We need to sign a captain

SwedishFish

Maguire, Alderweireld and Rice all have strong leadership qualities as do Tuanzebe and McTominay so they are the type of characters we need in our squad. Herrera should have been kept for the leadership qualities he had and been a strong squad player, you’d have to go back to the season beginning with Moyes for us having a strong team of leaders last.
The option was literally to pay Ander Herrera 300k a week or let him go. I think we made the right decision to let him leave, even though he undoubtedly had qualities that any team would benefit from, he's simply not worth that kind of money based on his performances.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
The only way I see a new signing can become captain is if it's someone with natural leadership abilities who has done it all in football, like say a prime Keane, Maldini or Zlatan.

You can't expect someone like De Ligt (not that we are getting him) to come in straight from the Eredivisie and start leading a bunch of players who have played in more Premier league games than him.

A new signing is already under loads of pressure, in a new environment and wouldn't personally know most his new teammates. Adding the burden of captaincy just places more pressure on him.

Ekeke

How so? Is it a joke that Henderson is Liverpool’s captain?

Captain doesn’t mean best player, it’s a leader. And if Lindelof is 1st choice CB (which I don’t see why he won’t be), he’s a guy that definitely exemplifies leader qualities on this team. Plus he’s not terrible like Young or Valencia, he’s our fecking iceman and an absolute rock at the back !
He's not a rock at the back hes a guy who has had 10 fairly good games and still needs to show a lot more than that. He's our 2nd best CB

He has improved on his first season for sure, but that was hard not to do because he didnt look good enough to be in the squad.

He lacks the qualities you'd want from a captain, he isnt in the thick of the action leading by example with aggression and commitment like Ander which raises the workrate of players around him, he isnt there organizing the defense or taking charge of situations. He's a perfect example of a player who needs to be led, not a leader.

Henderson does a lot of the dirty work for Liverpool, in the thick of the action and organizes some of the play around him. He's comparable to Ander in that way, not Lindelof.

Lindelof would be like Matip being captain

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It’ll be hard to get someone this summer & right away giving him the armband. But we can start searching/signing players who has potential good mentality or leadership. Rice, Bruno Fernandes & De Ligt. De Ligt is probably not realistic.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You cant buy captain material ready. Some player oozes leadership but it's only affective if his fellow players resonates with it.

Zanetti might works at inter, but if he comes here he's second or third or maybe fourth behind the likes of rio vidic keane.

Every team has their own talisman and it's hard to transfer influence in an instant.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
A captain need to know the team inside out, he needs to be experienced, influential, he need to bother learning the native language so he can speak it fluently (which made Valencia a horrible captain) and he has to have enough talent to be respected (Young failed big time on that). Buying a captain would be unfair on the player as he should be focusing on settling into the job.

I'd go for Matic for next season. He's experienced, he's hardworking (stats kind of shows it) and he sits between defence and midfield which will see the most changes. Having said that we need to add more players who are captain material. Tierney, De Ligt and Meunier to mention a few.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
You cant buy captain material ready. Some player oozes leadership but it's only affective if his fellow players resonates with it.

Zanetti might works at inter, but if he comes here he's second or third or maybe fourth behind the likes of rio vidic keane.

Every team has their own talisman and it's hard to transfer influence in an instant.
Spot on! We might have signed Terry but it wouldn't have been a guarantee the players would have accepted him

'Effective' ;)

Inigo Montoya

A captain need to know the team inside out, he needs to be experienced, influential, he need to bother learning the native language so he can speak it fluently (which made Valencia a horrible captain) and he has to have enough talent to be respected (Young failed big time on that). Buying a captain would be unfair on the player as he should be focusing on settling into the job.

I'd go for Matic for next season. He's experienced, he's hardworking (stats kind of shows it) and he sits between defence and midfield which will see the most changes. Having said that we need to add more players who are captain material. Tierney, De Ligt and Meunier to mention a few.
The Celtic kid? You think he'd be captain material here?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This is one more problem at ManUtd. We don't have dressing room leaders who can set standards.

If we check any big club, they have leaders who stayed at club for long time and also good players. Right now we have players who stayed at club long enough but lack leadership capability or quality. (Liverpool are the only exception I think)

john moran

I don't think we can just sign a player and make him a captain. Rather than that, I would love Ole to develop a leader within the current squad. Pogba could have been that but I am not sure now. Maybe Luke Shaw, young and hungry player.
Luke Shaw is certainly not "hungry" !!!!!!!!!!!
Shaws lack of effort in some games matches that of Pogba and Martial , he needs to be heading for the exit not the captaincy .

Revaulx

The only way I see a new signing can become captain is if it's someone with natural leadership abilities who has done it all in football, like say a prime Keane, Maldini or Zlatan.

You can't expect someone like De Ligt (not that we are getting him) to come in straight from the Eredivisie and start leading a bunch of players who have played in more Premier league games than him.

A new signing is already under loads of pressure, in a new environment and wouldn't personally know most his new teammates. Adding the burden of captaincy just places more pressure on him.
The Doc signed George Graham to take over the captaincy once Bobby Charlton retired. He was such a natural leader that he fell out with his boss after a short while and left under a load of bad feeling.

