We need to sign a captain

UpWithRivers

Has to be Pogba if he stays. You cant just sign someone and they walk in as captain unless it was Messi or Ronaldo. We already have an unsettled dressing room. In fact it might be a masterstroke giving Pogba the responsibility. He might step up to the challenge

StrettyEnder07

Think a few of the lads have said already but the "Old Guard" of the likes of Smalling, Jones, Young etc. is quite scary. Not much to pass on to the younger lads not like you have had in the past with all the seasoned pro's we had to help nurture the young lads.

Koulibaly/Maguire would help with this, one of these would be the type of character who would lead by example and alongside Lindelof could form the foundations of a solid side barking out orders to people further up the pitch, hopefully with De Gea behind them, solid base to start from.

Matic I guess is still in and around the place so can help of the pitch, someone like Rice who has a bit of steel about him, great attitude and seems like the type of character we should be looking for.

I would also go for Neves who looks like a captain in the making, again great attitude great character and then obviously if Pogba stays he forms part of the 3 if he goes then replacement needed.

If Lukaku goes (which sounding like he might) we need (IMO) a very cleaver forward, even a false 9 similar to Firmino as if we go for a like for like replacement for Lukaku (say Cavani) we will have the same problems our the crosses from wide areas are absolutely woeful.

Dybala would be a dream signing for me, for that position, with Rashford on the left and Pepe/Brooks/Sancho on the right.

The less Lingard type clowns we have and the more Maguire type characters we can get through the door the better.

The above may well take two or three windows but heres hoping!

RedFish

Think a few of the lads have said already but the "Old Guard" of the likes of Smalling, Jones, Young etc. is quite scary. Not much to pass on to the younger lads not like you have had in the past with all the seasoned pro's we had to help nurture the young lads.

Koulibaly/Maguire would help with this, one of these would be the type of character who would lead by example and alongside Lindelof could form the foundations of a solid side barking out orders to people further up the pitch, hopefully with De Gea behind them, solid base to start from.

Matic I guess is still in and around the place so can help of the pitch, someone like Rice who has a bit of steel about him, great attitude and seems like the type of character we should be looking for.

I would also go for Neves who looks like a captain in the making, again great attitude great character and then obviously if Pogba stays he forms part of the 3 if he goes then replacement needed.

If Lukaku goes (which sounding like he might) we need (IMO) a very cleaver forward, even a false 9 similar to Firmino as if we go for a like for like replacement for Lukaku (say Cavani) we will have the same problems our the crosses from wide areas are absolutely woeful.

Dybala would be a dream signing for me, for that position, with Rashford on the left and Pepe/Brooks/Sancho on the right.

The less Lingard type clowns we have and the more Maguire type characters we can get through the door the better.

The above may well take two or three windows but heres hoping!

Need that if we're going to slice the defence open...

Ekeke

Well it kind of is, but that’s the situation where we at.
There’s really no better candidate at the moment, please don’t name any Fergie players, they’re all a bunch of bottlers and have failed us time and time again since 2013, De Gea aside but he ain’t no captain material and he’s probably off anyway.
He had a spell of 10 good games and was not up to standard apart from that. Smalling was better, far more experienced and consistent and a better defender.

Neither one is a captain we'd want if we want to be challenging for the title anytime soon but Lindelof still needs to prove that he's a starter let alone captain

dogwithabone

I don't think we can just sign a player and make him a captain. Rather than that, I would love Ole to develop a leader within the current squad. Pogba could have been that but I am not sure now. Maybe Luke Shaw, young and hungry player.

If you’re developing a captain then you can assume he isn’t a natural leader. I think you’re either born a leader or a follower. I see nothing wrong at all with, say, a 19 year old as captain. Works for Ajax.

Acole9

Outstanding
I imagine it'll be Young that gets it despite the fact most fans will go ballistic. I'm with the OP, we should sign one. Only problem is where do we get one?

