We should have hired Klopp

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
No point lamenting about what could have been, the ship has sailed. We need to identify the big manager in football but more importantly make the structural changes that will enable a manager to succeed.

Spaghetti

Mom's
:lol:

the only thing cringeworthy is this post. the state of it.

we would love the guy if he was United manager, particularly if he had brought the success he has brought Liverpool. end of story. to think otherwise is utter delusion.
Mourinho won more for us than Klopp has for Liverpool, and he wasn’t exactly Mr Popular and we found him cringeworthy at times.

I don’t know much about Klopp’s private life, but even when he was at Dortmund I couldn’t stand him. I don’t understand why he’s seen as such a God on here.

TRUERED89

If Klopp had failed at Liverpool, we'd be calling him a naive fool for this comment:
But he didn't, and now he looks a genius for that comment! He's absolutely right too, United do NOT put football first, its all about the commercial bs.

MisterLupus

Mourinho won more for us than Klopp has for Liverpool, and he wasn’t exactly Mr Popular and we found him cringeworthy at times.

I don’t know much about Klopp’s private life, but even when he was at Dortmund I couldn’t stand him. I don’t understand why he’s seen as such a God on here.
Mourinho won us the Champions League? How the hell did I miss out on this that's wonderful news! And beyond trophies - did he challenge city and dominate the league? That's quite a stretch there - I find it very easy to believe why he's so highly rated in fact I find it very hard to imagine why anyone wouldn't acknowledge him. He was considered a genius in Germany too by the way - for both teams he managed.

Bestietom

stepic said:
:lol:

the only thing cringeworthy is this post. the state of it.

we would love the guy if he was United manager, particularly if he had brought the success he has brought Liverpool. end of story. to think otherwise is utter delusion.

What has he won besides Champions League. We have been bad for last 6 years, but still won more.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
But he didn't, and now he looks a genius for that comment!
Not to me he doesn't. His sentiments are fine but sadly unrealistic in football's modern age.

El Zoido

How do people not get it, Klopp could not operate at this club. It’s not Ole, it’s not Jose, it’s not LVG. Nobody can operate efficiently under Woodward and the Glazers. If we’d got Klopp before he went to Liverpool he’d have come and gone and won nothing. He’d have got frustrated by the hierarchy offering long term contracts to players he didn’t want, he’d have got tired of Woodward taking 4 months to sign one player, he’d have got tired of interference from the commercial side, he would have had the fans on his back calling him a fraud and saying “we should have signed Pep Guardiola”. He’d have quit or been hounded out as a failure long ago. I hope Ole leaves just so I can laugh at this ridiculous charade of blaming the manager for the 5th time in under a decade. I’m sure the 6th guy will be perfect though.

TRUERED89

Mourinho won us the Champions League? How the hell did I miss out on this that's wonderful news! And beyond trophies - did he challenge city and dominate the league? That's quite a stretch there - I find it very easy to believe why he's so highly rated in fact I find it very hard to imagine why anyone wouldn't acknowledge him. He was considered a genius in Germany too by the way - for both teams he managed.
Dear lord, is this guy serious right now? Comparing the sh!tty Carabao cup and EL to the Champions League!? I've literally heard it all now!

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Klopp is a fantastic manager, without question. But the other side to his success was the patience of Liverpool in holding onto him despite finishing 8th in his first season and lack of silverware for three successive seasons, and they are now reaping the rewards. Would he have survived at United for that long with the same results and no silverware? I seriously doubt it.

Last edited:

TRUERED89

Not to me he doesn't. His sentiments are fine but sadly unrealistic in football's modern age.
Well Liverpool don't seem to be too commercial for him, they support him and his football principles! His comments have been vindicated the last 2 seasons.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Particularly when he is at a very commercially oriented club.

SteveJ

Scout
Liverpool's x factor isn't Klopp - it's Anfield.

MisterLupus

Dear lord, is this guy serious right now? Comparing the sh!tty Carabao cup and EL to the Champions League!? I've literally heard it all now!
I sure hope not.

Klopp is a fantastic manager, without question. But the other side to his success was the patience of Loverpool in holding onto him despite finishing 8th In his first season and lack of silverware for three successive seasons, and they are now reaping the rewards. Would he have survived at United for that long with the same results and no silverware? I seriously doubt it.
It's not a Manchester United phenomena thankfully football supporters in general are quite thick in my experience. Liverpool fans weren't lenient or patient at all while he was building his team - I had friends who got really pissed off at me because I named them crazy for screaming at him to get sacked after just a few months - calling him Jürgen Flopp and accusing me of just taking the piss for defending him :lol:

stepic

What has he won besides Champions League. We have been bad for last 6 years, but still won more.
yeah, feck that guy. he's only taken Liverpool to 2 consecutive CL finals, winning one of them, pushing what was widely regarded as one of the best club sides in PL history to the final day of the season with a record points haul for a team finishing 2nd, whilst also playing entertaining and attacking football.

but i mean, yeah, we won the Europa League playing dull uninspiring football! eat shit Klopp.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
How do people not get it, Klopp could not operate at this club. It’s not Ole, it’s not Jose, it’s not LVG. Nobody can operate efficiently under Woodward and the Glazers. If we’d got Klopp before he went to Liverpool he’d have come and gone and won nothing. He’d have got frustrated by the hierarchy offering long term contracts to players he didn’t want, he’d have got tired of Woodward taking 4 months to sign one player, he’d have got tired of interference from the commercial side, he would have had the fans on his back calling him a fraud and saying “we should have signed Pep Guardiola”. He’d have quit or been hounded out as a failure long ago. I hope Ole leaves just so I can laugh at this ridiculous charade of blaming the manager for the 5th time in under a decade. I’m sure the 6th guy will be perfect though.
Spot on.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We did try to hire him apparently.
But he said "no", because we were more focused on running the club like a business, with on-pitch performances of secondary importance.

And besides, we need to look forward, not backwards.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That's like saying Man United's X factor was just Old Trafford, not SAF at all!?
On what planet are they very low, they are a top 10 club. You are not talking about Bournemouth.

Maticmaker

SAF in real terms, and in terms of his mythology he was a hard act to follow. Presumably the thinking initially was to bring in Moyes to allow him to develop himself and the club as an SAF MkII. If that was the so called 'succession planning' it was woeful, as general management advice would be not to allow the outgoing boss to choose their replacement, it rarely works out, primarily because no matter how much the incoming manager may be a 'disciple' of the successful outgoing manager s/he is not her/him. Now any serious manager who is already in a top job, would be unlikely to leave to come to United.

Unpalatable as it may be for many, Ole is possibly our best bet at the moment. If he can clean house with the players and the board can sort out the higher level management structure within the club, who knows eventually we might attract a few 'top-notchers' once again.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
I would seriously rather be shit than have that chump in charge with his rehearsed “quirky” quotes and cringeworthy interviews.

This is not because he is Liverpool manager, it’s because he is an awful human.
This.

Sylar

I would trade all the trophies we have won post Fergie for the single CL win (added with the Super cup of course), another CL final loss, the Cup final losses that hes had, second last season and being top right now 8 points clear. Its not even close. (Oh and playing CL this season too unlike us)

Saying that, if we had Klopp, I reckon he would have got frustrated with our owners / Ed. I mean Ed clearly had a galactico fetish which was just odd since the Galacticos worked due to the blend and balance that came with it. But thats another story.

A lot of us would taken to Klopp even if he is cringe cos everybody would have said 'well its cringey for others, but for us it works as hes winning'.
Like Jose during his prime, 'hes a dick, but hes our dick' or something

Spaghetti

Mom's
I don’t believe the League Cup and Champions League were compared to the Champions League. I said “more”, not “better” in response to a message about “the amount of success Klopp has brought to Liverpool”.

Again, no I didn’t say Mourinho won us the Champions League. Although in his last season he did finish above Liverpool, or “Klopps Liverpool” as they seem to be called on here.

Didn’t Klopp lose every final he had in Germany? I may be wrong, and I could google it, but I’m on a hot, sweaty bus with the sun shining through the window and my phone feels as though it’s going to explode due to the heat.

MisterLupus

I don’t believe the League Cup and Champions League were compared to the Champions League. I said “more”, not “better” in response to a message about “the amount of success Klopp has brought to Liverpool”.

Again, no I didn’t say Mourinho won us the Champions League. Although in his last season he did finish above Liverpool, or “Klopps Liverpool” as they seem to be called on here.

