We need another forward this January

Acole9

Outstanding
Left field shout - Troy Deeney; he's an on the pitch leader and would give us a physical presence that's currently missing from our squad. He's experienced in the Premier League, wouldn't need time to adjust. Just buy him outright, no loan.
I like Deeney he's proper old school unfashionable player.

Red_toad

State of this thread. Makes me glad we can’t negotiate deals if the vast majority of the players mentioned on here are targets. Feck me I’d rather we play Jesse upfront over Deeney. Panic buying a players who don’t fit a system, don’t have the ability to improve a team. What could possibly go wrong, aren’t people fed up enough with the like of Rojo and Jones being at the club? Why would anyone want more of the same?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yeah I've see him play for Fenerbache before. He'd offer us something different , I think he's around 6 foot 4. Well able to hold up the ball and good in the air, has a decent scoring record too. Would be a smart deal at 25m. I think he's 25
I’d rather give Fulham 25m for mitrovic. At least he’s played English football

golden_blunder

Staff
State of this thread. Makes me glad we can’t negotiate deals if the vast majority of the players mentioned on here are targets. Feck me I’d rather we play Jesse upfront over Deeney. Panic buying a players who don’t fit a system, don’t have the ability to improve a team. What could possibly go wrong, aren’t people fed up enough with the like of Rojo and Jones being at the club? Why would anyone want more of the same?
People are desperate and having a little fun. Don’t be a spoilsport. We all know we will sign nothing but excuses

Suvvernmanc

I would have Hererra, Fellaini, Sanchez and Lukaku in a heart beat now. They would solve alot of problems. Letting them go without replacing them was criminal.

The problem now is that we wont get anything of the quality needed in a long term deal. This means we can only really look at short term 6-18 month deals. Who? I don't know. Cavani would be the best striker I can think of that's available. Apart from him, not sure. We really have dug ourselves a hole.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I'd be surprised if we sign a forward this January. The fact that we keep hearing different targets everyday says it all

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I would have Hererra, Fellaini, Sanchez and Lukaku in a heart beat now. They would solve alot of problems. Letting them go without replacing them was criminal.

The problem now is that we wont get anything of the quality needed in a long term deal. This means we can only really look at short term 6-18 month deals. Who? I don't know. Cavani would be the best striker I can think of that's available. Apart from him, not sure. We really have dug ourselves a hole.
Sanchez is useless, has been useless for Inter as well. He should go to the MLS or a South American league. Past it for European football.
Lukaku wanted to leave, and wasn't going to be first choice. The way our attackers have played, he wouldnt be first choice anyway. Rashford has been better this year in this role, partnering Martial, than Lukaku was at any point (or Rashford was with Lukaku). Not replacing him as a squad player is shit, but it was the right decision to let him go.
Fellaini, nah. Guy is not good enough regardless of our state.

Herrera is the one guy who we should've tried harder to keep, as we all know. I'm sure Ole wanted to keep him too, but Ander felt let down by the board for leaving it so late so we got to the situation where he wanted out. Fair enough. Should've been replaced though.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Anyone else get the distinct feeling we have no money to spend?

We paid out Bruno money to the glazers in the form of bonuses so maybe the well has dried up after the tap was turned off.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I say we offer BVB 100m for him and see what they say...
Can’t play for more than 2 clubs in one season and also he rejected us. He was the smart signing though. Release clause fair enough. If it didn’t work out we at least break even and if he tore it up we could have been trying everything to get him to sign a contract without a clause. Just more shite decisions by Ed. Nothing to see here. The names we are being linked with are septic!

Suvvernmanc

Sanchez is useless, has been useless for Inter as well. He should go to the MLS or a South American league. Past it for European football.
Lukaku wanted to leave, and wasn't going to be first choice. The way our attackers have played, he wouldnt be first choice anyway. Rashford has been better this year in this role, partnering Martial, than Lukaku was at any point (or Rashford was with Lukaku). Not replacing him as a squad player is shit, but it was the right decision to let him go.
Fellaini, nah. Guy is not good enough regardless of our state.

Herrera is the one guy who we should've tried harder to keep, as we all know. I'm sure Ole wanted to keep him too, but Ander felt let down by the board for leaving it so late so we got to the situation where he wanted out. Fair enough. Should've been replaced though.
Everything you just wrote is my thoughts too. The problem is that the squad hasn't just got shit players, its paper thin too hence why we played Rashford when he should have been rested.

