We have had absolutely horrendous decisions against us this year

MattofManchester

Victim mentality.

But if I'm indulging, it's kinda balanced out by the shocking finishing of teams against us.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

I kinda feel VAR has balanced itself out for us. However, we need to be putting teams away so we aren't hoping beyond hope for the officials to help. We are really rotten at times.

tomaldinho1

When 2 players going for the ball/header, 1 jumped and the other didn't. The referee will always favor the player that jumped and got to the ball first.

If Lindelof did jumped together then it would most likely be a foul as his jump would be impeded by the striker hands.

Again, I have seen the decision went the other way. Its 50-50.
This is not true.

Think of the issue with Kane and how he wins free kicks by backing in which will seriously injure someone. Refs go by player reactions and are wildly inconsistent.

tomaldinho1

It’s pretty even for me.

VAR standards are just getting worse for everyone.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Didn't Ole say he didn't think that the decision was a foul, just that the refs are inconsistent?

Personally, I don't either. Victor should be shoving his hand away and fighting to get in front of Diagne, not shying away like he did.

I think Victor's timidity makes it look worse than it actually is.
To be honest, we've had some fortune but over a season, I don't think it's evened out... maybe it will.

I'd take these two ⬇ either way if refs/VAR were consistent. Say Maguire's is a foul and today's is a foul.... OR say Maguire was a bit stronger and so was the West Brom lad and they both count.

Anyone who wants to see how officials/video technology should be used, watch the Scotland red in the rugby yesterday. Ref and TMO discuss, make the right decision... it's not rocket science

MattofManchester

To be honest, we've had some fortune but over a season, I don't think it's evened out... maybe it will.

I'd take these two ⬇ either way if refs/VAR were consistent. Say Maguire's is a foul and today's is a foul.... OR say Maguire was a bit stronger and so was the West Brom lad and they both count.

Anyone who wants to see how officials/video technology should be used, watch the Scotland red in the rugby yesterday. Ref and TMO discuss, make the right decision... it's not rocket science

To be honest, I think they're both goals, and yes, the refereeing is shocking in the PL. To the extent that there needs to be in match feedback on how they make these decisions.

The problem with Lindelof there for me is that he kind of puts himself in that position. He allows himself to be bullied. An assertive CB and Diagne doesn't get near it.
Its telling how long Lindelof allows him to keep hold of his arm, which would prevent Lindelof from jumping.

We've had some bad decisions go against us but a few for us as well.
But pretty much every team is having the same issue. Southampton today, you could even say.
It's not just us.

roseguy64

Are people being thick & contrary on purpose? In what world is that not a foul on Lindelof? Elbow him on the back and then cover his face with the hand? Doesn’t matter if Lindelof is weak or not, its a blatant foul.
Also, we are not relying on refs to help win the game. We are relying on refs not to feck us over so that we don’t end up with a handicap in these games. That we were bad is a separate issue, it does not absolve the refs of the awful decisions against us.
Agreed. Our performance is separate from the bad decisions. Also, the bad decisions affect the performance.

RyRoc

Every single Premier League club without fail will have a similar thread on their football forum...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Every single Premier League club without fail will have a similar thread on their football forum...
I think that’s the issue here. We have had some rotten decisions go against us. But so has every club. Including decisions that went in our favour. Although that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be allowed to have a moan, obviously.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Agreed. VAR was supposed to reduce bad decisions but its having the opposite effect.

But todays WBA goal was the biggest feck up we have had under VAR in the PL. What's the point in VAR if it cant correct the most basic errors by a ref?

Red71

Bit embarrassing, this level of biased nonsense used to be restricted to the matchday thread. We're really starting to hit peak RAWK on here.
I’m embarrassed that you’re embarrassed to be honest. Why can’t United fans point out on a United football site that we’ve just been turned over by a shocking refereeing decision AGAIN...when they’ve got fecking VAR there to check it!!??

Twice now in quick succession the ref has effectively given a goal start against us to two teams scrapping for their lives...I agree with all the arguments about the state of Lindelof, as well as our form at the moment, but when you have shocking decisions like these against you (and we’re getting soft as shite decisions against us to chalk off goals), are we just meant to laugh it off? I’m fecking fuming we’ve been done again. If we can’t bring it up here, what is the point of the Cafe?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You’re right, but ref decisions against Sheffield & West Brom should be the difference between winning 5-0 & winning 4-1. They should be basically inconsequential. Refs are incompetent in England, of course, we know that, but they shouldn’t stop us comfortably dispatching the shittest teams in the league. We have ourselves to blame. We saw an opportunity to mount a serious league challenge & we bottled it. Call it what it is.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I’m embarrassed that you’re embarrassed to be honest. Why can’t United fans point out on a United football site that we’ve just been turned over by a shocking refereeing decision AGAIN...when they’ve got fecking VAR there to check it!!??

