death.

ti vu

when we score it is individual brilliance. when we concede it can't be considered an individual mistake, more a failure of tactics.
Did you hear yourself? You just draw a common denominator: the tactical system seems to be absent in other scenario.

Dominos

when we score it is individual brilliance. when we concede it can't be considered an individual mistake, more a failure of tactics.
Not getting a touch of the ball in the whole 2nd half against Young Boys is failure of tactics, that's why people are frustrated with the performance.

Lingard being brought on to play upfront when he can't play with his back to goal or hold the ball up was the manager's decision. As was his decision to move him into midfield in place of Fred with a few minutes to go.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Continuing to make brain farts suggests something wrong. There is something about this side that causes losses of composure in high pressure moments. We are at risk of becoming what we used to mock Arsenal for being: A team that flatters to deceive and can only do it when we are underdogs.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Young Boys had something like 20 shots if I remember correctly. If you allow the opposition to take so many shots then those "comical goals" will happen.
We were lucky against Wolves, but not today.

mu4c_20le

Young Boys had something like 20 shots if I remember correctly. If you allow the opposition to take so many shots then those "comical goals" will happen.
We were lucky against Wolves, but not today.
You dont even remember those shots. Thats how insignificant they were.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
You dont even remember those shots. Thats how insignificant they were.
It doesn't matter. There's a high probability of something odd happening if you allow so many shots. And then you have a feeling like it's bad luck.
I don't remember Wolves chances either, but I know they had quite a few as well. We're a disaster off the ball.