We have had absolutely horrendous decisions against us this year

rollingstoned1

Go moaning to the press that your opposition gets a lot of decisions in their favor and voila. Ole's problem is he doesn't know how to have a proper whinge that would put pressure on officials just so they wouldn't be in the spotlight.

Fitchett

Does anyone thinks there might be corruption in the English football? Like bribed referees or something? It is weird that English football had notoriously the worst refereeing in Europe for quite some time and it's not getting addressed, but rather getting worse.

England is a big country there must be enough good referees to arbiter 10 games a week, but I feel like they can't get there because the FA intentionally allows bad referring, , maybe even encourages it.
Yes, I think English football is corrupt. But, I don't think that the refs are bribed. I think it all stems from the top, in that the Premier League wants to stage manage the league, by evening things up, to make the league "more exciting" and where "it's the only top league in Europe where the bottom teams can beat the top ones." The referees are the obvious ones who can control the outcomes of games. We see their incompetence every week, even (especially) after the introduction of VAR, yet are any of them demoted or taken off the list? Why is Mike Riley still in post as referees chief, unless he's part of this circus?

Of course, there is also the peculiar English quirk of favouring the underdog and hating anyone who is successful, which could explain what goes on.

In the end, I believe it is all about money. The Premier League wants to stage manage the competition, to generate controversy and therefore interest, which it believes will generate more money. In that respect, it's worse than WWE, which makes no pretence about being a proper, fair sport.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't think we've suffered some great injustice, all things considered, and we did ride our luck a few times (and a lot more last season). But it is a problem that we don't protect our own players - such as James being fouled frequently and pretty much every game at least one foul is a definite yellow, Lindelof being fouled for the West Brom goal, de Gea being fouled a couple of times leading to goals, etc. - and when it happens we don't make a big deal out of it. Neither players nor manager. And that is just beyond stupid. And in that sense, we make our own luck.

SAF would have loaded ammunition lasting years with this.

croadyman

I don't think we've suffered some great injustice, all things considered, and we did ride our luck a few times (and a lot more last season). But it is a problem that we don't protect our own players - such as James being fouled frequently and pretty much every game at least one foul is a definite yellow, Lindelof being fouled for the West Brom goal, de Gea being fouled a couple of times leading to goals, etc. - and when it happens we don't make a big deal out of it. Neither players nor manager. And that is just beyond stupid. And in that sense, we make our own luck.

SAF would have loaded ammunition lasting years with this.
Yeah Ole coming out yesterday and saying some stuff was a step in the right direction but definitely needs to keep up this siege mentality thing that used to serve Fergie well in the difficult times

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
This thread is bollix.
If you are on your game and good enough, bad luck, bad reffing, bad weather, good opposition is just not allowed to matter.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
This thread is bollix.
If you are on your game and good enough, bad luck, bad reffing, bad weather, good opposition is just not allowed to matter.
I was expecting white text but do you really not think that title winning teams sometimes require some kind of 'external' factors working in their favor?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah Ole coming out yesterday and saying some stuff was a step in the right direction but definitely needs to keep up this siege mentality thing that used to serve Fergie well in the difficult times
It was the first time he's done that.

arthurka

It was the first time he's done that.
That might actually help that he never comments on these things. When he does someone might actually listen. But then again the the beaming white toothed German seems to spew rubbish every week and he gets heard all the time. So who the hell knows.

I still don´t get the logic of not giving the pen vs Chelsea it´s as clear handball as I have ever seen. The rule is clear and even VAR sent him to take a look because there was a clear error there.
But I don´t think we have had it worse or better than anyone, all teams have had their share of this and there is the problem for me. It was put there to eradicate these errors and now we have more crap than ever.
Just use it for a quick review of offsides and to check if goals should stand, might have them look at red cards as well. The rest should be up to those crap refs anyway.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That might actually help that he never comments on these things. When he does someone might actually listen. But then again the the beaming white toothed German seems to spew rubbish every week and he gets heard all the time. So who the hell knows.

I still don´t get the logic of not giving the pen vs Chelsea it´s as clear handball as I have ever seen. The rule is clear and even VAR sent him to take a look because there was a clear error there.
But I don´t think we have had it worse or better than anyone, all teams have had their share of this and there is the problem for me. It was put there to eradicate these errors and now we have more crap than ever.
Just use it for a quick review of offsides and to check if goals should stand, might have them look at red cards as well. The rest should be up to those crap refs anyway.
Yeah, I think if James was a SAF player Fergie would be making sure to highlight the repeated fouls on him every single game. He would have gone ballistic over Henderson's professional foul on Rashford where he sustained that bothersome ankle injury, he'd pretty much hold the refs to account every single time. But of course he'd earned that authority in the game. I don't think Ole is weak in that sense, just naive, because it does cost us. And quite a few other managers don't capitalise on this either.

But it's not just Ole, it's the team as a whole. They should be making sure when they're fouled in the build up to goals that they are all on the same page.

arthurka

Yeah, I think if James was a SAF player Fergie would be making sure to highlight the repeated fouls on him every single game. He would have gone ballistic over Henderson's professional foul on Rashford where he sustained that bothersome ankle injury, he'd pretty much hold the refs to account every single time. But of course he'd earned that authority in the game. I don't think Ole is weak in that sense, just naive, because it does cost us. And quite a few other managers don't capitalise on this either.

But it's not just Ole, it's the team as a whole. They should be making sure when they're fouled in the build up to goals that they are all on the same page.
Absolutely right there

Maticmaker

Ref's decisions right or wrong can change games that is true, but when VAR was introduced all that was supposed to be solved. Whatever the decision taken it would always be the right one, because "VAR would only be used when there is a clear and obvious mistake"; at least that's how the VAR 'mantra' went.
Up to now it could be argued that the 'clear and obvious' bit has got lost in translation, but whatever the 'margins' applied, generally speaking, a 'right decision' had been taken...that is up until Sunday, when a Chelsea player clearly handled the ball intentionally, within the penalty area but no penalty was awarded. Even when the Ref was directed to have a look at the TV monitor, he still ruled against a penalty... because apparently... "it would have caused a lot of upset".
You bet it would!

If it were any other club who missed out on this kind of decision, with this sort of explanation, then that ref's next game would have been in the seventh tier of football and he would never be heard from again in the PL.

Its not just the decision itself, even though the ref clearly needs to 'go to spec-savers', but the reason for giving the decision, that is completely unacceptable and most importantly why didn't VAR over rule the ref?

GioF

Your joking right?! We get all the decisions in our favour as clearly the refs and VAR are pro United

sarcasm