We know what we are buying, but what are we selling?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by fastwalker, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Jun 9, 2019

Dorris New Member

Are you local to Manchester or the surrounding area? Not that it matters, it's just the quote about Manchester/Liverpool is bizarre at best. Manchester's thriving.
  2. Jun 9, 2019

devlinadl New Member

Everyone has to start somewhere. For instance, Klopp wasn't a big-name manager when he rebuilt Dortmund.
  3. Jun 12, 2019

Devil81 Full Member

My biggest bug bear of this window is clearly going to be the defenders we need rid of but won't go!!

Mainly due to the fact they are all so well paid!!

Rojo, Jones, Bailley, Darmian & maybe even Smalling are all substandard for a club of our level.

I don't think we will get rid.
  4. Jun 16, 2019

tob Full Member

Goalkeepers

DE GEA
    My guess is that he won’t sign a new contract and leave for free next summer. United should stop hoping for him to sign and instead cash in on him now.

ROMERO
    Staying

GRANT
    Staying

PEREIRA
    Contract expires this summer. Haven’t heard anything on him being offered a new one.

HENDERSON
    Going back on loan to Sheffield United. Should be given a new contract offer.

Comments
    If anything would happen - it would be de Gea leaving, and it’s possible it could happen after the English transfer window closes so we’d not be able to sign a replacement. But I think we’d do alright with Romero over the season.

Defenders

LINDELÖF
    Staying

SMALLING
    Staying

JONES
    Staying

BAILLY
    Contract expires next summer so we should get rid of him now.

ROJO
    Probably staying because lack of buyers. Still got two years left on his contract.

TUANZEBE
    Difficult this one is. The best for him should be to go back on loan to Aston Villa and get the experience in playing regularly for a Premier League team. However Aston Villa may invents in a new centre back this summer. Axel also only has a year left on his contract so Ole & Co. may be interested in having him in the squad to see if he’s worth a new one.

FOSU-MENSAH
    Maybe he’ll get to show himself during pre-season before Ole makes a decision on him. Think he’ll end up going out on loan again and then leave by the end of his contract next summer.

SHAW
    Staying

DALOT
    Staying

YOUNG
    Staying

DARMIAN
    Should be sold this summer. Lower his price tag or release him from his contract. Let him leave.

Comments
    Clearly, we’re looking to add a new centre back. In my view, the ones that United should be most interested in selling should be Bailly and Rojo. Darmian leaving, as well as Valencia already gone, leaves us short on fullbacks. New right back is a priority with both Young and Dalot being able to cover for Shaw on the left.

Midfielders

POGBA
    All this talk of him going could be him wanting a new improved contract - making him the highest paid United player. My gut tells me it’s not, and he actually wants to leave. Has two years left on his contract, with an option for a further year. That further year makes a difference from United’s point of view. It means they don’t have to worry about the price tag dropping to much after this season. However, if Pogba really wants to leave, then I don’t see the point in having him around for another year. But I feel that it’s vital to get a replacement in for him before we let him go, and that seems to be hard. If Ed fails in bringing in a new player to mantle Pogba, then I suspect he will be forced to stay.

FRED
    Probably staying.

MCTOMINAY
    Staying

MATIC
    Contract expires next summer, but with an option for a further year. His experiences could be useful this coming season so I’d keep him. Especially since Pogba is doubtful.

PEREIRA
    Depends on what or whom we’ll sign this summer. Think it’s up to him and what he wants, but likely to stay. Contract ends next summer.

Comments
    With losing both Fellaini and Herrera from last season we’d be on the hunt for a new midfielder. Potentially losing Pogba should mean that we’d want to keep the other midfielders we have and at the same time be looking for a replacement. Gardner could be more involved next season as well.

Attackers

JAMES
    New signing

LINGARD
    Staying

MATA
    Probably won’t sign the contract offered by United and leave.

SANCHEZ
    Probably staying. On a long contract. No likely buyer to offer him same amount in salary.

MARTIAL
    Staying

LUKAKU
    Leaving. Should be receiving good enough offers. Just sell him.

RASHFORD
    Staying. Should be given a new contract offer.

Comments
    With Lukaku likely to leave, how are we going to mantle his goals? Do Ole think Rashford and Martial can step up or will we sign a new striker? Perhaps Sanchez can find his form and make a difference this coming season? Play with two strikers or a front three? Will Greenwood feature more? Gomes? Chong? Sancho rumours gone? Many questions here and hard to make any reads on the situation. My guess would be that Lukaku will be the only one leaving and that we won’t sign anyone as our priority in bringing in players lay elsewhere.