Our bench options have been appalling this year with zero quality. Would you rather the bench had: Lingard, Matic, Pereira and Mata. Or Lukaku, Sanchez, Herrera and Fellaini.? I know what I'd rather have.

Having our strongest 1st team out including Mctominay, Pogba and Rashford etc.. but with shit options shows the limited amount quality.

My point was just that they are better than what we have available now.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

What about Gameiro? At 32 with Maxi Gomez and Rodrigo leading the line and a bunch of young attacking players... shouldn't he be expendable?

croadyman

Anyone else get the distinct feeling we have no money to spend?

We paid out Bruno money to the glazers in the form of bonuses so maybe the well has dried up after the tap was turned off.
I keep changing my thoughts on this matter because gut feeling is there isn't hardly any money to spend but then you see that Q&A with Simon Stone from a couple of days ago and it makes you think differently about the situation

croadyman

I'd be surprised if we sign a forward this January. The fact that we keep hearing different targets everyday says it all
Yeah it really does feel like Woody (Toy Story) has got a list of names up on a dartboard in his office and whichever name he lands on we will try and sign before Friday, there just doesn't seem to be any name that has been sourced in more than one place which really says it all about our scattergun approach for a striker.

beingshe7don

Werner
Moussa Dembele
Edouard

would be my options for ST. I don't think Martial has the mentality or that fighting spirit to be a consistent 20 goal striker. I mean Martial is more talented than Rashford but Rashford's mentality is that of a United player which is what will help him go up a gear. Werner is world class already and would be an instant hit. Dembele looks like a 20 goal striker as well. Edouard's contributions reminds me of Firmino. His hold up play is good and is very unselfish. All three players bring something different and I think either one would work well. I think Rashford needs to play on the LW. I think that's his best position for now and with more games and experience, he will develop into a proper No. 9. I still think he needs to work on his decision making and needs to start thinking like a No. 9. (fox in the box mentality and anticipation). Martial and Rashford should compete for the LW spot.

Andersons Dietician

I keep changing my mind on this. We need someone, preferably now. It’s just...

Cavani- if he was fit, willing to sign a 2 year contract on a sensible wage I think he would be perfect, industrious, works for his team unselfish and a scorer of all types of goals. However how much to PSG want and I doubt he’d settle for anything less than 250k a week.

Werner- Likes to work or drift to the left which is the same as Martial and Rashford, plays in a similar way but is also competing for a title right now and they just brought in Olmo. Why would he want to leave before the summer.

Dembele- Probably the only realistic option. Haven’t watched much this season but watched a lot last season and personally wouldn’t be my cup of tea but we need something and someone different from what we have. Would be funny to get him now since there have been links with us since Fergie was in charge.

Who knows what’s best but feel like we do need someone.

Pavl3n

I think Ole, Woody and the other assistants have pretty much the sAme discussions as the ones here.
Sitting down for a cup of coffee on a daily meeting throwing names. Until they get bored and leave it for tomorrow. And the next day it all repeats.

theklr

I think Ole, Woody and the other assistants have pretty much the sAme discussions as the ones here.
Sitting down for a cup of coffee on a daily meeting throwing names. Until they get bored and leave it for tomorrow. And the next day it all repeats.
It is very strange, isnt it. They must have had some sort of plan for getting a striker in January aside of Haaland. But it really doesnt look like it. If they pull one out of the hat on this one I’d be gobsmacked, but with the amount of rumours generated out of thin air it seems really strange that nothing is generating any momentum.

Alabaster Codify7

I don't think we'll get anyone now. Fernandes just has a negative feel to it now, for me - I was confident last week, not so much anymore. It'd be a pleasant surprise if we made it happen but I don't hold my breath with these tossers in charge of personnel.

theklr

According to the athletic, we inquired about Cavani on Friday but he would rather go to Atletico.

How badly run are we when we do this a week before the window closing?

Dan_F

I can’t believe all of this and we’re not even linked with anyone who plays on the right. At least we have Martial and Greenwood upfront right now. We have no one who’s preferred position is on the right.

jamesjimmybyrondean

We obviously weren't targeting a striker once Haaland snubbed us. We either never going to get a striker or at least wait till the summer. It's the Rashford injury that made us start looking. He was our consistent goal scorer and now we need another one.

golden_blunder

Staff
I thought as much, but who then if anyone do you think could come @golden_blunder
I really have no idea. If they want long term view then I suspect they will enquire about someone like Dembele. If a cheaper short term then I’d look at Marko Arnatovic, has a bit of quality, fiery and PL proven. But really, no idea. I suspect we won’t get anyone and will rely on what we have