Twice now in quick succession the ref has effectively given a goal start against us to two teams scrapping for their lives...I agree with all the arguments about the state of Lindelof, as well as our form at the moment, but when you have shocking decisions like these against you (and we’re getting soft as shite decisions against us to chalk off goals), are we just meant to laugh it off? I’m fecking fuming we’ve been done again. If we can’t bring it up here, what is the point of the Cafe?
It’s genuinely massively infuriating to see people be so blasé about this.

“it happens to everyone” I hear. How many other teams have lost 2-1 and the referee come out afterwards and admit they should have had a goal disallowed and we should have had a goal given?
Only for the same ref to then give a goal that was a blatant foul next game?

we recently won a game 9-0 andwe had a dodgy penaltyto make it 7 and that was spoken about for AGES!

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Can you name a shocker that went in our favour this season?

Compared to the likes of City, who have had rules rewritten because they managed to benefit from laughable decisions, I'd suggest that it's very imbalanced.
Cool show me the screenshot with the lines. We both know you can't, because if it could be shown to be out of play, it wouldn't have counted.

And that's pretty much the size of it, your best "gotcha" is an unprovable debateable decision vs blatant inconsistency we've suffered
Just to be clear, are you actually questioning whether that ball was out of play or not?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
You’re right, but ref decisions against Sheffield & West Brom should be the difference between winning 5-0 & winning 4-1. They should be basically inconsequential. Refs are incompetent in England, of course, we know that, but they shouldn’t stop us comfortably dispatching the shittest teams in the league. We have ourselves to blame. We saw an opportunity to mount a serious league challenge & we bottled it. Call it what it is.
I see people saying this but sometimes you have to scrape by against the shit sides. They circle the date on their calendar and play with intense concentration throughout the whole game because it's a massive day for them. They'll then go and play against someone like Newcastle and lose comfortably because they'll be more lax and open against teams in and around them they think they could beat.

City only beat Sheffield Utd 1 - 0. Imagine if Ederson got fouled and they scored a similar goal there and City only drew. Didn't happen though so City get a 1 - 0 win and they're still chugging along like a winning machine.

You can't always expect to beat the bottom teams 5 - 0. They up their game massively against top teams (us especially it seems).

Also, both times these goals have been scored pretty early on and given Sheffield Utd/WBA a platform to defend from. It meant they did not need to risk players going forward and could set into a defensive shape for the majority of the game. If the goals are correctly ruled out I think we win both games. If that happens we're 1 point behind City.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Mourinho, Lampard, Klopp have all taken a swipe at Utd claiming bias. I’ll ask again do you actually watch Utd games?
1) You didn’t ask that question previously (check your text), so none of that please. And yes I watch Utd games or I wouldn’t comment.

2) Can’t see much between either Lampard &, Mourinho, and Solskjaer. Sounds like you’re creating excuses to deflect your anger over poor results. Don’t worry, loads of football fans do it. The key, self-aware part is recognising it.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Cool show me the screenshot with the lines. We both know you can't, because if it could be shown to be out of play, it wouldn't have counted.

And that's pretty much the size of it, your best "gotcha" is an unprovable debateable decision vs blatant inconsistency we've suffered
You are running rings round yourself. Can I just be clear; are you suggesting the ball might not have been out? This will be a key indicator in quite how rose tinted your specs are. Do you think there is ANY reasonable chance the ball was in.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
The three games where we've lost points and it's derailed us somewhat (SHU, Everton, WBA) have all had shocking decisions.

1) The game vs SHU - has been posted to death, but how their first goal stood and ours was wiped off was ridiculous.
2) The game vs Everton - Fred wins the ball ahead of James Rodriguez. James kicks Freds foot, goes down like he's been shot and the foul is given against Fred. They score from the move from the free kick.
3) Clear foul on Lindelof for WBA's opener - not even reviewed.

It's very frustrating - VAR was supposed to make the game less controversial, but it's making things way too inconsistent.

The Hilton

Just to be clear, are you actually questioning whether that ball was out of play or not?
You are running rings round yourself. Can I just be clear; are you suggesting the ball might not have been out? This will be a key indicator in quite how rose tinted your specs are. Do you think there is ANY reasonable chance the ball was in.
You've replied twice, for some reason. You know you could have just edited the hyperbole into your original post, right?

You've claimed that the ball went out of play, the burden of proof is on you to back up that claim.

This one should be pretty simple. As I've already said, show me some proof that the ball was out of play, and I'll change my view.

As I said previously, while I was "running rings around myself" (which, presumably, is what you call asking you to back up your position with proof and not emotionally charged hyperbole), if it could be proven that the ball had gone out, as with offsides and the millimetre accuracy lines we get to see, then it would have been and the goal would have been disallowed.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
You've replied twice, for some reason. You know you could have just edited the hyperbole into your original post, right?

You've claimed that the ball went out of play, the burden of proof is on you to back up that claim.

This one should be pretty simple. As I've already said, show me some proof that the ball was out of play, and I'll change my view.

