We threw the game

Betson

We scored 3 to knock them out of the cup and we played van de Beek. Just goes to show you how important Maguire is for our back line, it's time you and others started to accept it.

Not saying he is not , but to be so reliant on one player back there is staggering and speaks volumes about the overall weakness of the squad.

Every club is going to have injuries to big players at various times , if this is how we cope then we really are in trouble going forward.

mu4c_20le

Not saying he is not , but to be so reliant on one player back there is staggering and speaks volumes about the overall weakness of the squad.

Every club is going to have injuries to big players at various times , if this is how we cope then we really are in trouble going forward.
I said this in the post match, even the tea lady can guess our starting XI. How would the players have motivation if they knew they were starting every week. Not saying we need world class players in every position, but it would be nice to have reliable backups to count on. Our squad reflects the state of our stadium... years of neglect and mismanagement.

Acquire Me

I don't want to read a single argument about our losing because of a poor defence when Liverpool played with Rhys Williams and Nathaniel Phillips.

No fecking excuse. Doesn't matter how bad our defence was. Theirs was infinitely weaker.
We need to turn up to win. We did no such thing. Mentality is a bitch I guess.

Denis79

I don't want to read a single argument about our losing because of a poor defence when Liverpool played with Rhys Williams and Nathaniel Phillips.

No fecking excuse. Doesn't matter how bad our defence was. Theirs was infinitely weaker.
Better organized though.

Halftrack

Theirs had a good goalkeeper behind it and a functional midfield in front of it, ours had a complete calamity in front of it, and a shaky keeper behind it.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Defensively yeah we were ropey, but even worse was that abomination of a midfield pairing. Watching McFred shit themselves every time they were pressed was embarrassing. Like my god just to think those two play the same position as Xavi and Iniesta, who would laugh if a team attempted to high press them

meamth

We tried to play from the back without Maguire, that's what happened.

Without him our build up from the back is a ticking time bomb.

justsomebloke

You can go on and bang your chest shouting we lost because we were missing Maguire too, I guess you can if it makes you feel better. Its still pathetic as they were playing with a much weaker defence than us having to field a 20 year old nobody from the sixth tier.
Well I'm not am I. I haven't even mentioned him. It's just I find it boring and stupid when you've nothing to say about a game except to call it pathetic, and everything other than how shit everyone is is just "excuses".

cyberman

I wouldn't go that far but it's definitely job done in the league campaign. Reckon that Ole has told them to play at 80%.
I dont think its an order from the manager but the players have seen Maguire get injured for the final and might have thought to play it safe because of that.
Our league race has been run. It hurts losing to Liverpool but the reasons why are so blindingly obvious that i cant understand why its being pushed forward as any type of I told you so.

Matt007a

Really highlights the need for a new CB this summer. Both to partner Maguire and to hold things together if he’s absent. We were decent offensively once Greenwood came in and Rashford went to the left. I’d put CB, CDM and RW ahead of a number 9 on our shopping list at the moment.

justsomebloke

Really highlights the need for a new CB this summer. Both to partner Maguire and to hold things together if he’s absent. We were decent offensively once Greenwood came in and Rashford went to the left. I’d put CB, CDM and RW ahead of a number 9 on our shopping list at the moment.
It's certainly becoming clear that CM is an area where we have to upgrade. However, this also raises the question of what to do with Pogba. If he can't play on the left because Rashford does, and isn't the answer in CM, then what to do with him?

Matt007a

It's certainly becoming clear that CM is an area where we have to upgrade. However, this also raises the question of what to do with Pogba. If he can't play on the left because Rashford does, and isn't the answer in CM, then what to do with him?
I think it's possible to have Bruno and Pogba in a midfield with a truly elite CDM. If we had a Fernandinho, Kante or Fabinho I think that would be enough, but a CDM of that quality is not easy to find. We have to play both McTom and Fred because neither are anywhere close to the level of those 3.

Zen86

I guess that's the problem with having to rely on a CB who's played every single minute, when he's gone we're in the shit. And to think people still think Maguire is average.