We know what we are buying, but what are we selling?

Dorris

In all honesty, United don't have very much to attract top talent to the club other than money at the moment. The traditional reasons for a player wanting to join a club:

Manager
Ole isn't as experienced or as a much of a draw to our club as other managers are. Zidane, Pep, Klopp are objectively better managers.

History/Legacy
United may have the best history, but that could be sen as more of an albatross than a blessing for many potential signings because why would they really have the desire to help United reclaim lost glory versus helping another club cement their own legacy?

Champion's League Football
This is most certainly a big one for elite talent. Ole and Co really screwed the pooch on this one messing with tactics too much at the tail end of last season and failing to qualify for Champion's league. Ole increased his chances of getting sacked next season by about 40% by failing to qualify.

Clearly defined footballing hierarchy/structure
Some players may not care about any of the above, but might enjoy a highly regimented training system and clergies delineation of coaching/players/management. Basically the feeling of a "well-run club", I don't think United would illicit this feeling at all. It's seems clear that player-power runs rampant at United, and I'm not sure potential signings who are most dedicated to just playing football would appreciate this at all.

Great players to play along-side
Speaks for itself really, we lack any players that are truly world-class/legendary or have the potential to be legendary.

Inspirational Captain
Failure in having many world-class players, maybe we could have a single very good player, who is a inspirational in the dressing room and could potentially assist in attracting new talent, but at United, all you'd see is Gashley-fecking-Young with the armband.

Nice City
Let's be honest, Manchester isn't a very nice city at all. Even Liverpool is a nicer city, just down the road. Maybe this is subjective, but how many times in the past have we heard of players being OK playing in London or preferring to stay in a sunny-clime? This one is obviously out of the hands of United, but it's still a factor.

Chance of silverware
United have basically zero chance of winning the league next season, aren't in the CL, and don't really have the bottle under an inexperienced manager to have potential as a solid cup team.

So, in summary... I think we're pretty much fecked. The above points are just things that I imagine a potential signing would take into account when accessing any club, but with United, based on its recent history, the problems run even deeper than just what I've just listed. There are far, far, far better options than United at the moment. It's very sad and I love Ole, but the fact Young, Jones, Smalling are not only still here, but got new contracts speaks volumes about United's ambitions going forward and if I was in a position to make a decision whether to join United or not, for myself or maybe my son, I would avoid them for now. Very sad.
Are you local to Manchester or the surrounding area? Not that it matters, it's just the quote about Manchester/Liverpool is bizarre at best. Manchester's thriving.

devlinadl

This is a really good post, with lots of great points made.

I am going to cut to the chase here and address one of the key points that you raised, which relates to the 'rebuild' at United. I have often heard United fans referring to the fact that the Klopp's rebuild at Liverpool took four years and therefore United should be planning over the same horizon. On paper and on the face of it that sounds all fine and dandy. As long as United can back Ole in the transfer market, which I am sure they will and as long as he is given the time he needs, which is a more open question.

There is however a simple but glaring flaw with the whole 'it took Klopp four years to rebuild Liverpool' comparison: Klopp was already an established elite level manager at the time of his appointment at Liverpool. As manager of Dortmund, Klopp had managed to overhaul Bayern Munich, win the Bundesliga twice and take Dortmund to a Champions League final. Klopp arrived at Liverpool with badges, credentials and an elite level reputation for success. Klopp had experience of rebuilding. He had been there, seen it and done it. Ok, so let's take the example of Sir Alex Ferguson; when he arrived at United, from Aberdeen, he did so having established a reputation for building a side that broke the Old Firm Premier League title duopoly and for achieving Cup Winners Cup success in Europe. In other words, Ferguson arrived to rebuild United, having already done so successfully at Aberdeen. Ferguson was not a rookie novice, he was a seasoned and experienced manager.

In both the Klopp and Ferguson examples, experienced managers with track records of success were recruited to rebuild clubs, whose lustre and reputation had become diminished. This is the challenge that Ole faces. However, he has no such track record of success, no elite level reputation and no experience of rebuilding to draw upon. Therefore attempts to compare the task facing Ole with that faced by Klopp or indeed Ferguson, if that takes your fancy, miss the point. This will be a bigger, much bigger job that anyone imagines.

Again, great post, I really enjoyed reading it.
Everyone has to start somewhere. For instance, Klopp wasn't a big-name manager when he rebuilt Dortmund.

Devil81

My biggest bug bear of this window is clearly going to be the defenders we need rid of but won't go!!

Mainly due to the fact they are all so well paid!!

Rojo, Jones, Bailley, Darmian & maybe even Smalling are all substandard for a club of our level.

I don't think we will get rid.

tob

Goalkeepers

DE GEA
My guess is that he won’t sign a new contract and leave for free next summer. United should stop hoping for him to sign and instead cash in on him now.

ROMERO
Staying

GRANT
Staying

PEREIRA
Contract expires this summer. Haven’t heard anything on him being offered a new one.

HENDERSON
Going back on loan to Sheffield United. Should be given a new contract offer.

Comments
If anything would happen - it would be de Gea leaving, and it’s possible it could happen after the English transfer window closes so we’d not be able to sign a replacement. But I think we’d do alright with Romero over the season.

Defenders

LINDELÖF
Staying

SMALLING
Staying

JONES
Staying

BAILLY
Contract expires next summer so we should get rid of him now.

ROJO
Probably staying because lack of buyers. Still got two years left on his contract.

TUANZEBE
Difficult this one is. The best for him should be to go back on loan to Aston Villa and get the experience in playing regularly for a Premier League team. However Aston Villa may invents in a new centre back this summer. Axel also only has a year left on his contract so Ole & Co. may be interested in having him in the squad to see if he’s worth a new one.

FOSU-MENSAH
Maybe he’ll get to show himself during pre-season before Ole makes a decision on him. Think he’ll end up going out on loan again and then leave by the end of his contract next summer.

SHAW
Staying

DALOT
Staying

YOUNG
Staying

DARMIAN
Should be sold this summer. Lower his price tag or release him from his contract. Let him leave.

Comments
Clearly, we’re looking to add a new centre back. In my view, the ones that United should be most interested in selling should be Bailly and Rojo. Darmian leaving, as well as Valencia already gone, leaves us short on fullbacks. New right back is a priority with both Young and Dalot being able to cover for Shaw on the left.

Midfielders

POGBA
All this talk of him going could be him wanting a new improved contract - making him the highest paid United player. My gut tells me it’s not, and he actually wants to leave. Has two years left on his contract, with an option for a further year. That further year makes a difference from United’s point of view. It means they don’t have to worry about the price tag dropping to much after this season. However, if Pogba really wants to leave, then I don’t see the point in having him around for another year. But I feel that it’s vital to get a replacement in for him before we let him go, and that seems to be hard. If Ed fails in bringing in a new player to mantle Pogba, then I suspect he will be forced to stay.

FRED
Probably staying.

MCTOMINAY
Staying

MATIC
Contract expires next summer, but with an option for a further year. His experiences could be useful this coming season so I’d keep him. Especially since Pogba is doubtful.

PEREIRA
Depends on what or whom we’ll sign this summer. Think it’s up to him and what he wants, but likely to stay. Contract ends next summer.

Comments
With losing both Fellaini and Herrera from last season we’d be on the hunt for a new midfielder. Potentially losing Pogba should mean that we’d want to keep the other midfielders we have and at the same time be looking for a replacement. Gardner could be more involved next season as well.

Attackers

JAMES
New signing

LINGARD
Staying

MATA
Probably won’t sign the contract offered by United and leave.

SANCHEZ
Probably staying. On a long contract. No likely buyer to offer him same amount in salary.

MARTIAL
Staying

LUKAKU
Leaving. Should be receiving good enough offers. Just sell him.

RASHFORD
Staying. Should be given a new contract offer.

Comments
With Lukaku likely to leave, how are we going to mantle his goals? Do Ole think Rashford and Martial can step up or will we sign a new striker? Perhaps Sanchez can find his form and make a difference this coming season? Play with two strikers or a front three? Will Greenwood feature more? Gomes? Chong? Sancho rumours gone? Many questions here and hard to make any reads on the situation. My guess would be that Lukaku will be the only one leaving and that we won’t sign anyone as our priority in bringing in players lay elsewhere.