Inigo Montoya

The Doc signed George Graham to take over the captaincy once Bobby Charlton retired. He was such a natural leader that he fell out with his boss after a short while and left under a load of bad feeling.
I thought he was a complete nightmare as a player and captain!

john moran

I thought he was a complete nightmare as a player and captain!
He was also past his peak (if he ever had a peak ) in a way similar to our current no 7 signed from the Arsenal . Except of course poor George was on £500 a week not £500k

Revaulx

Luke Shaw is certainly not "hungry" !!!!!!!!!!!
Shaws lack of effort in some games matches that of Pogba and Martial , he needs to be heading for the exit not the captaincy .
Don’t agree about the exit, but Shaw is obviously high maintenance and needs a manager who’s on his back about his fitness and application. Which isn’t what you need in a captain.

walkinhop

I don't think we can just sign a player and make him a captain. Rather than that, I would love Ole to develop a leader within the current squad. Pogba could have been that but I am not sure now. Maybe Luke Shaw, young and hungry player.
Hungry alright... Low hanging fruit i lnow

steakpie

We need to sign bloody good players who aren't a bunch of work shy prima donnas.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We need to sign bloody good players who aren't a bunch of work shy prima donnas.
This, in Evras interview he mentioned there were 15 captains in the dressing room at one point. It's not able having some mythical leader, its about having a squad full of self motivated winners and leaders

TRUERED89

The option was literally to pay Ander Herrera 300k a week or let him go. I think we made the right decision to let him leave, even though he undoubtedly had qualities that any team would benefit from, he's simply not worth that kind of money based on his performances.
It was 200k, that's the deal PSG have given that United didn't want to match.

Kaglish10

Lindelof. He's started to get a bit vocal and if he's moved back to a RCB role, he will likely do better because that's his best position. We have to get someone who can play on the left side though.

TRUERED89

Oh please anyone but Matic, terrible choice. He's not vocal at all, very poor on the ball, slow, just don't see him commanding any respect. He cant even get his own game together how is he going to carry the team forward?

Inigo Montoya

Yup. We should of course have signed Alan Ball instead of letting him join Arsenal; he was an annoying little tit but was just what United needed.
Ball wanted to come to us just after the 68 win, so did Mike England, and a host of others. One criticism of Sir Matt was that he didn't rebuild that team.

Revaulx

Ball wanted to come to us just after the 68 win, so did Mike England, and a host of others. One criticism of Sir Matt was that he didn't rebuild that team.
Sadly, Sir Matt was in cahoots with Edwards in keeping the latter’s cash safely in his pocket, and Wilf was made the scapegoat. It’s unbelievable that between summer ‘68 (Morgan) and spring ‘72 (Buchan) United signed only one first team player: Ian Ure, who was signed over Wilf’s head and crap anyway.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Lindelof would probably be the best choices out of the players who are currently in the squad.
My vote goes to Lindelof.
You know that he will behave himself and also from what I saw of him in his last match he played for us, he was performing captain's duties, while Young was keeping his mount shut.

The problem we have is that Ole loves the old boys. Unfortunately, the old boys no longer possess the skill/ability to perform at this level, even though they want to. Hanging onto Fergies players is a big mistake, but due to the cost involved to replace them, we will more than likely hang on to them until they either retire or tell the club that they cannot play for MUFC anymore.

I just don't see Ole as someone with big enough ballz to make the cull.

SwedishFish

It was 200k, that's the deal PSG have given that United didn't want to match.
No. 300k is the number quoted in the media recently. For PSG it makes sense, that makes the total cost about 43 Million which isn't bad for a new signing but for us it would be harmful to the wage structure that we're desperately trying to piece back together.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Zlatan was ideal. Everybody in our squad listened to him and looked up to him. In Jose's first season, he kept everybody in check. When he left, it was a free for all and Jose started losing control of the dressing room. It became even more of an issue when Woodward backed the players, over Jose. Woodward basically pulled the rug out from under Jose and he gave up on the season. Absolute shambles from start to finish (Ole finished the season off with one of the worst runs in recent history).

The worrying thing is that we are going into the Summer, almost writing off next season, given that we are so far behind. And Woodward - he's the guy is orchestrating all of this.

ArjenIsM3

No. 300k is the number quoted in the media recently. For PSG it makes sense, that makes the total cost about 43 Million which isn't bad for a new signing but for us it would be harmful to the wage structure that we're desperately trying to piece back together.
There's been a lot of reports on his wages, ranging anywhere from 120k to 300k I believe. No way to know which one is true. Just because the feckin Daily Mirror has the most recent report on it with their 300k story doesn't mean it's true.

romufc

Ole needs to say to Lindelof, you are my captain, I want you to marshall the team and back 4 by taking control and leadership. By this I mean, on the pitch and off the pitch on the training ground..

We need players who have the guts to go to the pogba's, lingards and say common boys knuckle down and stop acting like children.. Look how professional klopp, Pep, and Poch have their players. It seems Manutd is a party atmosphere, someone needs to get a grip of these mediocre players.

TRUERED89

If he was really demanding 300k, then no one should be sad/shocked he was sent packing. If the club offered 200k and he refused then good riddance. His message to the fans means nothing if this is actually true! Head was turned for a pay day, as if the guy isn't rich as hell already.