We need to stop pressing for the sake of pressing

shabz

It's clear we arent a pressing team, our players dont have the discipline or the work rate for this style of football. Our best results under Ole have come when we've sat back, been hard to pass through and then countered with pace.

Just because we've improved the personnel, it doesn't mean we immediately become some all action, all pressing, dominating team. Its not in our strengths, positionally our defenders are weak, our midfielders dont have the defensive qualities and our attackers aren't known for this.

Our previous seeasons have ended the way they have because we've not had that bit extra in tight games. We now have that and all of our hopes were high for this season but we've completely changed the way we approach games. It was always going to be a recipe for disaster and we've now felt how disastrous it just is.

A change within the backroom staff needs to come but whilst the current bunch are still here, this issue needs to be addressed if they're capable of making that clear to each other.

Abraxas

I don't agree with the narrative that we can't be a pressing side. I think currently we are not drilled well enough to do it effectively, and perhaps we have a few lads that are not putting in the work on the pitch, aren't fit enough or strong enough, or aren't motivated enough. Whatever the explanation is we should probably stop the bleeding until it is viable, that I would agree with.

But while we can't expect Ronaldo to be at people's heels, what on earth is the legitimate excuse for Rashford and Greenwood? There is no excuse whatsoever that I can think of. The idea that "it's not their style" just isn't good enough. They're young footballers, they should be fit, they can be taught - there is no explanation worthy of the name. The only thing I can say is they're not doing it, not that they cannot do it.

We know Bruno can press, we know Fred can, we know McTominay has energy. AWB is a proper athlete, Shaw isn't bad. The majority of the side should be capable of making it more difficult for opponents, not withstanding Ronaldo's age.

tomaldinho1

We have the players and the depth, this is bene done to death. Bring in a new manager or hire a coach with a history of coaching an organised press and that same XI would work, yes even with Ronaldo, if you have the work horses behind him and players who know their roles (i.e. Bruno not going awol)

Foxbatt

Pressing didn't start today. It was there even in the 70s. The great Ajax team hunted in packs. Pressing means to stop the player having the ball making an easy pass or stop him from proceeding.
Look at the way we press. Either they are not coached to press the proper way or they can't be arsed to do it. Greenwood and Rashford couldn't be arsed.