StrettyEnder07

I imagine it'll be Young that gets it despite the fact most fans will go ballistic. I'm with the OP, we should sign one. Only problem is where do we get one?
Personally if we are going to sign one, Koulibaly or Maguire depending on which one of them we get, both born leaders IMO.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Who actually has the armband doesn't matter. If you're a leader then you're going to be a leader regardless. The absence of viable candidates for the armband just highlights how lacking we are in those leaders.

So yeah, we do desperately need to sign leaders but one of our current players will still be captaining us next year regardless.

Will Singh

What we need is players with balls and like Evra said willing to die on the pitch. Non of these cnuts we have now are willing to die on the pitch not even the local boys. So just players who will bust there ass (like Herrera) on the pitch is a good starting point.

Art Vandelay

We've had four managers who couldn't lead this bunch of players, expecting to sign a player to take charge and lead them is asking a bit much. I think we need to get in several players that can be leaders while clearing out some problem players. It's not going to be as quick of a fix as signing a leader.

Last edited:

SungSam7

People say McTominay or if we in the slight chance got De Ligt as young captain materials need to look at the angle of, would Rashford, Lingard or Pogba listen or take them seriously enough?

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
Thats a joke
How so? Is it a joke that Henderson is Liverpool’s captain?

Captain doesn’t mean best player, it’s a leader. And if Lindelof is 1st choice CB (which I don’t see why he won’t be), he’s a guy that definitely exemplifies leader qualities on this team. Plus he’s not terrible like Young or Valencia, he’s our fecking iceman and an absolute rock at the back !

Maguire gives me captain vibes
He’s a guy that could as well if we got him.

At this point, only current players truly capable to wear the armband are Lindelof and McTominay and to a lesser/controversial extent Pogba. Anyone else that gets it isn’t actually deserving of it or just English aka shit.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not sure you can buy someone and make them captain from Day 1 in fairness.

Theonas

Scout
Villa did it with JT, if it's the right person it could work.
The fact that it's the only example out there is surely evidence that it's something that's just not done? Captains need to command the respect of the dressing room and a huge part of that is being part of the makeup of the club. A newcomer just can't be that.

LiamB

Sends a big message to everyone in the squad if we buy someone and they get the armband straight away. Not one person is worthy of it after last seasons performances.

Jeffthered

Pogba stays, then he is Captain. Who else? And it may do him some good.

Toad

Need someone who is actually going to bollock those who aren’t pulling there wait. Nothing better than a captain that scares the shit out of their team mates.

united for life

Yes, we need to sign a captain. We currently have no leaders. Pogba has a string character but he can not lead, he is too lazy to lead; plus it seems he has his mind set on leaving.

It’s funny how names like young, smalling, lindeloff are mentioned when talking about our futurw captain. All of these don’t fit the role. I’m not a fan of a GK captain, so not DDG either.

We have no one now. We need a strong committed character on the pitch. We need to sign a captain; you are right sir

Theonas

Scout
Not many could arrive in a dressing room and immediately lead the team. Herrera could’ve been an option, and I agree that Lindelof has potential.
Even if there were some who can, why on earth would they leave their club for us unless it's a Schweinsteiger.

davidmichael

Maguire, Alderweireld and Rice all have strong leadership qualities as do Tuanzebe and McTominay so they are the type of characters we need in our squad. Herrera should have been kept for the leadership qualities he had and been a strong squad player, you’d have to go back to the season beginning with Moyes for us having a strong team of leaders last.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Not sure you can buy someone and make them captain from Day 1 in fairness.
Hopefully that is one of the reasons we gave Young a new contract. He can have the 'official' captaincy, and then because he (hopefully) won't play all that often it'll be spread around a few others. The new guy will then have a season to prove himself in the dressing room to be a leader, and it'll feel more natural for him to then officially take on the role the following season.

BlueHaze

Posters putting Lindelöf's name forward on this thread. He's already grossly overated as a player on here. Feck me he's our captain now!
Not for me. Over the 2 years he's been here to me he's not showed he's good enough and certainly not captain material. I think he'd be great for a top 6 side which ironically we are at the moment... But if we wan't to get back to our title winning days we need better at the back than him.

RuudTom83

The team is mentally fragile so it's no surprise to anyone that there isn't a real captain figure anywhere to be found at the club.