Bestietom

I really have no idea. If they want long term view then I suspect they will enquire about someone like Dembele. If a cheaper short term then I’d look at Marko Arnatovic, has a bit of quality, fiery and PL proven. But really, no idea. I suspect we won’t get anyone and will rely on what we have
Yes, I believe Ole really wants Dembele but really thought we could at least bring someone in on loan this window. Fernandes can't do it all on his own, IF we get him. Hope Greenwood can knock plenty in for us.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Like it or not Woodward needs to spend big money or we can forget this season being anything other than another write off, test Dortmund with £100 million for Sancho and keep pushing as I think they’d sell in January if the offer is right and I think if told he’d be one of our main players Sancho would come.
The dream of Sancho joining us needs to end. He won't be joining us, buddy.
Not only are we cash strapped (or should I say, have a low transfer budget), but Sancho will look to join a better club than ours.
We need to push up the table before we can sign "big" players again. OR we sign a big name manager, who will attracts big name players.

Mark Pawelek

I don' t know why we're not after one or two of these 3. All have contracts ending this June.

--------------- Age -- Club ----- Starts -- Minutes -- Goals -- Assists -- WhoScored rating
Josip Ilicic --- 31 -- Atalanta --- 15 ---- 1170 ----- 13 ----- 3 -------- 6.9 --- attacking midfield / second striker
Dries Mertens -- 32 -- Napoli ----- 10 ----- 983 ------ 4 ----- 2 -------- 6.85 -- mobile modern forward
Artem Dzyuba --- 31 -- Zenit ------ 17 ---- 1553 ----- 11 ----- 9 -------- 7.2 --- tall target centre forward

OK, so none are young 'uns. But we have youth coming throug such as Greenwood. These are players above can do the job now.

Bestietom

I don' t know why we're not after one or two of these 3. All have contracts ending this June.

--------------- Age -- Club ----- Starts -- Minutes -- Goals -- Assists -- WhoScored rating
Josip Ilicic --- 31 -- Atalanta --- 15 ---- 1170 ----- 13 ----- 3 -------- 6.9 --- attacking midfield / second striker
Dries Mertens -- 32 -- Napoli ----- 10 ----- 983 ------ 4 ----- 2 -------- 6.85 -- mobile modern forward
Artem Dzyuba --- 31 -- Zenit ------ 17 ---- 1553 ----- 11 ----- 9 -------- 7.2 --- tall target centre forward

OK, so none are young 'uns. But we have youth coming throug such as Greenwood. These are players above can do the job now.
One of them might agree to come. Then Woody couldn't say we tried but it's too hard to get players in January.

Mark Pawelek

One of them might agree to come. Then Woody couldn't say we tried but it's too hard to get players in January.
Don't think Woody really wants to get himself sacked by Glazers; which might happen if we win nothing this year.

We should be paying something like €15m per player + add ons. Similar to what Spurs got for Eriksen. Offer the player 150% of their current pay and conditions for 2½ years. How could we fail to sign 1 or 2?

theklr

Still think we should go for Piatek if the quoted price for 30 million euros is correct.

A well worth gamble.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Any from Milik, Werner or Mitrovic. Whoever is available & wants to come

Bestietom

Any from Milik, Werner or Mitrovic. Whoever is available & wants to come
Seemingly an offer going or gone in for Muriqi of Fennerbache.

Man United Make Offer For 13-Goal Striker Muriqi, Tottenham Scout Striker Again
By
Emre Sarigul
-
January 27, 2020

Turkish-Football reported yesterday that Tottenham sent scouts for Muriqi over the first six games of the season.
Tottenham have not made an official offer.
Turkish-Football understands that Spurs are still scouting Muriqi but that they have not held talks with any club over their star man.
The Yellow Canaries value the striker as being worth £20m but do not want to sell him in January.
Fenerbahce do not feel they have enough time to replace the striker if they do sell him.
The Istanbul based side are currently in the title race; three points behind league leaders Sivasspor.
Muriqi has scored 13 goals and provided five assists in 20 appearances for Fenerbahce in all competitions this season.
The 1.94m tall forward scored over the weekend in the 2-0 victory over Basaksehir in the derby.
Muriqi joined Fenerbahce on a £3.15m [Transfermarkt] move from Rizespor over the summer and has another three-years remaining on his contract.
The powerful striker has eight goals in 23 international caps for Kosovo included a goal and two assists against England at Wembley back in October.

Last edited: