We need to sign a captain

Sir Scott McToMinay

In his interview with Neville, Evra was talking about leadership and a potential Manchester United player, and saying how we doesn’t even know who we should sign, he was talking about the next captain and a leader in my opinion, that is what he was trying to put across.

We have none, let’s be frank.
So who is that player that has the ability, the leadership, the experience and the consistency to take on such a role in this current United rebuild?

Pass and Move

In his interview with Neville, Evra was talking about leadership and a potential Manchester United player, and saying how we doesn’t even know who we should sign, he was talking about the next captain and a leader in my opinion, that is what he was trying to put across.

So who is that player that has the ability, the leadership, the experience and the consistency to take on such a role in this current United rebuild?
Well I don't think we'll be targeting any players for their 'captain materialness' over any other traits, but I agree we should start going after player with more of a willing mentality than ours currently possess. Would love a prime Rooney to be back in the squad now.

From our current squad, I think I'd give it to Lindelöf for next season. He's likely to play most matches for us, he seems vocal enough on the pitch, and I don't think he'd be too phased by the responsibility.

AshRK

I don't think we can just sign a player and make him a captain. Rather than that, I would love Ole to develop a leader within the current squad. Pogba could have been that but I am not sure now. Maybe Luke Shaw, young and hungry player.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Well I don't think we'll be targeting any players for their 'captain materialness' over any other traits, but I agree we should start going after player with more of a willing mentality than ours currently possess. Would love a prime Rooney to be back in the squad now.

From our current squad, I think I'd give it to Lindelöf for next season. He's likely to play most matches for us, he seems vocal enough on the pitch, and I don't think he'd be too phased by the responsibility.
Lindelof would probably be the best choices out of the players who are currently in the squad.

Johnbouche

If we want to move to a team who are young, energetic and hungry, I would try and get Matthijs de Ligt. So impressed by this guy and the way he carries himself. Born leader and could lead us into a new era.

I wonder would he be more interested in coming to us if the captains armband was included.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Sign the right characters - not just a captain. We need the right attitude everywhere then worry about captain.

Neves, Tielemans, Rice, Maguire, etc.

Not saying buy all these but the all have leadership ability - we should have learned now that it's not just buying the best players but also buying good people.

IrishMcD

I don't think we can just sign a player and make him a captain. Rather than that, I would love Ole to develop a leader within the current squad. Pogba could have been that but I am not sure now. Maybe Luke Shaw, young and hungry player.
Well, he is definitely hungry :lol:

simplyared

Mentioned Ruben Neves in my previous post. I believe we should go all out to get him just for the player he is. I can also seeing him as a potential captain as well. However I seriously believe Pogba could and should step into that role. No secret he's become a front figure for a big part of the squad purely through his talent. That quality should be utilized 100% and him made captain. On the condition he is prepared to stay and fight for the badge!

Last edited:

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
We just let go of a fantastic captain in Herrera. Mctominay looks captain material, I don’t see why we can’t improve his development significantly that he could be our young captain like De Ligt. However, I doubt some of our players will have any of that :lol:. Pogba, Lukaku or Smalling is definitely my choice from the current team. They just need the confidence to show that they are good enough.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Mentioned Ruben Neves in my previous post. I believe we should go all out to get him just for the player he is. I can also seeing him as a potential captain as well. However I seriously believe Pogba could step into that role. If he is prepared to stay of course.
That's exactly why we should act double time on Neves deal, without being worried by Pogba's mood... not to mention Herrera's gone and Matić is in a worrying state.

AshRK

We just let go of a fantastic captain in Herrera. Mctominay looks captain material, I don’t see why we can’t improve his development significantly that he could be our young captain like De Ligt. However, I doubt some of our players will have any of that :lol:. Pogba, Lukaku or Smalling is definitely my choice from the current team. They just need the confidence to show that they are good enough.
Smalling is bang average. Had enough of him and now having him as captain would be a shocking decision. Almost 10 years at this club and he has developed 0 skills of leadership. He should be made a back up player rather than rewarding him with captaincy.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Smalling has proven time and time again, for nearly a decade, that he is not good enough.
He’s a good defender one on one but he isn’t a footballer, you can’t have a player like that in your back four if you have serious aspirations, let alone making him captain.

Remember the geese

Long term we look blessed when it comes to options for a potential captain. Players like Henderson, Tuanzebe, Garner, Gomes and Greenwood show leadership qualities. Brandon Williams too shows the type of fight that is lacking in the current side. However, if talking about a potential Summer signing that can step in and captain us immediately, I can see Koulibaly being a possibilty. (De Ligt would be perfect, but would seem a more difficult transfer to pull off).

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Lindelof would probably be the best choices out of the players who are currently in the squad.
I've noticed Lindelof on different occasions being vocal to his teammates, on one occasion when we conceded he went to 3-4 players to have a word and returned to his position.

Jose said Lindelof in particular had a great mentality in Portugal and he would likely partner the new cb.

He's my choice as it stands.

Dolf

Bruno Fernandes has everything you need from a captain, but he might be a bit too young. Koulibaly would probably be better.

Based Adnan

The senior players/old guard of our team is Chris Smalling, Phil Jones and Ashley Young. For feck sake how has it come to this? Anyone could have seen a mile off we would have been lacking in leadership with these clowns as the senior figures in the dressing room.

We went from Van Der Sar, Evra, Neville, Rio, Vidic, Giggs, Scholes, Carrick, Fletcher, Park, Rooney, Brown etc who were all leaders to the absolute dross we have now.

TRUERED89

If we want to move to a team who are young, energetic and hungry, I would try and get Matthijs de Ligt. So impressed by this guy and the way he carries himself. Born leader and could lead us into a new era.

I wonder would he be more interested in coming to us if the captains armband was included.
Sure Barca have all but wrapped this deal up already?!

Ekeke

Someone expensive and experienced at being in a title race most likely. There arent many candidates like that which will be available

Maticmaker

Having a good Captain is important, but as Evra no doubt would say, in his day there were three or four Captains on the field.

Yes we need leadership on the field especially for 'in game management' situations, but unless we have the players who will respond to the Captain and that above all else means having respect for the individual, then its not going to solve much. From a distance, there is too many distractions, the salary levels and the in/out form of 'big names, to have the authority to tell others to 'get their fingers out' means yours has to be well and truly out and I don't see anyone in our current squad doing that just now.

Maybe Lindelöf next season, McTominay in the future?

TRUERED89

All Lukaku would do is stand around pointing at shit and putting his thumbs up! Doubt anyone wants Lukaku as our skipper :lol:. He cant even motivate himself to lose some weight to aid his performances, what motivation/leadership is he going to teach our squad?

Sir Scott McToMinay

Thats a joke
Well it kind of is, but that’s the situation where we at.
There’s really no better candidate at the moment, please don’t name any Fergie players, they’re all a bunch of bottlers and have failed us time and time again since 2013, De Gea aside but he ain’t no captain material and he’s probably off anyway.

Last edited:

Irwin99

That's kind of what's worrying me about this rebuild around young players coming in. The class of 92 were helped enormously by having real winners on the field with them which took the pressure off them and drove us on in some really big key games (Newcastle 96 comes to mind with boss performances from Keane and Schmiechal). The class of 92 then helped Rooney and Ronaldo.

We now have Jones, Smalling and Young. The culture of serial winners isn't there any more, at least on the pitch.

Sir Scott McToMinay

That's kind of what's worrying me about this rebuild around young players coming in. The class of 92 were helped enormously by having real winners on the field with them which took the pressure off them and drove us on in some really big key games (Newcastle 96 comes to mind with boss performances from Keane and Schmiechal). The class of 92 then helped Rooney and Ronaldo.

We now have Jones, Smalling and Young. The culture of serial winners isn't there any more, at least on the pitch.
Yes, the Fergie players who were supposed to carry some of that mentality after he retired, failed miserably, cannot believe so many of them are still there.
Bottlers.

reelworld

I think it's more appropriate that we need to sign more players with leadership qualities rather than looking only at his talent. I think Young will remain captain for next season, but I fecking hope that he hardly plays anymore and the vice captain whoever that is will have the leadership qualities that's needed

Zlatattack

You can't buy a captain, you can buy players who are driven to succeed and have leadership qualities, not always obvious but sometimes you can tell. One of the reasons i liked Herrera was because he had leadership qualities.

Born2Lose

Agree with this, young players at City can look up to Kompany, Silva and Aguero. At Barca, Pique, Busquets and Messi.

At United it's Smalling, Jones and Young, no wonder guys like Lingard and Rashford think they can take the peas when it comes to commitment.