We should have hired Klopp

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I actually wanted him during the years Dortmund were at the top of their game, but it turns out he's an unlikable sod, constant excuses touchline antics.

Also, he's better as an underdog, he'd not cope well being at a club where trophies are expected every season, probably the reason Ed's "Disneyland for adults" pitch put him off so much, not that I blame him for that, cos if someone like Ed told me that I'd run a mile.
He only turned it down when he found out it wasn't really a swinger's club.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
His MO is picking up fairly big sized clubs whose expectations have been massively lowered, and then playing on the underdogs card.
He wouldn't have cut it with the expectations we'd have had. And let's remember he's not won anything yet, and had a lot of falls at the last hurdle (hopefully continuing this next week or 2!!)

Woodward described him as a "Genius" though.

Coxy

Of course it does.

I'd take the trophies we won every single time over 'progress'. Every single time. when we will talk about it in 10 years or more. it'll mean nothing. Nobody will remember, he had a good team and he was in the final of the CL. that's 10 years, more than that well, it won't count at all. whereas we will have a few more lines on our list of trophy won.

There's no right or wrong way of seeing it all. it's just two different views.
Each to their own mate. It’s clear Liverpool, thanks to Klopp, have a vision and are progressing somewhere.

We are stagnating.

Its too late now, but I wish Klopp had come to us.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Come on! Is this sarcasm? Klopp finished in the top 4 three consecutive seasons (all but the first one when he came late October), made three finals and two consecutive CL semis and is on the brinks of scoring 97 points, something poch never achieved (never mind he never won the titles Klopp won in Germany as well), not to mention his horrendous away record against the top 6.

The reality is, neither can have instant success here because the problem is deeper and things need to change from the structure, sack Woodward, get a DOF and make many other little tweaks to the way our business and management is done.
Pochettino is more tactical flexible, whereas Klopp has his team playing one style of football. I am not downplaying Klopp successes, but when you see how much Klopp has spend and compared it to Poch, you will understand that some of his achievements are down to signing talented players. Most notable, Van Dijk for a world record fee for a defender and Alison who both has completely improved Liverpool defense. If Pochettino signs a midfielder for a world record fee, his success will be equal or greater than that of Klopp in the same timeframe. Buying quality/right players improve team performance alongside having a good philosophy. Pochettino only a good philosophy as the board over there is not backing him like Liverpool is backing Klopp. Moreover, Klopp has been fortunate with injuries and I don’t know how they will get along if Mane and Salah were out for an extended period of time, whereas we saw that Pochettino was able to adapt without two of his best players. I agree that neither would have instant success, but they will build a better foundation for United to go back to the top of Europe.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Pochettino is more tactical flexible, whereas Klopp has his team playing one style of football.
We are clearly playing a different style of football this season than we did last season.

For a tactically inflexible manager he's also done well to not lose a single two legged tie since he came here.

Eddy_JukeZ

Did Woodward really say United is like Disneyworld for adults when pitching the manager job to Klopp?

Is there an article that presents this in further detail?

wolvored

The irony being that if you lot had hired him, most of us Liverpool fans would have found him to be a detestable, gurning cnut and you lot would be hailing him as one of the best managers in the world! Instead, it's the other way round. The fickleness of football fans eh? :D
:lol: So true.

wolvored

Klopp or Mourinho after Fergie and we would have won the league the season after Fergie as well. Mourinho would have gone in 2015-16 season. Klopp taking over from Fergie with a stronger squad than he had when joining Liverpool probably would have resulted in another 2-3 titles and possibly another european champions league cup by now.

Mark Pawelek

No.

It would not make much difference. The problem at united is our boardroom think they can do football better than professionals who've been playing, coaching managing, and recruiting fellow football professionals, all their life. United need a Football CEO who has total control over football matters.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
No.

It would not make much difference. The problem at united is our boardroom think they can do football better than professionals who've been playing, coaching managing, and recruiting fellow football professionals, all their life. United need a Football CEO who has total control over football matters.
This all day. Klopp wouldn't come because he could see that a clueless moneyman was in charge.