As I said previously, while I was "running rings around myself" (which, presumably, is what you call asking you to back up your position with proof and not emotionally charged hyperbole), if it could be proven that the ball had gone out, as with offsides and the millimetre accuracy lines we get to see, then it would have been and the goal would have been disallowed.
They proved it on MOTD that night... they showed an image with a line that showed the ball clearly went out of play (by a clear distance too). Problem is that image took them like half an hour to build, and VAR simply didn't have that technology so couldn't make a decision in real time.

Even Ole said the ball went over his head after the game!

The Hilton

They proved it on MOTD that night... they showed an image with a line that showed the ball clearly went out of play (by a clear distance too). Problem is that image took them like half an hour to build, and VAR simply didn't have that technology so couldn't make a decision in real time.

Even Ole said the ball went over his head after the game!
I haven't seen that image - can you post it?

I'll happily add it to the "dodgy decisions for" column if I see an image showing it is. Even if it is though, we're still well in the red for decisions.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I haven't seen that image - can you post it?

I'll happily add it to the "dodgy decisions for" column if I see an image showing it is. Even if it is though, we're still well in the red for decisions.

This is probably the best (worst?) thing that's gone our way.

The worst against us would be the non Maguire goal in my opinion.

Eternitiy

I agree with the concept of VAR, but it has spoiled the game. The decisions are arbitrary; and the offside rule and application is particularly infuriating. Almost all of the decisions made by VAR are the subjective opinion of an incident from the officials, why have a third party review the incident and then the on pitch referee review it again? It should only be done for huge errors made on the pitch. Even the lines drawn for offside are really suspect - what if they have the wrong frame? It's impossible to measure a live game with one image. And the new offside interpretation is bizarre, players know they are offside playing a meaningless phase of play. What if a player gets seriously injured when the play should have stopped? It doesn't make sense.

The Hilton

This is probably the best (worst?) thing that's gone our way.

The worst against us would be the non Maguire goal in my opinion.
Haven't seen that before, that's further out than I would expect given the angle.

Definitely a decision in our favour, but it's less due to incompetent officials and/or stupid rules, and more because there simply isn't the technology to verify it.

croadyman

I refused to blame the VAR against Sheff Utd as we should have had more than enough to still win a home game without the need of help from the officials, however in a tight big six game like today I feel much more frustrated because chances are always likely to be few and far between and needed that to go in our favour.

Womp

idiot
We got away with one when we played Chelsea when Maguire choke slammed Azpi. What goes around comes around and all that.

The fact that we needed a penalty to try and nick a win at one of the big boys - is what I'd be more worried about

MileStolar

Does anyone thinks there might be corruption in the English football? Like bribed referees or something? It is weird that English football had notoriously the worst refereeing in Europe for quite some time and it's not getting addressed, but rather getting worse.

England is a big country there must be enough good referees to arbiter 10 games a week, but I feel like they can't get there because the FA intentionally allows bad referring, , maybe even encourages it.

Grande

I refused to blame the VAR against Sheff Utd as we should have had more than enough to still win a home game without the need of help from the officials, however in a tight big six game like today I feel much more frustrated because chances are always likely to be few and far between and needed that to go in our favour.
To be honest, I blame referees regardless of how well we play if they turn up against us. We’ve had a few belters in a row lately, and every time I seem to find myself writing ‘but this was the worst so far.’

But this was the worst so far. Referee overturns VAR and his own eyes because, by his own admission, he simply doesn’t know the rules. ‘Because he felt that the hand didn’t move towards the ball’. The handball rule has nothing in it about hand moving towards the ball, rather, it’s been pretty strictly pointed out that if your hands are out from the body or shoulder height, it’s a hand ball even if the ball hit you from a yard of distance. Which, with all the debates the last few years, everybody will have known very well. Bar This one. No wonder he goes by ‘feeling’ instead of by ‘judging’, when he don’t know the rules.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We got away with one when we played Chelsea when Maguire choke slammed Azpi. What goes around comes around and all that.

The fact that we needed a penalty to try and nick a win at one of the big boys - is what I'd be more worried about
In the same game didn't Chelsea player also did the same to Maguire or some other player? Remember some pics was posted here.

Eternitiy

I agree with the concept of VAR, but it has spoiled the game. The decisions are arbitrary; and the offside rule and application is particularly infuriating. Almost all of the decisions made by VAR are the subjective opinion of an incident from the officials, why have a third party review the incident and then the on pitch referee review it again? It should only be done for huge errors made on the pitch. Even the lines drawn for offside are really suspect - what if they have the wrong frame? It's impossible to measure a live game with one image. And the new offside interpretation is bizarre, players know they are offside playing a meaningless phase of play. What if a player gets seriously injured when the play should have stopped? It doesn't make sense.
There is no consistency, no accountability, I really dislike what has happened to this game. The referees do as they please rather than objective making decisions based on evidence given. Perplexing situation, it deeply upsets me.