Didn’t Klopp lose every final he had in Germany? I may be wrong, and I could google it, but I’m on a hot, sweaty bus with the sun shining through the window and my phone feels as though it’s going to explode due to the heat.
Yes I do believe you might be suffering some kind of heat stroke if you're trying to diminish Klopp's career and especially if you're proposing that Jose was a bigger success for us than Jürgen's been at Liverpool. Get some towels mate dip them in icy cold water and twirl them around your head. It might help - either way I'm kind of worried for you ;)

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It's usually the 8th guy that ends up perfect. You gotta keep on hiring and sacking and soon you'll find the messiah

djembatheking

Spot on mate .

Nikelesh Reddy

We missed a trick. Embodies everything this club is about. Instead we've faffed around with managers who were not suited to the club and now we've gone down the route of appointing a club legend. Worked great when Liverpool did it with Dalglish and Newcastle hired Shearer.
We would have definitely tried to sign him had he been available in the summer of 2013 or the summer of 2014.Had Klopp been available after SAF/Moyes left the club I have no doubt in my mind that we would have aggressively tried to sign him.But he was available in the summer of 2015 when LVG had just completed his 1st season at the club.

LVG had taken us back into the CL and I think the plan back then was to give LVG another 2-3 years and then appoint Giggs as the manager.The club expected LVG to rebuild the club for another couple of years before handing the baton to Giggsey...It was only when LVG failed in his 2nd season that we ditched the Giggsey plan and went for Mourinho.

Ofcourse Klopp would have been perfect for us,but unfortunately he became available at the wrong time(from our point of view).

fastwalker

Klopp is a fantastic manager, without question. But the other side to his success was the patience of Liverpool in holding onto him despite finishing 8th in his first season and lack of silverware for three successive seasons, and they are now reaping the rewards. Would he have survived at United for that long with the same results and no silverware? I seriously doubt it.
Brilliant post that sums up the situation perfectly. Clubs choose managers, but managers also choose clubs. Over time and all things considered, Klopp seems to have been proved right. Maybe he saw what we would become under our current owners. Either way you cannot fault his decision making.

Russky14

We would have definitely tried to sign him had he been available in the summer of 2013 or the summer of 2014.Had Klopp been available after SAF/Moyes left the club I have no doubt in my mind that we would have aggressively tried to sign him.But he was available in the summer of 2015 when LVG had just completed his 1st season at the club.

LVG had taken us back into the CL and I think the plan back then was to give LVG another 2-3 years and then appoint Giggs as the manager.The club expected LVG to rebuild the club for another couple of years before handing the baton to Giggsey...It was only when LVG failed in his 2nd season that we ditched the Giggsey plan and went for Mourinho.

Ofcourse Klopp would have been perfect for us,but unfortunately he became available at the wrong time(from our point of view).

The reason we did not sign him is because of the knee jerk of fans over Moyes & Woody. If we had lept him for another 8 months or so we would have Klopp. No doubt, what were Scouserpoool doing at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveJ

Scout
We should have hired Klo-oooopp
Instead of some morons

Irwin99

Would have been fun. Klopp says to Ed I want players that are fast, quick, of a high technical quality and can press aggressively. Ed goes out and buys players like Fellaini, Matic, Darmian, as alternatives because getting any player is better than nothing right?

Seij

Yeah. We should've signed Fabinho, Kante, Mahrez instead of signing Matic, Fred, and giving new contracts to Lingard and Mata. Hell we should've signed Messi and given him hormone treatments.

I'd say it's better to think about what we need to do going forward.

PyroMan

Such a limited post.

He took over a team which wasn't his and took them to the Europa league final in the first year along-with the league cup final (which they lost on penalties). [15/16]

The second season (his first full one) they went from 8th position to 4th. [16/17]

Klopp's second season, they finished 4th again and reached the final of the Champions league. [17/18]

In the subsequent season, they ended the league 2nd, losing by 1 point (97 pts). Ended up winning the Champions league. [18/19]

Started this season with a 100% win rate and a UEFA Super cup under his belt.

If us as fans would have not seen that improvement and not had patience with him if he performed at the same level with us, then we're equally to blame for the current situation the club is in.