BlueHaze

With all due respect it's a pointless discussion. Dwelling on what could have happened or what could have been does never help in any situation in life. We have Ole now and need to focus on what we can do from here on to make us great again even if things are not looking particularly good at the minute.

fps

Pochettino is more tactical flexible, whereas Klopp has his team playing one style of football. I am not downplaying Klopp successes, but when you see how much Klopp has spend and compared it to Poch, you will understand that some of his achievements are down to signing talented players. Most notable, Van Dijk for a world record fee for a defender and Alison who both has completely improved Liverpool defense. If Pochettino signs a midfielder for a world record fee, his success will be equal or greater than that of Klopp in the same timeframe. Buying quality/right players improve team performance alongside having a good philosophy. Pochettino only a good philosophy as the board over there is not backing him like Liverpool is backing Klopp. Moreover, Klopp has been fortunate with injuries and I don’t know how they will get along if Mane and Salah were out for an extended period of time, whereas we saw that Pochettino was able to adapt without two of his best players. I agree that neither would have instant success, but they will build a better foundation for United to go back to the top of Europe.
If he's able to sign good players, that sounds great, because Man Utd sure haven't been doing that.

Amadaeus

We are clearly playing a different style of football this season than we did last season.

For a tactically inflexible manager he's also done well to not lose a single two legged tie since he came here.
Sorry I don’t see it. You bought a good defender and a good keeper, but it has been the same aggressive attacking football day in and day out. Only one way Klopp seem to know how to play.

Pochettino went to this Barcelona team at the camp nou and got a draw from there even outplaying them in their own stadium. Klopp philosophy is good, but he sometimes needs to know how to utilize a plan B or C at times.

Patrick08

Sorry I don’t see it. You bought a good defender and a good keeper, but it has been the same aggressive attacking football day in and day out. Only one way Klopp seem to know how to play.

Pochettino went to this Barcelona team at the camp nou and got a draw from there even outplaying them in their own stadium. Klopp philosophy is good, but he sometimes needs to know how to utilize a plan B or C at times.
Alternatively he got beat by ajax in their own stadium. And the football was poor too in last quarter of the game, with thuggish long ball football.

Last edited:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Alternatively he got best by ajax in their own stadium. And the football was poor too in last quarter of the game, with thuggish long ball football.
Tbh, I think that has more to do with his paper thin squad. They look absolutely knackered.

Amadaeus

Alternatively he got beat by ajax in their own stadium. And the football was poor too in last quarter of the game, with thuggish long ball football.
:lol: you must not have watched the game or know about the squad problem Pochettino has. To beat Ajax whose philosophy under Ten Hag is total football 2.0 in possession with a lot of their key players out and a lot of their players underperforming bar Sissoko, shows how a remarkable job Pochettino did to still be in the tie and beat Ajax in the possession game.

purgethefallen

:lol: you must not have watched the game or know about the squad problem Pochettino has. To beat Ajax whose philosophy under Ten Hag is total football 2.0 in possession with a lot of their key players out and a lot of their players underperforming bar Sissoko, shows how a remarkable job Pochettino did to still be in the tie and beat Ajax in the possession game.
He got his selection/tactics wrong at the start and only changed because of injury. He then resorted to hoof ball. Spurs had one shot on target, at home, all game.

These are all things you and others have roundly criticised Ole for but, because it's Pochettino, it's now great tactics.

Fridge chutney

Yeah Pochettino deserves a bit of rope for not having Kane, Son, and in general a threadbare squad. Especially since Klopp is getting unanimous praise for achieving a 3-0 loss to Barca today.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Thank you.

Woodward really is a clown.
Thats a bit unfair. I agree that his footballing decisions have not been top class from his transfer strategies to management hires. However, without Woody's commercial/strategic acumen, I doubt if United would be in a position to attempt to compete on the transfer front, keeping players at United etc.

We need to generate our own revenue streams, unlike City or to stay within sight. (Let's not include Liverpool into the equation -- nearly 30 years of hurt with the occasional success blips doesn't really count. They were/are a selling club.)

Woodward has done well there albeit diluting out brand equity which may come to hurt us in the long run.

We need money to rebuild. He was thrown in the deep end when he first to the job. He has to learn on the job basically.

But where he has not failed is his ability to generate revenues for the club to at least give us a lifeline to the short and medium term to correct past mistakes.

Give him some credit for that.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

It's been nowhere near as aggressive to be fair. They were a far more threatening team that way, but it exposed them when a team knew how to play against it (or weren't stupid *cough Pep cough*). This Liverpool is finding excellent consistency but are nowhere near as scary to face and don't seem to win a lot of games as convincingly, even if they do win more. Personally think he'd have been better sticking with last season's formula while suring up the defence and being more flexible in games so as not to lose points after going ahead, like he did multiple times last season. Then again what do I know? This has clearly worked pretty well in the league too.

I question how sustainable his methods are to be honest. Last season's gung ho attitude may not have been sustainable mentally. All it takes is for players to start losing a bit of gusto and it wouldn't work.
This season has seen a lot of fortune. You make your own and Liverpool are often clinical with final balls/touches/finishes so they've managed to win a lot of games they've not looked particularly great in. I just wonder if a knockback of doing all this and not winning anything (fingers crossed) would be enough of a blow to motivation to change the wind against their favour.

Hubal

Someone has probably stated it already but it was all down to bad timing, really. He decided to stay at Dortmund for another year when we tried to hire him so we went for Van Gaal instead.

Then Klopp has a shite season, leaves Borussia and we simply can't just tell LVG to feck off because someone else is available. Liverpool sack Brendan and can capitalize, lucky Scouse bastards

Amadaeus

He got his selection/tactics wrong at the start and only changed because of injury. He then resorted to hoof ball. Spurs had one shot on target, at home, all game.

These are all things you and others have roundly criticised Ole for but, because it's Pochettino, it's now great tactics.
:lol: Injury didn’t change his selection, pochettino already alternated his formation and had Sissoko warming up before the injury happened. Spurs having one shot at home speaks more about the quality of attacker they had. Ajax only had two, so there was not a huge difference, but spurs had more shots than their opponents. Nah, I don’t believe Ole would have showed such brilliant game management. A lot of fans has questions this aspect of his game multiple times already. He might have conceded more possession and considering our weak point is keeping hold of the ball, Ajax would have been as dominant against an Ole side for more than just the 30 minutes they were dominant against Spurs.

It's been nowhere near as aggressive to be fair. They were a far more threatening team that way, but it exposed them when a team knew how to play against it (or weren't stupid *cough Pep cough*). This Liverpool is finding excellent consistency but are nowhere near as scary to face and don't seem to win a lot of games as convincingly, even if they do win more. Personally think he'd have been better sticking with last season's formula while suring up the defence and being more flexible in games so as not to lose points after going ahead, like he did multiple times last season. Then again what do I know? This has clearly worked pretty well in the league too.

I question how sustainable his methods are to be honest. Last season's gung ho attitude may not have been sustainable mentally. All it takes is for players to start losing a bit of gusto and it wouldn't work.
This season has seen a lot of fortune. You make your own and Liverpool are often clinical with final balls/touches/finishes so they've managed to win a lot of games they've not looked particularly great in. I just wonder if a knockback of doing all this and not winning anything (fingers crossed) would be enough of a blow to motivation to change the wind against their favour.
Yea, I feel that they have been more organized defensively with their new defensive addition, but it is still the same approach, but with a better structure to their defense.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

When Spurs went there Barcelona was resting players. Messi only played the last 20 minutes. Last game of the groupstage nothing to do with today.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
When Spurs went there Barcelona was resting players. Messi only played the last 20 minutes. Last game of the groupstage nothing to do with today.
Exactly. You can't compare group stages game when they have nothing to play for and played their back up team (also everything to play for, for Spurs) with knock out stages with full first 11 available.

JEredDevil

Most useless thread ever. Might as well say that we should have sign Salah, VVD or even Aguero as well.

Point being we could and should have done alot of things on hindsight but we didnt. Just move on.

AFC NimbleThumb

klopp is no idiot. as a club, we are bigger than both dortmund & [recently] liverpool. for someone with ambition i don’t see how he didn’t choose us.

he left a team he overachieved with for another underachieving team that would be ‘overachieving ‘ to win & allows him 4+ years of no trophies but his reputation stays intact.

despite how we are run [there are enough threads about that already] there is an expectation to win here, he’s chose to not take up the task so i don’t see how we missed out.

we tried, failed & he now manages our biggest rivals. i also think his sideline antics are viewed very differently if he manages manchester united & not liverpool.

john moran

klopp is no idiot. as a club, we are bigger than both dortmund & [recently] liverpool. for someone with ambition i don’t see how he didn’t choose us.

he left a team he overachieved with for another underachieving team that would be ‘overachieving ‘ to win & allows him 4+ years of no trophies but his reputation stays intact.

despite how we are run [there are enough threads about that already] there is an expectation to win here, he’s chose to not take up the task so i don’t see how we missed out.

we tried, failed & he now manages our biggest rivals. i also think his sideline antics are viewed very differently if he manages manchester united & not liverpool.
And he has won no trophies in 4 years at a time when the really big clubs like Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal are in a rebuilding process. His progression with Liverpool may have peaked and the rich vultures are circling to pick off their best assets as they always have.

The problem with UTD is not its manager or even its CEO, the problem is the owners. Ask any Tampa Bay fan.

Last edited by a moderator: