We have got better at moving on and managing players?

TheReligion

Abusive
Arguably moving on Sanchez and his wages will be the base we work from with regards to our upcoming business in the transfer market. It's a great move and done really early which sets us up nicely. When you consider the money we got back for some of our other big money signings like Di Maria and Lukaku then look at how we moved on Zaha and Depay with sell on/buy backs and shifted Schneiderlin, turned down Falcao and used the loan system to develop Dean Henderson, are we getting things much better in this area than we have been for some time?

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
It certainly is refreshing. Since Ole came in the club has not made many bad moves in the transfer market for incoming players. So much different from the scattergun approach in the past, throwing enough money around and hoping it sticks has been disasterous.

Moving players on is getting better as well, which is great to see and will help massively in the long term.

AmanNits04

The most important reason for this is that we have a manager who actually puts the club ahead of him. He thinks about the club like his own, that's why it's easier to single out players who need to be sold and we are moving on past the manager problems and who issues

davidmichael

We’re certainly getting better BUT reality is we really couldn’t get any worse with moving players on and we’ve probably been the worst of all big clubs in Europe in moving players on and retaining ones that should have been.

We couldn’t move Jones on so rather than let him go on a free we gave him a four year deal in the hope someone would pay a fee to have him on their treatment table instead of ours, basically did the same thing with Rojo too then tried selling him every transfer window since.

For me the incomings have been just as bad as the outgoings though and pretty much each change of manager saw us discard many of the previous managers buys yet not move them on but still buy more on top thus leaving us with a ridiculously bloated squad and an even more ridiculous wage bill.

It’s something Ole should really get credit for as he’s pretty much cleared the majority of deadwood and continues to do so without us getting fecked over whilst bringing in a much better profile of players and rather than just buy for the sake of it we’ve used young players if we couldn’t sign who he wanted, it’s clear he’s wanted Sancho for over a year yet rather than go for a far inferior signing just to spend money he’s brought Greenwood through.

Adding quality to the squad whilst we’ve got an exciting group of youngsters in Laird, Mengi, Devine, Garner, Levitt and Mejbri coming through added to Williams and Greenwood having come through already this season is brilliant player management and development.

GenZRed

Certainly. One of the reasons why we are moving forward under Ole and he should be kept on, not like there's anyone calling for him to be sacked.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
The most important reason for this is that we have a manager who actually puts the club ahead of him. He thinks about the club like his own, that's why it's easier to single out players who need to be sold and we are moving on past the manager problems and who issues
Exactly. Ole is ticking all the boxes around recruitment and character. He knows what a successful dressing room feels like and wants the right mix of young talent and experienced professionals. He's handling the overhaul better than anyone else post-Fergie.

stevoc

I'd like to wait and see if we can shift Lingard, Jones, Smalling, Rojo and Mata for decent prices before being certain we've got better at it.

binary bot
We're just making smarter signings. With young players like Depay, Zaha and even Dan James, there's little risk in terms of money - youth means they'll still be an attractive asset to buyers regardless of what happens, and established players like Lukaku and Di Maria don't want to waste their prime years. We neglected these signings in Fergie's last few years and it's a big reason why we've struggled. The one we did make became one of the best keepers in the world.

28/29 being too old has become a meme on here but it really is the point where players are performing at a high level and can deceive you into thinking it'll be maintained. Combine this with likely getting no return and it being their last big contract then it completely fecks the structure of your squad. I'm not against signing these players, but there's a time for it.

AmanNits04

Exactly. Ole is ticking all the boxes around recruitment and character. He knows what a successful dressing room feels like and wants the right mix of young talent and experienced professionals. He's handling the overhaul better than anyone else post-Fergie.
One thing which we lacked was signing the players with wrong profiles or the transfers not working for us. but now, I think almost all of Ole's transfers have contributed to the team in some way or another. There is definitely a different feel now. I am sure in the next two three windows, we will sell the deadwood we have and buy/promote players who would excel.

I feel like i had to read the title at least 5 times to understand the question :lol:

Thaila-X

There seems to be a more clear, coherent strategy in terms of getting rid of dead wood whilst bringing in players whether they be signings or through the academy. Have we fully turned a corner on recruitment? I'm not sure but we seem to be going in the right direction.

dal

Ole puts the club first, that’s the difference.

He also has a clear strategy and doesn’t want any mercenaries. It’s so simple yet the most simplest things are often the most hardest.

romufc

I have seen some fans moan about us targeting English players, criticising Ole saying he knows nothing but.

However; it isn't just english players Ole wants, he wants the best PL players he can get, which is a strategy used by teams who want to challenge.

Yes you do spend money on talent from abroad too, to compliment what you have.

Liverpool - Signed VVD, Wijnaldum, Mane - Proven PL players
City - Walker, Sterling, Mahrez even KDB had played int he PL
Chelsea - When they won the league, signed Matic, Kante, Fabregas

Getting the right players makes a big difference. Fans love giving names of all these European players, they take a while to adjust to the PL, I know there are exceptions.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sort of, didn’t Van Gaal shift loads of deadwood? The only problem being he then replaced them with his own.