We should complain regarding BBC coverage.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Now I am not one to complain about coverage (actually, have never raised a complaint).

But I truly believe that people should be complaining about this. Hence just thought a specific thread for this was important - at least to me. Not sure if in the right section though.

Ignoring the criminal person in charge I. Denmark for UEFA for the overall coverage, I know BBC don’t control the actual camera footage at the game, but they DO control what they air i.e they could have cut away from that feed to the studio earlier.

I cut some slack for some of the initial footage when it was clear it was serious but not clear how serious (and that’s a fine judgment to make, so should give some benefit of doubt). But we are talking minutes. We are talking broadcasting CPR and use of a defibrillator. We are talking zooming in to his wife/GF.

Like I said I know they weren’t in charge of those shots. But they damn well could and should have stopped that feed long before giving the feed the chance to show it. It’s appalling. Like, we’ve seen how quickly they pan way from pitch invaders for example.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Wasn't there another incident a couple of days ago where the BBC received many complaints? Not their finest weeks.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
It was a tough watch but they had no control. They rely on the feed. You can call it a mistake. But I guarantee the BBC team feels as bad as anyone watching right now.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It was a tough watch but they had no control. They rely on the feed. You can call it a mistake. But I guarantee the BBC team feels as bad as anyone watching right now.
They have complete control, they could have cut back to the studio, the news or a repeat of Dads Army whenever they wanted.

I won't be complaining personally as I don't see the point. They know they fecked up huge.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
They don't control what's being filmed, they could have easily cut back to the studio though, it was disgusting.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
They have complete control, they could have cut back to the studio, the news or a repeat of Dads Army whenever they wanted.

I won't be complaining personally as I don't see the point. They know they fecked up huge.
Yeah they seem to be able to cut away from streakers pretty quickly. No reason why they couldn't have gone to the studio once the seriousness was clear.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
That’s why I said it was ok to give them some slack initially. But they do control whether they show the feed or not. And they chose to. You could say yeah, they might not have expected the broadcaster to show such crude images. But ultimately other broadcasters around the world didn’t make that same mistake just to trust it. BBC should have reacted faster. If not the first time, at least before the next.

The Firestarter

Still hearing the "no control" bullshit.Do people really have not even a basic idea of how this stuff works?

kyofusho

I think a little time should pass so people can collect their thoughts and prioritise what matters in the moment. For now it is Eriksen and his immediate family and friends. There will be time to digest and apportion blame for coverage issues but I think it is too soon to have this discussion without emotions clouding judgements.

Reactions: Penna

UnrelatedPsuedo

That’s why I said it was ok to give them some slack initially. But they do control whether they show the feed or not. And they chose to. You could say yeah, they might not have expected the broadcaster to show such crude images. But ultimately other broadcasters around the world didn’t make that same mistake just to trust it. BBC should have reacted faster. If not the first time, at least before the next.
Im not saying it wasn’t wrong. Just that it was a mistake that all involved will know they fcuked up.

Honestly, I’m more bothered about the instant clickbait articles up on Sky, ITV, et al… that BBC hasn’t dramatised. More concerned with Talk Sport going all in on coverage. Those are the companies and broadcasters monetising it. That’s far worse. But nobody seems To give a Fcuk about that.

chris123

They wouldn't have even needed to cut back to the studio. With every single broadcast they store wide shots for use as cutaways and to overlay graphics over. There is absolutely no excuse for why they could not have cut away from those images. "Lack of control" definitely isn't an excuse.

Reactions: Fortitude

shaky

Sad to see Lineker on twitter claiming it was out of their control. Shameful from the BBC really, trying to pass the buck when they are ultimately the ones broadcasting these pictures to us. They should take some ownership of the situation and apologise at the very least.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Anyone that has a problem with the BBC live coverage (that wasn’t cool)… check out The Daily Mail, Express, The Sun right now.

Monetising the incident.

I didn’t like the BBC coverage. But these media sites have had an hour to think it over. They’re writing clickbait headlines. Rail against those Cnuts in equal measure.

TheGodsInRed

Even if they don't have control of which live cameras are shown, they could have easily cut back to the studio.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Hopefully good comes out of it in a way. Shake some amateur clubs up and make sure everyone's procedures are up to date and everyone shas access to a defib

Sheamus

I think everybody watching was just in shock the moment they realised what was happening. Maybe they should’ve cut back to the studio, but it probably didn’t even cross their minds as everything went from 0-100 real fast. I didn’t look away. I was glued to the screen because I couldn’t believe what was happening.

It’s an unfortunate situation all around. These things happen, and it will no doubt happen again in the future when some unexpected freak accident occurs.

I understand how it can be seen as exploitative, but I hope that wasn’t the intention.

Reactions: Sultan

Matthew84!

I certainly won't complain, was a tough day for everyone involved, I don't think I would of wanted to be in the studio having to fill up time while that was happening, everyone looked and sound so emotional.
Glad he's ok and hope he has a speedy recovery.

RedChip

It was upsetting but upsetting things do happen in life. But we shouldn't forget the positive aspect of this. We witnessed the amazing work medics can do, and I don't feel that's something to complain about.

Sheamus

I certainly won't complain, was a tough day for everyone involved, I don't think I would of wanted to be in the studio having to fill up time while that was happening, everyone looked and sound so emotional.
Glad he's ok and hope he has a speedy recovery.
Best place for it to happen. I’m glad it happened in a stadium with trained professionals on standby. Time is everything in these situations.

Eric_the_Red99

I don’t think so. It was a very difficult situation for everyone, and the production team had to think on their feet and respond correctly in real time.

Sure, they made mistakes, but that’s all it was: a mistake. This wasn’t a cynical exploitation of tragedy, like you’d see from red top tabloid. I genuinely think it was just a case of ‘deer in the headlights’, and I imagine those responsible are probably feeling pretty bad about it.

What is very cynical, IMO, is the usual suspects exploiting this horrible situation by stoking another round of Beeb-bashing

I think everybody watching was just in shock the moment they realised what was happening. Maybe they should’ve cut back to the studio, but it probably didn’t even cross their minds as everything went from 0-100 real fast. I didn’t look away. I was glued to the screen because I couldn’t believe what was happening.

It’s an unfortunate situation all around. These things happen, and it will no doubt happen again in the future when some unexpected freak accident occurs.

I understand how it can be seen as exploitative, but I hope that wasn’t the intention.
Same happened on Swedish coverage, think it took everyone by surprise and once everyone realised what was happening, they cut off pretty sharpish.

Dan_F

Yeah I agree. I think the bigger issue is the actual broadcast feed purposely zooming in every 20 seconds. I have no idea if they’d have done that if it was a clear view to Eriksen without the players surrounding him.

I felt sorry for the pundits when they did eventually go back to the studio as they were then expected to talk about it, having seen the same pictures.

UnrelatedPsuedo

A lot of european producers show the streakers at first, whereas in the UK they are never usually shown.

Must be a cultural thing with Europeans
People are keen to complain about non important things in the Uk. Evidence : This ridiculous thread.

Also, the whole country is told it’s closeted, all the while it’s actually pretty loose and liberal when it’s not told to be offended.

Jaxa

Jesus Christ get a grip,

This wasn’t a planned event, it must of been a distressing event for everyone there and pure shock, you could have easily just switched channel, it’s not always about people like you and your sensitive feelings

Oranges038

I find it funny that they sometimes refuse to show replays of bad tackles but will continue to show this.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Jesus Christ get a grip,

This wasn’t a planned event, it must of been a distressing event for everyone there and pure shock, you could have easily just switched channel, it’s not always about people like you and your sensitive feelings
:confused:

Such a laughable take that I can only assume it's parodying something from earlier that I've missed.

fergies coat

It was a mistake it happens. They have apologised for it. There is more important things to worry about. I bet everyone complaining still carried on watching it anyway.

NoLogo

Can't quite remember what TV-Station it was I watched this on, but they didn't show any of the CPR stuff and simply cut back to their studio, from where they gave any further info on the state of the player and the game. It's most definitely possible for any Broadcaster to fill the time with something that isn't the shots from the game.

MiracleInMadrid

Appalling and complelety unacceptable in every sense of it. Surely somewhere in the line of actions between the cameramen to the broadcasters there must have been someone who could have cut the feed or filmed something else than a man fighting for his life and his wife in complete shock. This was live footage of a completely private situation and in absolutely no interest of anyone else anywhere to watch on live tv.

To the people who keep saying that the broadcasters had no choice. What if a mass homicide was talking place on the pitch during a match? Come on.

Might be an extreme examble, but I am very emmotional this evening.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Appalling and complelety unacceptable in every sense of it. Surely somewhere in the line of actions between the cameramen to the broadcasters there must have been someone who could have cut the feed or filmed something else than a man fighting for his life and his wife in complete shock. This was live footage of a completely private situation and in absolutely no interest of anyone else anywhere to watch on live tv.

To the people who keep saying that the broadcasters had no choice. What if a mass homicide was talking place on the pitch during a match? Come on.

Might be an extreme examble, but I am very emmotional this evening.
Good grief.

tomaldinho1

Yep agreed. It’s fine to keep cameras running if they want to but should have been diverted from the incident as soon as it was obvious it was serious.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Complaints here can only be based around exploitative behaviour. I watched it on Irish TV but it sounds like a similar set up. It was horrendous and upsetting and at times possibly misjudged but I certainly see nothing to be having a go at anyone about. My heart went out to everyone, Erikson, the teams, the fans, even the pundits, who were visibly upset. It was an extraordinary situation. Let's just hope he comes out the other side.